Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4358610 - 05/21/17 09:57 PM Off Track  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

No survival message for SSnake. I recognize he resides in Deutschland mit seinem pils (usw)................nicht auf California

Help! oder Hilfe!

I recently moved. As I finished unpacking I went pack to my computer to enjoy simulations. My first choice was "Steel Beasts" which I have upgraded to 19. In the move I lost my "Steel Beasts" original cassette case, CD and USB dongle. To run my setup, I need the dongle. How do I acquire a replacement? What other product features are needed, such as a new game CD, reinstallation.....?

Help! Guidance needed so I may return to my "Beast".

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4358614 - 05/21/17 10:12 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
Be ready to pay full price. I was told in no uncertain terms esims will not replace a lost dongle. You are not to be trusted, apparently.

#4358619 - 05/21/17 10:49 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I see you're still here trolling the forums, eh, RyanE? 5555, read his colorful story here and make your mind up for yourself and see how SSnake has handled the situation and how RyanE spat out his dummy and started a tantrum. It's even more funny on the other website he mentions. I do wonder if it's true that RyanE **STILL** ended up buying a dongle despite his experience. Oh, the life of a troll....

5555, I suggest you contact SSnake directly for you to get a better picture of your options. Good luck!

- Ice
#4358654 - 05/22/17 08:00 AM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I have been out of the office for a while, but am back now, and ready to answer incoming support emails (well... after I'm done with other computery stuff).

The fundamental problem with lost or stolen CM sticks is that such claims, no matter how credible they may sound, cannot be verified until the item gets spotted again (at which point it is no longer "lost", by definition). Stolen CM sticks, I can blacklist. Once that a blacklisted CM stick is reported as locked, I'll be happy to facilitate a replacement (for a fee that covers the material costs, shipping, and handling). Unfortunately the chances of a stolen CM stick actually being found through the blacklist are above, but close to zero, as a chain of rather unlikely events must take place:
1) the thief must want the CM stick for what it is, a software license repository; if he thinks that it is a thumb drive he'll be disappointed and will probably simply throw it away
2) the thief must be smart enough to recognize the CM stick, install the CM runtime software, check the licenses, and be interested in using the licenses
3) the thief must be smart enough to use a CM stick, but sufficiently stupid not to realize that the stick might be blacklisted; IOW, to use the stick while being connected to the internet

The vastly more likely outcome is that a stick that is lost will remain lost for any time period of practical relevance.

Now, often enough sticks that were reported to us as "lost" eventually were found after all. So there's still a chance - I hope - that the stick will turn up after all. eSim offers a four-month time-based license as a grace period to find the stick. We can, if you wish, also blacklist the stick (see above). After these four months however a decision must be made,
  • find a used CM stick on eBay with an old Steel Beasts license, and then simply apply an upgrade
  • Switch over to time-based licenses
  • Buy new
  • None of the above

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4358655 - 05/22/17 08:07 AM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Other than the CM stick, no special requirements need to be considered. The software is available for download, the printed manual, while nice, is a non-essential item (and currently out of print, anyways).

#4358659 - 05/22/17 09:54 AM Re: Off Track [Re: RyanE]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted by RyanE
Be ready to pay full price. I was told in no uncertain terms esims will not replace a lost dongle. You are not to be trusted, apparently.

If you lost your car keys you wouldn't blame the dealer for it. Quit trolling the forums with your issue, you lost it, it's your own fault.

#4358661 - 05/22/17 10:04 AM Re: Off Track [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
crusty Offline
crusty  Offline

Whitstable, Kent, UK
Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow

If you lost your car keys you wouldn't blame the dealer for it. Quit trolling the forums with your issue, you lost it, it's your own fault.

That's exactly the same comparison I was thinking this morning.

Regards
Crusty
UK ARMOUR (SB)
#4358664 - 05/22/17 10:28 AM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
I have lost my car keys...twice. The first time I went to the dealer and paid $45. Didn't have to buy a new car. The second time, because I had roadside assistance, they brought a key to me for free. Didn't have to buy a new car. So tell me how that is a good comparison.

Did I not speak the truth? If I am reading this correctly, Ssnake is telling him the same thing. If he doesn't find his dongle, he will have to pay full price. How is that trolling. Head over the groghead forums to see how it was handled. I had to drop another $125. The only reason it was lower than normal is I found someone willing to sell a used version. The entire transaction is there for all to see.

#4358667 - 05/22/17 10:57 AM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Ryan, since you can't seem to let go of the topic, here's eSim's position for everybody to see:

YOUR AIRLINE lost the CM stick. That wasn't your fault, but neither was it eSim's.
YOUR AIRLINE refused to offer full compensation for your loss, in violation of, as far as I am informed, IATA regulations about lost baggage claims.
Your company, which sent you on your business trip, did also not provide adequate support - both in dealing with the airline and in the way how they handle losses during business trips.

