Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 517 of 608 1 2 515 516 517 518 519 607 608
#4365842 - 06/24/17 01:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The morning looks to be hot and dry but the afternoon may bring more precipitation. Our skies are partly sunny. The current temp is a sultry 79°F. with an 87% humidity. There is an 11 mph wind from the SSW. A visibility of 10 m is reported and a barometric pressure of 29.88 in. at 9:18 AM.

We have visitors coming down from Boston today. They are on their way to Orlando, Fla. They should arrive about noon after a fatiguing 12-hour drive. I hope they find the hot, humid weather down south to their liking. The humidity is supposed to lessen over the coming days here, I cannot speak for sunny Florida. We plan a barbecue for the late afternoon. Thick steaks and local sausages with many sides and various beverages. Their kids are about the same ages as ours. They plan an early morning departure. May their drive be a safe one.

It is Saturday, June 24th. Just one more week of June is left for this year according to my calendar, maybe your's is different? I knew a fellow once who kept a 1966 calendar up on the closet door of his room for 3 years because he liked the paintings of the girls on it so much. He never knew what date it really was. You used to get those type of advertising calendars from service stations or occasionally in the mail. Now everyone carries an electronic calendar in their pocket on their smartphone... but without the girls.

Enjoy summer while it lasts. We have until the Autumn Equinox on September 22 at 4:02 PM (Eastern Time). Incidentally, for those who have neglected their shopping list, there are just 183 shopping days until December 25th. I drew LeRoy's name last Christmas. I don't think he has quite forgiven me for the hand-painted tie I gave him. Perhaps if I hadn't used regular latex house paint to paint it he would have liked it better? wink

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4365886 - 06/24/17 08:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

It seems like I currently cannot log in via Opera. Then it is a good thing to that I also have Chrome on my PC.

Very little to report except the weather seems to be stuck in the same rut for another couple of weeks i.e. showers and below 20 C or heavier showers and slightly higher temperatures. Not boding well for the annual summer vacation which comes up by the end of next week. Oh well, getting a bit of indoor swim training and sitting in a sauna is always an option I guess. It worked OK this Friday as I swam 2250 m in about an hour 15 min.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4365893 - 06/24/17 08:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

My mini Opera seems unusually slow on my phone this afternoon. I never log in from the phone rather just read new posts on it from my e-mail.

Perhaps your weather will fool the Met experten ? Sometimes divining the weather beyond a day or two seems more an art than a science. I hope whatever the weather that your vacation is a pleasant one, my friend.

I just learned something new about the BoB that I had never been aware of. To hide their airfields from the enemy, the RAF covered their runways with black sand which looked like hedgerows from the air.

You must indeed be quite fit in order to accomplish 2250 m in that length of time without a hungry shark snapping its jaws behind you. Well done. Swimming exercises every muscle in your body, I understand. I used to love to swim as a kid and later especially when we had our own pool. Nowadays, I brag about just not drowning when I get in the bath. wink

I reached my goal and I am not lifting weights right now. Instead, I am thinking of joining a local health club where I can lift weights and swim year 'round. NO! Dux not both at the same time. They have senior rates that are quite reasonable.

That thoughtless and uncharitable remark brings to mind a short story about you, Dux. I'll bet you would remember the time we were all unloading anvils from a ship, just to add a few quid to our booze-up fund. Remember what happened? You fell off the ramp into the sea and sank like a stone. As I remember it today, you came up sputtering three times. The first two times you loudly pleaded for help. Our mates and I had put down our anvils to watch yet we had done nothing. This was because we thought it odd you were having trouble since you were known to be an excellent swimmer. We burst into action when you rose again. The last time your head appeared above water you shouted something that sounded to me like "If you @$%#%% chaps don't throw me a rope, I'm going to let go this @$##%$$# anvil !!!" biggrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4365977 - 06/25/17 03:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 10:30 this Sunday morning, the temp is 75°F. with a humidity of 90% that should soon be improving. Skies are partly sunny and visibility is reported to be 10m. There is a 3mph breeze coming from the NW. The barometric pressure is 30.03 in

