Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4364706 - 06/19/17 03:24 AM SIm Related Question.  
O_Smiladon Offline
O_Smiladon  Offline

New Zealand
Hi Guys,

I was thinking the other day (Big for me) while i was watching my boy play a race game on his xbox one.

Here is the question.

Say out of 100 gamers how many of them would be simers. Be it flight/land/Sea ?

And would you give the war thunder/WOT crowd a 1/2 % point as some could be moved over to a more full realism sim. Like DCS now that more content is coming online.

Just Thinking

O_Smiladon

Go Team Zealand,For the race to take home the 35th America's Cup.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364736 - 06/19/17 11:12 AM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: O_Smiladon]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I would take an educated guess and say that probably about 2-3 out of every 100 PC gamers play hardcore simulations like Dangerous Waters, DCS, Grand Prix Legends, etc.

If you expand that to include casual sims like Strike Fighters, the Dirt racing series and Cold Waters then I'd estimate about 5-6 out of every 100 PC gamers.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4364966 - 06/20/17 06:58 AM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: O_Smiladon]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Depends on the definition.

Hard Core simulations? Maybe one in a hundred. If you add games like Forza and the other 'lite' driving games I bet the number is around 10/100.

WOT or WOW to me is not a simulation but could be a gateway to other games, something akin to people who initially play Battlefield and then look at games like ARMA.

We are a niche market. That isn't necessarily bad but it does mean that we won't get a lot of big titles since the cost to produce these games is a lot higher than for much more simple shooters.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#4364974 - 06/20/17 08:23 AM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: O_Smiladon]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I don't know the exact percentage of WT players playing 'Simulator mode' but it is a tiny proportion of the millions of subscribers to the game, and most of those sim mode players are on ground forces I believe.

#4368000 - 07/08/17 12:31 AM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: O_Smiladon]  
O_Smiladon Offline
O_Smiladon  Offline

New Zealand
Thanks guys,

Very interesting.

O_Smiladon

#4368004 - 07/08/17 01:01 AM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: O_Smiladon]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
What I've found more interesting is how we classify simulations:

1. There's the "hardcore" sims or "study" sims like DCS and BMS and Steel Beasts
2. There's the "normal" sims like maybe FC3, Strike Fighters, easier modes for DCS and BMS, and the like
3. There's the "sim lite" sims like maybe ARMA III and War Thunder
4. There's the "pretenders" like Ace Combat and World of Tanks

What do you guys think? How would you qualify games like Steel Division, Wargame, SABOW, Combat Mission, and the like where weapons and armor are "simulated" in detail but the player is more like an RTS commander than a soldier-on-the-ground or pilot-in-the-cockpit?

If we take 1-3 above, then there may be quite a big number. A lot of people "graduate" from Call of Duty or Modern Warfare and play ARMA. DCS/FC has a lot of players.

- Ice
#4368087 - 07/08/17 07:06 PM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: O_Smiladon]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Big difference between "instant fun 'cause I'm bored, let's play a game" and "I am intensely interested in this facet of endeavor so I want to learn the minutiae of it".

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4368192 - 07/09/17 05:48 PM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by - Ice
What I've found more interesting is how we classify simulations:

1. There's the "hardcore" sims or "study" sims like DCS and BMS and Steel Beasts
2. There's the "normal" sims like maybe FC3, Strike Fighters, easier modes for DCS and BMS, and the like
3. There's the "sim lite" sims like maybe ARMA III and War Thunder
4. There's the "pretenders" like Ace Combat and World of Tanks

What do you guys think? How would you qualify games like Steel Division, Wargame, SABOW, Combat Mission, and the like where weapons and armor are "simulated" in detail but the player is more like an RTS commander than a soldier-on-the-ground or pilot-in-the-cockpit?

If we take 1-3 above, then there may be quite a big number. A lot of people "graduate" from Call of Duty or Modern Warfare and play ARMA. DCS/FC has a lot of players.

Ace Combat isn't a flight sim. But to the general public, for some reason, anything with flight as a main activity = flight simulator. I think this dates back to the early 90s when the difference between a "simulator" and what is now a modern flight shooter is not that different. You can argue Ace Combat is more realistic than the original flight sims, as it is a 3D game, the graphics are much more realistic, cockpits, sounds and whatnot. But back then a simulator trying to be realistic was not too different from Air/Ace Combat, aside from weapon count. I suppose it stuck since. Air/Ace Combat was a "simulator" back then, and seeing as the series survived all odds into 2017 I suppose they still call it a "simulator" because that is what they called it in the early 90s.

What annoys me even more is "space sim". Most space sims are not only arcadey style shooters, but they're mainly RPGs in space. A "hardcore space sim" may be as complex as Ace Combat, but you run around in an unimaginative wild west Star Wars knock off. At least Ace Combat emphasizes flight, whereas space sims hardly emphasize space flight. Maybe Star Citizen will change that.

#4368203 - 07/09/17 06:52 PM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Ace Combat isn't a flight sim.

This guy thinks otherwise biggrin

link

Hehehe.... but I agree with your point. The bar of "realism" has gotten higher and higher because of the increased capabilities of modern PCs. However, even if we say that modern "pretenders" or "sim lite" are more detailed than the very first flight simulators, that doesn't "bump up" the modern games nor does it "bump down" the earlier flight simulators. The term "flight simulator" should be judged in relation to a specific moment in time.... so the list I mentioned above is more applicable to "modern" sims.... maybe the past 10 years or so.

What annoys me even more is "space sim". Most space sims are not only arcadey style shooters, but they're mainly RPGs in space. A "hardcore space sim" may be as complex as Ace Combat, but you run around in an unimaginative wild west Star Wars knock off. At least Ace Combat emphasizes flight, whereas space sims hardly emphasize space flight. Maybe Star Citizen will change that.

And again, we can have classifications for space sims. Elite Dangerous, for instance, has made concessions with regards to physics otherwise people may just be zipping past each other at ridiculous speeds... But then what about Kerbal Space Program? smile

- Ice
#4368207 - 07/09/17 07:15 PM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: - Ice]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by - Ice
But then what about Kerbal Space Program? smile

KSP is it's own thing, and absolutely the best money I have ever spent on a computer 'game'.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 07/09/17 07:15 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4368283 - 07/10/17 11:05 AM Re: SIm Related Question. [Re: Flogger23m]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

The last somewhat "realistic" space combat game I played was "Freespace 2" and "Klingon Academy". The manual for the latter was actually quite large and in-depth. It was like the space combat sim equivalent of Falcon 4.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.