Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4355376 - 05/04/17 06:15 PM All Flyboy's Sites Down!  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
This is just a notice to say that all my websites with the 'Flyboy' brand are no longer active.

This means the main website itself: http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy
... and all sub-sites including, but not limited to: http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2

This is purely unintentional and the reason behind this is since May 1, 2017 my website host has moved servers or something and instead of them migrating all users' websites to the new server, they've left it up to the individuals themselves to switch to the new members area. I did get an e-mail about this but didn't realize that this move was going to be either 1) mandatory, or 2) have to be done by the user.

From the instructions given on the landing page, it looks more complicated than it needs to be and I don't necessarily get the time to mess around with this stuff now. On top of that, many of the sub-sites, including the LB2 one, were made at a time before I learned HTML and created the sites with a WYSIWYG editor where I had to use 'absolute' links within the sites to link to other areas and sections of the sites. This means that I'd have to spend a lot of time going in and changing links to pages, before I even migrate the site and have it working properly. I simply don't have the time or interest to do this.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused, and if anyone has any input on the matter, I don't mind discussing it to a degree.

Thanks to everyone for the continued support over the years, but the time just may well have come for my little online empire to have run its course.

Regards,
Gary 'Flyboy' Wright, 2017.

Last edited by Flyboy; 05/04/17 06:18 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4355413 - 05/04/17 09:38 PM Re: All Flyboy's Sites Down! [Re: Flyboy]  
baltika Offline
baltika  Offline

Scotland
Hi Flyboy,

I for one am really sorry to hear this news. I know I am much more of a lurker round here than an active participant, but this just goes to underline the old adage that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Many thanks for all your work on LB2 and Comanche in particular over the years. Your work has helped me keep those sims running as hardware and OSes have moved on well past the ken of the original software developers. I am sure that I will feel the loss of your site as hardware continues to move on and the old classic sims fall ever further into the mists of memory...

Having said that, I hear what you say about the pressures of time and the effort involved in keeping online resources running, for what you may understandably view as diminishing returns.

As I say, I will be very sorry to see the end of your online empire. I'm not sure what can be done to preserve the resources you have maintained for the community - my IT skills amount to being able to type one-handed and drink beer at the same time - if that is of any use please let me know - but it does seem sad that all those resources will vanish into the ether.

Best of luck,

Slainthe!

Baltika

#4355578 - 05/05/17 05:01 PM Re: All Flyboy's Sites Down! [Re: baltika]  
ufolev Offline
ufolev  Offline

Hello Flyboy,

Your Website was my Favorite N1 place
Many thanks for all your hard dedicated work.
Look Only Forward.
Good Luck and Success Mate!

ufo :-) copter

Last edited by ufolev; 05/05/17 05:38 PM.
#4355924 - 05/07/17 06:23 PM Re: All Flyboy's Sites Down! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
The only thing I can think of as a quick suggestion, if people still really want my website, is to ZIP it up and upload it in its entirety to my Dropbox. Users would then have to download the ZIP file and extract the whole website to their computer to use locally. There will of course be many broken links, more so with the LB2 website, and it will be up to the user to work around broken links and to find files, etc. within the site itself manually.

I find it complete bullsh*t that the webhost made this d*ck move and forces all users to move their sites manually, themselves. Out of all the free webhosts I've used over the years, this one has been the best and longest serving without too many problems though.

EDIT: I've just looked and the website can be found on the Internet Archive. I don't know to what extent the site has been archived and if it's anything like usual then there won't be any downloadable files such as ZIP/EXE/etc... but for informational purposes I think we're still in luck. Here's the last image of the site that was archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20160914162101/http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/

#4360283 - 05/30/17 05:28 PM Re: All Flyboy's Sites Down! [Re: Flyboy]  
bostar Offline
bostar  Offline

Very sad news. The last year your website was very useful for me. I have my longbow 2 working again thank to all the info of your site.

Why don't you try wordpress.com? Its free and not only for create blogs but also websites. There are a lot of templates. By the way you don't need to know HTML, all the creation & management tasks are done in a friendly editor.

Last edited by bostar; 05/30/17 05:32 PM.
#4364254 - 06/16/17 09:13 AM Re: All Flyboy's Sites Down! [Re: Flyboy]  
FatCatProject Offline
FatCatProject  Offline

Sad news !
If your website archive would also be to disappear, maybe that idea of hosting it somewhere as a zip would be nice smile
You've done a lot of work for the community, and that would be so sad to loose it all ! I've installed Commanche not so long ago and that's thanks to you !
I understand anyway that, unlike what we think about the internet, nothing is forever and you can't just keep on working on this if you have other projects that require your time.

See you smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.