Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4357840 - 05/17/17 01:28 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England
Originally Posted by DBond

For whatever reason level CCRP drops seem to work for me with JDAMs, but if I have slicks loaded I have trouble. Is it possible to consent to release too early?

Are you holding through the second release cue? The first one is for lofting.

How long are you holding pickle?

There used to be a bug (it may still exist) that if you starting holding release too early the bombs don't release. I tend to wait until the release countdown gets to 2 or 3 seconds and then hold pickle.

I guess it works for JDAMs as you only need to pickle when within the weapons delivery zone for them to release, whereas a dumb bomb needs to be released at a specific point in time in order to hit it's target.

This page (88) from the Training manual may be useful smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wildcat; 05/17/17 01:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4357853 - 05/17/17 02:31 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Speaking of the 'Vipers in the Storm' CCIP attack.... when I wrote about this a week or two back I wasn't quite accurate. So a little more about it, with some corrected info.

The main error I wrote was that as the loft cue appeared he would roll inverted. That's incorrect. I both re-read the book and tried it myself. Depending on speed and altitude, that will occur around 8-9 miles. Too far. DME 5 miles will be much better, to put your jet in a steeper dive closer to the target. So either use DME as the cue, or the CCRP level release cue, which will be much closer to the correct distance from the target.

Speed and altitude, as well as the angle you desire on the dive, will all play a part. I tend to use 30 degrees. The steeper the dive, the more slowly the CCIP pipper tracks and the easier it is to be accurate. That's dive-bombing 101, no different in a Viper than it is in a Stuka.

What I try to do is set my parameters the same each time, or as close as I can at least. So the profile I have been flying (and was used in the second nuclear plant strike shown above) is to fly at 20,000 around mach .90 to mach .94. At 4.5 DME I roll inverted and pull to 30 degrees. At this point I can see the target diamond in the HUD and I roll back canopy-up, transition to CCIP and center the BFL over the diamond. Then just wait for the pipper to track to the diamond and pickle.

Last edited by DBond; 05/17/17 02:45 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4357854 - 05/17/17 02:34 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Wildcat, I bet your smiley bits are the thing. I am probably on it 5 to 6 seconds, and I might change my pitch attitude a bit, or correct my steering, which inhibits the release according to what you posted. I guess I assumed the CC part is continuously calculated and that the FCR would compensate for flight path adjustments made post-consent.

That 'disrupted by any other factor' is probably the root of my issue. I will try again with a shorter pickle-hold and no flight correction and see what happens. Good stuff, thanks.

Last edited by DBond; 05/17/17 02:46 PM.

#4357855 - 05/17/17 02:50 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England
Thanks Wildcat, I bet your smiley bits are the thing. I am probably on it 5 to 6 seconds, and I might change my pitch attitude a bit, or correct my steering, which inhibits the release according to what you posted. I guess I assumed the CC part is continuously calculated and that the FCR would compensate for flight path adjustments made post-consent.

That 'disrupted by any other factor' is probably the root of my issue. I will try again with a shorter pickle-hold and no flight correction and see what happens. Good stuff, thanks.

No problem, hopefully it works!

[Linked Image]
#4357881 - 05/17/17 05:14 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, and it makes alot of sense. I just misunderstood what I could get away with post-consent I think. It fits and I'll go drop something on the server tonight after work, and after I mow my lawn, walk and feed the dog and go to the kid's soccer practice lol. But then! I'll give a go smile

Anyone flying? The Reds could be running loose in our rear! eek

Here's something for those SDBs.... set a precision steerpoint on eight different HART sites.

#4357886 - 05/17/17 05:47 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England
Yes, and it makes alot of sense. I just misunderstood what I could get away with post-consent I think. It fits and I'll go drop something on the server tonight after work, and after I mow my lawn, walk and feed the dog and go to the kid's soccer practice lol. But then! I'll give a go smile

Anyone flying? The Reds could be running loose in our rear! eek

Here's something for those SDBs.... set a precision steerpoint on eight different HART sites.