Our visitors are headed to Orlando. The barbecue was delightful even though rain poured down before the steaks and beef ribs had stopped mooing. Steaks should be eaten rare IMHO. Again IMHO all you need on a really good, well-cooked steak is a little Kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper. But if you prefer a splash of ketchup or steak sauce, be my guest. IMHO the best Worcestershire sauce is Lea & Perrin but use whatever brand of sauce makes your mouth water. I'll eat any cut of beef, just try me but my favorite cut of steak is a NY Strip cut thick (up to 2" thick). I love caramelized Vidalia onions and baked or creamed potatoes as sides. Last night, along with that we had steaming-hot green beans, deviled eggs and cucumber slices in vinegar, seasoned with salt and pepper. I'm already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch. I think, counting the gaggle of kids, we were 14 for supper.

The fellow works in the VA. (Veteran's Admin.). We had some interesting talks about the changes in the VA past and present. His views were illuminating and informative. He lives in Boston with his family. If a people may be judged by how they treat the least among them then they should also be judged by how they treat their veterans who have sacrificed so much for them as well. Our friend is hopeful but guarded in his opinion for improvement in the future. So many are suffering long waits and long appeals. When bad things come to light the top man or woman is changed.And with every change in the top at the VA priorities seem to change as well.

I was told of a claim by a 101-year-old vet (WW1). His original claim had been denied, his appeal had gone on for 45 years. FORTY-FIVE YEARS!!! It was finally settled when a colleague discovered it and expedited it. According to him, the announcement letter was hand-delivered. Probably just in time, right?

#4366096 - 06/26/17 02:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

This brand new Monday, we have a temp of 69° F., a humidity of 73%and a reported visibility of 10 m. The time is 9:50 AM. We have no measurable wind. The pressure is 30.09 in. A weather report on the weekend promised lower humidity and temps the first of this week. It hasn't happened yet. I stepped outside this morning and it did not feel the least bit cooler or the air dryer. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking on the part of the person consulting his weather ouija board?

I hope that you all had a very pleasant weekend. We did. The delicious food we had still haunt my taste buds. I love rare beef. I couldn't help comparing it to the cereal I had for breakfast. Not that I would eat beef for breakfast on any normal day but I'd be tempted were it offered to me as with steak and eggs. Often I eat oatmeal sweetened with raw honey and blueberries or other fruit. There's usually a bit of butter in there too and some fresh milk. That doesn't compare favorably to steak and eggs either but it is probably healthier.

There were leftovers even with 14 eating. I plan to have a steak sandwich for lunch with caramelized onions and mayo. Zena, the Russian Blue cat that sleeps under my bed or wherever she wants, got some beef too but not a lot. She is a bossy little feline. If she had gotten her way she would have had it all. Like most females I have known, she craves attention and will get it one way or another. At least she has not been in heat for several days. What a relief that is for both of us.

I guess Jens defied the weather and went biking or accepted it and went swimming. Either way, he most likely got wet. I'd suppose Dux went fishing, swimming or serenading his new love with his bass. Either way, he might have also gotten all wet. After reading that he might tell me I'm "all wet". wink

I started watching "West Wing" again. For the fourth time. Like all videos and movies, no matter haw many times I watch they always end the same. When I find myself doing voice overs of the dialog it is a sign I have watched something enough. Despite knowing that, I am tempted to watch "Full Metal Jacket" one more time on Netflix. I like R Lee Ermy's informed portrayal of a seasoned and rather profane DI. He was a "gunny" in real life.

More and more I am now irritated by that terrible affliction of the elder folk "Constipation of the Brain". Try as hard as I may sometimes a name, word or phrase simply will not bubble-up from the Magic Eight Ball of my cluttered mind. Oh, it will eventually come to me but sometimes not when I need it. It can be very frustrating. Everyone suffers from a little of that I suppose but the older you get the more often. As I am not ready to stop getting older just yet I guess I will just have to learn to cope.

May you all have a safe and interesting Monday. Then write about it tomorrow. biggrin

#4366117 - 06/26/17 05:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I can log in now via Opera Desktop Browser. Hurray.

