Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4358369 - 05/20/17 05:35 AM Newest addition to our family  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Saw the guy at the getting place and just had to bring him home with me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4358373 - 05/20/17 07:46 AM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Tazz Offline
Tazz  Offline

Wellington, NZ
Nice one! Though I would blank out that serial number before posting it online though!

#4358380 - 05/20/17 11:00 AM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Nice, and ya what Tazz said... I love em when their in there natural form... not with all these damn accessories, sights, grips, and lights... unless you really need those. Iron sights are for real men! wink

#4358401 - 05/20/17 02:01 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Put me down as one who prefers them clean and simple. Hate to see them looking like a Christmas tree.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4358417 - 05/20/17 03:16 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Tazz]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Now comes the part where I remember that there is no such thing as a free dog or an inexpensive rife. Keepshooting has some nice GI mags for reasonable, so I'll grab some there, and then go ammo shopping.

Weird, I have never purchased M16 ammo directly; it's always been through my tax contribution.

Originally Posted by Tazz
Nice one! Though I would blank out that serial number before posting it online though!

Based on your advice, I did that, but why?

I mean, I'd hate it if someone took out a credit card in my rifle's name, but clearly that's not what you're getting at.

Last edited by Dart; 05/20/17 03:25 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4358466 - 05/20/17 07:09 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Well, in my opinion, it's not that big a deal. Really the most someone could do, and it would be obvious, and they'd end up prosecuted, is to report serial number x stolen, etc.

I mean, in my retirement job I've been doing firearm law and even self defense cases, though so far I've not had a self defense shooting trial thank goodness.... Massad Ayoob is a business acquaintance of mine. I don't think there's much harm in the serial number in a photo.

As an aside, I do these "what to do if you're involved in a self defense shooting" seminars. If you haven't been to a good one, done by a lawyer and some folks like Ayoob, you should go!

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4358468 - 05/20/17 07:12 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
To show I believe what I say:

Attached Files IMG_0457.JPG

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4358514 - 05/21/17 03:30 AM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The cool thing is that the wife was early for an appointment (#3 for the morning) and we had about 45 minutes to kill. There being a very nice gun shop across the street that has a "museum" of sorts with uniforms, weapons, a static display with a Jeep, etc., we decided to go in.

Now, then, my wife is an old school Southern farm girl, so shotguns and "normal" rifles don't make her bat an eye. She gives me odd looks when she sees they're selling .50 cal bolt action money spenders or what she calls "Army rifles."

Anyhow, here's this AR15A2, pretty much the same rifle I carried in the Army (less the "burst" mode, which I never used), with a carrying handle, iron sights, a honest to goodness stock, and I give it the once over. I check the price tag and squint a little. The price is dead center of the market, and she probably belongs a bit higher than that after I look at a few things.

I put it back in the rack and we go to her appointment and then home.

She walks downstairs after about fifteen minutes and, with an earnest expression says,

"You really liked that rifle, didn't you?"
"Yes, ma'am, I did."
"It was like the two of you were shaking hands when you picked it up, like old friends meeting."
"Huh," I replied, not sure of what she was saying, but liking the direction of this conversation.
"It was like a little dance when you pulled that thing back and looked into it, and your eyes smiled when you did something to make it go clack and put it to your shoulder."
"Yeah, I loved the M16A2."
"We have the money. Pick three holidays it will cover and go get it."

It was on consignment, so no dickering over the price, which was fine.

I have the best wife ever.

From Laser:
#4358518 - 05/21/17 04:26 AM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Awesome Dart! I built an AR-15A2 a few years ago, and I love it!. I remember my military training on how to zero the sights and how many clicks I preferred while iron sight qualifying, and mine shot dead nuts at 50 and 100 yards just like the M-16A2 I trained on. No further adjustments were needed. smile

I will build an AR-15 (M-4) with a red dot sight and pistol stock grip like I trained on a couple of years ago because those are fun too, but I still dig the old A2 version,

As far as magazines, I have two 20 rnd and two 30 rnd PMAGs with dust covers that I like.

