Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4358169 - 05/19/17 08:10 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Hey folks I have a few more misc. questions. I do use searches of some of my questions but I'm afraid of accidentally reading a spoiler and I know many of you all have helped in the past.

1. Warble of a Smitten Knight - I thought I was supposed to fight some tourney champion(Gregoire de Gorgon)as the last challenge but the lady over seeing the trials made a comment after finishing the team melee that I couldn't quite make out but it had to do with something where the fight with the champion was canceled. I tried finding my question and read on a walk through that you can only fight the last challenge with the champion if you defeat the opposing team during the melee. I did defeat everyone though just barely. All of my team got out by I succeed in finishing off the rest of the opposing team in its entirety. How come they canceled my fight with the last champion guy?

2. Without spoilers can someone just confirm for me that their will be conversations and encounters with friends later on in the game? According to my stats I have 500+hours in game and I'm more or less just starting all of the Toussaint expansion.(I've done a few main quests and a couple of side quests. I assume I have a ways to go. I just only now finished the Warble quest. I ask this because man the game has gotten awfully lonely and empty feeling compared to when first starting The Wild Hunt a couple of years ago. There's nothing more that can be done back in Velen or elsewhere with regards to Dandelion(just repeated conversations). I still have a couple of odd ball side quests I can do in Velen but I've been fairly thorough there. I have even more side quests I haven't done in Skellige. Hearts of Stone introduced the master runesmith guy but I had to grind so much just to be able to fund that guy with the monies he needed which was really obnoxious. Over hours of finding ways to earn money only to end up giving him something like 30,000 crowns when all is said and done, I'm not sure he can do anything truly useful for me and my swords. Not only that but now I'm broke for the most part and even after all of that I still have to pay him multiple of thousands of crowns for upgrades. So I'm kind of put off by all of that so I ignore him for now and just focus on enjoying Blood and Wine. Its just that I've not seen hide nor hair of Triss or Yen or any friends since like 200 hours ago and its just feeling empty all of a sudden. I assume I still have lots to look forward to in Blood and Wine but it would just be nice to know if there is more encounters coming with Geralt's friends? Maybe I took too long getting to the last expansion. I recall seeing bunches of trailers with interactions that I have yet to see even in my 500 hours.

3. Mentioning the master runesmith guy introduced by Hearts of Stone...how did they expect players to be able to make use of him when even during the shorter Hearts of Stone there was no way I had near enough money to get him his best tools? By the time I got to HoS, I probably had 18,000 crowns. You have to pay him something like 5000 and then also go find some materials. By the time I paid him the second installment of 10,000, I was now almost broke. Not only that but the next installment was 15,000 so it took a lot of hours and grinding making money just to get him finally to his best tools. Now that I'm their I'm broke again and all his upgrades and stuff is super expensive though I just gave him a fortune. So now I'm into Blood and Wine and I still am not able to really make use of this guy. Really kind of frustrating. I guess in a couple of years when I go to play the game again, I'll make sure that the complete game is installed so that I can begin at the very least to start working on that HoS quest line while still playing Wild Hunt so that by the time I'm halfway through I can actually make use of his services during the rest of the gameplay.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4358192 - 05/19/17 10:24 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
2. Yes there will be, in fact if you haven't really started the main Toussaint quest you'll be surprised who you get to meet later on.

#4358201 - 05/19/17 11:17 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm planning on replaying Witcher 3 and all of the DLC's later this year. I'm planning on being a very rogue and dark Geralt instead of a Mr. Nice Guy Geralt. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4358227 - 05/19/17 01:50 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Also a question on dyes. I've been looting here and there and discovering different color dyes and dye solution. I realize you can recolor witcher gear in the inventory menu but how do they intend for you to discover this? Just by accident or is there a quest that introduces you to the fact that you can now dye some of your clothes? I checked out the cloths store in the main city proper in Toussaint but that merchant literally had nothing interesting and really pretty much had exactly the type of fancy clothes the elf guy has in his shop outside of Novigrad. Also, will there be any more tourney missions or was that it after the Warble quests?