It seems the bad weather will not go away. One day tomorrow without rain but 18 C, the rest of the week is supposed to rain away down the drain and it looks like more visits to the indoor pool and the warm sauna may be in my immediate future. I'm certainly not watching another rerun of "A Bridge Too Far" (It was on this weekend for the umpteenth time). Another activity that may take of some of my hours in the near future could be figuring out what the heck is wrong with my NAS, and how to fix it. I just fired off a RFH (Request For Halp) to the vendor's forum:

Duo v1
RAIDar 6.2 and 6.3
RAIDiator 4.1.16

Windows 7 PC & Mac OSX "El Capitan", LG smart TV

RAIDar (versions 6.2 and 6.3) reports "RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network. Check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For more help, visit http://my.netgear.com." (Yes, I've checked that)

My NAS does not show up in MS File Explorer

Connecting to NAS via browser (Opera and Chrome) I am not landing on the Frontview page, instead being directed to the two shares I have created and I can access the folders witin those two shares. Other shares are not shown.

NAS is not discovered by LG Smart TV (2017 model)

All this used to work perfectly, and as late as a couple of days ago.

Accessing the NAS via my Android tablet and the Total Commander app, Works as normal. I can see all shares and access the content.

Also, my audio files residing on one of my shares are accessible and can be streamed to my Hi-Fi, controlled by an app on my Android tablet.

However I am not able to connect to it via an Android App called NAS Utils.

So, it seems that the part of my NAS that broadcasts it's prescence to compatible devices has gone unserviceable?

Isn't it just fun!?

Roger; Sounds like you had a very nice weekend my friend!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4366174 - 06/26/17 10:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Jens:

That would be NAS as in file level external storage and access, right? Net Attached Storage, I think it is called. I store my photos on the Google cloud and on Photobucket but other files are archived on CDs and DVDs. Hopefully you can repair it. Or it can be restored to function. If your end is not the fault, no doubt it will soon be repaired. If you cannot access the system at all it even from another device it could indicate a system fault on their end. Since I am unfamiliar with NAS I cannot do more than speculate. I wish you good luck with it.

I certainly hope you can get it all sorted before you go on vacation.

#4366283 - 06/27/17 02:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have no weather today. 'Someone' forgot to pay the weather bill or send in their order for the kind of weather they wanted. Either way, we have nothing we can report. I do not expect any complaints.

"A Bridge Too Far" is a good movie with an ensemble international cast. I've watched that a few times and read the book by Ryan. The phrase "The best-laid plans.... etc." comes readily to mind. Or perhaps another title, "Monty's Hubris". It did not end or appreciably shorten the war for anyone not killed or captured. Operation Market Garden was fought in the Netherlands and Germany. It consisted of two parts "Market" The airborne forces. And "Garden" the ground forces. Montgomerie's aim was to encircle the industrial "heart" of Germany, the Ruhr, in a classic pincer movement. Monty's forces comprising one Northern arm of the pincer avoiding the Seigfried Line and other Allied forces coming North form Belgium forming the other "arm" of the pincer. They would meet above the town of Arnhem. There were unexpected complications for the Brits along the way, the airborne forces could not take crucial bridges and the Allies failed to cross the Rhine River as well. "Operation Market Garden" was, therefore, unsuccessful. This is a great simplification of what was a complex battle of course.

It has been decades since I read the book and a long time since I saw the movie too. Fox, Cain, Connery, Bogarde, and Hopkins' work in the film is memorable among some others.

#4366377 - 06/27/17 08:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger; No weather you say? Here, have some of ours, we have far too much of it: Wind rain, hail and more wind. Out thermometers seem to be stuck however, never moving very far from 18 -22 C.

Yes, the NAS is indeed a Network Attached Storage, purchased late in 2011 or early ´12, to keep safe my files configured in what is called a RAID so if one disc should fail the other would hold the data while switching to a new and healthy disc. Not much use however if my failure is in a hardware component or a piece of software that is non-redundant. A bit like Monty's plan, if you ask me (I know you didn't but I'll say my piece anyway).