Last time I attacked a HART site I got 83 kills in one sortie. Using JSOW

[Linked Image]
#4357896 - 05/17/17 07:02 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Had to run a classic four-eight-four just to keep the old-man-war going smile

Fragged a 2-ship pre-plan-CAS on a HART up north.
Wingman lined up on runway:

[Linked Image]

Still climbing I had a 2..3..4-ship? on our left out off the westcoast.
AWACS declared them MiG-19's and despite a little too early to engage red air risking to abort mission later on I still sent my wingman at one of them and then I picked a nearby myself.

[Linked Image]

I could see one fireball and to not drag my luck to far I returned to my primary mission.

As I tried to line up with my flightplan another pair popped up on the right side inland korea.
Starting to feel under pressure, and to be honest the flight felt very long suddenly, I only got a bogey from AWACS.
I did the old cheat asking wingman to engage and heard myself call ".. that MiG-21", oh! ok?
Tagged then second in flight and asked AWACS again (you know I have most friendly kills in our campaigns so I wanted to be sure this time).
AWACS said OK Oden, go get them (yeah, sort of anyhow).

[Linked Image]

Never had a confirmed kill on both but turned north again trying to press our way forward for our main task.
I kept thinking we put us in disadvantage now maybe having a Fishbed on our tail.

Got to target still not attacked by any air and started to do pair-Mk84 drops after guiding wingman to a nearby concentration.
First a ripple x2 at 333ft sep. but only one bomb came off - why is this happening to me! smile

Tried to get around and find another solution but just couldn't get my act together - maybe I was too time pressed knowing all red air was there even if I had no contact with them.
Improvised by dropping #2 on a hardened bunker.

After my 3rd loop something said "poff" and all my MFD's went black along with HUD and RWR and, well everything!
Jettison had to be the end of my last 84's and I looked down at the magnetic compass trying to find my way south.

Then I tried the Helmet tracker and tadaaa, it gave me my needed info - not the usual usage of that system, right? biggrin

[Linked Image]

Since I always set the TACAN before taking off I flipped NAV mode to TCN and could already see I had contact with that radiomast.

After some nervous minutes I was down to 32 miles from home and started decending.

[Linked Image]

So sweet to see Kunsan even if I had no radio to announce my situation and as such the runway was pitch black.

[Linked Image]

Made it back in one piece (had a few pics of landing but skipped those to not spam this thread more than I do)

[Linked Image]

Would you believe this?

[Linked Image]

It seems my first half-assed drop got 23 kills.

[Linked Image]

Debrief also showed I missed that initial MiG-19 but I did sink the following MiG-21.
It also seems I was hit by an SA-15 when my pit went dark.
(wingman missed both his slammers and later got downed by an SA-15).

#4357902 - 05/17/17 07:16 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Fantastic! Your missions are always so interesting Oden :

Congrats on the cabbage. I gotta ask, when you first heard the voice announcing your meritorious achievement, did you instantly think you were getting a court martial? Or did you realize straight away? smile

That HART line is a little further north than I've been willing to go thus far. Your bravery and ambition paid off big time with that kill total and the shiny new medal. Congrats mate thumbsup

#4357984 - 05/18/17 04:25 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hopped on tonight, no one on, again. I thought this campaign would see more players. I've flown all three nights and only saw cane on, but then he had to go.

Tonight I flew several air defense missions. The Red surge that I had wondered where it was occurred tonight. The skies were active. I actually cancelled one interdiction that I had fragged just before step because my target area was being invaded by all sorts of Red aircraft, and all sorts of MiGs.

Unfortunately my network performance was poor, with blue pauses and aborted commits. Twice I had to exit from a pause. Norrmally that would see the mission not count in my totals on the server, but for whatever reason tonight it seems to have stuck. I only seemed to have got one result screen

Good mission with a pair of pairs of MiG-29s. I had a bunch of missiles fired at me in this one. It was between AWACS patrols and I was getting no heads up until I locked something. Fun mission.

[Linked Image]

And I suppose if you're going to pause out, may as well do it in style. Gunzo on a Beagle

[Linked Image]

The final mission I was going to fly was that SDB attack on eight HART sites. Got it all set with the precision steerpoints but was kicked out of the pie screen at '2 bars'. That's what I meant by aborted commits. I commit, it gets to 2/5 loaded and then hangs, eventually putting me in the debrief screen. Oden said he has seen this too. So I didn't get to try that mission on the server. But I did try it at home biggrin

What's a guy gotta do to get an Air Force Cross in this game? Or even a Silver Star would have been nice. If that last Su-25 would have just gone down... stubborn bastages they are. Anyway, that went well for my first time loading this weapon and having only read Wildcat's post. I take back what I said in an earlier AAR about JDAMs being as easy as it gets in Falcon. This means those HART sites are still sitting there all pristine-like on the server if anyone joins and wants to kills them.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 2017-05-17_191259.jpg2017-05-17_221035.jpg2017-05-18_000502.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 05/18/17 04:32 AM.

