Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4363258 - 06/11/17 03:57 PM The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF: Mod is now available  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Greetings All,

While working on the training modifications to the current Köln aerodrome for OldHat's project I discovered there was a fort nearby. At almost the same time I made this discovery Shredward sent me a plethora of information about not only the fort but also about the historically important Köln-Butzweilerhof aerodrome as well. Now I should point out that said aerodrome is a project that has been, for quite some time, on my list of things to build for WOFF as it is to Die Fliegertruppe what Farnborough and the CFS were to the RFC/RNAS. However, as this is another one of those LARGE projects it will have to wait a while. But in the course of trading e-mails with Shredward we got on the subject of the ring of forts around Verdun that have never been added into the WOFF landscape. There have only ever been the two forts of Douaumont and Vaux to the NE of the city and unfortunately little time was given to even those, (understandable as there were far more important things to add and refine in the sim). I told Shredward I would look into what I could do in terms of placing the additional dozen or so facilities around "The Devil's Anvil". As I have no clue how to build 3-D models for WOFF, (or any other sim for that matter), I am limited to working with what we currently have. So I've spent some time creating a generic facility file for the forts, (which will allow me to more easily fit them into the landscape), and I've gotten creative with some repainting of the stock textures. I've also added in a few buildings and trees and such to give the thing a bit more depth and life. I have attached a couple of screenies showing the "before and after" differences at this point. While it is not ideal I think what I currently have should show fairly well around Verdun and elsewhere.

(right-click on an image and open it in a new tab to view it full size)

[Linked Image]
The stock Fort Douaumont.

[Linked Image]
My reworked Fort Douaumont.

As always, any and all feedback will be much appreciated. What would be even more appreciated would be someone willing to build new models for each of the many forts that formed the ring around the city during the Great War. smile2

Cheers!

Lou

Attached Files WOFF_UE_Fort_Douaumont_001.jpgWOFF_UE_Fort_Douaumont_002.jpg

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4363270 - 06/11/17 05:29 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Looking good Lou,i really hope somebody can come along and help with the 3d models thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4363284 - 06/11/17 07:42 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Lou

I concur with Adger!! I wish we could entice a modeller into this sim. That would be fantastic.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4363296 - 06/11/17 09:29 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
I think, even if Lou encircles Verdun with the existing fort model, and sprinkles a few more of the important ones up and down the line, that will be a tremendous addition to atmosphere, as well as navigation. However, if someone does want to step up to build landmarks, I have work for them.
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4363305 - 06/12/17 12:28 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Another great idea for a mod, Lou. I'm afraid I can't help with the object modelling, but please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4363313 - 06/12/17 01:03 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks for the input and encouragement everyone and for the offers to help. I have four forts located in the sim landscape so far which is a start, albeit a meager one given that the list I have at the moment contains 21 forts that need to be in and around Verdun. Here is that list, (and if I am missing any I am counting on Shredward to inform me of such):

Fort de Belleville
Fort de Belrupt
Fort de Bois Bourrus
Fort de Chana
Fort de la Chaume
Fort de Choisel
Fort Douaumont
Fort de Dugny
Fort d’Haudainville
Fort de Landrecourt
Fort de Marre
Fort de Moulainville
Fort de Regret
Fort de Rozelier
Fort St. Michel
Fort des Sartelles
Fort de Souville
Fort de Tavannes
Fort de Thiaumont
Fort de Vacherauville
Fort Vaux

It will go more quickly as I move along since I will not need to rework the landscape textures for every facility because once I have a choice of five or so I can pick the best one that fits the situation. Unfortunately I won't have much time this week to devote to this project what with a four-day work trip coming up. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Later All.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4363315 - 06/12/17 01:18 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
21 forts! That is quite a project! If you can merely place one-quarter or one-half of those, that will still be quite an addition to the sim. Heck, even one or two would be great. Bonne chance, mon ami.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4363320 - 06/12/17 02:15 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
You gotta love Lou, he doesnt do anything by halves.
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4363323 - 06/12/17 02:33 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Great idea, Lou.

I asked Geezer, and he has given me permission to convert his Models to use in WOFF. No promises on when they will get done, but I'll work on it. I can't make new models, but I can adjust these to fit the WOFF terrain, as needed. Gives me something to do while I wait for the rest of the training models to be completed.

Here is his work:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files forts-1reduced.jpgforts-2reduced.jpgforts-3reduced.jpgforts-4reduced.jpgforts-5reduced.jpgGeezer2reduced.jpg
Last edited by OldHat; 06/12/17 02:39 AM.
#4363351 - 06/12/17 09:37 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
jeanba Offline
jeanba  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Greetings All,

While working on the training modifications to the current Köln aerodrome for OldHat's project I discovered there was a fort nearby. At almost the same time I made this discovery Shredward sent me a plethora of information about not only the fort but also about the historically important Köln-Butzweilerhof aerodrome as well. Now I should point out that said aerodrome is a project that has been, for quite some time, on my list of things to build for WOFF as it is to Die Fliegertruppe what Farnborough and the CFS were to the RFC/RNAS. However, as this is another one of those LARGE projects it will have to wait a while. But in the course of trading e-mails with Shredward we got on the subject of the ring of forts around Verdun that have never been added into the WOFF landscape. There have only ever been the two forts of Douaumont and Vaux to the NE of the city and unfortunately little time was given to even those, (understandable as there were far more important things to add and refine in the sim). I told Shredward I would look into what I could do in terms of placing the additional dozen or so facilities around "The Devil's Anvil". As I have no clue how to build 3-D models for WOFF, (or any other sim for that matter), I am limited to working with what we currently have. So I've spent some time creating a generic facility file for the forts, (which will allow me to more easily fit them into the landscape), and I've gotten creative with some repainting of the stock textures. I've also added in a few buildings and trees and such to give the thing a bit more depth and life. I have attached a couple of screenies showing the "before and after" differences at this point. While it is not ideal I think what I currently have should show fairly well around Verdun and elsewhere.