It struck me while I was attempting to amuse myself by saying all the parts out loud, and in the actor's voices as best I could manage, that going for the Ruhr was, in my armchair general's blissful ignorance, probably incredibly dimwitted. What I simpleton cannot comprehend is why anyone would think they could win a war by occupying and taking out this admittedly industrial heart of Germany, when several years of heavy bombing had turned anything larger than an ants nest to rubble. The manufacturing of weapons and munitions was already relocated elsewhere, and in my befuddled opinion wars are won by beating armies, not by seizing the production plants remaining in the Ruhr. As they said in the movie, Patton should have been in charge. He'd have forsaken the complex and overly ambitious plan by Monty to immortalize himself in the history books. well, Monty did get immortalized in the history books anyway, but that blunder was unnecessary. Anyway, hindsight is always in 20/20 vision, and many blunders in WW2 were later recognized and steps were taken to avoid making the same blunders again. If however the radio communications in reality did suffer the problems depicted in the movie, the SAS apparently made a similar mistake in the first Iraq war. Then again, the events described in the book Bravo Two Zero were, according to some, not quite what really did happen.

Last edited by McGonigle; 06/27/17 08:37 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4366574 - 06/28/17 03:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We passed a pleasant night with rather low humidity and temp. At10:20 this Wed. morning our temp is 75°F. with a comfortable 49% humidity and a 9 mph wind from the NE. Visibility is reported to be 10m. No sign of rain anytime soon.

MG:
Right, well they did at least turn Patton loose to charge into Germany at that time I believe. Which he promptly did, along with a few friends. Perhaps much of Market Garden was politically inspired anyway wanting the Brits to share more prominently in the victory over the NAZIS. They deserved it after what they had been through. Monty, like Patton, was a prima donna. He lobbied hard for a major piece of the action and actually went a bit too far in that respect with his boss Eisenhower who cautioned him "Monty, you really can't talk to me that way, I'm your boss." Market Garden became a great SNAFU that tarnished Monty's star for a time. It did not hurry the end of the war but the end was now inevitable.

There were still disappointments ahead. Especially for Hitler but also for the Americans and Brits. They were prohibited from entering Berlin first as they wished to do. This was a political bone thrown to the long-suffering Russian allies. The Russians suffered the highest casualty rate of all the Allies during WW2. And the attack upon Berlin promised huge casualties. It was therefore also because Eisenhower was reluctant to accept the casualties that would have been likely with an assault on Hitler's final fortress. The fighting was brutal, house by house street by street. Sill Eisenhower's generals chaffed at the bit wanting to be man who captured Hitler and ended the war. Stalin's forces did not capture Hitler but the Germans were beaten and forced to accept unconditional surrender. Goering was captured as well as Himmler but they both cheated the hangman by taking poison. All this you know perfectly well I am sure.

Goering thought he would be a hero to the German people. That they would beat a path to worship at his grave. Not so. He had no grave and his ashes were spread in an unknown location during the dark of the night by the Allies. It seems that the one remembered and celebrated by the misguided Neo-Nazis is Hitler and he has no discoverable grave either. Perhaps there is one in Argentina but I doubt that.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Why we don't use that sooner in the process is a mystery to me. We always wait until after the fact to use hind sight, don't we? wink

#4366610 - 06/28/17 07:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger, As the winds rise and we anticipate a weekend of foul weather, I am reminded of your quest to keep your inquisitive mind busy, thus exercising the brain muscle so it will hopefully stay fit. Guided by a helpful soul on the interwebs I am getting to know my NAS in very intimate detail which entails me learning new ways of hacking the root through an add-on to the NAS called SSH, a piece of software for Win called PuTTY and a few choice linux commands. Going through such measures I am sure my old grey braincells are stimulated by the task of learning new tricks. I've nearly bricked it and got it back with an OS reinstall. I will let you know how the story continues so I can blatantly increase my post count here.

Last edited by McGonigle; 06/28/17 07:33 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4366758 - 06/29/17 02:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Folks,

Well, it is another June 29th. For some, this is an important date. For some, it will be their very first day, for others, their last this the 180th day of the year (181st in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. Some very old folks (like Dux and I) may remember the hot time in 1613 in old London town when Shakespear' Globe Theater burned down. Others much younger may recall in 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed after 83-day filibuster in the US Senate. At 10:15 this morning the temp is 71°F. at our place.

