Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4357433 - 05/15/17 12:52 PM Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home?  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
I just bought a charcoal grill and smoke unit, a cheap brinkmann model but it seems like it ought to do the job well enough.

Curious for everyone's recipes, techniques, etc. for cooking meat or other things.

I have read a few books on smoking cheese and even salt, I think I'm going to try it out.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4357442 - 05/15/17 01:38 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
finlander Offline
finlander  Offline

Oulu town, USA
I have a Brinkman smoker. It works OK. The trick you need to learn is getting a stable temperature (probably ~230 *) and keeping it there. It will take you a few tries to get it, use more fuel than you think you need. I expose the meat to smoke for an hour and a half or so and then cover it. Get yourself some wood chunks. Apple is good all around. Mesquite is good for chickens. You can watch some youtube videos to get ideas. I did brisquite, chickens, turkeys. Fish is good if you're a fisherman, trout is best for smoking.

#4357443 - 05/15/17 01:40 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
We do here in Germany, but i am really just a beginner. Bought a grill with a lid to shut (Weber 57 centimeters), so you can do indirect grilling and barbecue.

One of my favourites are those "Moink" balls (from "moo" and "oink" wink ). You get grinded beef, and add a bought or self-made rub (e.g. "magic rub") to it. You mix it with the rub, then inject a bit of Jack D. or other whiskey, and then mix it again. You can then create fist-sized portions, and then roll slices of bacon around it crosswise. Then you put it in the fridge for the night.
Next day you grill it directly for two minutes, then put it aside from the direct flame, and add a bit of BBQ sauce with a brush. It will then caramelize and be ready in 5-10 minutes.
Advantage is you do not need to stand beside the grill all the time, which is of course true for all kind of indirect grilling, or smoking.

There are some great recipes, also for hamburgers.. real good beef like rib-eye can also easily be made, direct grilling two minutes each side, then lay it aside and let it grill indirectly for three to seven minutes, depending on how raw or well done you want to have it.
It is all much fun and tastes great!

#4357444 - 05/15/17 01:42 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: Catfish]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Catfish
We do here in Germany, but i am really just a beginner.

Out of curiosity, where does Germany import most of its beef from? If I'm not mistaken, there really isn't much domestic cattle raising in Germany.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4357445 - 05/15/17 01:48 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Out of curiosity, where does Germany import most of its beef from? If I'm not mistaken, there really isn't much domestic cattle raising in Germany.

Huh, we have a lot of cattle here, all kinds of. You can of course buy imported meat (though e.g. Kobe cattle is wayyy to expansive and overhyped i think). Germany has "produced" 8,25 Million tons of meat in 2016. A lot of certain cattle like Wisent and Angus, and so called "Heckrind" (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckrind) is currently at a peak, and easy to get.

#4357446 - 05/15/17 01:51 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
And then it starts..,.
First you get the brinkman.
Then you buy a Weber Smokey Mountain.
Then maybe a horizontal Smoker, or a Drum Barrel Smoker.
Then you are lusting after the Komando Grills....
Next something on a trailer....

Aim your browser at
www.amazingribs.com
This is Grill School. You can learn everything here.
Meathead has a book out and it is the fastest way to learn all the good stuff.
I went from a moron with no clue to a guy that people want me to grill for them.

Rule 1 you will learn is get a good instant read thermometer.
The thermometer on the grills are crap and will ruin your meat because they are usually far off.

www.thermoworks.com has a sale today for 15% off.
You want their Smoke dual thermometer. $100
You put one probe on grill and one in your roast.
Fantastic and no guessing.

Start with a pork shoulder.
Easy to do hard to screw up.
Long cook ant least 8 hours.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4357448 - 05/15/17 01:53 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: Catfish]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Huh, we have a lot of cattle here, all kinds of. You can of course buy imported meat (though e.g. Kobe cattle is wayyy to expansive and overhyped i think). Germany has "produced" 8,25 Million tons of meat in 2016. A lot of certain cattle like Wisent and Angus, and so called "Heckrind" (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckrind) is currently at a peak, and easy to get.

Thanks for that info Catfish. I see I was greatly mistaken. smile

Whenever I finally visit Germany I'll be sure to try a steak on my first day there. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4357449 - 05/15/17 01:55 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
finlander Offline
finlander  Offline

Oulu town, USA
Bill, you are correct. I have several grills and now I want one of those Texas style barrel grills....

#4357450 - 05/15/17 02:06 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

[...]Whenever I finally visit Germany I'll be sure to try a steak on my first day there. biggrin

You are welcome! Just do not eat at those pesky "Autobahn" rest stops, mostly expensive and not worth the money at all. If you're near Hannover let me know.

