Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4364319 - 06/16/17 03:14 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: cichlidfan]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
Originally Posted by Genbrien
[Didnt know Matt was in a wheelchair

As it happens, childish comments about Matt's disability (made on another site) is what got PocketSized banned from ED's forum.

<edited>

Not cool leaf...don't go there.

Last edited by Force10; 06/16/17 06:04 PM. Reason: Bad taste

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364326 - 06/16/17 03:59 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: - Ice]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by - Ice
Since the booth belongs to TM, that makes sense.

What, showing us the TM WH that's already 6+ years old? And a Hornet stick grip that's in a glass case? The TM Cougar MFDs that are too far away to actually be used? ED's been given an opportunity to show its latest-and-greatest and that's all they can give us?

Might want to try again with a better comeback, cichlidfan.

It was't a comeback. It was a statement of FACT.

Btw, the TM booth was a bit more than just the ED display.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by cichlidfan; 06/16/17 04:32 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4364344 - 06/16/17 05:01 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: cichlidfan]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
It was't a comeback. It was a statement of FACT.

Ah, sorry. I forgot you cherry-pick parts of people's posts and if you just consider what you've cut out, then yeah, that is FACT. Now try tackling it again in context of everything else I said surrounding that cut-out part...

Which is irrelevant considering the thread topic....
BTW, E3 is more than just TM and ED duh

- Ice
#4364353 - 06/16/17 05:22 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: - Ice]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA

Which is irrelevant considering the thread topic....
BTW, E3 is more than just TM and ED duh

You are the one who was complaining about TM's display, which was irrelevant considering the thread topic.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4364381 - 06/16/17 06:47 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: - Ice]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Originally Posted by Frederf
It would be nice if TM joysticks would work on consoles despite their primary purpose for PCs. That usually depends on the console companies including drivers for it to all systems as a global patch and in the case of Microsoft I don't know if they support DirectX (not XInput) at all.

And what game on the console would a TM HOTAS work with? Ace Combat? At the very least, Elite Dangerous, but is there anything else?

Wrong thinking.

#4364394 - 06/16/17 09:04 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: Frederf]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

You are the one who was complaining about TM's display, which was irrelevant considering the thread topic.

Was I really complaining about TM's display? Re-read the post again.

Wrong thinking.

How so? I know TM steering wheels exist and can be used with consoles, but what offerings are there on the console for a HOTAS?

- Ice
#4364422 - 06/17/17 12:41 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Hello Kitty Adventures. Forza. I don't know. Why would your position be to deny until proven useful instead of have it work for everything and let the user decide if it's useful or not. People play Dark Souls with a Guitar Hero guitar.

#4364456 - 06/17/17 11:30 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: Frederf]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hello Kitty Adventures. Forza. I don't know. Why would your position be to deny until proven useful instead of have it work for everything and let the user decide if it's useful or not. People play Dark Souls with a Guitar Hero guitar.

Hahahaha! Yeah, I suppos you could use the split throttles as throttle-and-brakes and use the stick as POV control and use the hat switch for steering....

- Ice
#4364521 - 06/17/17 08:16 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4364530 - 06/17/17 09:09 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

several month before EA cheers

#4364536 - 06/17/17 09:57 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: Genbrien]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz

They won't release until it has (among other things) "compelling game play"

Vaporware confirmed.

I keed, I keed. hahaha

But seriously, it at least looks amazing so far.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4364550 - 06/17/17 11:43 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hmmm... I think 2018 will see the Hornet where they thought they'd be in 2016.

- Ice
#4364569 - 06/18/17 03:04 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Wonder how the dev of ground radar is going - wasn't shown in the vid.

mdwa
#4364573 - 06/18/17 06:01 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Sounds like a release (in early access) for late this year might be possible. I'd imagine it will be in early access for at least a few months after in a best case scenario. I think the complexity of the plane means it will be a while until it is mostly bug free, but it is also ED and their modules tend to be higher quality and pushed to full release quicker. And it is more or less their flagship product for the next few years, like the A-10C was.