MG:
I think I have at least heard of PuTTY and NAS.That's about it. congrats on solving a knotty problem. The true sign of intelligence is what you manage to do when you really haven't a clue what to do. Expand your mind all you wish but be aware your hat may no longer fit. wink

#4366802 - 06/29/17 07:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks,

You guys are so much smarter than I.
You seem able to rebuild the MS system, and I am stuck hobbling a half-downloaded W10; afraid to get rid of one administrator account because I'd have to download some of its programs to the new one.

Summer has been determined to be the season here now with the first 100F day last week.
The rainy month of May gave us little moisture, but June, usually considered a dry month here has brought us enough rain to erase the 3.+ deficit and put us half an inch ahead.
I am hoping the hotter temperatures bypass us for now and give me time to install the anti-mosquito patio cups.

#4366946 - 06/30/17 04:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

Well, we have just about the only June 30th we will be likely to enjoy for this annum. I don't know what is happening today that we will remember years from now (for those of us who actually have years from now) but in 1860 the famous debate on Charles Darwin's theory of evolution held at the Oxford University Museum and dominated by arguments between Thomas Henry Huxley and Bishop Samuel Wilberforce took place. No, I was not there at the time. Dux may have been. In 1934 the "Night of Long Knives" took place when Hitler stages a bloody purge of the Nazi party. And possibly most importantly of all, in 1938 Superman 1st appears in DC Comics' Action Comics Series issue #1. Shazam! Who among us remembers Captain Marvel?

At 11:30 Am we have 83°F. with an 8 mph wind from the SW and a reported visibility of 10m. We have thus begun the risk of taking a deep breath and drowninga as the humidity level is 67% and rising. Please pass the underarm spray... Fittop, you win the dubious honor of claiming the first century temp. We have not experienced higher than 95°F. so far this year. That is coming here, however, and all too soon. The cattails are high in the little spring that runs by the lovely Willows and behind our house. The mixed chorus of frogs and crickets rings out each nigh. Soon they will be joined by the deep rasp of molting Cicadas mating in the trees. Hot weather is upon us.

Every patriotic American loves a J. P. Sousa march, right? Well, we are gearing up for the Fourth and I just heard "The Stars and Stripes Forever" on the radio. That always stirs me. I guess one of the reasons why is because in Elementary School all us kids marched into the auditorium past the American and NC state flags with that tune loudly playing on the intercom system. I don't suppose they still do that kind of thing today. Too patriotic perhaps. Someone who hates what we stand for or whose parent's politics might cause their kids to be offended. They must be protected. I hope I am wrong about that one.

For those of you like my son who played the game "Starcraft" in the late 90s, "Starcraft Remastered" is about to be released. It is reported to be a blend of the old game and a modernized version. There is even a button for making the gameplay and the look like the old game. You can find info here:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ed-ahead-of-its-august-14-launch-for-15/

#4366981 - 06/30/17 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I just discovered yet another thing about WW2 that even with all my research and reading over the years I had not come across. Minutia to be sure, but did you know that after WWI because of the collapse of the German economy and lack of jobs Hermann Wilhelm Goering went to Denmark where he was employed for a time as a test pilot. In Germany, his exploits as the leader of the dead Richthofen's "Flying Circus" had been forgotten. The military was scorned for losing the war and there was a general belief that Germany had been "stabbed in the back". Not even his "Blue Max" had meant anything in post-WW1 Deutschland.

Yet Hitler needed a man with such military credentials. The rest is history.

#4366995 - 06/30/17 08:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

On July 30th 1940, Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands was occupied by the Nazis.

It has been raining here all day so I fled into the pool and the sauna and the watched the movie "Their Finest Hour", a very fine drama with fine actors and with a few tear drawing moments as well.

