Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4352912 - 04/23/17 06:49 AM Poll// EAW version  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Poll for the EAW version people use.
Note you can multiselect 4 of 5
The poll perod is one month for sample.

Please use the NEW Poll at the next post here: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4352979/re-poll-eaw-version#Post4352979

EAW player pole
multiple choice, up to 4 choices
Votes accepted starting: 04/23/17 06:48 AM
Last edited by FsFOOT; 04/23/17 05:47 PM. Reason: changed poll use New Version - see below
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4352942 - 04/23/17 12:31 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
All due respect, the poll as configured will not give accurate results.

To get accurate results you need to list 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 separate from "1.3 or later".

They are all VERY different from 1.3.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4352958 - 04/23/17 02:42 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Then there is the FXExe smile

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4352961 - 04/23/17 02:59 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

What's the point of the poll? Seems to have come out of no where.

If it's actually to get a feel for who is using what version then all versions need a separate category.

If, on the other hand, it is what is known as a "push poll", it would be worded the way it is for a less honest purpose.

#4352979 - 04/23/17 05:42 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Ok you are right.
IAFAIK can't edit or change the poll I made
I'll try to make another one

Several reasons I would like a poll.
The first and to explain the bias; I'd like to see how many use 1.28e or earlier versions.
I am not using later versions so want to know if any compiling any more effort on the 1.28e or pre exe's versions is something worth pursuing more.

Also some real data on overall users.
And how many are here.
I think the post poll is most effective to get some data.

The estimate of people on SimHQ by opinions of thread views etc. does not narrow down anything.
Thus there is various opinions.
My opinion is myabe 20-30 people actually visit here and play and / or Modify EAW consistently for years.
About 50 - 60 total are regulars (including those above in the tally). The additional persons being somewhat lurkers or infrequent comparitively.
The other visitors to the thread are SimHQ mebers who are ex-EAW flyers, bored, curious etc.
The other hits are mearly robots and lost people looking for EAW as in such things as Empire at War add-ons, so forth which may account for spikes at times over the years.

At any rate...

I have the new poll here

EAW user poll - please post version and use - multiple select
multiple choice, up to 20 choices
Votes accepted starting: 04/23/17 05:41 PM
#4352981 - 04/23/17 05:49 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Sorry I forgot the FxEXE
Apologies to Roel.
Others can make their own polls I simply have made this one for what it is worth.

#4352982 - 04/23/17 05:55 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

also the wording is bad on the Linux question.

Answer Yes if You HAVE used Linux.
No if NOT , or in other words You Use Windows.

#4353032 - 04/24/17 03:22 AM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Since I prefer modding treads over props, I simply do not have time for most of EAW. Besides, I think she is in capable hands. I have not installed Linux, but if my modding / real life schedule ever gives me time to replace XP, it will be with Linux.

That is the best I can help with your data collection.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4353934 - 04/27/17 02:49 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Note anyone can view the poll results without taking the poll.
The statistics are confusing per the votes since there are 20 possible choices.
Since each person can get possible 20 votes, but might only use some of those 'votes' there seems to be no way to get an average.

It seems only 8? people voted (in the second or relevant poll - ignoring the first short poll so far.
The poll period is one month so there is some time.

With the limited sample of users so far the results are a bit surprising to me so far..
for one:

EAW 1.1 and / or early custom versions based on 1.1 such as Andy's BoB, etc or ECA / ECA panel / fm's 0%, 0 Votes

I know people use these and actually thought they might be a preference (in spite of their limitations) for some.

And:

I have ever used Linux or OS other than Microsoft - even if I am not using it now or have not tried EAW on it
9%, 6 Votes

Surprises me a bit, that 6 peope have used Other or Linux / Unix or Mac, etc. Even though I expected and estimate the sample group part is more advanced users like Aldo and so forth compared with average users. It still seems to me a much higher average that I expected.
And that is somewhat good news for my camp - the alternative OS camp.

It seems the multiplayer group are not much reporting. Also some people offline hardly visit SimHQ EAW Forum except maybe once a few years or so.
Even though they may be flying other games like ROF / Flanders Fields, whatever and visit those forums most everyday!... :=o

Generally, for anyone visiting, fyi:
I would not consider too much at this time the data to represent all camps in EAW.
Those are basically 3 groups (I thought?);

1. The Online MrJelly Group - usually using the latest rolling release ex. EAW 160) .exe versions and testing other versions MrJelly makes.
2. The offline single mission flyers - typically long term players and/or modifyers with custom setups.
3. Offline Campaign flyers - classic EAW enthusiasts with usually old school classic setups.

4. Online Campaign flyers
(no sorry, the is no such thing yet.. hint wink

Nor much of anyone else around.
I'd like a wider poll and morer samples over longer time peiod like a year.
Maybe someone else in the future can do.

Also since I forgot the FXexe and some other variations it is limited in scope.
I actually would like to know that data.
Heck I may even try the latest FxEXE soon - although I am completely busy in R/L and my other camp, etc. and rarely ever try other setups since most of my own setups, slated tests I have backlog of things to get done;
(ex. showing how EAW can run server in a cluster or cloud, Dockerish style containers, 24/7. Players will eventually log in on their phone app, etc. lol .. No not testing that yet really yet!
That may easily become reality in someone elses future time.
Do they have phones with 3D holographic joysticks built-in yet? Just joking..
I am not going to be making that all happen but I do estimate it can be done.

