Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4364328 - 06/16/17 04:04 PM Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers)  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
In the discussion of The Accountant, sequel movies were brought up, and I thought about whether a sequel was really the right thing for that movie, and then thought about other movies as well. I put "good" in the subject line to filter out movies that were just bad and thus shouldn't have a sequel, and focus on good movies that would not benefit from a sequel.

To me, a movie that works well, and tells a good story with a good ending (not good as in happy, but just a good wrap up), doesn't really need a sequel, even though everyone seems to want more and of course studios are always looking to make a buck.

My first entries are:

Blade Runner
To me, Blade Runner was a well-crafted story that did its job, exploring the meaning of being human through the eyes of someone whose job it was to make that determination, and the lines got blurry. Even though some of the characters went on to other things, the core story was told and I think it should end there.

Highlander
Yes, Highlander 2 is infamous, but one of the reasons I think it was so bad is that the first movie wrapped things up so well that there was no place to go with the story - it told the whole tale and there wasn't anything more to tell, really. Nobody wanted to see what happened after MacLeod was no longer immortal and had no immortals to sword fight.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364330 - 06/16/17 04:16 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My brain completely agrees with your comments on Blade Runner. My heart tells me otherwise though and I'll still be seeing the sequel on opening weekend in October. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4364336 - 06/16/17 04:46 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
A sequel can be bad, but I do not see anything wrong with sequels themselves.

I don't think Alien needs a sequel, but Aliens is an action cinematic gem. I feel the same about Terminator and Terminator 2.

Without sequels we also would not have STII: The Wrath of Khan, SW: Empire Strikes Back, Superman 2 (the one from 1980, I mean), and Silence of the Lambs (yes...a sequel to Manhunter, which was based on the Red Dragon novel).

So I'll give the sequel a chance, but these days it seems it is more important to market the nostalgia and hype of a sequel instead of trying to surpass the original movie in quality, so I see where your concern comes from.

I think the most recent example of doing this successfully would be Guardians of the Galaxy, which has a very good sequel.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 06/16/17 04:51 PM.
#4364339 - 06/16/17 04:54 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna

Without sequels we also would not have STII: The Wrath of Khan,

I've always seen ST II more as a "reboot" than a sequel to ST: TMP due to it having such a radically different tone, pacing and narrative. Also, there is zero mention of the events of ST:TMP in ST II. It's almost like ST:TMP never even happened.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/16/17 04:55 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4364361 - 06/16/17 05:40 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I am not saying that no movies should have sequels, just that not EVERY good movie needs one. Sequels can be good movies, but some originals just tell the right story, and adding to it would simply detract from what the first movie accomplished.

12 Monkeys is another one. I know they made a series based on it that a lot of people liked, but I think it was long enough after the original, and changed enough stuff, that it wasn't really a direct sequel.

Ken Cartwright

#4364364 - 06/16/17 05:49 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Titanic smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4364371 - 06/16/17 06:16 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Jayhawk]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Titanic smile

Two immediate responses come to mind.

First: hahaha

Second: I said *good* movies... :P

Ken Cartwright

#4364379 - 06/16/17 06:34 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Jayhawk]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Titanic smile

Needs Zombies.

#4364477 - 06/17/17 02:19 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
Now in cinemas across the world: Ghost Ship Titanic!

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#4364482 - 06/17/17 02:50 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Agree with Blade Runner, not so sure about Highlander. If we could only delete Highlander 2 and get a new one...

The Accountant, however, begs for one--it is written for one. When us writers create an IP, often we have a sequel of series in mind, and leave hooks in the story or underdeveloped plotlines--sometimes clues or hints or character arcs begging for more. These bits and pieces, if left untended, leave the original story weaker than it could have been if they were fulfilled the first time around, and we know this, but we do this because without them, a proper sequel would not work. This is why many sequels /do/ fail, or are poor--because the original film was /not/ written with a series in mind.