#4357987 - 05/18/17 04:59 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

when you first heard the voice announcing your meritorious achievement, did you instantly think you were getting a court martial?

Yes smile

Sweet shot on that IL-28, well besides the dreaded blur pause.

Heads up on server, I am off on a business trip and will be back home late friday Swedenland time (9pm style) but hopefully I will be in time to reset the server before you US timezoners go active.

#4357989 - 05/18/17 05:26 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Hopped on tonight, no one on, again. I thought this campaign would see more players. I've flown all three nights and only saw cane on, but then he had to go.

I think you are on the east coast. I am on the west coast and I think a couple others that gave been posting are as well. I know during the week, if I get on to there server you are probably in bed. Lol

#4357997 - 05/18/17 07:33 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

And that is why we spam this thread with AAR's, with or without Pictures
biggrin

But it would be fun to have atleast 3 pilots at once to fly a package with one human in each flight along with an ai wingman or 3.
Like one strike and two SEAD or two strikers with one SEAD, depending on air superiority situation.

#4357998 - 05/18/17 07:42 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Got in a couple quick missions tonight. Hit a nuclear reactor and a bridge near the reactor.

[Linked Image]

Two hits with a Mk84 using a CCIP delivery which knocked out a good portion of the complex that was not already damaged. Destroyed another cooling tower with a JDAM. Hit the main bridge span next with a JDAM and knocked it out of commission.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second mission was a TARCAP. Of course no one bothered to take out the SA-3 site right under the patrol area. Wingman and myself each bagged a Mig-23. I managed to evade a couple SAM's, but pushed my luck and got hit with a third SA--3 and had to eject. I should have known better and given a bit more space.

Attached Files 2017-05-17_234822.png2017-05-17_234816.png2017-05-17_234808.png
Last edited by WolverineFW; 05/18/17 07:52 AM.
#4357999 - 05/18/17 07:52 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

You put in some serious work there Wolverine!

That SA-3 mishap is a direct copy of my deep strike adventure in the previous Tiger Spirit we flew.
Guess I had the same conclusion as you had.
smile

You also get +3 Oden for going 84 biggrin
(and I am sure DBond smiles too)

#4358002 - 05/18/17 09:18 AM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England
Nice work everyone!

I got one sortie in last night.

Either read about it below, or just watch the video smile

I flew from Kunsan up the coast to hit a HQ battalion West of Seoul at Yeocha-Ri (on the bit of land that juts out) with 4 JSOW.

Picture clear all the way to the target.

Identifying the target - that looks like the column to me, and deciding how to setup my JSOW.
[Linked Image]

I decided to go for a pair release in tandem with 1200ft spacing, with an attack azimuth of 45 degrees.
[Linked Image]

I locked the target and then created a markpoint and used that for my attack run, probably could've just kept the target locked, but thought it might be easier to set up a Wagon wheel without losing track if I had a markpoint to fall back to each time.

Launch conditions met, time to pickle.
[Linked Image]

I then set up a counter clockwise wagon wheel and had my wingman attack while I reset to come in for another run.

There was no AWACS for the first half of the mission and we were bounced by at least 1 MiG 29 A. I dind't know he was there until my wingman called out he was attacking him.

Turns out the 29 was only 10 miles away and we were flying nose to nose - I quickly locked him and Fox 2'd him before cranking and pumping away from him while 2 went as
[Linked Image]

I then continued with the ground attack but after 3 attempts I just couldn't get a shot off - I either couldn't find targets, or had problems moving the cursor on the FCR - not sure what was happening there.

While doing this we had a few more contacts, two Su25 - one of which I killed, the other was damaged, and also a MiG 19 which I killed.

Egress was uneventful, apart form a couple of pauses and time compression (resulting in a bit of 4x approach).

