Hop To
#4362555 - 06/07/17 09:34 AM Eye contact ideas for video telephony  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Hi Guys,

As part of my "Counselor in Training" work I started coaching clients via Skype video call, which generally is a market that will be interesting to develop.

But more so than in any other type of video conference here I hate the fact that I can't get good eye contact with the person on the other side. Because I need to keep a good feeling for that person's emotional state, I really need to focus on his face and body language. The camera is on top of the screen so has me looking downwards. And that creates a disconnect when I speak with him.

So, basically now I'm looking for creative solutions which will solve this problem. One idea I had is to put the client on my large TV, and place a small webcam - like the size of lens that you find in a laptop - somewhere on the TV in front of the face. But I can't find any small webcams that are really not obstructing the picture behind them.

Another idea I had - not sure if feasible - would be to use a projector and beam the video picture onto a white board with hole cut for the camera at about eye level. I suppose the camera might get blinded by the projecting light however.

Looked at some solutions online, and it seems this is one area where lots of people had some ideas but nothing really exsists. I think my prefered thing would be a 30" TV screen with a peephole camera embedded in the upper third of the display. Doesn't seem like they make such a thing....

Let me know if you have some feasible ideas, we've got a lot of clever people here smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4362567 - 06/07/17 11:23 AM Re: Eye contact ideas for video telephony [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I notice in some sporting events and sports teaching, they have multiple cameras set up. But from that limited number of (apparently) stationary cameras they can get any view angle.

Possibly, the views from the multiple cameras are blended with software to provide a computer-constructed-view from any desired angle or position. At least I assume its done with software -- I just see the results.

So, maybe put 2 or 3 cameras around the edge of the screen and use software to generate the view angle the viewer would prefer.

This is merely stream of consciousness from me. I have no idea if it is practical or how it is actually done.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4362578 - 06/07/17 12:25 PM Re: Eye contact ideas for video telephony [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
A tele-prompter comes to mind. Put the video of the person up on the prompter display. Then you'll be looking directly into the camera while looking at the person on the other end.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4362600 - 06/07/17 04:25 PM Re: Eye contact ideas for video telephony [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Hi Guys,

As part of my "Counselor in Training" work I started coaching clients via Skype video call, which generally is a market that will be interesting to develop.

But more so than in any other type of video conference here I hate the fact that I can't get good eye contact with the person on the other side. Because I need to keep a good feeling for that person's emotional state, I really need to focus on his face and body language. The camera is on top of the screen so has me looking downwards. And that creates a disconnect when I speak with him.

So, basically now I'm looking for creative solutions which will solve this problem. One idea I had is to put the client on my large TV, and place a small webcam - like the size of lens that you find in a laptop - somewhere on the TV in front of the face. But I can't find any small webcams that are really not obstructing the picture behind them.

Another idea I had - not sure if feasible - would be to use a projector and beam the video picture onto a white board with hole cut for the camera at about eye level. I suppose the camera might get blinded by the projecting light however.

Looked at some solutions online, and it seems this is one area where lots of people had some ideas but nothing really exsists. I think my prefered thing would be a 30" TV screen with a peephole camera embedded in the upper third of the display. Doesn't seem like they make such a thing....

Let me know if you have some feasible ideas, we've got a lot of clever people here smile

You could use your projection screen idea, but do it with a rear-projection screen instead of the conventional way. That prevent the camera being blinded by the projected light. You would want the camera to be as small as p[ossible to minimize the shadow that it would cast though...

It would probably be more practical to just setup a small camera between you and a largish screen. You will basically be 'looking past' the camera, but the client will have an unobstructed view of you.

#4362614 - 06/07/17 06:46 PM Re: Eye contact ideas for video telephony [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Here's my thought:
People don't usually sit and talk to each other face to face as close up as video calls go. They sit back. They have personal space. We don't talk to each other face in each other's face, 2' apart like video calls suggest.
If you want it to be similar to in person...and have enough camera angle to observe their hands, feet, posture etc...move away from the camera. Sitting back away from it, having the camera on top of the monitor will look fine most likely due to the distance. It's just when you're all up in your face with a camera that you really notice the offset from screen to camera. Plus, if they're sitting at a desk doing this, you can't observe them and they aren't able to relax either.
Each side set up a chair 5-6' out without obstructions. Use a camera with a good mic or pick up a cheap directional mic for the desk and YOU need a large monitor so you can observe well.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4362918 - 06/09/17 08:15 AM Re: Eye contact ideas for video telephony [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, they are all pretty good. I think the mix of a large screen and a "camera in the middle" might be the easiest, the projector tv and teleprompter will take a bit more work or money but are also very usable.

And I agree with Kryp that leaning a bit back can't hurt either, which again would be helped by having a larger screen.

I'm thinking Laptop on the couch screen, me on the couch with a headset or directional mic/speakers, the camera middle distance between TV and me on a thin tripod mount.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.