(right-click on an image and open it in a new tab to view it full size)

[Linked Image]
The stock Fort Douaumont.

[Linked Image]
My reworked Fort Douaumont.

As always, any and all feedback will be much appreciated. What would be even more appreciated would be someone willing to build new models for each of the many forts that formed the ring around the city during the Great War. smile2

Cheers!

Lou

Genius on the rise of flight forum did something similar
Also, check this book :
http://revueicare.com/LA-BATAILLE-AERIENNE-DE-VERDUN-1916

Lot of high quality and large pictures

#4363370 - 06/12/17 12:17 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Very nice Lou, I would like to help, but I have absolutely no computer skills. I can turn it and off. I built it, but that is the extent of my computer skills. I t is god that we have talented people such as you and all the other fine people who increase the immersion of this sim.

Last edited by Mr_Dirt; 06/12/17 12:17 PM.
#4364619 - 06/18/17 02:26 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks for the continued input and support folks, it is always inspiring. The following is a screenshot of a very nice fort model built and provided by Geezer and ported over into WOFF UE by OldHat. I am about done with the repainted textures you see here, which I just put together in order to have it all blend better with the landscape and look a bit more "organic".

(right-click on image and open in new tab to view it full size)
[Linked Image]

I have all the forts placed around Verdun and am now going around a second time and giving each a final tweak to fit them properly to their immediate surroundings, (having them hook up to nearby roads and such).

Must head out now for the day but I am hopeful that I can get back to this project again soon as there is still a fair amount to do.

Later all.

Lou

[Linked Image]

#4364621 - 06/18/17 02:40 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Very nicely done Lou. Color tones and feeder road placements are spot on mate!

(System_Specs)

#4364701 - 06/19/17 01:57 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
They'll never try and take Verdun now !

We will remember them.
#4364703 - 06/19/17 02:11 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Incredible work as always, Lou. Forts, airfields...I vote you to be the Official Landscaper for WOFF UE. smile
Seriously though, your talents and dedication are deeply appreciated, good sir.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4364972 - 06/20/17 08:16 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
jeanba Offline
jeanba  Offline

Great !

#4364982 - 06/20/17 10:33 AM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: Hellshade]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by Hellshade
Incredible work as always, Lou. Forts, airfields...I vote you to be the Official Landscaper for WOFF UE. smile
Seriously though, your talents and dedication are deeply appreciated, good sir.

+1 thumbsup

#4365004 - 06/20/17 12:42 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Looks Great! Can't wait to see it in game smile

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4388621 - 11/07/17 01:54 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Good Morning All,

I can't believe it has been nearly five months since I last touched this project, what with the various curve balls RL has thrown at my family and I during the interim. However, I am easing back into my WOFF building efforts and this will be the first one I intend to complete. This last weekend I had time to work on the damaged textures for the forts in order to represent the first half of 1916 when a fair number of them were being attacked. By the last half of 1916 most of the forts to the east and north of Verdun were entirely flattened so my intent will be to have you see this in the sim landscape even if the front lines have not yet swept across the aforementioned forts. As is always the case with OFF/WOFF and its vintage game engine compromises must be made in order to get to where you want to be with such projects.

In addition to the ring of forts around Verdun I am also intending on adding in a few of the more historically important forts along the Western Front that can serve as additional landmarks and navigation aids. I traded emails with Shredward about this and he heartily agrees and will no doubt provide me with more info about such facilities than I will ever be able to use - the man's a wealth of such knowledge.

I am attaching a teaser showing the beginnings of the first of these historically important forts. I knocked together the skeleton for it over the last couple of mornings before work and I have the scale of thing fairly sorted out at this point and am now getting things placed about before I further refine and tweak the textures to blend and fit with the surroundings. You folks will now know at a glance when you are flitting about in the area of Lille. smile2

Later Gents!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Attached Files WOFF UE Lille Citadel test 002.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_Cathedral_001.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_Cathedral_002.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_Cathedral_004.jpgWOFF_viaduct_test_009.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_bridge_test_001.jpgWOFF_UE_Fullofit_Bridge_01.jpgWOFF_UE_Fullofit_Bridge_02.jpgWOFF_UE_Fullofit_Bridge_03.jpgWOFF_UE_Fullofit_Bridge_04.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_cemetery_test_001.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_cemetery_test_002.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_cemetery_test_003.jpgWOFF_UE_Belfort_barracks_test_001.jpg
#4388622 - 11/07/17 02:00 PM Re: The missing forts around Verdun in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Lou;

I am happy to see you finding time for your pleasures in life. I know it's been a long haul and it's not over yet. Hang in there mate. Oh and by the way, how is the read going on Barker?

Best Regards!

(System_Specs)