#4358516 - 05/21/17 04:01 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks fellas for the info. In case anyone is interested, I found a combat mod that I like. I'm not one who usually goes looking for a combat mod as I like the default just fine and truth be told I can't really handle the difficulty of a Souls game. Dragon's Dogma is about my max. I never used a combat mod in Witcher 2 as it was just right for me but I did use one for Witcher 1 which I found quite helpful.

The only thing that has gotten to me a little in Witcher 3 with combat is that way later in the game, in the late 30s early 40s level, humans have become way too easy. I experimented by using the enemy leveling option which helped greatly and basically fixed that problem but it introduced another one. I hunt the deer and rabbit a lot for a food and health source to use while in combat. When you select enemy leveling it also makes every creature including the rabbits and dear your level and its impossible to kill a level 40 rabbit and dear with the crossbow lol. So that was not the best answer unfortunately. I tried also raising just the base game difficulty from Sword and Story to Broken Bones but it didn't really effect the one thing I needed too and that is the humans. I know Geralt is one of the best swordsman in the world but in the way I see it, he is still just one person and fallable and he lives in a world where there exists others who are also accomplished swordsman and experienced peoples. He lives in a world full of bandits(not so much skill but you never know), highwaymen, soldiers, mercenaries, knights, ex-soldiers. So I feel that there should still exist challenging human combat to a degree.

So I finally found something called "Enemy Scaling & Gameplay Overhaul." ESGRO
Witcher 3 Nexus

This has been a major delight and help with my particular preference without fixing one thing only to mess up another aspect of the game. It has upwards of 150 options all selectable in-game from the menu. So with this mod I'm able to focus tweaks just on human enemies if I want but you can all adjust creatures as well. I'm still trying to figure it all out but I've seen a massive improvement just in my one little area of focus. Being surrounded by a half-dozen enemies becomes much more dangerous, because they are near or at your level, your weapons and armor stats are no more over-the-top compared to theirs making you invincible to lesser enemies. Armor that used to suffice no longer does as with a few blows they can take me out. This also forces you to think more strategically and where and how and what signs to use as well as what skill you have slotted.

For example I came across two bandits by a wrecked wagon. It was on a beach so no obstructions and they could see me pretty far off approaching. They go into combat mode. I walk towards them with my sword blocking. One starts using a bow against me which I'm able to dodge his shots. His buddy actually separates and moves off to my left way in the distance. I draw closer to the bowman and his buddy starts to flank me and then move in. Pretty cool! I've not seen behavior like that before really. They also engage you much more aggressively often times not waiting for you to approach but instead they come after you. I hardly ever use it but the skill that allows you to deflect arrows with your sword I actually have to use now if surrounded by multiple foes because usually there are two or three enemies that hang back and just shoot at you with their bows and I can't survive without it. I've also turned off the slo-mo combat feature where if you happen to get many critical hits with in a short span, you end up seeing a ton of finishers in slow mo and it gets to be too much. Its fun seeing it once in a blue moon but I turned that off. Because of that I seem to be seeing more animations than normal or at least ones that maybe I don't get to see when slo-mo critical hits happen and it looks and feels so much more natural when its all in real time and now that there are actually less automatic finishers and you see one enemy get split in half or sliced in real time but its all manual control and you then fluidly moved on to the next.

There's still more to learn that I don't understand fully but I figured I'd pass along this mod. I try not to use mods too much with the Witcher searies because they are such great packages by themselves and I don't like seeing people mod stuff into the games that are silly or inappropriate to this game's setting and cannon. There are a few I've used though in each game that usually just help with a few quirks that are oddball within the game's user interface or even visuals and gameplay mechanics. If anyone is interested in the mods I use for Witcher 3 and are my must haves that just fix some quirks and enhance things that weren't quite polished let me know. I use things like blocking with your sword when you want. It used to be that I used a mod that lets you unsheathe and sheathe your sword manually but CDProjektRed added that option later on. I also use immersive camera which is just outstanding as well as some of that author's other mods such as his mod that makes horse riding controls similar to Red Dead Redemption's if you use a controller like me which is really nice. Let me know and I can make a list.