Die Hard was one of my favorite examples for a long time. Alone, the movie is incredible. But mixed with Die Hard 2... ugh. I still don't like Die Hard 2, my memories of that film are so bad I can't will myself to watch it again. They made up for it with Die Hard 3, but the original wasn't written in a way to suggest there ever being a sequel. However, another big series for the day, Lethal Weapon, was slightly staged for a sequel with a fantastic character dynamic that only got better in later films. The bad sequels don't utilize these hooks to canonically fit themselves in the arcs--and sometimes it is impossible, and when that happens, you do something completely different, but it better be awesome; or maybe the source material is so far out there you do something extreme anyways like Wrath of Khan and enjoy how awesome it is.

#4364624 - 06/18/17 02:48 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
The man who directed the first Rocky movie just died. I read an interesting little tidbit in his autobiography. He said that when he was handed the original script for Rocky, he loved it. Rocky dies at the end. He wins the fight, but he is so brutally beaten that he is rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. Adrian (that was her name, right?) is with him. He doesn't even make it to the hospital. He dies on the way with his head in her lap.
Imagine! No Rocky sequels. What the Hell would Stallone have done for the next ten years?
I don't think audiences would have liked it, though. It defeats the whole uplifting idea about the film that people loved. The little guy who makes it big. Instead, it's about a man who finally realizes his life's dream...and then he dies! Personally, I like the whole bitter sweet idea.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4364639 - 06/18/17 05:08 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway

Highlander - even their catchphrase says it all "There can be only one".
Matrix - thankfully they never created any sequels.

#4364675 - 06/18/17 08:35 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
The first Pirates of the Caribbean was great. Fun, exciting and well-made in most respects. The rest of them do not exist in my world.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4364734 - 06/19/17 11:10 AM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Pooch]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Pooch

Imagine! No Rocky sequels. What the Hell would Stallone have done for the next ten years?

The Rambo movies?

#4364801 - 06/19/17 03:14 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Pooch

The Rambo movies?

Funny you should mention that - "First Blood" was supposed to end with John Rambo dying also.

Do we sense a theme here? biggrin

#4364803 - 06/19/17 03:16 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: semmern]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by semmern
The first Pirates of the Caribbean was great. Fun, exciting and well-made in most respects. The rest of them do not exist in my world.

They made more than the first one? biggrin

Ken Cartwright

#4364810 - 06/19/17 03:32 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
"The Last of the Mohicans 2 - Turns Out He Wasn't the Last After All", now playing at a theater near you. smile

Acutally, I always though a neat short film could be made out of "The Last of the Mohicans": 75 seconds of logos, then followed by a 5 minute credits intro with the Last of the Mohicans riding through beatiful Colonial New England, watering his horse by the creek, standing on a hill looking around meaningful (very), continue riding some more. Then after the intro music faded, we cut to him riding down a field. Suddenly, a shot rings out, he holds his belly, blood spurting out between his fingers, he falls from his horse. The End.

biggrin

Last edited by Jayhawk; 06/19/17 03:37 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4364813 - 06/19/17 03:39 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
"The Last of the Mohicans 2 - Turns Out He Wasn't the Last After All", now playing at a theater near you. smile

It's also discovered that the dastardly French general Montcalm started a famous chain of French restaurants in Quebec after his retirement from the army.

#4364822 - 06/19/17 04:02 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

It's also discovered that the dastardly French general Montcalm started a famous chain of French restaurants in Quebec after his retirement from the army.

hahaha

#4364824 - 06/19/17 04:04 PM Re: Good Movies That Shouldn't Have Sequels (Possible Spoilers) [Re: Arthonon]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
That reminds me of a friend of mine who wanted to get into the UCLA Film Program, and he had to submit a "socially relevant" script as part of his application. He wrote a script about a screenwriter who had written mindless action flicks, and wanted to do something more. As an example of the mindless action flicks this character had written, my friend came up with "The Last Battlefield," and to show typical Hollywood thinking, he added"The Last Battlefield 2." Probably not a surprise that my friend didn't get accepted...

Ken Cartwright

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.