Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4261327 - 05/18/16 04:38 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.51 is released. This version adds the SA-342 Gazelle and fixes a bug with the Cougar ANT_ELEV knob not working when USB rudders are used.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4261744 - 05/19/16 03:02 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Marcocom Offline
Marcocom  Offline

United States
I cant believe how solid this is working, even in Warthog, and even in DCS2.0! v1.5 really brought the warthog into the game for me, finally.

#4270144 - 06/14/16 09:10 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.60 is released!

You need to have the latest version of TARGET (v3.0.16.520). With the new aircraft selection, be sure to read the User Reference (starting page 61) as well as the Setup Guide regarding DCS_UserSettings.tmm.

I'm looking for feedback on this; I think you'll like it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Finally, if anybody has the new TFRP Rudder Pedals, they are excluded from the profile by desig (you get more axes as a result). There is only one reason to add the TFRPs to the profile, and that is for people who use rudder trim with the TCPTM (at the expense of totally independent toe brakes). However, if there is enough interest I will add the option.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4275513 - 07/02/16 08:11 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Folks,

In polishing the Gazelle profile, I would like to make the number keys (both numeric keypad and top of the keyboard) as direct entry keys for the NADIR and the UHF radio. The idea is that simply pressing the number key (or holding S3 while pressing the number key) will directly press the button on either the NADIR or UHF, just like how the A-10C UFC and the Ka-50 PVI-800 works now.

Here's the problem: 1 and 2 default to swtiching seats. I already have the seat swap mapped to the hat switch, but I don't like to change default mappings if I don't have to, especially for something like this.

So here are the options I can think of:
  • Use number keys for NADIR and S3+number keys for UHF and just use hat for seat swap
  • Use number keys for NADIR and S3+number keys for UHF and remap seat swap to other keys
  • leave default 1-2 for seat swap and make S3+number keys NADIR and S3+numeric keypad UHF radio

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Finally, I'm having a tough time figuring out how best to map the non-numeric NADIR keys. I've tried something with the numeric keypad and the LMFD, but it just doesn't seem intuitive. I'm open to suggestions here as well.

EDIT: Here's the NADIR layout right now; any advice is welcome.

Last edited by HomeFries; 07/02/16 08:15 PM. Reason: added graphic

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4280256 - 07/20/16 01:55 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.62 is released for use with DCS World 1.5.4. 1.62 adds the L variant of the SA342 Gazelle, as well as new features with the M-2000C.

Also expanded in 1.62 is the dynamic backlighting. This is strictly cosmetic, but adds immersion. For example, switching on electrical power in FC3 aircraft using the APU switch on the Warthog Throttle will cycle the MFD and Throttle backlighting from off/minimal to on, as will applying battery power in the M-2000C by using RBRT. Most of the backlighting options are disabled by default, but I encourage you to enable them and try them out.

Also, just to reiterate, I'm still hoping to receive suggestions on how you would like the NADIR mapped on both the keyboard and MFD for the Gazelle. Please don't be shy.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4285250 - 08/05/16 11:23 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.63 is released. 1.63 adds the F-5E Tiger II and fixes some issues with the MIG-21 due to the module's recent change to toggle functions.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4295985 - 09/13/16 07:41 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.64 is released. 1.64 adds multicrew capability to the SA342 Gazelle and completes the Gazelle profile to include UHF and NADIR direct entry. Additionally, 1.64 updates the changes in mappings with the M-2000C.

Version 1.64 also adds compatibility for DCS SimpleRadio Standalone, to include intercom mapping for the Gazelle and L-39 Albatross.

Of note, the NADIR and UHF direct entry mapping in the Gazelle necessitated that I remove the default use of "1" and "2" to change seats. You must now use S3+Hat1 Long to change seats, as "1" and "2" are now used for the NADIR keypad.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4298500 - 09/23/16 08:54 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

1.65 is out. 1.65 adds INS direct entry functionality to the M-2000C and fixes a CommState bug with the Cougar.

Here's a Direct Entry teaser:

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4329574 - 01/19/17 08:13 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.66 is released. In addition to the Spitfire, v1.66 fixes a number of bugs, improves the M-2000C based on the latest avionics updates, and improves the FC3 autopilot logic (Warthog only).

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4334487 - 02/03/17 09:10 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.67 is released.  V1.67 adds the AJS-37 Viggen to the list of selectable profiles.  DCS World 1.5.6 (currently OpenBeta) is required to fly the Viggen, but the profile is otherwise fully compatible with DCS World 1.5.5.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4341090 - 02/28/17 05:31 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Rangoon Offline
Rangoon  Offline

After decades using CH gear, I finally added a Warthg HOTAS w/Cougar MFDs to my setup. Having invested hundreds of hours into CH profiles, a) I don't exactly want to start over, and b) I understand what it takes to perfect a complex profile. Thanks for producing and sharing these with us, HomeFries!

I actually just recently downloaded the ones on the DCS site by Polaris and SchniX. I was surprised theirs didn't use TARGET, which made me suspcious that those profiles are likley a bit simplified because of it - maybe I'm wrong. So I wanted to ask a couple of quick questions if you don't mind:

1) any idea how yours compares to theirs regarding breadth of functions and possibly learning curve?

2) do your profiles prioritize each aircraft's ideal layout without regard to other aircraft layouts (the pc simmer's dilemma)? Or do they find common groun/themes whenever possible to make switching aircraft as intuitive as possible after mastering one?

Thank you!

#4341101 - 02/28/17 06:24 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Rangoon,

I haven't used the other profiles you mention, so I can't do a direct comparison. However, programming in TARGET has advantages and disadvantages; with my script I have tried to maximize advantages and minimize disadvantages.