Longbow certainly hit a nerve here biggrin
I foresee hundreds of answers, just for today lol

#4357452 - 05/15/17 02:10 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: Catfish]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Longbow certainly hit a nerve here biggrin
I foresee hundreds of answers, just for today lol

I've never met a guy who didn't like a good steak or ribs so I think you are right!

#4357455 - 05/15/17 02:25 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
A great book to own as a go-to for how and why is this

https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Guide-Grilling-Barbecue/dp/0936184868

In this book they do a fantastic job on telling you how and why to grill xxx that way.
They setup 10 charcoal and gas grills and try every recipe differently.
The explaination on grilled chicken wings is about 4 pages!

The thing to learn here is to brine the meat to make it most and juicy.
Brining the chicken wings makes a huge difference.

This book covers all the meats, sides and rubs/sauces.
Between Meathead and this book you don't need anything else.
Also the forum on Amazing Ribs is worth joining. Very helpful and you can ask anything.

~Bill

#4357456 - 05/15/17 02:26 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France

Thanks for that info Catfish. I see I was greatly mistaken. smile

Whenever I finally visit Germany I'll be sure to try a steak on my first day there. biggrin

You'll have more easily pork and sausages (delicious by the way ) and of course a Helles or a Weisse "dazu".

Last edited by kaa; 05/15/17 02:27 PM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4357457 - 05/15/17 02:39 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Fuel:
Briquettes are very important to the cooling.
Using crap gets you crap.
Never buy the 'match light" fuel soaked crap.
Might as well spray your food with light fluid. Speaking of, never use that either!
Don't need it you are doing it wrong if you do.
Get a 'Charcoal Chimney' makes it easy peasy.
The trick for longer cooks is to put half a load in the chimney, get it to hot coals, pour those in your grill, then put in the other half in unlit coals. This will burn slow and consistent.

The brand makes a difference.
Their are two types. Charcoal and Lump Coal (wood)
Charcoal briquettes are typically made from pressed sawdust
Lump coal is actual chunks of wood
They can burn totally different. I love to use the lump coal for the flavor and it tends to burn really hot but fast
I have found that the Kingsford Professional briquettes are the best
They are real wood and burn long.

~Bill

#4357458 - 05/15/17 02:39 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
We do here in Germany, but i am really just a beginner.

What do think happens with the old dairy cows? stirthepot

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4357460 - 05/15/17 02:50 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
We use two large terra cota pots (one right side up and one upside down on top of the other), a hot plate, a metal container for the wood and a thermometer to put in the pot on the top for temperature monitoring. We live beside an apple orchard so apple wood is usually there for the taking when they trim or cut the trees. We smoke pork butts in the Fall mostly.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4357461 - 05/15/17 02:57 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks Bill. Due to reading this thread I now feel famished and I still have another hour until I can eat lunch. biggrin

#4357508 - 05/15/17 06:31 PM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
I do both. However, i fully admit that I take the easy way out on smoking. My masterbuilt electric smoker makes it really easy to temperature control. Hell I can even control it with my remote without having to step outside.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4357559 - 05/16/17 01:04 AM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant

Might as well spray your food with light fluid. Speaking of, never use that either!

I've cleared that myth up with a lot of people over the past 30 years (but yeah I usually prefer a chimney starter for convenience/time).

The trick is:

1. Don't hit ALL the coals with it.
2. Let it SOAK into the coals for a couple minutes.
3. Don't cook until the coals are WHITE (yep, a few BTU's of heat are ultimately "wasted").
4. Know your coals, BBQ, wind, layout, etc so you are NOT EVER having to add additional lighter fluid.

You'll never taste it.

#4357576 - 05/16/17 03:16 AM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
On Germany and beef:

Yes, they have beef. Good beef. Schwartzwald beef is the best.

No, you can't get an honest steak there for some reason. The mysteries of a big thick ribeye or t-bone continues to elude them.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4357579 - 05/16/17 03:42 AM Re: Who grills & smokes meat & other stuff at home? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
bigbird Offline
bigbird  Offline

Parrish, Florida
I love to run my smoker on the weekends. I started with a Brinkman too! Now I have a Smokin' It Model 1 that I love. Electric with a metal box where you add just a small chunk of the wood of your choice at the start. I'm talking about a small 2"x3" chunk is all you need! I put a pork butt on at 9pm and let it go all night at 230 degrees. Once it is up to pulling temp (about 12 hours later when it comes apart easy), which I check via remote thermometer, I pull it out and wrap in foil, then into a cooler wrapped in towels to rest until it's time to shred and eat. Heaven!

Check out this great website for ideas on what and how to smoke: Smokingmeatforums

Smokin' It website: Smokin It

"Go for the eyes. The eyes are the groin of the head." - Dwight Schrute 2007
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.