I touched down with 90 lbs of fuel smile
[Linked Image]

Results were, mission success, pilot rating excellent.

3 AA kills (Su25, MiG 29A, MiG 19), 1 damaged (Su25)
6 AG kills.

Wingman is MIA, with 1 AA and 19 AG kills. Not sure what happened to him, will review Tacview when I get the chance.

[Linked Image]
#4358034 - 05/18/17 12:45 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good job guys. Wolverine, yes, I didn't realize guys were flying after I signed off for the evening. I've been on until about 12 PM EDT, so 9 PM your time.

About the AWACS, I have been fragging them, but on a 24/7 server I cannot keep them up constantly unfortunately. I give them 16 hour station times, but with the lack of Blue ATO fragging due to endless consolidations (and no defensive air) they may even be getting shot down.

Isn't there anyone on the east coast that wants to fly with me? So lonely smile

The AARs you guys post show why I am flying with no AI. Which is the last AAR here that has a AI wingman actually making it back biggrin

The campaign is going in to day 4. It ends on day 5, so keep the pressure on. We may actually win this one.

#4358048 - 05/18/17 02:17 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England
Good job guys. Wolverine, yes, I didn't realize guys were flying after I signed off for the evening. I've been on until about 12 PM EDT, so 9 PM your time.

I ended up flying at about 21:15 uk time last night.

[Linked Image]
#4358049 - 05/18/17 02:19 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England

The AARs you guys post show why I am flying with no AI. Which is the last AAR here that has a AI wingman actually making it back biggrin

I kept the AI for 2 reasons, the AWACS cheat, ask him to attack a target to check if it's friendly or not - and in case of AA engagement so I can crank, pump and reset while he pushes the attack when I'm cold.

[Linked Image]
#4358055 - 05/18/17 03:07 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: Wildcat]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Wildcat

I kept the AI for 2 reasons, the AWACS cheat, ask him to attack a target to check if it's friendly or not - and in case of AA engagement so I can crank, pump and reset while he pushes the attack when I'm cold.

Good reasons. This server is running with the 'no AWACS required' setting (I think). I'm not perfectly clear on how it is supposed to work, but here's what I think based on 2+ campaigns using it now.

If no AWACS is up (or within range) you will get responses to declare calls. But not picture calls (it will say clear) and little to no 'other' AWACS features, such as enemy aircraft launch activity.

A funny thing I saw last night, speaking of AWACS. I was flying my first BARCAP of the evening. Some gomers had penetrated in to Blue airspace quite a ways. I chased for at least 10 minutes over the solid cloud deck that covers southern South Korea. Eventually these aircraft were shot down I think by Hornets, so I turned back for the front. I didn't know where I was (solid deck and no knee map) but I noted my bullseye position which was 75 miles due south. As I flew north I made a picture call and got a response about 10 miles away and 1000 feet. That's helicopters usually. So I started sweeping low level and picked up a couple of contacts, going a little faster than a helo can. First declare was friendly. Maybe they are trying to get the helos, and the AI has a hell of a time doing that.

Finally I switched to externals to see what was going on and I saw an E-8, down in the weeds, with both motors smoking, with a MiG-29 on him. The MiG was actually doing barrel rolls around the JSTARS, within feet. I don't know how they didn't collide. It was insane. I couldn't shoot the MiG for fear I'd take out the E-8 instead, and I want to no fratricides. So I left them. The MiG still had missiles, but I think had gotten himself in so tight he could not use them? Eventually some Hornets locked the MiG and he 'burnered off to the north and that's the last I saw of him. The E-8, I presume, survived.

#4358057 - 05/18/17 03:23 PM Re: SimHQ KTO Iron Fortress [Re: DBond]  
Wildcat Offline
Wildcat  Offline

Durham, England
Originally Posted by Wildcat

Good reasons. This server is running with the 'no AWACS required' setting (I think). I'm not perfectly clear on how it is supposed to work, but here's what I think based on 2+ campaigns using it now.

If no AWACS is up (or within range) you will get responses to declare calls. But not picture calls (it will say clear) and little to no 'other' AWACS features, such as enemy aircraft launch activity.

Everything in the AWACS menu was greyed out for me, so I didn't even try to declare - will test that out next time.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.