Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4364744 - 06/19/17 11:56 AM Mass Effect Andromeda  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I bought this recently during an Origin sale and so far I've put 24 hours into the game and I'm really enjoying it. If you liked ME 3, you will like this. The combat is essentially the same but there are some new pretty neat features that have to do with resource collection and researching items like armor, weapons, mods, etc.

The main premise behind ME: Andromeda is completely different from that of the previous games and you have entirely new characters as well so that takes a bit to get used to. For $30 it was definitely worth getting.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/19/17 11:57 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364812 - 06/19/17 03:37 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Yep, what I said wink

I think I paid about 39EUR or so back then. I did get distracted by real life at about 35h in ("hunting the acheron" part) and need to continue it. I get the criticism that is thrown towards it but to me it's still a decent 7.5 score game at least.

#4364852 - 06/19/17 05:43 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Waiting on word of any expansions to this smile

#4364854 - 06/19/17 05:46 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the actors who did voices in the game:

Natalie Dormer
Indira Varma
Clancy Brown

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4364863 - 06/19/17 06:38 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Played it a while back. It is easily the worst game in the series. Comparing it to other games in the genre I'd still easily give it an 8 or 8.5. Compared to previous ME games, I'd give it a 7. The important parts of the story are largely brushed aside, the enemies aren't detailed much and seem fairly generic / dull, and the open world aspect hurts the game. Large portions of the maps are empty aside from respawning enemy checkpoints. The open world aspect just hurt the game. They needed to cut out most of the fetch quests, cut down on map size, and create a better story.

If you liked the previous games or are just looking for a good game to play, I do recommend it. But it could have been so much better.

#4364864 - 06/19/17 06:41 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I do agree with Flogger that it is the weakest of all of the ME titles. For $30 though it was well worth the price in my opinion. The new characters in this title aren't as interesting as the ones we came to know and love in the previous 3 titles.

#4364866 - 06/19/17 06:49 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I wouldn't hold my breath on DLC or a sequel. At least not for a while.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-ice-following-andromeda-disappointment

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4364868 - 06/19/17 06:55 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I would love to know how much lower the sales were for Andromeda compared to the previous 3 ME games. There's no doubt that its commercial performance was not what EA was hoping for.

#4364875 - 06/19/17 07:33 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I would love to know how much lower the sales were for Andromeda compared to the previous 3 ME games. There's no doubt that its commercial performance was not what EA was hoping for.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250066/mass-effect-a-sales-history/

I had no idea PC sales were that "small"

[Linked Image]

#4364967 - 06/20/17 06:58 AM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the actors who did voices in the game:

Natalie Dormer
Indira Varma
Clancy Brown

Indira Varma looks like my wife's twin. (wife is from Indonesia)

I Want To Believe
#4364993 - 06/20/17 11:25 AM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
This is the first Mass Effect game that feels tedious to me. The straw that broke the camel's back was one of the crew assigning me a go-for quest to another world for a recipe ingredient....to be used in a dish for movie night.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#4365037 - 06/20/17 03:02 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: Kodiak]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Kodiak

Natalie Dormer
Indira Varma
Clancy Brown

Indira Varma looks like my wife's twin. (wife is from Indonesia)

I hate you now.

Or in laymen's terms. You lucky b***ard. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4369077 - 07/13/17 09:18 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