#4358549 - 05/21/17 12:43 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

I just started this game after having it for some time. The first time I tried it I was put off by the combat so I shelved it but lately I found a mod to help with that so now I can just enjoy the story and the beauty of the game.

Being a 73 year old guy, that has played many combative games in his day, I really wanted to just play the story of Witcher 3. I look at this game like I am watching a great movie or reading a great book. Now when you are watching a great movie you are not required to get up out of your seat and start fighting someone are you. So that is how I view this game.

I also look at it like the great detective game I loved, LA Noire, because in Witcher 3 Geralt must look for clues and the actions for this and his voice overs while doing so are taken right out of that classic detective game.

So you see I am playing the game my way and loving it although I am sure most of you will puff up your chest and proclaim from your mighty keyboard that I am ruining the game and missing the most important aspect,,,important to you that is.

As for the game in general I have never seen or played a more beautiful and detailed game and I am amazed at the graphics and fluidity of the play even at 4k. I do set the fps at 30 for 4k play to keep my 1080ti running cool and, for me, this game is the only action game that I can do that with and still keep it fluid and smooth with everything set to ultra.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4358630 - 05/22/17 01:57 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

If the Witcher series is worth playing for anything its the story and characters and lore. I myself can't handle games like souls games where its impossible to play at least for me. Its not any fun at that point. I got to have story and purpose. Witcher 3's combat is just right for me even at Sword and Story level which many people poo poo. I don't want the story being hindered for me personally because the systems are too difficult for me personally. Those folks can go select the harder difficulty modes made available to them. I do however not like getting to the latter part of the game only to have my character becoming overpowered and inconsistent. There's others in this world who know how to use a sword besides Geralt.

I'm playing L.A. Noir also. Played about half of it on 360 and later got the PC version. I use widescreen fixer which unlocks and allows the game to run at 60 fps. Its beautiful. It is such a great game and every time I play it, man I wish other game developers out there would explore this type of detective game more. I'm still hoping they do a sequel. If so I really hope they expand activities to do between the main campaign to the level of RDR or the other Rockstar open world games. It would be nice to finally have a fully open, very large modeled 1940s-50s L.A. with more activities along with an enhanced detective system and much, much more building and characters that you can interact with and character customization from what kind of clothing he wears to what kind of sidearm he carries. Perhaps they could make your company car like your pack horse where you can work out of the trunk with your different weapons and tools of the detective trade as you roam around trying to solve crimes. Its high time we got another L.A. Noir or something like that.

#4358657 - 05/22/17 09:14 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Warbirds]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Warbirds
I just started this game after having it for some time. The first time I tried it I was put off by the combat so I shelved it but lately I found a mod to help with that so now I can just enjoy the story and the beauty of the game.

Being a 73 year old guy, that has played many combative games in his day, I really wanted to just play the story of Witcher 3. I look at this game like I am watching a great movie or reading a great book. Now when you are watching a great movie you are not required to get up out of your seat and start fighting someone are you. So that is how I view this game.

I also look at it like the great detective game I loved, LA Noire, because in Witcher 3 Geralt must look for clues and the actions for this and his voice overs while doing so are taken right out of that classic detective game.

So you see I am playing the game my way and loving it although I am sure most of you will puff up your chest and proclaim from your mighty keyboard that I am ruining the game and missing the most important aspect,,,important to you that is.

As for the game in general I have never seen or played a more beautiful and detailed game and I am amazed at the graphics and fluidity of the play even at 4k. I do set the fps at 30 for 4k play to keep my 1080ti running cool and, for me, this game is the only action game that I can do that with and still keep it fluid and smooth with everything set to ultra.

That's the sort of thing I'm after too. I've played some of this game, but the combat is the least of it for me.

