Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4362815 - 06/08/17 05:15 PM Python or FDL  
Discord Offline
Discord  Offline

Niagara Falls Ontario
I am closing in on enough money to move into the big boys. My first choice is the Imperial Clipper but I do not yet have the rank to buy it, unless they do another community reward where they waive rank restrictions again. I am leaning towards the FDL for pure combat and keeping purpose built ships for trading and exploring. Are there any preferences for builds and can the FDL multirole as well as the Python?

Right now I have a Type 6, Vulture and Imperial Courier which I picked up a year or so ago when the rank was waived because of a community goal. I like the Diamondback series for exploring and I do not yet have Horizons, waiting for the next sale.

One day the West will fall. But if the Liberty for which we fight is taken up by the world then the West will not have failed.
#4362819 - 06/08/17 05:51 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I have owned both. The Python is of course excellent as a multi-role. But for combat, it's slower to turn, and can get CMDRs in trouble fast.

For my combat, I have been using a FdL and FAS. Overall, I prefer the FdL, due to it's stronger shields. However, there is zero chance the FdL can do any multi-role play, at least not the way I've got mine fitted out. It's jump range is barely 12LY, and the fuel tank is so small, that nearly half a tank is spent on each jump.

My FdL combat build:
ED Shipyard

The B rated Power Plant and Thrusters are chosen for their increased Integrity ratings (to tank damage in case the shields drop). But my play style with this ship is to never let the shields drop. If the shields are fading past half way, I'm disengaging, firing an SCB, and charging the FSD to escape now. It's a potent fighter, but I can't find a way to use it for my other play roles.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4362835 - 06/08/17 07:08 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I have yet to fly either of these ships, as I'm new. But I read alot biggrin

Python vs FDL seems to be the same thing as Cobra vs Viper.

The FDL and Viper are pure combat ships. Want to prowl RES sites? Bounty hunt? That's what you want.

But if you want good combat capability while still being able to haul some stuff and run missions, the Python (and Cobra) are better suited.

So I think it comes down to what type of role you need it to do. I imagine that anyone who has played long enough to afford these ships already has a good mission runner. So go FDL if you're looking for a fighter.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4362884 - 06/09/17 02:16 AM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
It's been a while since I've pew-pew'd on either ship but I was totally unimpressed by the FDL. Have they changed it over the last year's worth of patches? My main issue was the arc coverage for weapons... there may be a sweet spot right in front of your ship where you can get ALL weapons to bear, but I'd fully expect it to be a teeny-tiny sweet spot. The biggest gun is on the belly which means your target would either have to be eye-level or below the ship's "waterline." As I'm usually "pulling up" towards my targets, that's an issue. As for the weapons ABOVE the ship's waterline, the ship's body gets in the way so if the target is a teeny-tiny bit off to the left or the right, the guns on the opposite side of the ship would have trouble tracking.

Now while the Python has one hardpoint on the chin, I felt like it could track above the waterline better than FDL's belly hardpoint. So in terms of firepower, the FDL has 4x Medium hardpoints "up top"... are you happy with just 4x Medium weapons tracking your target and maybe the occassional shot from your Huge weapon? Or would you like 2x Medium weapons and 2x Large weapons tracking your target most of the time and maybe an additional 1x Large weapon?

I think a lot of people fly the FAS for good reason... might be another ship to consider.

- Ice
#4362953 - 06/09/17 12:34 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was thinking about this thread last night. Discord said he wanted to get it for combat, and the FDL is still probably the best choice. But.... it's also your first 'big boy' as you said. In that case, if it were me, I'd probably go with the Python because now the new ship can be used for everything. FDL would make a great second big ship. At least that's how I would approach it.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4362961 - 06/09/17 12:52 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

For the price of the FDL... I'd rather have a second Python... one kitted out for multi-role use and another kitted out for pew-pew. I really don't see why someone would want the FDL and even if they mentioned the Huge hardpoint, my counter to that would be the difficulty in actually getting that gun to bear on the target. The FDL cockpit is also annoying... your chair is offset to the right a bit and IME, the horizontal cockpit frame is right in the area where you'd like your target to be to get all guns tracking on the target.