10 Hour trial now available for all platforms -

https://www.masseffect.com/trial

#4369090 - 07/13/17 11:16 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Thanks for the heads up. I'd be interested to see if it runs okay on my pc. I wonder if this is because of poor sales? Seems like more companies are trying this type of "play for X amount of time or levels free and all save progress can be saved and carried over if you purchase the game." I appreciate that for example with Dishonored 2. Its way above and beyond a traditional demo which is cool and it gives you a chance to try the game and see how it performs on your PC. It saddens me though that D2 runs so poorly. I spent two hours trying to tweak the game to run decent, finally got into it, then once I hit Karnaka the whole thing just tanked with the fps becoming unplayable. I don't get it. I've got a good PC and things just shouldn't perform that bad. I wish they would have used a different engine. I'd been happy if they would have just used the Unreal engine again. Hitman also has issues though the Glacier engine by and large is pretty nice.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4369115 - 07/14/17 03:41 AM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I played the second one and I hate to sound stupid, but I didn't always understand what it was that I was supposed to do next. Guess I just haven't played these types of games enough.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4369119 - 07/14/17 04:05 AM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
The trial is the same as the "earlty access" version you got if you were part of Origiin Access, so it functions as a demo as well - it only allows you to get so far before it ends.

#4369153 - 07/14/17 10:56 AM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: Coot]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot
Thanks for the heads up. I'd be interested to see if it runs okay on my pc. I wonder if this is because of poor sales? .

The numbers don't lie. ME: Andromeda sold significantly less than ME 2 or 3. It certainly did not meet the expectations of EA and Bioware.

#4369508 - 07/16/17 08:28 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: Pooch]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Originally Posted by Pooch
I played the second one and I hate to sound stupid, but I didn't always understand what it was that I was supposed to do next. Guess I just haven't played these types of games enough.

I'm playing it off an on Pooch and its not just you. I've always felt that way a little with playing these games. Years ago when I tried these games I just did not like the environments. Settings yes but the game engine or the developers mediocre use of the game engine seemed lacking as everything in the world felt plastic and fake to me. Like a stage prop that has the illusion of being a rock yet when you get up close and fiddle with it you find its actually plaster of paris. I also personally felt lost when it came to combat and exploration. The way of exploring the galaxy was confusing to me and with so many side things to do and lore and terms I had no clue about made it all the more overwhelming and also non-intuitive. Add to that the leveling system I did not quite understand combined with confusing game elements like Paradox points and the other thing whatever they were called was just too weird and confusing.

I finally gave the push over a year ago and ended up really enjoying Mass Effect 1. I still don't fully understand everything that happened but it was fun and more engaging this time lol. Mass Effect 2 I'm having a hard time with. I really don't understand what's going on and I don't care for how the first initial missions are designed. I see it as pretty much you are given quite a large amount of overtly grindy, fetch quests as the beginnings of your game. This is tedious and annoying and not how I want my game start to be. I can understand them happening eventually as all RPGs tend to have them but to me, the introduction to a game and its presentation is important and needs to be unique and special. Something to get you excited about entering this world and continuing. I'm trying to push through hoping it gets better but these initial objectives I'm finding obnoxious and not fun. Add to that the fact that I forgot to save my game save from my completion of Mass Effect 1 to have it carry over into ME2. So I tried to do my best to recreate the look of my first Shepard in ME2 and make the same kinds of decisions but certain key elements obviously don't carry over like the fact that in my play of ME, Ashley dies. Without my save, she is alive and well so I have to do some major imagination work in my own brain to keep things in line with my first experience. Those unfortunate immersion breakers plus the fact that my Shepard looks really slightly off and funny and Gumbyish compared to my first Shepard its just been an all around bizarre experience LOL. I'm hoping it picks up but right now whenever I return to the game to try to progress I just feel bleh about continuing because I'm stuck in another "gather your team members" fetch quest that literally take you at almost opposite ends of the Galaxy. So far its not as fun or engaging as the story in ME1. sigh Please someone tell me it gets better because this game seems like it may give you a little more freedom but right now its just meh.

Last edited by Coot; 07/16/17 08:32 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4369511 - 07/16/17 08:39 PM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Coot, you liked TW3. I think you might consider ditching the ME original trilogy and just get going with MEA. It is closer to W3 in many ways, and doesn't really relate to the other three anyway.

#4369553 - 07/17/17 02:47 AM Re: Mass Effect Andromeda [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
IMHO, Mass Effect 2 was the zenith of the ME franchise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.