I cannot help you with your employer. I cannot help you with your airline. I fully understand your frustration but at the same time I am at a loss to see what eSim's responsibility in all this is. You purchased our software, for which I am grateful, and we delivered everything that you ordered in working condition. At that point the transaction is over.
If your home was burglarized and software was stolen, it is not the software vendor's responsibility to provide replacement. It is nobody's responsibility BUT the burglar's.

You are harping about how eSim Games failed to compensate for mistakes that others made. While I understand the disappointment, I must say that not only are you barking up the wrong tree, you have also been extremely confrontative from the start and chose to resort to applying public pressure on the weakest party in the whole affair - just so you would have things your way. Maybe you are doing the same to the airline that failed to compensate adequately; I'm not following your internet activities. Even then I wonder what motive other than revenge is your guideline at this point to keep pressing an issue that simply will not be resolved in the way that you want it. Your expectations are unrealistic, and you attribute responsibility for mistakes that others made to eSim Games rather than taking your beef to them. You already made a public statement that your sole goal in this matter at this point is to hurt eSim's business. Fair enough, everybody needs a hobby. But at the same time it is pretty clear to every reader what your motives are.

You are a victim of your airline - their baggage handling, and their inadequate way of handling lost baggage claims. That victim status however does not grant you special privileges when dealing with third parties, in particular to resort to extortion tactics just because a small software vendor is more vulnerable to negative campaigning than a big airline, or your employer - whom you won't attack for understandable reasons.

#4358690 - 05/22/17 01:16 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
So tell me in my first post on this thread where I said anything untrue. And your buddies are the one who brought up the car analogy. btw, Volvo didn't lose my keys, I did. But because they are a customer service-oriented company, they agreed to replace my key for a small fee. I don't blame Volvo for losing my key. You keep bringing up that I blame you for losing my dongle. You don't read very well. I have stated multiple times that I don't blame you for losing my dongle. That seems to be your strawman argument default. I would like anyone on the entire interweb to point to one post where I even hinted that it was esims fault I lost my dongle.

btw, you were supposed to contact me after three months...been five months now. Still waiting. So just to make sure because you seem confused. Esims didn't lose my dongle. I don't blame esims for losing my dongle. I asked if I could buy a replacement dongle. Was told it was not esims's policy to replace lost dongles. After three months and no contact from esims, I went out and bought a used one from someone who doesn't play. Had to upgrade from 3.X to 4.X. Total cost was $125. As this OP is about to find out, the cost of a replacement dongle is full game price.

edit...just checked and the final cost of replacement was $105, not $125.

Last edited by RyanE; 05/22/17 01:21 PM.
#4358714 - 05/22/17 03:12 PM Re: Off Track [Re: RyanE]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

RyanE.
Take the hint.

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU?t=70

#4358720 - 05/22/17 03:33 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
I would like to think that a fellow player would like to know what the result was from someone in the exact same situation. I have a new dongle, still play, and moved on. I provided a simple piece of information with a little opinion. It took me all of 15 sec. Then a couple knuckleheads come in with almost no information and decide to get involved with a very poor metaphor. And esims seems to always post that I blame them for the lost dongle. I won't let misinformation about me or my motives stand. Other than that, I have moved on.

If esims wants to kick this dust up again, I am more than happy to continue. All esims needed to do was tall the customer that with out physical proof, they are assuming someone will take the lost dongle and reuse it. But, again, they tried to paint me as blaming them for a lost dongle.

#4358725 - 05/22/17 04:16 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Your post where pretty clear at the time? No you say it all didn't happen? Oh dear...

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4358746 - 05/22/17 06:39 PM Re: Off Track [Re: RyanE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Other than that, I have moved on.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! Really?? Then why are you still here posting the same BS? Hahahahahaha... oh, the hypocrisy!! Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess...

I will agree that the car analogy is rather poor --- for one thing, their profit margins are MUCH BIGGER and so a couple of key replacements is just a drop in the ocean. How much is a few hundred £££ for a car key on a car that has a list price of £25,000 and higher? Compare that to a bit of software costing $125 with a dongle included...

I was looking around for a new car recently and for a car that cost around £34,000, the dealer mentioned a spare key would cost around £200. That's 0.59% of the cost of the car. If we applied roughly the same numbers to eSim/Steel Beasts, the dongle should cost $0.73. If we apply your numbers, say £34,000 for a Volvo (I suspect your car costs much more!) and $45/£35 for a key, that's 0.1% the cost of the car... convert that to the eSim scenario, the dongle should cost $0.125. I doubt eSim enjoys the same profit margins as Volvo.

