Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4366504 - 06/28/17 07:28 AM CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80!  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
If you ever wanted to play harpoon but hated the ancient interface, CMANO is where it's at.

Imagine a mix of Harpoon and Fleet Command with greater fidelity and more units than FC. Harpoon still wins on the customizability of the databases, but CMANO is a pretty good replacement.

Great Naval Strategy and Tactics simulation. Highly recommend it especially at the current price.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4366692 - 06/29/17 05:53 AM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Dimitris Offline
Dimitris  Offline

Greece
Glad you like it!

On DB editing, two observations:

1) CMANO allows many modifications on existing units without ever touching the DB, just through the scenario editor. You can modify weapons, sensors, datalinks, fuel, magazines, air/dock facilities etc. and create all sorts of combinations. The modified units can also be shared among scenarios. The main limitation is that you cannot create brand-new units or components. (It's like playing with a bottomless LEGO set; you cannot make new brick types, but you have unlimited bricks for what you want to put together).

2) Both DBs are regularly updated with new units and systems requested by players on the dedicated DB3K and CWDB threads.

I should also point out that CMANO is really a cross-domain wargame rather than strictly naval. You get naval, air, near-space, strategic and even limited land ops. Big part of its charm smile

#4366693 - 06/29/17 06:31 AM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

On DB editing:

MNO only allows users to mix and match those items already in a database. There is no possibility whatsoever to create anything new. Users are limited by the imagination of the developer, whereas Harpoon players are only limited by the Laws of Physics and Aerodynamics.

Both DBs currently included within the MNO game are crippled by unrealistic and unnatural behaviours. This means that no matter how much players 'shuffle the deck of MNO DB items', they can never truly free themselves from crippled aircraft performance. Those interested in realistic behaviour should avail themselves of either Fleet Command or Harpoon.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4366697 - 06/29/17 07:55 AM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Vincenzo_Beretta Offline
Vincenzo_Beretta  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
If you ever wanted to play harpoon but hated the ancient interface, CMANO is where it's at.

Imagine a mix of Harpoon and Fleet Command with greater fidelity and more units than FC. Harpoon still wins on the customisability of the databases

Not only that, but the "ancient interface" that you hate (it really needs a commitment of 30 mins to learn the in and; outs); multiple windows (and this is a big one, believe me); realistic weather model with organic changes over time (no "if it rains on Paris then it rains over New Zealand too!"); automatic "position keeping" of ships when a formation changes course; MULTIPLAYER!; and a database where you aren't limited to put Tomahawks on a Kirov to see if it would be a good idea, but an actually moddable DB - the way followed by many contemporary successful games (from Skyrim to Paradox's Europa Universalis IV, to, ironically, Matrix/Slitherine's ***own*** successful games like Distant Worlds or War in the Pacific: AE).

And the roots of Harpoon go back to 1994 - almost 20 years before Command was released.

For that price (and, yes, I bought the game) I would expect a real "modern Harpoon" - with, at the very least, all the above features, along with the new ones (the latter only when they do work: Command, actually, isn't a difficult game at all, mostly because the AI is broken; if you rely on the AI both for your own operation and enemy ones' (when creating a scenario), you lose; if you micromanage everything you win the "hardest scenario in Northern Inferno!" just like that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8s5eFdG7tQ) - the only challenge being to face 4:30 boring hours.

Command and the answers of its developers, are a bit like Kellyanne Conway - All the Ships of the World Edition. They didn't cut features that Harpoon had: they repealed Harpooncare so to have more features for the richest "Pro" Edition - while having you paying more for the whole package. But they aren't called "cuts".

And the spectre of features you ***have already paid for*** being cut down the line is always there. The first time WarfareSims tried this stunt, they faced an angry mob which came out with dogs and pitchforks - and folded (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=4065.msg501984#msg501984 - and following). But the attempt was made.

Oh, I almost forgot! It isn't true that you can't edit Command's Database. It is just "alternative editing" smile

Last edited by Vincenzo_Beretta; 06/29/17 08:03 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
#4366735 - 06/29/17 12:13 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Dimitris Offline
Dimitris  Offline

Greece
VF9_Longbow < While the hating duo are spewing forth their obligatory venom (don't take it personally, they do it on most of our new releases and sale periods), allow me to get you up to speed.

Here's a primer on resources, reading material and getting help: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3607586

The MatrixGames CMANO forum: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1154

And one of our preferred live discussion channels on Discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/268118859448320000

If you have any question or difficulty, feel free to post either here on in the MG forum or even better on the Discord channel (you will probably get the fastest response there). We're here to help you get the most out of the Command series.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dimitris; 06/29/17 12:44 PM.
#4366736 - 06/29/17 12:23 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: Vincenzo_Beretta]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

Originally Posted by Vincenzo_Beretta
Command and the answers of its developers, are a bit like Kellyanne Conway - All the Ships of the World Edition. They didn't cut features that Harpoon had: they repealed Harpooncare so to have more features for the richest "Pro" Edition - while having you paying more for the whole package. But they aren't called "cuts".

