Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4354783 - 05/01/17 04:50 PM Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead?  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4354785 - 05/01/17 05:12 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Yeah, at this point, Scott only sees the original Alien as canon, and he is developing the series in a different direction altogether. Ripley and crew are no much of a big deal in the big picture of Scott's story. Much less the other characters in Aliens.

This trilogy will have no tangible connection to the original movie's story (other than LV426 and the Xenos).

He said in an interview that the real mystery is who created the Xenos and why, and even hinted it was not the engineers, and that the final answer was who created the engineers....and the humans. From what he hinted all three species are related by these higher beings.

#4354807 - 05/01/17 07:20 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I agree it's long past time to leave Ripley behind and I prefer going back to investigate origins. I'm just not sure Scott is the best person to do it, even if he started it all. Not like he seems to have had it all planned out all this time.
I don't want the same story in each movie, barely advancing the story but basically the same conflict every time. I don't think he's got the best judgment.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4354931 - 05/02/17 11:12 AM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite

I don't want the same story in each movie, barely advancing the story but basically the same conflict every time. .

This is why "Prometheus" ended up being what it was. Originally, the movie was going to be pretty much a straight up "Alien" type story with all of the standard and well-established characteristics of the original film. The studio then decided to switch gears and make the film take place in the same universe as "Alien" but there would be very few direct connections between the two.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/02/17 02:36 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4354950 - 05/02/17 02:27 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Yep. That and the issues with the characters that I think everyone agrees about. 10% new interesting content, 90% more of the same.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4354951 - 05/02/17 02:39 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Things I loved about Prometheus,

1. The cinematography
2. The production/set design
3. Fassbender's performance

Things I hated about Prometheus

1. Totally non-sensical behavior and motivations by most of the characters.

2. The Engineers motive for getting humans to visit them on that planet made no sense.

#4354957 - 05/02/17 03:07 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Noomi Rapace too, I like her. The location shots were pretty spectacular too. Not quite enough though is it? Keeping hopes up for the new one.

#4354962 - 05/02/17 03:20 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

2. The Engineers motive for getting humans to visit them on that planet made no sense.

The movie does have a few plot issues, but this is not one of them.

Simply, there was no invitation from whom they call "the Engineers" to visit LV223.

Shaw and Holloway (but specially Shaw) make this interpretation of the hieroglyphics they find, as in, they did not know, but they guessed.

- Remember Shaw's pitch to Wayland (in a prologue) and in her presentation to the crew, when basically she said she believed this to be true...by faith only.

- Later in the movie when she meets Wayland after her "abortion" she is anguished and blurts out that she now understands how wrong they were in interpreting the whole thing as an invitation...

Was there an invitation at all, and by whom? Were these the beings in LV223 the ones that left the hieroglyphics on Earth?

A final detail...notice that all the hieroglyphics are found in sites related to ancient civilization. Particulary... B.C. age civilizations...not after.

Could something have happened after the invitations were offered (if they were invitations) to sour the relationship of humans and these beings?

Maybe we killed one of their peace envoys. Maybe even crucified him?

The theories are not mine, but derived from the original screenplay, Scott's interviews and the novelization.

Not fair it is not in the plot, right? But as I said, this movie has some plot issues.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 05/02/17 03:25 PM.
#4354964 - 05/02/17 03:32 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
The film did give us the "Prometheus School of Running Away From Things", though. smile

The latest graduate (among the top of his class) was Rickon Stark. smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4354967 - 05/02/17 03:41 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
The film did give us the "Prometheus School of Running Away From Things", though. smile

The latest graduate (among the top of his class) was Rickon Stark. smile

I find this more an issue with execution than with plot. They were going to kill Vickers anyway, and Scott wanted something epic. If she would had tripped or something, everyone would be like, OK...I buy it.

The scene does not convey what it intended, It was supposed to show that Vicker's, who was physically superior to Shaw, was willing to just outrun her and let her die...maybe even push Shaw out ofthe way to get herself an advantage and then ironically gets crushed by the alien ship. But that does not come across in the scene at all.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 05/02/17 04:00 PM.
#4354968 - 05/02/17 03:42 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Lol Jayhawk.

#4354969 - 05/02/17 03:48 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
In the interview above, Scott says there was no screenplay for the Blomkamp's Alien movie.

Then what did Sigourney Weaver read last year?

“It’s a great story and it’s satisfying to me to give this woman an ending… The script itself has so much in it that’s so original, but also really satisfies the, I would say, the primal needs of the aliens. It’s a tribute to all of the great work that the other directors have done, in a way, but goes in a completely new direction. I hope we’ll do it.”

http://collider.com/alien-5-update-sigourney-weaver-neill-blomkamp/

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 05/02/17 03:49 PM.
#4354970 - 05/02/17 03:53 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
In the interview above, Scott says there was no screenplay for the Blomkamp's Alien movie.

