Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4367258 - 07/03/17 01:44 PM DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Here's Wags first video talking about the Hornet progress and a carrier trap at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/videos/10159004303245341/

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4367311 - 07/03/17 05:09 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: *Striker*]  
bkthunder Offline
bkthunder  Offline

Thanks, the external model is beautiful. I'm looking forward to see a video about the new A-G radar and the Flight model!

#4367315 - 07/03/17 05:15 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: *Striker*]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
And carrier ATC... marshall stack, bolters, wave offs, push times etc...

mdwa
#4367383 - 07/04/17 10:08 AM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Very nice video... I was always curious as to the physical dimensions of the Hornet. So many arguments about the unloaded and fully-loaded weight of the Hornet, and don't get me started with wingspan dimensions folded/un-folded arguments!! Also very nice of Wags to include which parts are aluminum alloy, which parts are titanium, which parts are steel, and which are plastics... they obviously needed years of research for this!

I'm sorry, but what Wags seems to miss is that at this point, we're not interested in FACTS about the actual Hornet aircraft but rather facts about the actual Hornet DCS module. So what if they've modeled Engine A instead of Engine B? So what if the crew can change the engines quickly and that they're interchangeable? We don't interact with those systems in the sim and I'm sure nobody is going to skip out on buying the Hornet because they wanted Engine B and ED modeled Engine A. At 6:05, he fires a couple of rockets... but there weren't any rocket pods shown in the Hornet earlier. Sure, he could've flown a different Hornet and at 4:46, the pods can be seen briefly, but the point here is that this is something that we're going to be using when we get the Hornet but he neither shows them in detail nor does he talk about them... but we needed to know which system powers the canopy and APU igniters duh

While he talks about weapons at 8:58, I'm surprised that he says "more and more weapons will be added" later on... wait, they've not even modeled the weapons yet? Not even the dumb bombs?

Really looking forward to the weapons portion of this series of videos then...

- Ice
#4367398 - 07/04/17 11:53 AM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: - Ice]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted by - Ice

While he talks about weapons at 8:58, I'm surprised that he says "more and more weapons will be added" later on... wait, they've not even modeled the weapons yet? Not even the dumb bombs?

I just hope they are not going to sell the weapons for the Hornet as a separate DLC neaner

#4367400 - 07/04/17 11:58 AM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: mdwa]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by mdwa
And carrier ATC... marshall stack, bolters, wave offs, push times etc...

Ah I think you have confused what CTD promised with their now defunct E\F hornet with included carrier flight deck crew with what ED have produced.

#4367401 - 07/04/17 12:03 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: - Ice]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Very nice video... I was always curious as to the physical dimensions of the Hornet. So many arguments about the unloaded and fully-loaded weight of the Hornet, and don't get me started with wingspan dimensions folded/un-folded arguments!! Also very nice of Wags to include which parts are aluminum alloy, which parts are titanium, which parts are steel, and which are plastics... they obviously needed years of research for this!

I'm sorry, but what Wags seems to miss is that at this point, we're not interested in FACTS about the actual Hornet aircraft but rather facts about the actual Hornet DCS module. So what if they've modeled Engine A instead of Engine B? So what if the crew can change the engines quickly and that they're interchangeable? We don't interact with those systems in the sim and I'm sure nobody is going to skip out on buying the Hornet because they wanted Engine B and ED modeled Engine A. At 6:05, he fires a couple of rockets... but there weren't any rocket pods shown in the Hornet earlier. Sure, he could've flown a different Hornet and at 4:46, the pods can be seen briefly, but the point here is that this is something that we're going to be using when we get the Hornet but he neither shows them in detail nor does he talk about them... but we needed to know which system powers the canopy and APU igniters duh

Really looking forward to the weapons portion of this series of videos then...

If only mudspike endorsed a true presentation of what is portrayed in the video as you do Ice. It won't happen as mudspike's reviews are written by ED's testers and endorsed by ED themselves. A true review of overall presentation as what you have put forth Ice is what divide's Ed's fiction from your facts Ice.

#4367474 - 07/04/17 06:27 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: Winfield]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by damson
I just hope they are not going to sell the weapons for the Hornet as a separate DLC neaner

Hahaha!! No, you'll get a certain amount of weapons per day... then you have to buy "packs" if you want to use more of a particular weapon. For example, you have an allocation of 6 Mavericks per day. Once you go through that, you'll have to use other weapons.... or buy a Maverick pack for [amount to be determined]. This is a great idea really because it motivates people to try other weapons they otherwise might not have tried **OR** they can just buy more of the weapon they want to use. As ED have said, it's all about providing YOU, the end customer, with choices! biggrin

Originally Posted by Winfield
If only mudspike endorsed a true presentation of what is portrayed in the video as you do Ice. It won't happen as mudspike's reviews are written by ED's testers and endorsed by ED themselves. A true review of overall presentation as what you have put forth Ice is what divide's Ed's fiction from your facts Ice.