One thing I absolutely had to do though before I could enjoy it was to lose all the quest markers and arrows etc. It felt to me like the game was just, follow the arrow, do The Thing, follow the arrow again. Also the mini-map with the red dots showing enemies - had to lose that. Now when I need to shortcut though an orchard, I need to look deep into it to see if anything's moving around in there and try to figure out what it is. It really opens up the world for me. It makes me really look at the gameworld instead of the markers & minimaps etc.

Luckily all this can be done right in the options. With Skyrim I had to mod it.

Last edited by DM; 05/22/17 09:14 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4358658 - 05/22/17 09:23 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
^ Yeah W3 definitely also takes a price as far as HUD customization goes.

#4358862 - 05/23/17 07:22 AM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Same here. I play with all HUD elements off. The only thing I have is the dynamic parts that show up that tell you what potion and poison you are under the influence. I like having to refer to my map and then just get familiar with a place and landmarks and where North is to help me get around. I also try to limit fast travel use and go in real time everywhere I go. @Warbirds It is such a detailed and beautiful world. I'm finally at the point of really exploring the city in Toussaint and I'm seeing something new all the time. Such pretty architecture. Trying to walk and ride wherever you go also helps with the immersion. The real world in my peripheral to the right and left of my screen can begin to fade away if I just stay focused on moving about the world in real time and not fast travelling which makes the AI and environment come alive even more. Its great when it all starts to jive and you become trasnported.

#4360067 - 05/29/17 03:59 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Really enjoying this game and have a couple questions:
How do I get the fancy armor? Also is there any mouse smoothing for this game?

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4360098 - 05/29/17 06:36 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, there's lots of armor. Mostly, you'll do it through finding schematics.

But at the start you can get a good set from the vendor in White Orchard, the guy you saved from the griffon at the start of the game, level 4 or so. The non-blacksmith vendor in Crow's Perch has a good set once you level up a bit.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4360101 - 05/29/17 07:09 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Different armours have different resistances, and except for when you are overlevelled (and not taking significant damage), the armour value is of less importance than these resistances.

For this reason there are different armour types which give best results against monsters, elementals and humans.

I found the starting armour to be pretty good until the Nilfgaardian set is available from Crow's Perch, and Griffon Witcher Gear. Griffon has it's uses for most of the game, but I tend to favour Ursine and Undvik (for monster and human resp.) once they become available.

#4360130 - 05/29/17 10:24 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Yeah just explore a lot to find schematics and level up and when Witcher Gear treasure hunt quests show up pursue those. I didn't get some of the really cool stuff until recently. I guess I get side tracked and do lots of exploring and side quests. I'd like to upgrade my Ursine armor but I'm missing one schematic. I just now got the Viper armor which I love. I didn't realize that it existed. I really like the starting Kaer Morhen armor but it never levels up. Then I discovered the Viper armor recently and it looks very similar. I think I'm approaching 600 hours.

#4360206 - 05/30/17 12:53 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I ended up just using the medium Witcher armor outfit most of the time. The variety of armor that can be used is overwhelming.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4360279 - 05/30/17 05:20 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

And swords! I didn't realize just how many sword variants there were going to be in the the game. Coming from Witcher 1 with just a handful of weapons and WItcher 2 with just a few more I've been amazed at how many swords I keep finding. Starting the game a couple of years ago after a dozen swords I thought surely that's about the limit of what they will model and here I am having found probably at least forty or so different kinds. Seems I find a new one every few hours of gameplay.

#4360281 - 05/30/17 05:24 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot
And swords! I didn't realize just how many sword variants there were going to be in the the game. Coming from Witcher 1 with just a handful of weapons and WItcher 2 with just a few more I've been amazed at how many swords I keep finding. Starting the game a couple of years ago after a dozen swords I thought surely that's about the limit of what they will model and here I am having found probably at least forty or so different kinds. Seems I find a new one every few hours of gameplay.

