Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4359297 - 05/24/17 08:35 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I want it but I dont want to pay full price for it. Ill probably pick it up when it goes on sale at the end of the year.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4359764 - 05/27/17 01:08 AM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Same here looks great, prices are coming down now, the lowest so far is $28.99 and I'm sure a few more months it will hit my $20 sweet spot.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4367294 - 07/03/17 04:26 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well I picked it up in the Steam sale and installed it yesterday. Played for five hours and I like it alot. It has elements of System Shock, Half-Life and other great games. The pacing (in the first five hours) is excellent, just my style. I don't feel like I am constantly in danger, always under assault like in some games. But you know danger lurks around the corner. It's early, but this one looks a winner, as PM already told me thumbsup

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4367296 - 07/03/17 04:29 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm glad you like it so far DBond. Arkane really does know how to make compelling first person games.

Right now I'm in the middle of playing Alien: Isolation and I'm enjoying the sheer creepiness!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4367302 - 07/03/17 04:44 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I wish they had kept the American Indian theme the original Prey had; it added a really interesting twist to shooters you often never see.

#4367306 - 07/03/17 04:51 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, thanks for the recommendation, just my style as I said.

I am really liking the environment and sense of exploration. Neuromods are cool and diverse. The story has already hooked me

Enemies are interesting and who doesn't like whacking things with a hefty pipe wrench? Multiple solutions to any problem, as is the Arkane way. Lot of backtracking, but that's OK and gives me a sense of existing in the environment as I figure it out as opposed to having different areas to 'get through'. I haven't had this much fun discovering a game's world in a long time.

#4367307 - 07/03/17 04:55 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Yeah, the Talos 1 station is essentially one big level that you are free to explore at any time and no section ever gets "cut off" when you complete a specific story mission.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4367580 - 07/05/17 12:53 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
I will chime in and add that I just finished Prey and thought it was great.

Great spiritual successor to System Shock 2. The Talos 1 was an excellently imagined location.

#4367582 - 07/05/17 12:58 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I remember feeling like I've crapped my pants the first time I saw a "nightmare". biggrin

#4367597 - 07/05/17 02:04 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I agree Pugio, Talos 1 is well designed and a place that seems to make sense. As mentioned I am enjoying discovering it. As I said in another thread, I rarely read spoilers for this sort of game, unless I get hopelessly stuck, and it's been fun exploring and solving the various challenges that arise.

As an example, there was one fabrication plan that I really wanted to find, shotgun shells. Plenty of players would google it, and beeline for the spot. I just kept playing, not knowing if I would ever actually find it. I did though, and the sense of satisfaction and discovery is much better this way. So much of what is great about this sort of game is lost on players who know ahead of time what to do, where to go, what to expect and where things are.

I have just traversed GUTS to reach the Arboretum where I halted for the night. Nightmares eh PM? There must have been something at the start of the Arboretum , because there was a hellish sound and January told me to stay away from whatever the hell it was. Thing is I didn't even see it. Probably this Nightmare aberration you speak of.

#4367599 - 07/05/17 02:29 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Navigating through the zero-G GUTS section was a blast. I had never done anything like that before in any previous first person shooter.

#4367602 - 07/05/17 02:50 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

One thing I appreciate for replayability is that some of the lock codes are random, so you are forced to go through the same steps to get them. However, a few key locations with a code do not change.

#4367605 - 07/05/17 02:57 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I thought it was just a remake of the original, which to be honest wasn't that great.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4367606 - 07/05/17 03:07 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
asGood game i play it daily and like it..wore out Half life

Russ
Semper Fi
#4367614 - 07/05/17 03:57 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: Dart]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Dart
I thought it was just a remake of the original, which to be honest wasn't that great.

There was a Prey 2 in the works, and Bethesda owns the name. That studio, Talking Heads I think, never produced a game that Bethesda felt comfortable releasing and it was cancelled. But they still owned the name. So they approached Arkane about it and they were all like "Well, if we can do it our way, we are in" and so they did. The original Prey took like 10 years to come out as I remember it. It was announced back when Duke Nukem was a good game. But it didn't get released until the mid-2000s.

I'd say the only things that this Prey and the old Prey have in common are the name and the fact that it's space with aliens.

This new Prey is good. It's essentially what you'd get if you melded Half-Life, System Shock 2 and Dishonored together. Nothing wrong with that.

#4367615 - 07/05/17 04:01 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I only played the demo for the previous "Prey" title but I really didn't care for it. This new "Prey" by Arkane really was special. It's not your typical formulaic sci-fi shooter at all.

#4367623 - 07/05/17 04:27 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Yep. The original Prey was a an outdated game by the time it was released. Innovative? I'd say yes, but not groundbreaking, and sales reflected that. Prey 2 had a rendered teaser trailer and a crude alpha footage as proof it existed at some point. Then everyone, except a small group of followers forgot all about it until this game was announced. Then the supposed "indignation" for Bethesda killing the original Prey franchise started, and to some point, it smeared the release of a brilliant game.

Bethesda's failure was to to wait until this was announced to confirm there would be no Prey 2 based on the original Prey, even though the developers of the original have long been absorbed by ZeniMax.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 07/05/17 07:47 PM.
#4367668 - 07/05/17 08:43 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
It's the one game I bought in the Steam summer sale, and I must say in all my years of gaming (and yes, I played System Shock 2 when it was new), this is the best marriage of narrative and level design I have ever seen in the FPS genre.
This will be remembered as a masterpiece of the genre, IMO.

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#4367720 - 07/06/17 10:56 AM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: sinner6]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by sinner6

This will be remembered as a masterpiece of the genre, IMO.

I believe so as well. I've finished the game twice but reading this thread has tempted me to replay it again soon! biggrin

#4367755 - 07/06/17 03:30 PM Re: Prey - New scifi shooter from Arkane [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Navigating through the zero-G GUTS section was a blast. I had never done anything like that before in any previous first person shooter.

I agree, and while GUTS is very cool, it's the 'free flight' around the entire facility that I find even better, revealing the sheer scale of the station and hinting at the disaster within..

I don't want to sound hyperbolic, but I can think of little about this game that is poorly implemented. Sound design is fantastic, the narrative as Sinner put it is excellent. I am enjoying piecing together the story from the fragments found around the station. I admit there are some games where I tend to skim over some of the reading that is encountered, but in Prey that isn't the case, no doubt helped by the brevity of said fragment. There isn't too much of it. I would even say that one of Prey's strengths is there isn't TOO much of anything really. There is plenty of diversity.. in settings, in actions, in solutions, in tools, even in enemies.

Upgrades/skill trees are attractive and useful. I like any game that makes me dwell over choices, weighing the opportunity cost. Neuromod fabrication perhaps lessens this to an extent, but still, I find so many of them attractive, unlike say Dishonored 2 where most of the skills just weren't for me and I had become upgraded as far as I cared to be within a short time.

Maybe you could argue that Prey isn't a great shooter, but my shotgun begs to differ smile

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.