Then what did Sigourney Weaver read last year?

“It’s a great story and it’s satisfying to me to give this woman an ending… The script itself has so much in it that’s so original, but also really satisfies the, I would say, the primal needs of the aliens. It’s a tribute to all of the great work that the other directors have done, in a way, but goes in a completely new direction. I hope we’ll do it.”

http://collider.com/alien-5-update-sigourney-weaver-neill-blomkamp/

Either a misquote by the media or Weaver said "script" when she should have said "treatment/pitch".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/02/17 03:56 PM.

#4355805 - 05/07/17 12:47 AM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Ridleeeyyy...???!!! What are you doing?! Don't mess with the timeline!

Ridley says he is shooting for a sequel to the original Alien (maybe more)

#4356632 - 05/10/17 04:24 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Speaking to the "invitation". I took it more like this: it was indeed an invitation but not for peaceful purposes. Perhaps it was a trap laid out for for species that once they had developed enough for space travel and interpreting the messages left by the engineers that they would go seek them out. The engineers would then know that species had developed enough and presumably have a high enough population as to be an adequate target for the block goo accelerant. Perhaps "being fruitful and multiplying" is part of the engineers design for their creations--ultimately to be used as host in the creation of superior organisms--xenomorph related beings. Maybe Shaw realized this after the birthing scene: the interpretation of the invitation was wrong.

#4356634 - 05/10/17 04:32 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That makes sense to me Pugio. I can go for that!

#4356647 - 05/10/17 06:04 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: Pugio]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted by Pugio
Speaking to the "invitation". I took it more like this: it was indeed an invitation but not for peaceful purposes. Perhaps it was a trap laid out for for species that once they had developed enough for space travel and interpreting the messages left by the engineers that they would go seek them out. The engineers would then know that species had developed enough and presumably have a high enough population as to be an adequate target for the block goo accelerant. Perhaps "being fruitful and multiplying" is part of the engineers design for their creations--ultimately to be used as host in the creation of superior organisms--xenomorph related beings. Maybe Shaw realized this after the birthing scene: the interpretation of the invitation was wrong.

Except...

The Engineers did not impregnate Shaw directly or indirectly. David did through Holloway....and even that might have been unintentional, as the whole purpose why David gave the goo to Holloway was just to "see what happens".

I get what you say about the Engineers waiting for earthlings to become spacefarers, but it is yet not clear why they need to wait. If they have spaceships, they could have come to Earth to do what they wanted at any time, without needing to wait for the last Engineer to be woken up.

And ....cannot use this for an argument (yet... smile ) but I do not believe the beings in LV223 were the ones sought by Shaw. I think whoever planted the stellar map was not on the planet anymore, and the "Engineers" we saw were setting an ambush.

And besides...it is a LONG SHOT to interpret any of the hieroglyphic as an invitation -

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 05/10/17 06:22 PM.
#4356648 - 05/10/17 06:10 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
"Seeked"? Did you mean "sought". biggrin

Good explanation by the way Bib!

#4356651 - 05/10/17 06:19 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
"Seeked"? Did you mean "sought". biggrin

Good explanation by the way Bib!

oopppss... fixed!

#4356789 - 05/11/17 12:39 PM Re: Neil Blomkamp's Alien project dead? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
I argue it does not matter about Shaw's impregnation. She saw in the ruins of the engineer's facility that they were seemingly wiped out in a plague (I believe she even mentions this in the scene with her and Holloway in their quarters), the death of Holloway, and her own experience that this was not a place that the beings she had in mind as our creators would want us to visit for peaceful reasons. She of course does put all of this together at the end (I think she realized this after the birthing) when she urges the crew to destroy the juggernaught ship before it can leave and travel to earth. The implication is that it is going to use its cargo of accelerant to end the current life on earth.

As for coming to earth at any time...they don't want to to. My theory is what I said originally. They want evidence that a race has expanded and filled its world in order to maximize the use of the accelerant.

On the other hand you could argue that they were coming to earth at an early time but were wiped out themselves in the outbreak. But above is what "I chose to believe" smile

As for the glyph: maybe it could have been a warning by the "good" engineers to avoid that world. The figures that were interpreted as worshiping the large figure were really meant to be in the death throws of accelerant exposure. Sort of a nod to the first Alien were the engineer signal is later interpreted as a warning to stay away. But anyways, I hope they don't make the engineers out into good and bad factions--I tired trope. I prefer my aliens nebulous and cold.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.