Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4359686 - 05/26/17 08:17 PM Re: Normandy Map and assets pack now available [Re: Force10]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Jesus, it took 4 hours just to get the update (I dont own Normandy)

So first night of the great split , DCS 2.1 14 servers and a massive total of 40 players, wow great job splitting up this already small community

So we now have

2.1 With Nevada
2.1 With Nevada + WW2 Assets pack
2.1 With Normandy
2.1 With Normandy + WW2 Assets pack

1.56 With Black sea map
1.56 With Black sea map + WW2 Assets pack

DIfferent servers , way to go eagle Dynamics

The WW2 assets SHOULD have been part of the core game engine
By all means release a WW2 CA that people can purchase if they want to control WW2 assets in Combined arms

But to ask people to pay for content that they cannot even use(drive/shoot etc) is bordering on retarded

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4359690 - 05/26/17 08:30 PM Re: Normandy Map and assets pack now available [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
The_GhostRider Offline
The_GhostRider  Offline

Cleveland OH
I happened to be off today so I downloaded in installed. What a PIA. Gigs of download only to have the module manager not see the Normandy bits. OK update manually got the terrain then another for the assets. About 3 hours on high-speed connection to download
.Patience wearing thin. Fire it up in VR (Oculus CV1) and it's a freakin stutter fest. Even in TIR the performance is way worse than 2.0.x. I have a fairly good system with a Nvida 1080. My other VR sim and even 1.5.6 runs well. I know someone will say "it's Alpha" but really,
even with my brief time over the map I'm not impressed and this is the last DCS module I will invest in.

The_GhostRider

#4359741 - 05/26/17 11:38 PM Re: Normandy Map and assets pack now available [Re: The_GhostRider]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by The_GhostRider
I happened to be off today so I downloaded in installed. What a PIA. Gigs of download only to have the module manager not see the Normandy bits. OK update manually got the terrain then another for the assets. About 3 hours on high-speed connection to download
.Patience wearing thin. Fire it up in VR (Oculus CV1) and it's a freakin stutter fest. Even in TIR the performance is way worse than 2.0.x. I have a fairly good system with a Nvida 1080. My other VR sim and even 1.5.6 runs well. I know someone will say "it's Alpha" but really,
even with my brief time over the map I'm not impressed and this is the last DCS module I will invest in.

The_GhostRider

I had the early access to the Normandy map. I played it once, "stutter fest". I uninstalled. I put it down to the early access build. I'm currently downloading the 4GB terrain manually as, like you and many others, Normandy doesn't show in the multi GB update to DCS 2.1. I'm sadly preparing myself for the worst in regards to performance after what you've just said. What a fiasco.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4359748 - 05/27/17 12:09 AM Re: Normandy Map and assets pack now available [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
But to ask people to pay for content that they cannot even use(drive/shoot etc) is bordering on retarded

And yet people will buy them anyway. After all, if ED goes out of business, what else is there for combat flight simmers to play? Hmmm? There is nothing else on the market for modern jets or even WWII aircraft, so if you don't buy ED, might as well throw your HOTAS away and go play some mobile games.

Originally Posted by The_GhostRider

I think you missed the "Alpha" part of the whole thing there. If you're not happy to test "Alpha" stuff, please only use the "Beta" stuff. Jeez. People should be really thankful and kiss the ED devs and internal testers' behinds that they're allowed to play with Alpha versions of the game, otherwise they'll have to wait until 2030 (+/-15 years) to play the released version. To load up an Alpha build and then complain... entitled much?

Originally Posted by Johnny_Redd
[ I had the early access to the Normandy map. I played it once, "stutter fest". I uninstalled. I put it down to the early access build. I'm currently downloading the 4GB terrain manually as, like you and many others, Normandy doesn't show in the multi GB update to DCS 2.1. I'm sadly preparing myself for the worst in regards to performance after what you've just said. What a fiasco.

Sorry, but the internal testers were too busy testing out Normandy that they forgot a lot of other important things. But again, this is an Alpha build, what did you expect? If you wanted less bugs, go stick to the Beta builds. What's wrong with people these days, really?

As for the stutter fest, clearly you are running an underpowered machine. Please upgrade to the latest-gen CPU, upgrade your GPU out of that 2GB VRAM gutter, and for God's sake, move up to 8GB or 16GB RAM and experience 64-bit OS and programs! DCS is a high-fidelity simulation that is the best in the world and thus requires serious hardware to run. They have designed their graphics and AI from the ground up and naturally, it will put great strain on the CPU and GPU's computing powers.

biggrin biggrin biggrin

- Ice

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.