Since the other profiles don't rely on TARGET, they rely on the ability to customize controllers within DCS. DCS is very powerful when it comes to flexible control setups, but there are things that you can only do with TARGET, such as double the functionality of a button with the TEMPO command (similar to how the A-10C has different commands for long and short button presses), assign multiple commands to a single button (macro), create arrays for cycling discrete state commands (especially useful for the MiG-21 and AJS-37), and reassigning button assignments on the fly. My script does all of these, and in fact it is the ability to change buttons on the fly that made me migrate to TARGET in the first place so I can change aircraft profiles with the push of a button. Of note, I also use the LED functionality on both the MFDs and Warthog throttle. Of note, I also have direct entry routines in some cases where if you use a particular snapview (like zooming into the A-10C CDU), you can use your keyboard to type in all of your entries. Once you release the snapview, the commands go back to their default state.

The downside is that, like CH, Thrustmaster creates an integrated virtual controller (in this case the stick, throttle, and both MFDs). The problem is that DirectX is limited to 8 axes and 32 buttons, so you lose a lot of directx functionality between the stick, throttle and both MFDs. (as opposed to them being four separate controllers). I work around that limitation with modifiers, and I assign key commands to most switches on the warthog throttle base. This brings up both a feature of the throttle switches that can be an advantage or disadvantage with TARGET, depending on what the game supports. If you have the A-10C, you've seen that the switches on the warthog throttle base map directly to their in-game counterparts, and the in-game switch automatically matches the state of the WH throttle base. If you use TARGET, you must map these switches to DirectX to get the same funcitonality, and you lose directx functionality on the other controllers. I don't do this. However, if the module doesn't support discrete switch states like this, then TARGET is the only way to provide both on and off commands to the switches. This is how I do switches whenever possible, and even though they don't sync with the game, you still have discrete control.

One last thing: while TARGET is great, the FAST middleware that Thrustmaster uses is sometimes unstable. I use workarounds to get the instability out of my profiles (like not using two LEDs at the same time, for instance), but it isn't perfect. If you don't use TARGET, having your profile crash is one less worry you have.

Regarding layouts, my philosophy is to match the aircraft's control scheme as much as possible, and if the commands don't support this I revert to the TMS/DMS/CMS philosophy for the A-10C and F-16 and group things that way. I also have a philosophy of mapping controls that are hard to reach using the mouse; a clickable cockpit should be an option for convenience, not a rite of passage. So I guess my philosophy on control schemes is a mix of the two extremes you ask about. There are some consistent functions I try to maintain across the profiles, but you may experience some learning curve between modules.

Hope this helps,
HF

Last edited by HomeFries; 02/28/17 06:28 PM.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4341105 - 02/28/17 06:47 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Rangoon Offline
Rangoon  Offline

Sounds great, thanks Home Fries. I'm just now going through your documentation. I'm sure anyone who can/would put that material together as well as you have is doing some very high-level, well-thought-out profile design. I'm looking forward to trying these out.

#4343506 - 03/10/17 07:26 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.68 is out. 1.68 adds basic VR capability (mouse buttons to POV hat), enables optional use of the Warthog afterburner detent, and fixes some bugs (including the gear transition bug in the AJS-37 that could crash the profile).

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4353884 - 04/27/17 12:10 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Rangoon Offline
Rangoon  Offline

For some reason I'm not able to download the 1.68 file. I tried clicking on the center download as well as in the upper right corner, but nothing happens. I tried turning off my AV protection, but no difference. Something I'm missing?

EDIT: I assume it's just a monthly bandwidth limit issue. Can anyone with the file please pm me a dropbox link or something? Have the day off today and tomorrow, but will be out of town next week when the new month begins. Was excited to get this set up!

Last edited by Rangoon; 04/27/17 01:06 PM.
#4354555 - 04/30/17 10:34 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: Rangoon]  
pjgs Offline
pjgs  Offline

Same for me. Can't download.

#4354559 - 04/30/17 11:33 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: pjgs]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by pjgs
Same for me. Can't download.

Try again, after the first of the month.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4354838 - 05/01/17 10:09 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I should have 1.69 ready to go shortly, but the issue was likely bandwidth. Apparently the profile is getting popular!

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4356780 - 05/11/17 11:17 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
skreedk Offline
skreedk  Offline

Hi,

I'm all new to DCS World. I've played Falcon BMS in the past, and getting the controls right, is a puzzle.

Now, I'm giving this a try, but I'm having issues figuring out how to get the stuff working. Here's what I have:

- TrackIR4
- Trustmaster HOTAS Cougar - no rudder pedals

I've installed the Joystick with drivers and all, and it works, but I really need a "guide for dummies" on how to configure the Cougar CCP, the TARGET and finally the controls in DCS.

As it is now, I've figured out how to load a control scheme in DCS, but I don't think that's the right way to do it.

I've never used TARGET before, but when I load a profile, and test the input, it gives me nothing...I guess that isn't as it should be, right?

PLEASE, help me set this up, so I can get airborne and start spending money on more aircraft wink

#4357253 - 05/14/17 02:40 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

skreedk,

The Setup Guide is your best bet, although I don't cater it as an " guide for dummies" but rather a checklist of things you need to do. Still, use that as a reference when going through step-by-step.

One thing I will say that you may (understandably) overlook: TARGET creates a virtual joystick controller when a profile is activated. The controller will be called Thrustmaster Combined. This is the controller that needs to be tested with the device analyzer and for which diff.lua files must be imported in DCS. The TARGET profile must be running before configuring in DCS. Also,do you have the MFDs? These should be considered mandatory for using the profile for more than a single aircraft.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.