Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4354675 - 05/01/17 01:05 AM Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying?  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Staring in September of 1916, anyone manage to survive all the way until the war ended without dying once in their pilot career? Dead is dead. Has it been done? On full realism, hardest difficulty, pilot career mode, as a fighter pilot.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/01/17 01:05 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4355105 - 05/03/17 01:21 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I've never done it but I also don't care to. If I die, I re-do the mission. It IS a game after all. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4355227 - 05/04/17 12:34 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
But are you good enough? The reason I have spent so much time in Falcon BMS is never knowing what I'm up against. Every mission is something new. If I replay a mission in Rise of Flight, I begin to memorize what happens when and that kills the element of surprise. Thus, my pilot gets wasted, he's dead. Time to start a new career.

The downside to this, of course, is being stuck in the early years more often than not. I've contemplated letting the pilot die, then start a new career on the same day he got wasted, thus, being a fresh reinforcement, and a new mission.

Rise of Flight is scary as #%&*$#. When bullets whiz by your head, and they do, you know deep inside a couple inches further and you'd be a goner. I don't get that feeling in any other sim I've ever flown. Nothing scares the #%&*$# out of me more than a head on pass versus two enemy planes or trying to take out a lone bomber by myself. It's nerve-wracking. If I could strap armor around my pilot, I would, but I can't. And then there are the aerial collisions, losing one of your wings, watching the ground spiral closer and closer, knowing it'll either hurt really bad or lights out forever. Ten or twenty seconds of horror. Now I know why people scream when they fall to their death. Sort of.

#4355282 - 05/04/17 11:02 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
But are you good enough?

I think so. I just wouldn't be patient enough. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4356060 - 05/08/17 06:36 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I've come close once or twice, but no joy.

I managed to nurse a guy almost all the way through - the infamous two weeks to retirement - and got killed by a random and unlucky flack burst from my own side who were shooting at an observer aircraft I was carefully working on.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4356239 - 05/09/17 12:34 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Whelp, my latest French badass lost his life on his 13th sortie last night, on September 19th, 2017. RIP. frown

Cause: accidentally rammed the bandit he was trying to shoot down. WHOOPS. He had 15 kills to his name, rank of Sergeant, and four medals and a purple heart. Ironically he was shot the previous mission and survived, spent three days in the medical ward, was discharged and did something stupid. Damn forest. If there wasn't a forest only two hundred feet below him, he might of lived. Maybe.

It made me sad.

#4356522 - 05/09/17 11:29 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, that's almost the worst!

It's the slow motion "oooh, this is going to hurt!" that's the cringing part of it!

The worst is botching a landing on grass, having the aircraft turtle, and somehow having this kill the player.

At landing speeds it should never kill the player, as even in 1915 they wore restraints. In fact, the G forces are more rotational, holding one in their seat, until one is inverted, at which point one is stationary and hanging upside down.

Trust me, I know.

wink

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4356726 - 05/11/17 12:32 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Dart]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
I remember one guy did it with il2 dgen campaign, 300+ missions.Named Kraut I think ? I can't even dream of it, my best streak before dying a stupid death is less than 20, all sims. I remember surviving a Corsair campaign only to crashland on last mission, trying to get on a CVE that was to evacuate our squadron from Palau.

In RoF i merely got past 10 IIRC, it's really a nerve wracking sim, I feel so vulnerable flying these crates that I'm more prey than hunter.

#4356921 - 05/12/17 04:01 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Dart]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Dart
Oh, that's almost the worst!

It's the slow motion "oooh, this is going to hurt!" that's the cringing part of it!

The worst is botching a landing on grass, having the aircraft turtle, and somehow having this kill the player.

At landing speeds it should never kill the player, as even in 1915 they wore restraints. In fact, the G forces are more rotational, holding one in their seat, until one is inverted, at which point one is stationary and hanging upside down.

Trust me, I know.

wink

Yeah, I bet you do. Imma come down to Alabama and weasel my way into your plane someday. ;P (in my dreams)

So I did the best thing I could do after Biff died. I started a new career. And I set out for revenge, picked up the next day, squadron replacement, fresh off the training bench. Loaded up my Nieuport 17 with an extra over-the wing machine gun and a stack of rockets. I looked like a dumbass firing those rockets(I've never used them before), but it felt good spraying them about a spotting balloon camp. He lived to see the next day. Took out a bomber, too. That'll show those German bastages.

#4356922 - 05/12/17 04:03 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: rollnloop.]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by rollnloop.
I remember one guy did it with il2 dgen campaign, 300+ missions.Named Kraut I think ? I can't even dream of it, my best streak before dying a stupid death is less than 20, all sims. I remember surviving a Corsair campaign only to crashland on last mission, trying to get on a CVE that was to evacuate our squadron from Palau.

In RoF i merely got past 10 IIRC, it's really a nerve wracking sim, I feel so vulnerable flying these crates that I'm more prey than hunter.

Yep. It's scary as hell. Funny enough though, some of the WW 2 maneuvers I've picked up over the years for conserving energy are applicable in WW 1 dogfights, too.

#4357275 - 05/14/17 10:14 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Geuss, now it is time to go online, for the next fase in your flysfim carreer.

