Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by - Ice
Originally Posted by DBond
Maybe I will eat my words Ice, but I plan to never buy a docking computer.

If you do trading, you'll want one after your 1,655,789th landing. Maybe even earlier than that smile

Originally Posted by Recluse
My excuse for piling up cash is saving for a Corvette eventually...maybe Fed Rank grinding is my next endeavor while I pile up the ducats. Probably would sell off some ships for the Corvette too.

Why Corvette? Pew-pew? Even so, would you feel comfortable pew-pewing in such a ship? What's the insurance like for a good combat Corvette build? 51M credits alone for 7A thrusters and I assume A-rated thrusters are a must for a pew-pew ship....

I agree regarding the Docking computer. Restful to request docking, zero the throttle and sit back and relax or go for a break.

Corvette: Who doesn't want to be the biggest baddest Bully on the RES???? Yes, PEW PEW, but the Vette is a pretty big ship and can probably haul cargo and passengers too (though it would be a waste).

But, yes, the cost and rebuy will be exorbitant. People manage, though, right?

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4364219 - 06/15/17 11:54 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Bohemond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by Bohemond
Wow,
If those figures are correct, I should have made in at the %25 mark. Sweet! I must thank those who allowed me to wing up, a big <S> to you!

Now you'll be on the lookout for the next BH CG, right? Always welcome to wing up!

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364242 - 06/16/17 04:37 AM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Recluse yes, got the payday. Saw your message after you had logged off. I don't pay good attention smile Enough cash to A-rate the AspX, which is nice. I then flew it on a 430 LY trip to the new CG just to qualify at min level for each.

I said the advanced scanner would pay for itself, which it did indeed. 1.2 mil in discovery on that trip alone, which I think is exactly what the scanner costs lol.

Bohemond that's a good payday eh? I'm guessing we're at roughly the same stage? I doubt I'll have a better combat ship than the Vulture by the next BH CG, so maybe we can wing up twin Vultures.

I guess the best yardstick of progress is total assets? Of course not everyone is playing it for that. I could see some guys with just a single good exploration ship and making good progress even if not reflected in ducats. But for most it's about making money right? I'm at 60 million, which could barely buy the engine in the Recluse Anaconda lol. I'm still at the 'isn't that cute' stage compared to you guys who've been playing for a few years.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4364249 - 06/16/17 08:08 AM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Recluse]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted by Bohemond
Wow,
If those figures are correct, I should have made in at the %25 mark. Sweet! I must thank those who allowed me to wing up, a big <S> to you!

Now you'll be on the lookout for the next BH CG, right? Always welcome to wing up!

Most def! Had a blast, figuratively and literally.

DBond,
Haven't cashed in yet on the rewards for the CG. Will do it tonite. Then back to the hunt for $. Hopefully, there will be another bh CG soon. In the meantime, I'll wing up anytime I'm on.

Last edited by Bohemond; 06/16/17 08:16 AM.
#4364292 - 06/16/17 01:43 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Enough cash to A-rate the AspX, which is nice. I then flew it on a 430 LY trip to the new CG just to qualify at min level for each.

Early on, a 100+LY trip will be like "oh no! that's too far!!" but with a good Asp, it's "just down the road" for that type of ship!

I said the advanced scanner would pay for itself, which it did indeed. 1.2 mil in discovery on that trip alone, which I think is exactly what the scanner costs lol.

Hmmm... wonder who gave that sage advice? biggrin biggrin biggrin
1.5M credits for the scanner, so if you take another trip somewhere else, ka-ching!

I guess the best yardstick of progress is total assets?

I'd love to humble-brag here but I'm sure others will have me beaten... the best yardstick is how much fun you're having with the game, how you are accomplishing your goals. That's the beauty of the sandbox system. So what if you've got a few million credits in your pocket but you're absolutely miserable because you don't like trading? Do what you want to do and have fun!

- Ice
#4364297 - 06/16/17 01:53 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Credits can't buy you happiness, but they can buy you a better ship to seek it in smile

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364306 - 06/16/17 02:25 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

1.5M credits for the scanner, so if you take another trip somewhere else, ka-ching!

LOL I think it was some guy named Recluse

In this post

1st: Spend the money on an ADVANCED DISCOVERY SCANNER. It will allow you scan entire systems and bring you quite a bit of reward from the Cartographic Offices as well as raise your explorer rank.
2nd: When you get into an UNKNOWN system, you can locate, stop at and SCAN the Navigation Beacon. This will give you a System Map
3rd: By default you should see all the Orbitals. and Outposts but if the base is ON A PLANET it is more difficult to find. The Blue lines on planet mean that you can land on it though there may or may not be a base there. Virchow station is ON the Planet. You won't see it until you are quite close to the planet it is on which can sometimes be problematic to determing.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364308 - 06/16/17 02:30 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Recluse]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
IMHO, It's not the destination, it's all about the trip. That said, credits make the voyage more comfortable.

