Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4364896 - 06/19/17 09:12 PM Six Machine Guns!!!  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I received a unique and unexpected Father's Day gift from my very liberal anti-gun wife: An hour at the range to shoot six different machine guns. It was a Heritage Guild Father's Day special. I told you guys my wife would come around eventually. I had to take it slow (2.5 years) before I could become a gun owner. She's more liberal than I, and I'm fairly liberal. Anyway, having shot a rifle only once in my life at this very same range (an AR-15) I showed up at my appointed time to shoot the following (all ammunition and gear and instruction pre-paid):

G36
MP5
Uzi
M4
M249 SAW
Barrett 240

What a thrill! The MP5 kept jamming. I didn't care because it was such a thrill to shoot the actual real weapon I often arm my characters with in Rainbow Six. The Uzi was crazy. I used two hands. It was spray and pray. The M4 was more of a carbine but nice and light weight. My favorite by far was the SAW. I used a tripod for it and the Barrett. The SAW was like heaven on earth. Hardly any friggin' recoil! I guess because of the weight? I was putting bullets into the same hole from 75 feet. Rapidly. No recoil! Wow! Big time fun, but that SAW is dangerous because you can actually hit what you aim at with full finger trigger depression not just short bursts. What a Father's Day present!

For my first guns, and after copious research on YouTube, I became a Beretta man! PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm for home defense and CX4 9mm Carbine. I haven't yet taken the CX4 out of the case. I bought it based on what I researched on YouTube. Don't laugh but until I saw it on the Beretta website and checked out a ton of YouTube videos just a few weeks ago, I didn't even know what a carbine was or how it was different than a rifle. I can use the same bullets in both weapons!!! But I spent a couple of days at the range with the PX4 Storm Compact. Love it. I don't know when I'll have time to actually try the CX4 carbine. Perhaps I should've tried it before I bought it, but I bought a 75K Jaguar without ever driving one or even seeing one (a new model) so what's the risk with a few hundred dollars? The CX4 looks so cool.

I still want to get an AR-15 because it is the most popular firearm (for civilians) in America. But I have a question for you guys who grew up with guns. I'm looking at a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II. Here is what I don't get. I saw this same rifle in a store flyer. It was either Cabelas or that Bass something store. I've never been in either store -there are none close to me- but I saw the flyer online. There is also an M&P Sport II with something in it called MOE and Magpul. I have no clue about MOE and Magpul. The prices are different, about a $100, but they look basically the same. What the heck is the difference? Which one should I get? I'm thinking of becoming a Beretta and S&W man. If I get one of the Sport II AR-15s and the M&P Shield as my CCW, my allegiance to Beretta and S&W will be established.

Last edited by Plainsman; 06/19/17 09:12 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364899 - 06/19/17 09:40 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I can't answer any of your questions, but your experience sounds like a lot of fun! And it sounds like your wife is a keeper smile

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4364908 - 06/19/17 10:07 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
MOE is Magpul Original Equipment. Pretty humorous that a major player in non-original equipment would come up with a tag of MOE.

AR15.com is a good site and will answer virtually every question you could have.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/548084_To_MOE_or_not_to_MOE_.html

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4364919 - 06/19/17 11:53 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: oldgrognard]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
MOE is Magpul Original Equipment. Pretty humorous that a major player in non-original equipment would come up with a tag of MOE.

AR15.com is a good site and will answer virtually every question you could have.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/548084_To_MOE_or_not_to_MOE_.html

Thanks for the website link. I went there and read the posts. It seems MOE + Magpul is the way to go, rather than a near identical AR-15 from the same manufacturer but without the MOE Magpul stuff. I still don't know what it does exactly but it sounds like something desirable.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4364921 - 06/20/17 12:11 AM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Magpul is popular because their parts tend to be some of the best while being very affordable given a lot of the competition. Also, most of what they make looks nice. For that reason it is a very popular choice, and most brands offer MOE versions of their ARs (Colt, S&W, ect.).

#4366431 - 06/27/17 11:45 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Flogger23m]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Magpul is popular because their parts tend to be some of the best while being very affordable given a lot of the competition. Also, most of what they make looks nice. For that reason it is a very popular choice, and most brands offer MOE versions of their ARs (Colt, S&W, ect.).

Thanks!

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4366580 - 06/28/17 04:04 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Plainsman, congrats on your Father's day present !!! .. and on your wife's progress. smile

As for the purchase decisions, I'd recommend that you, (to the extent that it is feasible) put your hands on stuff before committing to it. Magpul makes a lot of good stuff, but some of it is designed for particular purposes that may not be applicable to you in some cases. They make the AR-15 pistol grips in different angles, for instance. Your rifle configuration and shooting style could make some grip angles more comfortable for you than others.

Get that carbine to the range! You need to verify it works with the ammunition you want to use, and what point of aim it shoots to. You may need it someday, and that is stuff you want settled beforehand.

#4366583 - 06/28/17 04:19 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Pew pew pew!

Lots of fun, but it probably also showed how ridiculous the movies are when it comes to automatic fire!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4366619 - 06/28/17 08:33 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Magpul tends to produce a lot of good products, but stuff like grips in particular are designed to be held in the magpul style, which is a little different from the regular way you might have learned

pick yourself up a 22 LR rifle as well for plinking practice on a budget.

#4366656 - 06/29/17 12:32 AM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Before Magpul, AR-15's all had the same look, the only differences were barrel length and if it had a full stock or a collapsing stock. The ergonomics were good, better than pretty much any other rifle, arguably.

But then Magpul started making new shapes for buttstocks, pistolgrips, handguards, and some other addons. And that has made the ergonomics of an AR pattern rifle even better than "good". It allows for custom setup that the user prefers. It's quality stuff that's very tough.

Is Magpul products necessary? No. NO not at all. But they are nice, and they make a nice rifle nicer, better. My AR-15 features Magpul: collapsing buttstock (SL), magpul pistol grip (thin small nearly vertical), a Magpul vertical grip, and a Magpul handstop on the side of the vertical grip, for the web of my thumb. The handguard I have isn't made by Magpul, but it IS made to Magpul's M-LOK specifications, which means it's lighter than the normal quad rail.

The single best product they make though, is their PMAG magazines for AR-15's. They are a very tough polymer mag that's VERY reliable, and yet still cheap. These have become an industry standard after just 5 years, against which all others are measured. Proven to the max in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Back in 2002 I had an idea for a company like that... really wish I'd followed through on that. The founding members are rich enough to have retired already.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#4367074 - 07/01/17 06:08 PM Re: Six Machine Guns!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
smile

M4 is a carbine

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.