#4364592 - 06/18/17 12:24 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: HomeFries]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by HomeFries
Originally Posted by Winfield
I feel like this is more like a showcase for TM than it is for DCS.

Confirmation that ED is going broke. Not even the copious amount of campaigns over the last 2 years can attribute to ED being able to pay for their own booth

Or it could be that ED recognizes that much of E3 is not their target audience and purchasing a booth would be like purchasing ad time for the Super Bowl. However, being able to piggy-back on the TM booth is a symbiotic arrangement.

Or is it?? l may be wrong but TM's new hornet stick is in a glass shrine whilst the ED stick is a Warthog stick.....would it not be more viable to showcase the hornet stick and hornet for what it is. Photos look quite dodgy and not 4K resolution of the flight stick being available for public testing

#4364615 - 06/18/17 02:01 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: Winfield]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted by HomeFries
I feel like this is more like a showcase for TM than it is for DCS.

Confirmation that ED is going broke. Not even the copious amount of campaigns over the last 2 years can attribute to ED being able to pay for their own booth

Or it could be that ED recognizes that much of E3 is not their target audience and purchasing a booth would be like purchasing ad time for the Super Bowl. However, being able to piggy-back on the TM booth is a symbiotic arrangement.

Or is it?? l may be wrong but TM's new hornet stick is in a glass shrine whilst the ED stick is a Warthog stick.....would it not be more viable to showcase the hornet stick and hornet for what it is. Photos look quite dodgy and not 4K resolution of the flight stick being available for public testing

I'm not sure I follow.
  • While a hornet stick with a hornet sim makes perfect sense for a demo, we don't know how far along TM is in interfacing the hornet stick with the WH base. Perhaps all they have right now is a physical prototype in a glass case.
  • TM has product lines for PC and console that crosses genre. ED develops niche high-end flight sims that lost mass popularity with the rise of the first person shooter in the late 1990s.
  • I'm sure you saw the interview where the person asked Wags what consoles DCS worked with. That is the nature of mass market video games now. Even most brick and mortar game stores have removed their PC shelves, or at best have limited them to a single section with EA, Activision, and Tycoon Simulator titles.

Why would it be a good strategy for ED to have their own booth at E3 with such unfavorable market dynamics? If ED had their own booth, people would be (rightly) criticizing them for whacked priorities.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4364672 - 06/18/17 08:31 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: mdwa]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mdwa
Wonder how the dev of ground radar is going - wasn't shown in the vid.

Wasn't shown, because there's nothing, to err... display yet. Straight from horse's mouth (Olgerd, one of the devs): "Yes, the AG radar picture itself works. It is not integrated into F/A-18 displays yet.". That's all we've been told though.

#4372651 - 08/04/17 12:06 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Originally Posted by *Striker*
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
It isn't a mod for F4. It is a complete re-working of the F4 code. It IS the latest and greatest simulation "thingy."

Well, then I stand corrected if that's the case. I know that the BMS people had been trying to get their hands on the F4 code for a long time. Up to some point it's just been a mod. If that's the case and they were actually able to do that and rewrite it then more power to them. Just so I'm clear on this though, the version I have that I downloaded and ran recently is 4.33. And it did require the original disc so that's why I assumed it was no different from previous versions.

After I installed it and flew around Korea, it looked exactly the same as it did in the original Microprose version with the exception of trees here and there. So I don't know where you're getting the different graphics you're referring to. Also, I did try the carrier ops. I was able to land but when I taxied I blew up and went through the deck. The avionics looked exactly the same as the F-16 so if you're seeing something different I'd like to know why. But the bottom line is it looked the same to me and still had the same bugs. So I tossed it back in the trash can. And I did have the add on Korea and Israel theaters.

Maybe someone could post some screen shots. I'd be interested in seeing them.

I can't attest to the authenticity of the BMS F-18. I love the Viper, and have spent an overwhelming majority of my seat time in it.