#4364313 - 06/16/17 02:52 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: - Ice]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

It was you yes, and I gave you credit a few posts back. But here's a little more credit where credit is due. And credit to anyone else who may have mentioned it. I know what it's like to post advice in a thread, then someone else says the same thing, and the OP or whoever thanks that guy and you're like I already said that! What about me? Is this thing on?

Oh, I see it may have been Recluse. Credit to everyone!

That one trip shot me from about 40% Scout to 30% Surveyor and opened up some very high paying longer range missions. Cha-ching indeed. My Cobra has good jump range, but the Asp is better, and I flew well over 1000 LY last night no problem. Add in a good scoop and this thing can fly non-stop anywhere.

For guys that have the AspX, what do you use your size 6 bay for? I have it as a cargo rack, but curious if you prefer to have a scoop or shields or something else there?

Last edited by DBond; 06/16/17 02:59 PM.

#4364346 - 06/16/17 05:10 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

LOL I think it was some guy named Recluse

Who? Where? biggrin biggrin biggrin

It was you yes, and I gave you credit a few posts back. But here's a little more credit where credit is due. And credit to anyone else who may have mentioned it. I know what it's like to post advice in a thread, then someone else says the same thing, and the OP or whoever thanks that guy and you're like I already said that! What about me? Is this thing on?

Hahaha... don't mind me there, DBond, just having a bit of fun. I just remember having to sort of justify the cost of the ADS as you were not sure if it was worth the credits. Recluse did mention it before I did so credit to his sagely advice biggrin I'll have to settle for "great minds think alike" then!

For guys that have the AspX, what do you use your size 6 bay for? I have it as a cargo rack, but curious if you prefer to have a scoop or shields or something else there?

I was just wondering, with the proper fit, do the different Asp versions (explorer, scout) end up with different jump ranges? Using stock components of course... none of that Engineering black magic!!

- Ice
#4364359 - 06/16/17 05:38 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

Hahaha... don't mind me there, DBond, just having a bit of fun. I just remember having to sort of justify the cost of the ADS as you were not sure if it was worth the credits. Recluse did mention it before I did so credit to his sagely advice biggrin I'll have to settle for "great minds think alike" then!

LOL... Don't mind me either!! smile smile I have learned quite a lot from - Ice on these forums and will gladly acknowledge his ED experience and wisdom!
kneeldown

When someone comes asking advice and the firehose of tips and tricks spews forth it takes some time to sort through it all and slowly the gibberish starts making sense!!

I was just wondering, with the proper fit, do the different Asp versions (explorer, scout) end up with different jump ranges? Using stock components of course... none of that Engineering black magic!!

D-rating what you can (except for FSD) and shedding weight wherever possible seems to give you the best jump ranges though at the expense of armor and shields.

I did a quick test on Coriolis. Comparably equipped/stripped builds of ASP-X and ASP-S show the ASP-X with significantly better jump range.

ASPX-Stripped

ASP-S Stripped

Last edited by Recluse; 06/16/17 05:41 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364383 - 06/16/17 06:59 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Before buying the AspX I compared it to the Scout. The AspX had about a 2.5 LY advantage over the Scout in default config.

After zipping around the galaxy with the Vulture's 11 LY range, having 30 is downright luxurious. That 430 LY trip was done in 21 hops with no stops needed.

#4364396 - 06/16/17 09:14 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Recluse]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

LOL... Don't mind me either!! smile smile I have learned quite a lot from - Ice on these forums and will gladly acknowledge his ED experience and wisdom!

Thanks for the kind words but I stopped playing at least a year ago now (damn, time flies by so fast!!) so what I know probably no longer holds true due to patches and fixes. It's interesting to know how the game has changed from your feedback!

I did a quick test on Coriolis. Comparably equipped/stripped builds of ASP-X and ASP-S show the ASP-X with significantly better jump range.

ASPX-Stripped

ASP-S Stripped

Thanks for that confirmation! For some reason, I initially wondered why you were showing stripped-down builds, then it occurred to me that it is the best way indeed of comparing just jump ranges. I would A-rate the thrusters and D-rate the life support --- better turning and faster speed is the realm of thrusters and is one of those things you'd like when you're running away from baddies.

Looking at the slots available on either ship, why would someone want an Asp Scout over an Asp Explorer? The Ex has more utility mounts, better internal slots, more hardpoints (not that it matters much), and so on.... so what does the Scout have? Better silent running maybe?

