Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4362794 - 06/08/17 03:33 PM Gun Damage?  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi All,

I have a curious story about my flight last night. Was doing a quick combat in a SPAD 7 against a swarm of Albatros fighters from Jasta 11. The battle was intense and my plane, as you would imagine, was hit several times. In the process, I was treated to the cockpit damage effects which I haven't seen much of yet (usually if the cockpit is hit, my pilot is also killed).

Noticed something interesting, however. It appears that my gun was also hit - as the attached image will show. As I turned to open fire on a target, I discovered that my gun was firing - it seemed, erratically. The sounds replicated this with a very off rhythm *bang.... bang bang.... bang.... bang....*

So... my question if the devs or other knowledgeable folks come by - does WOFF model damage to the guns? If so - that is an intensity of attention to detail that is... almost disturbing. hahaha

I was left sitting in my chair after the game closed thinking to myself, "first of all... what are the odds that something is going to hit your gun? And second... who in their right mind models that?!"

Once again guys, I'm impressed. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Attached Files Shot06-07-17-17-47-34.jpg
#4362800 - 06/08/17 03:45 PM Re: Gun Damage? [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Hi CaptSopwith, yes indeed when the guns are hit there is usually a bullet hole to indicate so. Yes guns can be damaged, and enough for them to stop working.
Unfortunately with the "bloody" goggles effects of pilot damage when the pilot is wounded it means it's hard to see holes. But in many craft bullet holes may appear in fuel tanks behind the pilot if visible for example.
Also there are holes that can appear in canvas sides, dials, glass etc. Worth looking around when you get hit wink.
There are also oil leaks on the outside of the engine area on some aircraft when the oil tank or engine is damaged. Also oil splats on the windscreen, and blood from the pilot of course can appear on the screen or dials/dash.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4362802 - 06/08/17 03:49 PM Re: Gun Damage? [Re: Polovski]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by Polovski
Hi CaptSopwith, yes indeed when the guns are hit there is usually a bullet hole to indicate so. Yes guns can be damaged, and enough for them to stop working.
Unfortunately with the "bloody" goggles effects of pilot damage when the pilot is wounded it means it's hard to see holes. But in many craft bullet holes may appear in fuel tanks behind the pilot if visible for example.
Also there are holes that can appear in canvas sides, dials, glass etc. Worth looking around when you get hit wink.
There are also oil leaks on the outside of the engine area on some aircraft when the oil tank or engine is damaged. Also oil splats on the windscreen, and blood from the pilot of course can appear on the screen or dials/dash.

WOW! That is really a great game feature....I have also noticed what I think is blood splatter from my observer. It happened on my last "bomb from the air" exercise...obs was injured, I was not, but I still had the splatter, so I assume it was from my mate....

Great job Polovski and team!

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4362987 - 06/09/17 02:37 PM Re: Gun Damage? [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks, indeed your observer can be wounded sometimes blood is seen on his screen glass or somewhere else in the observer pit. You should also see holes in various places when he is hit in the observer pit.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social