And the spectre of features you ***have already paid for*** being cut down the line is always there. The first time WarfareSims tried this stunt, they faced an angry mob which came out with dogs and pitchforks - and folded (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=4065.msg501984#msg501984 - and following). But the attempt was made.

Unfortunately, the game developers failed to learn from their VCR fiasco. Instead, they continued to cripple this HostageWare game to make earlier customers re-purchase the same functions and features for which they already paid.

Stand Up requires Chains of War

The lesson here is: just because you paid for something, does not mean that the MNO developers will not try to remove it in the future and force you to pay for it again to run a scenario; then again, they did not learn from the first time they tried the same stunt with Unannounced Database changes

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4366795 - 06/29/17 06:40 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
It really would be nice if the detractors had something better to do than diligently complain on each and every forum, including the steam forums. If Harpoon was all that fun, you think they would just go play that. But no, they play "let me save you from CMANO". So in a way, they too would not have a passtime if not for CMANO. See? We're all brothers here.

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#4366797 - 06/29/17 06:45 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

It is noticeable how another MNO fanboi is unable to actually refute any of the honest criticisms registered against this wretched game. Instead, begging critics to stop showing the world how badly the game runs is about all that the MNO community can do.

If MNO were any fun at all to play, there would be no need for the desperate sales and constant attempts to pimp it. Sadly, laughing at the deplorable state of MNO is far more fun than trying to play this turkey. nope

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4366835 - 06/29/17 09:59 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: Dimitris]  
Vincenzo_Beretta Offline
Vincenzo_Beretta  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by Dimitris
VF9_Longbow < While the hating duo are spewing forth their obligatory venom (don't take it personally, they do it on most of our new releases and sale periods), allow me to get you up to speed.

"The (failing) @hating_duo is so wrong, so envious. Come and join us at our forums #NorthKorea!" biggrin

But, seriously, VF9_Longbow, consider what I wrote and, please, notice the most important thing: it is always those who point out the flaws and the problems who end up being attacked; what they say about the game seldom (if ever) is.

When I posted my review of Command on Steam I was immediately banned and the review was deleted. It was perfectly fine, not insulting, and as much factual as I could. I later learned that the forum is ran by... the developers. The very same review is still up in the reviews section for the game that you can access from the main page. This should be enough to give an idea of what means to discuss Command in a forum run by the developers. As I use to joke, sometimes I have the impression that if I write "BOOOOOOO!" everyone will jump and hit the roof. smile

To sinner6: the game is not cheap even when discounted. A lot of people do seem to love it but (for reasons I never understood) the publishers decided to pimp it to eleven when there is simply a better alternative on the market (which they spiked) still on sale at a much cheaper price. My #NorthKorea is only an half-joke - because there are people in that country who really (and honestly) don't know that there is a whole, and different, and better world out there. No one of us makes money or anything else from Harpoon - but I do feel nothing wrong in pointing out my best estimate of the objective state of affairs, so that potential buyers may make an informed choice - which can, of course, still be North Korea.

#4367643 - 07/05/17 06:40 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
Hi guys!

New around here and thought I would ask some questions as a former "Fleet Command" fan.

It is sometime hard to recive info from die-hard Harpoon or CMANO fans, so I´ll give it another try...

I own the Matrix Harpoon collection and Command: Nothern Inferno. Which of the Harpoons in the collection should I learn/play, Harppon 3 v3.9.4 or Harpoon 3 Ultimate ANW ? Is there anything else I should know regarding these two editions when playing?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gearzlut; 07/05/17 06:44 PM.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4367666 - 07/05/17 08:40 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

Originally Posted by Gearzlut
Which of the Harpoons in the collection should I learn/play, Harppon 3 v3.9.4 or Harpoon 3 Ultimate ANW ? Is there anything else I should know regarding these two editions when playing?

The multitude of versions for Harpoon can be quite confusing. Personally, I call Harpoon3 v3.6.3 [H3] Harpoon3 v3.9.4 [ANW] and Harpoon3 v3.10.0 [HUE].

H3 has the most aggressive AI for solitaire play. H3 has no MP capability.
ANW is the only version with MP capability.
HUE is the final version, has the most bugs, and no MP capability.

I play H3 for solitaire and only play ANW for multi-player. I do not bother with HUE, unless I have no other choice.

The official scenarios released by the publisher are very buggy. You should have better luck with third-party scenarios.

