Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4364515 - 06/17/17 07:32 PM Re: Nevada 2.1 lighting HDR appears to be broken. [Re: straycat]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Depth of field is totally borked in my opinion, I mentioned it back in December 2015 when it was brought up at that time. When you move the external camera around and pan/zoom on a specific object, the depth of field objects don't change at all, they're completely static - that isn't how depth of field or 'depth perception' works at all. I don't know how ED have done it, but it's completely wrong and on top of that an absolute frame rate killer.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4364524 - 06/17/17 08:35 PM Re: Nevada 2.1 lighting HDR appears to be broken. [Re: straycat]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Granted, Tom's screens are made somewhere over dam reservoir or Lake Mead, and these areas are in lower-rez parts of the map (both terrain mesh and textures), also very aggressive LoD switching waterman mentioned above doesn't help, and neither does "depth of field". It's a bullcrap option anyway, I always disable it in any games that try to implement it nowadays, just as I do with other useless Hollywood'ish effects. After all, that's neither like human eyes nor cameras work at these distances.

Back to the lighting, I can live with somewhat brighter desert terrain and sky at scorching noon (actually the sun and horizon is a big improvement over 2.0.5), not to mention superior colours and shadows during sunsets and sunrises, but what gets on my nerves is PBR, which, apart from projecting real-time reflections on the external models (yay!) makes them illuminate the damn cockpit from below as well (nay nope ). Fly over concrete - pit turns bright grey, fly over sand - pit turns bright yellow, fly over grass - pit turns green, fly over water - pit turns blue. That's more annoying than non-adjusted texture reflections and I'm a bit worried about how long it's going to take them to tune this right, as it's not a simple question of fixed value gamma adjustment.

#4364636 - 06/18/17 04:21 PM Re: Nevada 2.1 lighting HDR appears to be broken. [Re: Art_J]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
Originally Posted by Art_J
Granted, Tom's screens are made somewhere over dam reservoir or Lake Mead, and these areas are in lower-rez parts of the map (both terrain mesh and textures), also very aggressive LoD switching waterman mentioned above doesn't help, and neither does "depth of field". It's a bullcrap option anyway, I always disable it in any games that try to implement it nowadays, just as I do with other useless Hollywood'ish effects. After all, that's neither like human eyes nor cameras work at these distances.

Back to the lighting, I can live with somewhat brighter desert terrain and sky at scorching noon (actually the sun and horizon is a big improvement over 2.0.5), not to mention superior colours and shadows during sunsets and sunrises, but what gets on my nerves is PBR, which, apart from projecting real-time reflections on the external models (yay!) makes them illuminate the damn cockpit from below as well (nay nope ). Fly over concrete - pit turns bright grey, fly over sand - pit turns bright yellow, fly over grass - pit turns green, fly over water - pit turns blue. That's more annoying than non-adjusted texture reflections and I'm a bit worried about how long it's going to take them to tune this right, as it's not a simple question of fixed value gamma adjustment.

Hi mate!!...well, things getting tinted due to the light bouncing into different color surfaces is perfectly realistic (look for "radiosity"), you can test it by yourself irl...a different thing however is what you said about getting light from places that should totally block the light...but thats, if Im not mistaken, an inherent problem of the PBR lighting (most games nowadays have this problems although it can be improved, and hope ED tune this to avoid as much undesired light as possible) but as I said, its a very nice feature that is not common yet in most games, as well as G.I....I think that we only need some kind of ambient occlusion to get the icing on the cake, graphics wise, and I will be very happy with the lighting department.

Sadly, about NTTR, no matter how good lighting looks if we have those textures frown ...if only they could make them look sharp in the distance...

i7 6700K/// Z170X-UD3 /// GB GTX 1070G1 /// 16Gb@2800 /// SSD + 1Tb Barracuda x2 (DCS here) /// NOX Hummer M750 /// HOTAS WartHog /// DIY IR Clip+Opentrack+PS3 EYE 60-120fps /// Win10 pro 64

#4364678 - 06/18/17 08:50 PM Re: Nevada 2.1 lighting HDR appears to be broken. [Re: straycat]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I'm guessing it's only a single global sample and won't mix proportionally from several different light colors or it's simply cranked up too high like every new wizbang feature from every developer from the beginning of time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.