Roger; I didn't know about Goering being employed as a test pilot in Denmark. I did know, as no doubt you do too, that he also went to Sweden and was employed as an airline pilot while trying to make a living for himself. While there, he met his first wife Carin.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4367000 - 06/30/17 08:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Jens:

Yes, I knew about that from Irving's bio of Goering. He was delivering an important man to his castle which should have taken 25 minutes but due to terrible weather, it took over 3 hours. They finally landed on a frozen lake near their destination. There he met his first wife who fell in love with Hermann, divorced her husband, married Goering and went through some tough times with him. She even had to auction off her valuables to pay their rent. It was said that every time Hermann heard the gavel fall it cut him like a knife. He promised her he would make it all up to her one day. By the time he was wealthy enough to do so his wife had died from TB. Nevertheless, when he built his magnificent home he named it Carinhall. Interestingly, no papers relating to the NAZI "Final Solution" have ever been found with Hitler's signature. Only one document authorizing this has been found and that bears the signature of Hermann Goering. All his recovered and undeniable intelligence and eloquence brought back by a much sparser diet and the denial of drugs plus a desire to cheat the hangman at Neurenburg could not save him from that damning document. As you know he did, however, cheat the hangman,

It is speculated but never proven that an American soldier was induced to bring him a cyanide capsule from Goering's private storage. The court ordered that his body be cremated and his ashes secretly strewn in a nearby river.

#4367061 - 07/01/17 03:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It rained here yesterday and more rain is on the way. Is anyone rain dancing again? The temp. is 77°F. under cloudy skies at 10:40 this Saturday morning.

Today happens to be Canada Day. We wish our northern neighbors well as I am sure most of them will wish us the same on the Fourth of July. I have never met nicer folk anywhere than I did on my visit to Toronto in 2015, not even down here in the hospitable South. They went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I, the American, was something of a curiosity I think. There were so many sights to see and enjoy. The CN Tower, the Air Museum, and Niagra. I must admit that the American side of the falls is beautiful but the Canadian side is truly magnificent. I saw so many planes at the air museum that I was dizzy with happiness. I stood in awe under the gaping bomb bay of a Lank that still flies. I saw my first real Spitfire and an F-86 with Canadian markings. I will ever be thankful to our old HWH mate C51 and his wife for their hospitality. I may be humming "Oh, Canada" all day today.

This notebook has stopped notifying me when the battery is low. It just shuts down. Most inconvenient I must say if I am working on a long post and forgotten to connect the AC as I sometimes do when distracted, usually by the cat. I can run a diagnostic through the BIOS and perhaps find the battery needs replacing or I can just pay more attention and always insert the power plug. I have checked the computer power settings and they are correct.

#4367081 - 07/01/17 07:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I found a freeware app called BatteryAlarm. It monitors the notebook battery and sounds a warning when the battery has just 15% power left or when it is 100% charged. Just like the original notification that no longer works. I checked the software out thoroughly before running it to auto run from the start menu.

It is a real shame that we must run everything through a virus checker, then through a malware remover these days or suffer greatly if not. On top of that, you have to vet the virus checker and malware remover like they were being recommended for the Supreme Court to make sure those are reputable. There are some that will do nasty things under the name of security, like drop trojans and virus on you either to harm you or get you to buy their software when it "finds" and removes them. I found a respected online file checker after half an hour checking several out. These sphincters of the rear end of society who attack innocent folk just for fun would make up a very good crew for the first one-way trip to Andromeda when the time comes. They are after all technically savvy and many are loners. I don't know when that trip may start but we should start assembling the crew yesterday and keep them in isolation until the day of departure arrives.

Oh, and if they do not eventually make it to their planned destination this may be because someone unknown put a nasty virus in their onboard computer. wink

#4367145 - 07/02/17 04:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 11 AM, this warm Sunday morning, we have 85°F. with 69% humidity. Little rain fell yesterday and none is expected today. A 9 mph wind is coming from the SW. Visibility is reported to be 10m. We expect the high for today to be a toasty 92°F.

Apparently, this site was down this morning. Perhaps instead someone wiser than the rest of us finally found a way to stop me typing. If so, congratulations, and thanks to you, whomever you may be, we all got a nice rest this morning. smile

It has been 241 years or 88,023 days since that first Independence Day in 1776. I’ve been to Independence Hall and seen the cracked Liberty Bell. I’ve seen those famous chairs with the sun motif that Franklin is supposed to have said that time would tell if that sun were rising or setting. I understand that after the last election some people say they are still not sure. wink

Even for a 16-year-old kid being at Independence Hall on a Fourth of July was incredibly exciting. Happy Fourth of July on Tuesday.

Page 517 of 608 1 2 515 516 517 518 519 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.