Harpoon HUE users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library

PlayersDB for Harpoon on Facebook

Frequently Asked Questions

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4367681 - 07/05/17 11:03 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: Herman]  

LEGE
Originally Posted by Herman
Originally Posted by Gearzlut
Which of the Harpoons in the collection should I learn/play, Harppon 3 v3.9.4 or Harpoon 3 Ultimate ANW ? Is there anything else I should know regarding these two editions when playing?

The multitude of versions for Harpoon can be quite confusing. Personally, I call Harpoon3 v3.6.3 [H3] Harpoon3 v3.9.4 [ANW] and Harpoon3 v3.10.0 [HUE].

H3 has the most aggressive AI for solitaire play. H3 has no MP capability.
ANW is the only version with MP capability.
HUE is the final version, has the most bugs, and no MP capability.

I play H3 for solitaire and only play ANW for multi-player. I do not bother with HUE, unless I have no other choice.

The official scenarios released by the publisher are very buggy. You should have better luck with third-party scenarios.

Harpoon HUE users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library

PlayersDB for Harpoon on Facebook

Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Herman,

Thank you for your reply and help. I now understand better the different versions, as you said, it´s a bit confusing. The only problem I see now is that the Harpoon v3.6.3 screen is quite small, on the other hand Harpoon ANW is big enough for my old eyes. Would it be fair to say, just play with the ANW version as it´s the same as 3.6.3 but with the added MP option?

BTW I updated both DB´s, thank you!

Also, thank you for all your Harpoon video´s on YT, been watching those and your War in the Pacific (which I also have) videos now and in the past, great to watch and learn!

Best regards,

GZ

PD.: Just saw your "Trying to work out the best version for a novice" video which explains bug issues (mayor and minor) between v3.6.3 and ANW ,so I guess will have to live with that. Still wish the screen resolution was bigger for v3.6.3.

--

Last edited by Gearzlut; 07/05/17 11:47 PM.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4367688 - 07/06/17 01:07 AM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

Glad to hear that the videos are useful. We're here to help.

It would not be fair to say that ANW is the same as v3.6.3 (with MP.) The ANW (and HUE) versions have much more passive AI behaviour. Also, the player has less control over his air defences. The AI will just 'take over' and, too often, force your units to do things that you probably do not want to happen.

There are a few ways to get your H3 v3.6.3 into full window mode.

1. Use the H3 Launcher utility program that can be found here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1628

2. Manually move the RunInWindow.opt file from your "Harpoon3/options" folder to the "Harpoon3/options/disabled" folder

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4367873 - 07/07/17 11:43 AM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: Herman]  

LEGE
Hi Herman,

Once again, thanks for your kind help!

Moving the "RunInWindow.opt file back to the disable folder makes it full window mode but the windows don´t quite generate well, you have to pass your cursor over the window and slowly you start seeing the text again as it regenerates. Quite strange but since it dosent load the windows right I doubt I will be using this option. I´ll will just have to live with the default screen size.

Regarding the launcher, the dowload link brings up a HTML link, or I get that "slowdown cowboy" msg from Subsim duck Yes Iam logged in. This has happen to me in other ocasions with other downloads at Subsim.

Kind regards,

GZ

#4367878 - 07/07/17 12:00 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

It is true that the full window mode for H3 can result in elongated circles. The game was released in 1994, when there was not wide-screen capability. Nothing can be done about it.

The phenomenon you describe regarding the need to 'wipe the screen' with the cursor has been encountered before, in different ways. IIRC, the easiest way to get the screen to re-fresh is to minimize the game/window and then re-enlarge it. The game is old and I do not believe it refreshes quickly enough, otherwise.

ANW has some better handling for wide-screens. You can get the widest screen possible my running the game in Window Mode and then moving the Height/Width sliders all the way to the right, as shown in the image.

I just tried to DL the file from SubSim and had no problem. I suggest that you try it again, later. Or, log out and then log back onto SubSim. If the problem persists, send me a PM with an address that will accept a file attachment. The utility is very small and can be sent via e-mail.

Attached Files WideScreen.gif

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4367927 - 07/07/17 05:14 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: Herman]  

LEGE

Thank you Herman!

Iam afraid I can´t download from Subsim (not this file). Private msg sent...

Regards,

GZ

PD.: Sorry for the off-topic guys!

--

Last edited by Gearzlut; 07/07/17 05:16 PM.

#4367928 - 07/07/17 05:22 PM Re: CMANO is on sale for under $30, 65% off the usual $80! [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Herman Online content
Herman  Online Content

File sent. Be careful to heed the instructions posted to SubSim:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1628

Please let the SubSim admin know about your inability to DL files.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=209959

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.