Never really looked deeper into Mudspike... isn't that where BeachAV8R migrated to? In any case, I've only really taken a critical view of the video released so far... smile

- Ice
#4367484 - 07/04/17 08:40 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: *Striker*]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Earning weapons one by one based on flying hours might be the best thing that could ever happen to DCS multiplayer

#4367492 - 07/04/17 09:09 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: Frederf]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Frederf
Earning weapons one by one based on flying hours might be the best thing that could ever happen to DCS multiplayer

Yeah, but flight hours does not equal skill. Someone could have the A-10 just on autopilot orbiting a waypoint for 4-5 hours while the player does something else.... so maybe a mix of flight hours, successful missions, and mission kills? 10 missions with 10 A-A kills should be worth less XP than 10 missions with 15 A-A kills. Then comes the question: is an A-A kill worth more XP than an A-G strike?

If we do go this way, I also vote that carrier traps be graded and given a corresponding XP bonus. A 3-wire should be worth more than a 1-wire or a 4-wire, and losing an airframe during a mission is a loss of XP... losing an airframe because you've slammed it into the carrier would be an even bigger XP loss. smile

- Ice
#4367498 - 07/04/17 09:44 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: *Striker*]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I think ED should charge the full and correct prices as per real life for individual weapons/missiles within a full load-out. That should also ensure that it puts an end to SP-AMRAAM attacks as novice pilots think carefully about their bank balance

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4367500 - 07/04/17 10:03 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: Paradaz]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Paradaz
I think ED should charge the full and correct prices as per real life for individual weapons/missiles within a full load-out. That should also ensure that it puts an end to SP-AMRAAM attacks as novice pilots think carefully about their bank balance

??? Pilots don't pay for ordnance use in real life.... weapon employment carries different penalties IRL wink Maybe ban the pilot from flying for a week for a blue-on-blue?

- Ice
#4367522 - 07/05/17 12:52 AM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: Paradaz]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada

Seems feasible if not realistic smile

#4367538 - 07/05/17 04:27 AM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: - Ice]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Pilots don't pay for ordnance use in real life

But in DCS World we are both pilots and tax-payers.
Paradaz is right smile

#4367667 - 07/05/17 08:41 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

??? Pilots don't pay for ordnance use in real life.... weapon employment carries different penalties IRL wink

I don't recall ever buying an asset pack for anything in real life either....for example, driving down the motorway - there are no signs, buildings or features that I ever recall contributing to. ED are now charging for everything on that soul-less landscape, they'll be bagging up fresh-air next and trying to charge us for that too! stirthepot

#4367670 - 07/05/17 08:51 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I don't recall ever buying an asset pack for anything in real life either....for example, driving down the motorway - there are no signs, buildings or features that I ever recall contributing to.

It's called taxes smile

Originally Posted by theOden
But in DCS World we are both pilots and tax-payers.
Paradaz is right smile

True! Point conceded! biggrin

- Ice
#4368805 - 07/12/17 12:55 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: - Ice]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
....I'm sure nobody is going to skip out on buying the Hornet because they wanted Engine B and ED modeled Engine A....

You apparently haven't spent much time in modern flight sim forums then smile

Besides, everyone knows Engine D was the one worth flying. It had the cowl straps on the side! biggrin

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4368854 - 07/12/17 05:31 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE
You apparently haven't spent much time in modern flight sim forums then smile

Besides, everyone knows Engine D was the one worth flying. It had the cowl straps on the side! biggrin

Apparently not!! I didn't know Engine D existed! Shame on me! biggrin
Maybe we should do a poll to see which engine the community wants the most.... so that ED can take their time "developing" that engine and sell it as a separate DLC! wink

- Ice
#4368878 - 07/12/17 07:47 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: Paradaz]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

??? Pilots don't pay for ordnance use in real life.... weapon employment carries different penalties IRL wink

I don't recall ever buying an asset pack for anything in real life either....for example, driving down the motorway - there are no signs, buildings or features that I ever recall contributing to. ED are now charging for everything on that soul-less landscape, they'll be bagging up fresh-air next and trying to charge us for that too! stirthepot

I guess you are not old enough to remember buying a car and adding features to the car.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4369073 - 07/13/17 08:57 PM Re: DCS F/A-18C #1 Hornet Video With Carrier Trap [Re: *Striker*]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
You don't need to 'add features' to a car in order to fulfill its purpose.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.