Near the end of the "Blood and Wine" DLC I had a steel and silver sword fully decked out with the maximum number of those rune upgrades you can get from the Middle Eastern-like merchant. I remember that I had over 100k saved up in money and I spent almost all of it on those runes. LOL

#4360318 - 05/30/17 07:11 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Armor bonuses are great, and it's there to protect you after all. But there is a lot to be said about looking cool. Some armor looks awesome and some not so much. Like I won't wear a gambeson even if it's better than my current attire, because it makes Geralt look less than tough. The Nilfgardian armor from Crow's Perch quartermaster is cool. So I tend to use that for a while after I can get it. Roach gets some matching duds too, so it's a win-win biggrin

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4360357 - 05/30/17 11:13 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

The only armour pieces I found a use for in the base game were:

Starting armour chest piece, and whatever gloves/boots/trews I found that had equal resistance (essentially none) and equal or better protection.
Upgraded Starting armour.

Nilfgaardian Armour (Crow's Perch- early for vs human)
Griffon Armour (situational, swapped for Nilf as needed - good vs elementa throughout)
Ursine Armour - for general vs monster use once obtained.
Undvik Armour (for vs human, in the mid-late game)

I didn't like the Wolven look, nor the Cat look/stats, and found the 'compromise' Wolven stats to not be as much to my liking as the single purpose Ursine/Undvik/Griffon worn as appropriate to the situation expected/quest undertaken.

Nilfgaard and Undvik have upgraded equivalents at around 15 levels above their base (from memory) - these are well worth grabbing. Most of the other armours are really not worth the bother of collecting beyond their resale value.

I found that a few gauntlets were useful - for a swordsman build I tended to wander between the Assassin and 'set' gloves, and for boots I found the Elder Boots to be a good general purpose one, but they sometimes looked odd... I'd sometimes switch out the set (e.g. Ursine) boots for one of the other types to get slightly better balanced resistances or glyphsets depending on what high level glyphs I had available to set into equipment and wanted to wear.

There were a few additional viable options in HoS and BaW but I found that this really didn't change my preferences very much. Undvik and Ursine being good balance for most of the game. I opted for the multi-oils armour set in BaW once I had the grandmaster witcher gear (don't recall which one it was off the top of my head, but the in game description should be clear). At this point there was a benefit in using this set for all purposes, especially in conjunction with the resistance boosting alchemy skill (plus poisoning), without substitution of boots/gloves, to get the resistance and damage/poison bonus for up to three oils at once.

#4360795 - 05/31/17 04:04 PM Re: Witcher 3 friends. Need some help. [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

One of my most useful and regularly used setups has been the Verden Archer gambeson(I hear you DBond some of them look to frufru :D), Assassin's trousers, Hunter's gauntlets and Condottiere's boots. For some reason this get up as been consistent throughout my hundreds of hours of gameplay as it has always carried a lot of armor value with it often times even more protection than Witcher gear. I also usually load it up with Yrden glyphs to have sort of a Yrden sign set up. It usually gives me 400+ armor rating. I aslo like the Skellige gamebson ever since one of the latest patches turned it a green color. So I might use that with the New Moon pants and Reaver boots. Nice look all around. Another one of my go to set ups that has one of my larger armor ratings for some reason and I especially use it while in Toussaint's environment is the Ornate Robe and Ornate boots. I'll usually use it with a pair of Toussaint Ducal guard's gauntlets and the Offeiri pants because they look kind of like they fit with the whole ensemble biggrin. Plus I love all the twirly bits that use cloth physics.

I really, really like though the Viper, Kaer Morhen, Ursine and Griffin sets. I recently upgraded to enhanced Griffin and it looks enough like a Knight's armor to look cool for a guy like me who loves knights without looking too gaudy or overbearing. Upgraded Cat kind of has a knight's quality to it too. Wolven is okay especially in the more temperate areas I h biggrin I haven't found the Bear armor yet but it looks cool too. I'm in Skellige now again before I head back to Toussaint to continue that campaign. Can someone tell me if there is anymore interaction with the Tourney? I fought through the different rounds and even though I survived, it did not let me fight the Challenger for some reason. I was hoping there'd be more Tourney stuff to do.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.