[Linked Image]

- Ice
#4362977 - 06/09/17 01:46 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
Discord Offline
Discord  Offline

Niagara Falls Ontario
I was originally in the Python camp and only recently started thinking about the FDL from a combat standpoint and using other ships for the explorer and transport roles.

In other news I remember why I stored the Imperial Courier, poor weapons and fragile compared to a vulture, and although fast you can make a Imperial Eagle go fast for a lot less. I just can't find a role for the Courier that other ships don't do better or cheaper.

One day the West will fall. But if the Liberty for which we fight is taken up by the world then the West will not have failed.
#4362980 - 06/09/17 01:50 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Personal preference here. The cool bit about Elite is you can buy the ship, buy the modules, take it out for a spin, and if you don't like it, sell them back and you don't really lose very much in credits. Granted with a 51M credit FDL, you'd lose around 4-5M credits but if you're in that region of spending, 5M credits is only a few hours on pew-pew or trade runs and you'll make that money back easily.

- Ice
#4363053 - 06/09/17 08:53 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
The FdL firing arc is not a problem for me, as I fly with all fixed weapons. If one hits, they all will likely hit. And it is a brutal hit. I have one-shot killed shielded Sidewinders and Eagles.

The maneuverability is what I most enjoy, though. The Python is a brick by comparison (IMO, of course). My FdL turns so tight that it actually will turn back into it's own tracks if I pull all the way (basically stalling to a near stop). And the speed, cruising at 400m/s, is pretty handy. Together, these let me bring that brutal firepower exactly where I want it.

About the only ship that gives me trouble (out maneuvers me) so far has been the Imperial Courier. By using some FA-OFF and touches of reverse thrust, I can keep the guns on target. Couriers are both fast, nimble, and pack a decent punch, so I've got to fight for it, especially with the all fixed weapons. But I've yet to have one escape me.

Last edited by adlabs6; 06/09/17 08:54 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4363061 - 06/09/17 09:32 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: adlabs6]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by adlabs6
The FdL firing arc is not a problem for me, as I fly with all fixed weapons. If one hits, they all will likely hit. And it is a brutal hit. I have one-shot killed shielded Sidewinders and Eagles.

Respect! Yeah, if you're good enough to be flying with fixed weapons, then my concerns about weapon placement is moot as the ENTIRE SHIP is one fixed weapons platform.

I may have to try this one day. Been relying on gimballed and turreted weapons as of late... smile

- Ice
#4364067 - 06/15/17 12:01 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
Discord Offline
Discord  Offline

Niagara Falls Ontario
Ok had a Python and really wanted to try the FDL so I traded it in. My opinion, FDL looks better, handles better and is faster, Python can multi-role better but in combat the FDL is way better. That said in PVE the Python is more than equal to any task you give it. I ended up trading in the FDL for a Python again, lost a couple million it appears so I am doing haulage missions for rep and money.

#4364133 - 06/15/17 05:16 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I agree! I wanted the FDL to work so much... I can't remember exactly, but I used to read a book, maybe a "choose your own adventure" book, where the ship looked very much like the FDL. This was probably two decades ago though so obviously my memory is vague, but just seeing the FDL brought back memories. I can't quite remember if the FDL turns better or runs faster than the Python; only that I was very disappointed by the weapon placement. Being able to get more guns to bear on the target, better legs, better multi-role, so I went back to the Python with no qualms at all. Besides, then I picked up Elite, the FDL wasn't released yet and the Python was my "end goal" ship.

- Ice
#4364156 - 06/15/17 06:08 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
The travel range of my FDL kinda killed the joy of using it, espesially when I as looknig at getting the silly component gear upgrades for it.

Parked the game after I got it :/

#4364191 - 06/15/17 08:35 PM Re: Python or FDL [Re: Discord]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The FDL has no legs at all. Maybe just able to patrol the next 1-2 systems, but if you want to travel for anything, the FDL isn't the ship for you. Then again, this is the case for most, if not all pew-pew ships.

- Ice

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.