Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4364226 - 06/16/17 02:03 AM Big Arma 3 sale  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Just an FYI. BIS is having a big Arma 3 sale. Check out store.bistudio.com or Steam. It may be a good time to pick up Apex or the second DLC pack if you havent already.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364237 - 06/16/17 04:12 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Neat, I wanted to pick up Apex if only to have all Unsung content working.

#4364270 - 06/16/17 11:44 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Right on, finaly picked up Apex

#4364299 - 06/16/17 02:05 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
saghen Online cool
saghen  Online Cool

USA
This is a perfect opportunity to pick up Arma 3 and Apex and join us at SimHQ for some trigger time. smile

#4364334 - 06/16/17 04:38 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: saghen]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by saghen
This is a perfect opportunity to pick up Arma 3 and Apex and join us at SimHQ for some trigger time. smile

Absolutely! We would definitely like to see higher attendance for Military Mondays!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4364384 - 06/16/17 07:07 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Apex was worth the launch day price, IMO. It's a great deal at 66% off.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4366653 - 06/29/17 12:23 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
I really, really regret purchasing Apex. It is a horrible map because ArmA 3 is still horrible. And it enhances the issues due to the type of terrian the map is on. Personally if you value quality in anyway, please do not buy Apex. I'd extend it to ArmA 3 as a whole to, but I'd emphasize Apex due to the map. At least the default ArmA 3 map was built more around the limitations of the game design decisions. And I am saying decisions, because I doubt they can be this incompetent well over a decade later. And if they are, they need to switch to UE4 or Cryengine or something that doesn't have this many failure points.

I'll also say I consider us to be just as bad as the developers themselves. Very few people bring these issues up to the devs, and heading over to the forums has too many Yes Men and fanboys with gestapo like mods to have any reasonable discussion. Yet we continue to foolishly buy the games anyways. People like to point to EA and Ubisoft as the problem with video games. But it really isn't, it is first and foremost the consumers, followed by developers such as BI. If you aren't complaining or some how have very low quality expectations then I consider you to be part of the problem. I'd actually be happy if EA or Ubisoft bought BI, because at least ArmA would get some much needed quality control. That is how bad it is getting.

#4366688 - 06/29/17 04:47 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Flogger23m]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Considering how much you hate Arma 3 and its devs flogger you still come here an awful lot rolleyes

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4366762 - 06/29/17 03:29 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
Rambler Offline
Rambler  Offline

Houston, TX
Probably because he was given a suspension at the BIS forums.

#4366776 - 06/29/17 04:50 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And the plot thickens!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4366892 - 06/30/17 11:05 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Flogger23m]  
ijozic Offline
ijozic  Offline

HR
Originally Posted by Flogger23m
I really, really regret purchasing Apex. It is a horrible map because ArmA 3 is still horrible. And it enhances the issues due to the type of terrian the map is on. Personally if you value quality in anyway, please do not buy Apex. I'd extend it to ArmA 3 as a whole to, but I'd emphasize Apex due to the map. At least the default ArmA 3 map was built more around the limitations of the game design decisions. And I am saying decisions, because I doubt they can be this incompetent well over a decade later. And if they are, they need to switch to UE4 or Cryengine or something that doesn't have this many failure points.

I'll also say I consider us to be just as bad as the developers themselves. Very few people bring these issues up to the devs, and heading over to the forums has too many Yes Men and fanboys with gestapo like mods to have any reasonable discussion. Yet we continue to foolishly buy the games anyways. People like to point to EA and Ubisoft as the problem with video games. But it really isn't, it is first and foremost the consumers, followed by developers such as BI. If you aren't complaining or some how have very low quality expectations then I consider you to be part of the problem. I'd actually be happy if EA or Ubisoft bought BI, because at least ArmA would get some much needed quality control. That is how bad it is getting.

I have to say that I bought it for SP, but on experiencing the rather lackluster campaign which comes with it, I asked for a refund and got it (the only game I refunded so far; well, besides SC who denied my request). Also didn't really like the direction they were going towards, so I decided not to buy the DLC's which are related to this futuristic setting with fantasy equipment I have no interest for (e.g. helicopters, jets, karts, etc.), even if on sale. But, I guess the majority is OK with that so BI continues in the same track.

But, despite the engine limitations, I do find Arma 3 a major step forward engine-wise compared to the earlier stuff.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SoundBlaster 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat-switch. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH average.
#4366893 - 06/30/17 11:07 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

yea single player is where the arma series as a whole falls flat of its arse and bouncesto fall on its arse again. It just wasn't designed for it sigh

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4366894 - 06/30/17 11:10 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I haven't played single player since ArmA 2 and that only briefly.