- Ice
#4364399 - 06/16/17 09:44 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
For this exercise, A rating the Thrusters decreased Jump range significantly more than D-rating Life support would compensate for. I learned through bitter experience that 15 minutes of Life Support can mean the difference between saving your ship and losing it. Granted, I wouldn't be taking an ASP build into combat if I could avoid it, but the terror of a cracked canopy is somewhat mitigated knowing you have time to get to a station...

Not sure why the Scout would be preferred over the Explorer. Cost? Speed? Nothing recommends it to me for sure...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364402 - 06/16/17 09:59 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

How can the 7 minutes of the D-rated life support not be enough?

- Ice
#4364409 - 06/16/17 10:31 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
How can the 7 minutes of the D-rated life support not be enough?

EASILY..... if the nearest station is several thousand light seconds from the star, or you are stuck in an uninhabited system and have to jump to find one with a station. Mostly it has happened to me in a RES where it takes time to get out of Mass Lock when you are getting continually shot at, and maybe have to High Wake out, then find a station...and maybe you dont have a docking computer or it is shot to hell and you are on the wrong side of a Coriolis starport, or an Outpost denies you docking till it clears the traffic.

SEVERAL times I was incredibly glad for the extra 8 minutes.

Also we had an event where one of our newer guys ran out of fuel. Unfortunately, by the time he told us and we properly diagnosed the problem he was on Emergency Oxygen. We mounted a rescue attempt and failed by literally seconds. In that case, he DID have the 15 minutes of Life Support, but it just wasn't enough. (Yes we followed the Fuel Rat protocols having him log off etc... ) but it was just too far gone and through some miscommunication on top of the limited time, I didn't get the fuel limpet fired off in time.

Last edited by Recluse; 06/17/17 03:06 AM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364439 - 06/17/17 06:22 AM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

THe whole life support this is idiotic. As if you wouldnt have a few 30 min air tanks on y our ship just in case. That is one thing I hate about the game. It's gamey to the n'th.

#4364457 - 06/17/17 11:33 AM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

You seem to getting cockpit breaches a lot then!! biggrin I only had two occurrences.... but then again, I don't pew-pew as much. The only time I "failed" to RTB was when I forgot to ask for docking permission, had to fly back out... and by the time the timer was out, so was my oxygen smile

- Ice
#4364468 - 06/17/17 01:02 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I agree with Recluse that there could be times when 7 minutes isn't enough. That said, I purposely pick my RES hunting sites close to a station. In those cases, 7 minutes is plenty. But there could be times when I get shot up and it wasn't on a combat hop. For example the other night I was running a mission and the outpost was 600,000 LS from the star! If I got shot up around there there's no way I'm reaching a station in 7 minutes. That's a 20 minute flight easy.

I've only had my canopy shot out once so far though. But it pays to be prepared.

You know when you get interdicted and you can choose to submit or attempt to evade? I've done plenty of both. But after probably 30 times I have yet to NOT successfully evade. I understand that if I do fail I take damage and there is a longer FSD cooldown. But so far that hasn't been a problem. Does the ship that is attempting to pull you out make a difference in how difficult it is to evade? Can I see what type of ship it is during the interdicting/evading phase?

#4364471 - 06/17/17 01:25 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

You know when you get interdicted and you can choose to submit or attempt to evade? I've done plenty of both. But after probably 30 times I have yet to NOT successfully evade. I understand that if I do fail I take damage and there is a longer FSD cooldown. But so far that hasn't been a problem. Does the ship that is attempting to pull you out make a difference in how difficult it is to evade? Can I see what type of ship it is during the interdicting/evading phase?

That is a good question. I always thought it was strange that a tiny ship like an Eagle should be able to yank an Anaconda out of Supercruise, but I suppose the Magic Physics of Elite Dangerous Frame Shift Interdiction isn't Mass sensitive. Funny since the Magic Physics of Elite Dangerous Frame Shift Drive is Mass Sensitive when it comes to Low Wake Mass lock and size of Frame Shift drive for a given hull... Ah well.. Willing suspension of disbelief...

You can see who is interdicting you on the CONTACTS panel on the LEFT UI Panel. Usually the would be interdictor will send you a message, and thus, you know their name. You can select that in CONTACTS and see what type of ship it is.

Except when I felt like playing the "mini-game", I ALWAYS submit, for the FSD cooldown advantage, as well as the control advantage. When you get forcibly pulled out, you spin around a bit and cannot prepare weapons etc.. for a short period. Interestingly it appears that the INTERDICTOR suffers the same fate whether or not their target submits or is forced out, so the Interdictee has a SLIGHT advantage there. I took some missions to kill a certain number of ships from a particular faction (ALL WANTED, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!) and spent a little time on the other side of the Interdiction equation. LOL.. I really sucked at it!!

Last edited by Recluse; 06/17/17 01:26 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.