#4357875 - 05/17/17 04:24 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
SgtWilson Offline
SgtWilson  Offline

Reading this and watching an old documentary got me riled up to fire up Rise of flight and start a full real dead is dead career from 1916....Only two missions in and realizing that No Icons and proper map navigation really adds to the "wanting to keep your man alive" scenario.....For anyone interested the documentary I watched..it was a copy of a 1987 VHS tape. Very good..https://youtu.be/wO8oWYLhT6o smile

#4358094 - 05/18/17 06:20 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: SgtWilson]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by SgtWilson
Reading this and watching an old documentary got me riled up to fire up Rise of flight and start a full real dead is dead career from 1916....Only two missions in and realizing that No Icons and proper map navigation really adds to the "wanting to keep your man alive" scenario.....For anyone interested the documentary I watched..it was a copy of a 1987 VHS tape. Very good..https://youtu.be/wO8oWYLhT6o smile

Some of my most memorable missions are getting lost to the point of wondering if I was going to run out of fuel or not.

I finally found my aerodrome through more luck than anything else, having flown through a tour of what probably was every allied nation's sector.

From Laser:
#4358098 - 05/18/17 06:40 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I think you die when flipping on landing if the pilot's head is raised too far.
I once flipped, then accidentally pressed my 'head up' button, which sent the pilot's head into the ground. Bam, dead.

#4358729 - 05/22/17 04:28 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Dart]  
Daze Offline
Daze  Offline

Florida
Originally Posted by SgtWilson

Some of my most memorable missions are getting lost to the point of wondering if I was going to run out of fuel or not.

I finally found my aerodrome through more luck than anything else, having flown through a tour of what probably was every allied nation's sector.

Do you guys think it's cheating or ok to land if lost then check the map for the 'your plane' icon.....? btw this thread got me started a DID career from sept 1 12916 Jasta 6 E3 will start mission 4 tonight........ E3's don't kill balloons to good.....lol

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
#4359072 - 05/23/17 10:09 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Yep, cheating! No landing to see yer plane on the map. wink

I've gotten really good at identifying forest shapes on the map, and am pleasantly surprised at how good a job these folks at 777 did with it. On Sunday I did my first recon mission ever (failed but don't know why) and shot down my first balloon with rockets. I love my Nieuport 17 <3 smile. I wish I could still start in the Nieuport 11 but I think they removed that from the old Beta Campaign.

I have been recording my missions as I go. I cut the first one out of my latest posting because well, it was boring and nothing happened. But the rest were interesting:

Oh, and I don't really sound like a hick, it's all an act. Though I am a southerner, I earned that accent through birth, but only use it when I feel like it.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/23/17 10:10 PM.
#4359267 - 05/24/17 06:30 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
FourSpeed Offline
FourSpeed  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I'm pretty sure you can start a Career in the N11 -- I've got one (from some time ago), and I was able to start one in the Airco DH2 a couple days ago. Most of the older planes (pre-Muromets) can be selected this way. You just need to "Filter by Plane", select the N11, move the slider somewhere in the "green" area and pick an airfield that has a green dot above it for the starting day you picked.

While Dart's comment made me smile (thanks!), I suspect it wasn't all that unusual for pilots to get lost, land somewhere to figure out where they were, and proceed again. Of course, I'm a cheater... I play with icons on -- because it lets me find more bad guys, and thus have more fun... YMMV (I play on Wargrounds, and in FiF when I want the "expert" experience). neaner

Regarding your original question, I've never gotten my guys through the war (yet). I always start my careers as a "rookie" in 1916, and play them til dead -- I rotate the services with each pilot. On average, they seem to make it about 3 months before stupidity, or just plain bad luck kills 'em. In the latter category, I've caught the proverbial wing parts in the face from the bad guy after I killed him, had mid-airs with moronic wingmen, and suicidal enemies, gotten flakked by their side, and my own, numerous times. On the stupidity side, I've mid-aired a balloon (ewpsie), torn my own wings off (over-G), killed the engine in a dive (usually on a balloon), and probably a couple other "DoH" moments I don't recall at this point.

So far, I think my "best" pilot (that's still alive) has gotten about 5 months or so in -- He's actually my N11 guy... I think his squadron is just about to transition to N17's... My German pilot is about 3 months in and is in an Albie DIII these days, and my aforementioned DH2 guy has just survived his first week. biggrin

One thing the career mode does give me an appreciation for is just how easy it was to die in those kites... It took an amazing amount of skill, courage, and I'm convinced, a liberal dose of blind luck to get through it alive.

Regards,
4 <S!>

#4359974 - 05/28/17 08:16 PM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Pilots did actually land, ask someone for directions, and take off again!
It was considered a bit of a 'rookie' thing to do, and definitely lost you face, but it did happen.
See books like Sagittarius Rising, No Parachute, and such.

#4370108 - 07/20/17 12:19 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Online tunes
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Online Tunes
Lifer

Corona, California
I've come close once or twice, but no joy.

I managed to nurse a guy almost all the way through - the infamous two weeks to retirement - and got killed by a random and unlucky flack burst from my own side who were shooting at an observer aircraft I was carefully working on.

Not sure if Martin was one of them but I really did enjoy your AAR's when you were flying those missions.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4370115 - 07/20/17 01:04 AM Re: Anyone ever make it through the full war without dying? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
LOL, I never did write up the last story of that, with the big showdown between him and the German Ace.

From Laser:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.