Oh, and my next build will be 5.56 instead of .223 like my current rifle. You can shoot .223 through a 5.56 but not the other way around. Sometimes one or the other is cheaper to buy. wink

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4358521 - 05/21/17 04:46 AM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, hell, I figured 5.56 ball would work fine in it. Guess I better do my research.*

Keepshooting has some aluminum GI spec mags with good reviews I'm going to buy. Good thing I kept my LBE, complete with ammo pouches...loose magazines aren't such a good thing.

* Is the edit, as I've done the research. Colt has been making rifles for the government for far too long. While the lower receiver is marked .223, the barrel is marked "5.56 NATO," so I'm okay to shoot MILSURP 5.56. I guess they wanted to put Imperial measurements on the receiver because 'Murica, and then the actual caliber and type of ammo it's chambered for on the barrel.

Okay, since I'm editing, time for a funny gun store story. I actually saw two guys argue over which is a better caliber, .308 or 7.62. They weren't talking grain size of the bullet itself or the cartridge, just size of caliber.

"Just let it go," the guy behind the counter sighed, "just let it go," when he saw I was about to interject. smile

Last edited by Dart; 05/21/17 05:06 AM.

From Laser:
#4358525 - 05/21/17 06:18 AM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
I think mine is the other way around. I think my barrel was .223. I asked the company about shooting 5.56 through it and they gave me a vague answer about only shooting .223 through it since that's how it's advertised. I'm a little nervous to try it so I've just been shooting .223. wink

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4358547 - 05/21/17 12:39 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted by Dart
The cool thing is that the wife was early for an appointment (#3 for the morning) and we had about 45 minutes to kill. There being a very nice gun shop across the street that has a "museum" of sorts with uniforms, weapons, a static display with a Jeep, etc., we decided to go in.

Now, then, my wife is an old school Southern farm girl, so shotguns and "normal" rifles don't make her bat an eye. She gives me odd looks when she sees they're selling .50 cal bolt action money spenders or what she calls "Army rifles."

Anyhow, here's this AR15A2, pretty much the same rifle I carried in the Army (less the "burst" mode, which I never used), with a carrying handle, iron sights, a honest to goodness stock, and I give it the once over. I check the price tag and squint a little. The price is dead center of the market, and she probably belongs a bit higher than that after I look at a few things.

I put it back in the rack and we go to her appointment and then home.

She walks downstairs after about fifteen minutes and, with an earnest expression says,

"You really liked that rifle, didn't you?"
"Yes, ma'am, I did."
"It was like the two of you were shaking hands when you picked it up, like old friends meeting."
"Huh," I replied, not sure of what she was saying, but liking the direction of this conversation.
"It was like a little dance when you pulled that thing back and looked into it, and your eyes smiled when you did something to make it go clack and put it to your shoulder."
"Yeah, I loved the M16A2."

It was on consignment, so no dickering over the price, which was fine.

That's awesome. Thanks for that story!

#4358673 - 05/22/17 12:11 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Tazz Offline
Tazz  Offline

Wellington, NZ

Based on your advice, I did that, but why?

I mean, I'd hate it if someone took out a credit card in my rifle's name, but clearly that's not what you're getting at.

Realistically, there's no real danger of your personal details being linked to the weapon's serial number, unless your dealer went out of business recently. I believe only then the records will get turned over to the ATF.

However, I would still recommend caution in publishing any serial numbers online, in particular of things like guns or even expensive electronic equipment. You really never know what someone can do with that information - maybe not to you but having a valid serial number of something, like your AR-15, may be a useful tool in a social engineering scheme.

As someone who works in information intelligence, I am still amazed how different pieces of random information found online can be put to use for fraudulent activities elsewhere.

Just be careful, that's all smile

#4358678 - 05/22/17 12:35 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.