The problem is that once you have experienced cooperative MP, you never really want to go back to playing SP. By comparison, SP is pretty dull and boring in my opinion.

#4366979 - 06/30/17 06:23 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Meatsheild]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Meatsheild
yea single player is where the arma series as a whole falls flat of its arse and bouncesto fall on its arse again. It just wasn't designed for it sigh

Which is very odd for me because campaign in Operation Flashpoint was one of the best SP experience ever. I have no idea why it became so flat in all Arma games. I'd really love they make a remake of that campaign using A3 engine.

#4366983 - 06/30/17 06:53 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by USSCheyenne

Which is very odd for me because campaign in Operation Flashpoint was one of the best SP experience ever. I have no idea why it became so flat in all Arma games. I'd really love they make a remake of that campaign using A3 engine.

I also played the OFP campaigns and enjoyed them a lot. I think what happened to me is that I got spoiled by the awesome MP coop experience of the ArmA titles. Once I got used to that, the SP aspect was very dull to me by comparison.

#4366998 - 06/30/17 08:35 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

perhaps it was maybe because the internet wasnt such a huge thing back in 2001 so they concentrated more on the single player side??

#4367021 - 07/01/17 01:01 AM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Vertigo1]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

It's not really the mechanics IMO that hurts the SP in comparison to OFP. The AI and clunkiness were worse back in OFP. The mission design and balancing were much better though. The story was compelling and enemy soldiers didn't wear super-armor that takes 6 shots to kill through. For some reason BI just refuses to return to an OFP style campaign. Almost like they are trying to prove a point or something. Arma3's original campaign was the closest thing but they really dropped the ball in the last chapter for some reason.

Plus back in 2001, to play a campaign like that in an open world environment that's 40 missions (and like 40 hours long) was just such a new, cool experience. There had been nothing like it at the time.

#4367082 - 07/01/17 07:39 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Meatsheild]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Considering how much you hate Arma 3 and its devs flogger you still come here an awful lot rolleyes

And I'm certainly glad they gave me one! They gave us another map which still has the same issues as the old ones, so I called them out on it. They got upset, which is typical of them. People complain about the ED forums, but BI forums were that way for about a decade. If anything, the fans are roughly the same but the moderators on the BI forums are more strict. Don't mention that the AI runs regularly walks through buildings otherwise you'll get dog piled by moderators claiming that is somehow not an issue, or fans outright denying it happens.

The "it is built for MP" response gets tiresome, because the game is horrendous for it. Both due to engine limitations and gameplay modes. Battlefield offers a much better and more well designed multiplayer experiences. You can try co-op, but you will still experience the same issues: AI walking through buildings, cheating, crappy control scheme which can't be fixed via mods, AI which can't drive a tank across a bridge, or the inability to get off a boat and walk onto a pier.

But as long as we have yet another zombie survival mod, all is good in their eyes. Which is fine... but ArmA 3 is essentially a slightly more polished Goat Simulator when playing these silly mods. I'd like a semi tactical, semi realistic shooter, but that seems to be fading quickly as BI seems to have little to no interest in that kind of gameplay.

#4367084 - 07/01/17 08:01 PM Re: Big Arma 3 sale [Re: Flogger23m]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted by Flogger23m

And I'm certainly glad they gave me one! They gave us another map which still has the same issues as the old ones, so I called them out on it. They got upset, which is typical of them. People complain about the ED forums, but BI forums were that way for about a decade. If anything, the fans are roughly the same but the moderators on the BI forums are more strict. Don't mention that the AI runs regularly walks through buildings otherwise you'll get dog piled by moderators claiming that is somehow not an issue, or fans outright denying it happens.

The "it is built for MP" response gets tiresome, because the game is horrendous for it. Both due to engine limitations and gameplay modes. Battlefield offers a much better and more well designed multiplayer experiences. You can try co-op, but you will still experience the same issues: AI walking through buildings, cheating, crappy control scheme which can't be fixed via mods, AI which can't drive a tank across a bridge, or the inability to get off a boat and walk onto a pier.

But as long as we have yet another zombie survival mod, all is good in their eyes. Which is fine... but ArmA 3 is essentially a slightly more polished Goat Simulator when playing these silly mods. I'd like a semi tactical, semi realistic shooter, but that seems to be fading quickly as BI seems to have little to no interest in that kind of gameplay.

We do just fine in our sessions. And no, Battlefield would not fill in for the type of gameplay we do. Not even close.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.