If esims wants to kick this dust up again, I am more than happy to continue.

No mate, you were the one that piped up here on the thread first. Be a man for once, show some balls, and own up to your actions.

All esims needed to do was tall the customer that with out physical proof, they are assuming someone will take the lost dongle and reuse it. But, again, they tried to paint me as blaming them for a lost dongle.

You apparently cannot read.... or have kindergarten-level comprehension skills. Nowhere did eSim/Ssnake blame you for losing the dongle. However, you wanted eSim to "take care of you" despite your situation being caused by other party's negligence. Don't delude yourself into thinking you're in the right just because you posted a partially-true story in the other forums and got other people to agree with you. If they knew the whole story, they'd be singing a different tune, mate.

- Ice
#4358747 - 05/22/17 06:41 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
For one thing I am not sure what that last post even means.

So let's go back to the car keys example which you guys on this forum seem to like. How many have ever had to have car keys replaced? Did the car company tell you that you had to buy a new car? Don't get all mad at that example. Its the one people here seem to like a lot.

Again, my first post on this thread was just telling the guy he will have to buy a whole new game. Is that correct? Am I wrong? Please tell me where that conflicts with what esims policy is?

#4358760 - 05/22/17 07:20 PM Re: Off Track [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

For one thing I am not sure what that last post even means.

Originally Posted by - Ice
You apparently cannot read.... or have kindergarten-level comprehension skills.

So let's go back to the car keys example which you guys on this forum seem to like. How many have ever had to have car keys replaced? Did the car company tell you that you had to buy a new car? Don't get all mad at that example. Its the one people here seem to like a lot.

It comes up once and all of a sudden "this forum seems to like it"? Apparently, YOU don't read very well either. Tell us how much your Volvo costs then? And how much have you paid for your roadside assistance cover?
As for your "customer service-oriented company," how far up the chain was the person who dealt with you? I doubt it was as high up as Ssnake is... it'll be like the the Executive VP of Customer Relations directly dealing with your claim.

Again, my first post on this thread was just telling the guy he will have to buy a whole new game. Is that correct? Am I wrong? Please tell me where that conflicts with what esims policy is?

You are wrong. There. Plain and simple. I do hope you get the message this time. In case you haven't yet, here it is again --- you are wrong.

- Ice
#4358763 - 05/22/17 07:42 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
"Be ready to pay full price. I was told in no uncertain terms esims will not replace a lost dongle. You are not to be trusted, apparently."

my first post on the thread. Not only did someone post the car example, someone reinforced it.

Please show me where I am wrong on the first post. Did Ssnake not immediately validate what I said. Unless I missed that they will replace lost dongles.

btw, I said the first time I paid $45 for a lost key. Maybe you missed it. I actually didn't pay for the first three years of roadside outright. It was part of the lease agreement.

And this was the post I was referring to. "Your post where pretty clear at the time? No you say it all didn't happen? Oh dear..." I didn't remember saying "no" to anything.

Last edited by RyanE; 05/22/17 07:42 PM.
#4358770 - 05/22/17 08:00 PM Re: Off Track [Re: RyanE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Please show me where I am wrong on the first post. Did Ssnake not immediately validate what I said. Unless I missed that they will replace lost dongles.

While **YOU** may have had to pay full price, it does not mean the original poster has to as well. While **YOU** may have been told in no uncertain terms, it does not mean that the situation is the same for the original poster.

I really don't have the time, patience, or crayons to draw you a picture here. If you still miss the point, maybe you need to wait a few years and grow up more.

btw, I said the first time I paid $45 for a lost key. Maybe you missed it. I actually didn't pay for the first three years of roadside outright. It was part of the lease agreement.

I asked you how much was your Volvo? Maybe YOU missed it. I didn't miss your $45 example as I used in on my previous post. Maybe YOU missed that one as well.
So, Mr. Smartypants... what's the retail price of your Volvo? How much are you paying for it monthly?
Try not to miss answering the questions this time. smile

And this was the post I was referring to. "Your post where pretty clear at the time? No you say it all didn't happen? Oh dear..." I didn't remember saying "no" to anything.

Might be useful to quote the message you're replying to then. Or do I have to explain to you how forums work as well?

- Ice
#4358771 - 05/22/17 08:02 PM Re: Off Track [Re: - Ice]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
play nice now guys ......

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4358772 - 05/22/17 08:08 PM Re: Off Track [Re: 5555]  
RyanE Offline
RyanE  Offline

Maine
But he did have to pay full price. Ssnake was very clear to the OP and myself that there is no dongle replacement beyond buying a new game. Again, was I wrong?

I said the last post I thought. I thought you could figure that out...my mistake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.