Seems so, but I didn't get the part about the three holidays... sounds like another secret to happy marriage? wink

Shame really that our gun laws here are so complicated. That thing looks wonderful.

#4358680 - 05/22/17 12:51 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
My AR-15 was advertised as being able to shoot both 5.56mm and .223. It's a Bushmaster, I got it with optics for $685 out the door, couldn't pass that up. On the magwell it does say "Cal: Var" but I haven't been brave enough to shoot .223 through it yet, though I'd like to since it will save me some $ on rounds. What do you think? Maybe I'm fine just second guessing myself...

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4358700 - 05/22/17 01:43 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Dart, is that a 20" barrel?

Ahh, Bones, if you are shooting 5.56 now, then you are good to go for the .223!
The .223 is a hair-smaller, and less pressure. It fits fine in a chamber that is meant for 5.56
Not true the other way around. Dart could shoot the 5.56 but it also could fail spectacularly on him because the bolt won't seat all the way.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4358708 - 05/22/17 02:47 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
The caliber stamped on the receiver can fool you. Look at what is on the barrel. The important factors for caliber are all part of the barrel, nothing to do with the receiver. The barrel clambering is the only important factor.

Bill is right Bones. If you are shooting 5.56 going to 223 is no worry.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4358713 - 05/22/17 03:01 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Bill, it's the "full scale" barrel, just like on the M16A2, so I guess it's the 20" one. smile

The "pick three holidays" refers to presents - this is my birthday, Armed Forces Day, and Flag Day present. Not that I ever want anything on holidays for presents other than a few shots of whisky and to successfully chase the wife around the house, resulting in a catch.

Old School flashback - I did a functions check on the rifle and laughed at myself. No need to go further than checking the semi-automatic one. It failed the "burst" mode one, for obvious reasons.

My son has a bunch of stuff this week I have to drive him to, so it might not be until this weekend I can carry it to the range. Normally he goes with me to the range, but this time I think it'll be just me, as I'll be going through the "two clicks left, one click up" routine.

Hmmm, I still remember my old zero. I wonder if it will still apply, or if the years have changed my sight picture.

From Laser:
#4359026 - 05/23/17 06:52 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Bought a couple of boxes of XM193 "Ball" ammo at my local gun shop and ordered more online, as it seems around here the options are A) 20 round boxes or B) 5,000 round crates.

Since "green tip" is just past my time in the Army, I did some digging to see what the big deal is. Sigh. Turns out that the Army moved away from the standard ball ammo I grew up with to the steel tipped M855 owing to the shorter barrels of the M4's more than anything else; they needed a heavier round that spin nicely to stay up.

Ballistically they're the same at the distances I'll be shooting, and since I've got the long barrel I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Plus I'm not out to win a shooting competition. Straying into the nine ring on a silhouette target is okay by me - a hit is a hit. Couple my old guy eyes and iron sights and it's all about center mass, baby.*

smile

I'm always uncomfortable buying ammo online, but I found some XM193 at a decent price that is on stripper clips with a speed loader attachment (old school GI stick-it-on-the-back-of-the-mag kind), in an ammo can. 420 rounds. That made me chuckle, as 210 rounds was the "standard" carry amount for an Infantryman back in the day (seven 30 round magazines).

I'll probably buy bulk next time, and won't be afraid of green tip. Just depends on price, and I'll have stripper clips.

For OG and other folks that like to study firearms for academic purposes, my barrel is a 1:7 twist, so going to the heavier 62 grain bullet of the green tip would actually be slightly better than the 55 grain ball I bought.

* I rarely shoot past 250 meters, going after 300 meter targets when I'm feeling a bit froggy. I admire the long distance guys, but I'm more ground troop than sniper. I'm okay with shooting between breaths but not heart beats.

From Laser:
#4359057 - 05/23/17 08:58 PM Re: Newest addition to our family [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
That all sounds perfectly logical to me Dart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.