Does this look like vanilla Falcon 4.0? (I deleted the video links. No need to have them in there again)

Because it sure as hell doesn't to me. I have flown almost every single iteration of the sim, starting with the original SuperPak and Freefalcon and yes, the original BMS from way back when. There's no comparison with the original, vanilla version and what we have now.

I agree with you Blastman, that actually does look OK in the first video. I may install it and try it again to see what differences there are. It was 4.33 because I still have it on my backup drive. But it looks like there was another update. I will install it later on this weekend. If I do I will correct some of my earlier posts.

By the way, I did correct my previous post regarding the graphics in BMS. I don't know why my experience was so different. But I did change it to show that it wasn't posted as a factual statement regarding BMS for everyone.

#4372683 - 08/04/17 04:08 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I agree with you Blastman, that actually does look really nice in the first video. I may install it and try it again just to see what it looks like again. It was 4.33 because I still have it on my backup drive. Were there any terrain mods that you had to install to get it to look that good? Also, the controls always seem to be messed up for me. It never keeps the settings. I have a Thrustmaster Warthog setup. Is there something special needed to keep the settings? I always had trouble with that.

By the way, I did correct my previous post regarding the graphics in BMS. I don't know why my experience was so different. But I did change it to show that it wasn't posted as a factual statement regarding BMS for everyone.

Hey *Striker*, here's an idea --- maybe sign up on the BMS forums so that you can get an authentic copy of the BMS installers and also get up to 4.33.3. I don't know where you got your copy of BMS but if the MP is buggy and you don't recognize the default BMS 4.32/4.33 terrain (Polak tiles), then you may not be playing BMS... you may be playing a pre-4.32 version in which case everything you've said thus far needs to be retracted.

Also, when you sign up on the BMS forums, you can report that disappearing airbase bug and you can find out how accurate your "saying that you can fly other air frames inside BMS is a really nonsense talking point" statement. Best to hear those from the horse's mouth.

Seeing as you're in the mood to retract non-factual falsehoods, here's a few more:
  • And you can not fly the F/A-18 anything in BMS. You are simply using the same Block whatever F-16 with a different skin and slightly modified flight models. So saying that you can fly other air frames inside BMS is a really nonsense talking point.
  • But the graphics are or at least were very outdated in some versions, the terrain was very 2D and the ground units looked like paper dolls.
  • BMS is still very glitchy in MP, or at least it was the last time I played it, because it still uses from what I understand the same but updated network coding.
  • It's still the same flat boring graphics that it was years ago.
  • It still has a lot of the same bugs that it always did.
  • The F/A-18 is the F-16-52 cockpit avionics and it looks like crap compared to every module in DCS including the Hawk.
  • Just so I'm clear on this though, the version I have that I downloaded and ran recently is 4.33.
  • After I installed it and flew around Korea, it looked exactly the same as it did in the original Microprose version with the exception of trees here and there. So I don't know where you're getting the different graphics you're referring to.
  • Also, I'd like to point out that I had problems with the airports vanishing. This is an old F4 bug. So obviously the BMS guys still have a ways to go before they clean up the old messes. I'll stay away from it.

I've also re-uploaded my F4.0 and BMS4.33.3 comparison screenshots for you to refresh your memory.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hope you can see the difference between vanilla Falcon 4.0 and vanilla BMS 4.33.3 this time around. If your copy of BMS doesn't look like the 2nd picture, you know you're doing something wrong. If you get a good copy of BMS 4.33.3 running, install Israel or Ostsee or Balkans and prepare to have your socks blown off. Not DCS-level, sure, but if you approach those add-on theatres knowing what the BMS team had to work with in terms of code, you will fully appreciate the leaps and bounds they've done to get it where it is now. When you're done, install some skins from JanHas....
jawdrop explode

- Ice
#4372686 - 08/04/17 04:59 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

I do have a BMS account, that's where I got the download.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.