Carry-On

Last edited by FsFOOT; 04/27/17 03:08 PM. Reason: dull grammar
#4355883 - 05/07/17 03:34 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

The small number of responses is curious when I check my MediaFire downloads
471 downloads of the 1.29 setup, 170 of the 1.28eFAW and 133 of the EAW1.26

There have been 98 downloads of the FXExe-OAW set-up

In the last few days there have been 24 downloads of the latest 160MP installation.
This is on top of 130 downloads of the UAW150V4 installation.

I would love to know who these people are smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4355939 - 05/07/17 07:22 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Well, as per November 8th, 2016 we know just how accurate polls are.

I am very happy to see those numbers from Media Fire. Lots of life left in the old girl.

#4356055 - 05/08/17 06:05 AM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Jelly, are those numbers for full downloads or partial downloads combined with full downloads? wink I feel edumicated. GoDaddy separates them in it's reports

Ostpak Redux is lagging far behind you. But, it is sad to say that we are both lacking two decimal points before the downloads have any commercial value to even the smallest publisher.

I know we do this as a hobby. smile but it is nice to dream.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4356058 - 05/08/17 06:19 AM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I cannot tell wink
Here there have been 103 downloads of the OAW-FXExe installation:

[Linked Image]

With the large numbers repeatedly involved for all sorts of downloads from my pages I would guess that they are successful, otherwise people would stop trying.
I have had no feedback, so I cannot say with certainty.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4356918 - 05/12/17 03:23 AM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I have over 27,000 views to my web page since Feb 2016.
But thats all I know about that, usually its over 50 visits a day and 60 more in repeat views.

But all these stats can be people looking for specific Star Wars game with the same initials as this WWII Game.

By my mediafire stats I assume there's anywhere to 22 to 30 some active players. Maybe less.

#4356952 - 05/12/17 11:57 AM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

I see the constant drip, drip of new exe's continues. and has split the community into pieces.

Shame really, after we all fought for so long and hard to keep EAW going, for so many years.

Today, the community has passed into history, and the few remainers try to keep the flame alight.

I've moved on, trying to make sense of a wasted life.

if it matters 904 downloads of 1.29!

Supports EAW 1.29.exe, Drop in and Play Technology. wink

1.29 download
#4357010 - 05/12/17 03:53 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: Col. Gibbon]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Originally Posted by Col. Gibbon

I see the constant drip, drip of new exe's continues. and has split the community into pieces.

Laid squarely at your feet, John. Your constant complaining and inaccurate information is what has damaged the community.

I mean really, you come back for one comment and all you have to say is everything still sucks?

Go away, malcontent.

#4357021 - 05/12/17 04:56 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Well I have to agree with CG.
From what I read on the forum archives here and other locations over the course of a year. Alot of people got fed up with changes and multiple exe being released, really more so near the end of the original EAWv1.28 development. When patches where being released.

Just like now, people have hesitation to upgrade once they get comfortable with one version and its frontend(s).

Me personally I wait for a standalone, single zip to be released before I upgrade.(I'm still on 1.40 as I have no working stick)
All the exe's and small patches in between are confusing, but I see the need for them, to iron out the bugs before effort is put into a new single archive.
I'm sure there's probably more exe's released privately for the same reasons.

Anyway Col. Gibbon. I don't think you need to feel so down about it. this stuff happens , especially in hobby's.
I struggle keeping portions of my site updated correctly as I do my research. I honestly gave up on one of my documents, mostly on keeping track of changes to the new exe's/game that comes out.

Alright well, long live EAW.

BTW does anyone have Nick Bell's old DOS EAW Edit program archive (eawedit.zip)?

#4357023 - 05/12/17 05:29 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Think about it for just a minute without all the emotional baggage.

This is a 20 year old game that still has a number of followers. Do you think that would be the case of we weren't constantly developing improvements?

As with all software, it's improve or die.

And back to my original point.

If we had a strong commitment from the heavyweights in the community to get behind the latest developments the other users wouldn't be so hesitant about upgrading.

Instead we have this atmosphere of negativity perpetrated by John.

Of course the more casual users stay away. Who wouldn't, what with the constant harping and "fake news" surrounding the new execs?

FWIW, I've been using 1.4 , 1.5 and 1.6 for quite a while. Honestly the early version were a PITA to set up though in no way as bad as John ( and others ) made them out to be.

However, we've worked through those problems and now, with the 1.6 series we not only a vastly improved game but also a well put together frontend for the game that allows incredible flexibility.

And I can also tell the community that modding for 1.6 is quite easy and in fact, has some real advantages. I won't go into the technical details but trust me, as the only modeler still at it, this setup has saved me a lot of time and frustration.

So, if there any users out there who've stayed away from the latest series of execs because they felt it was too complicated, it's time to take the plunge. The rough edges have been smoothed over.

#4357029 - 05/12/17 06:05 PM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: FsFOOT]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

In reality this is a modders' forum and not a players' forum.
John has some excellent skills in 3dz modelling, but he never learned how EAW really works.
Instead of sticking to what he knew he got annoyed when he could no longer drop skin files in the root folder of a 1.30 or later installation.
This is something that modders do, not EAW players.
He also relied on other people to incorporate his stuff into their theatres, and apart from me, nobody did, so his time was wasted.

What we have now is a flexible system of multiple theatres and multiple planesets that people are enjoying.
All John has done since he got his knickers in a knot is to troll in other people's threads.
This post should be unnecessary, as should Ray's two posts and Mark's. They clutter up Roy's thread frown

The packages I make are done so that people can enjoy their game.

There is no final version. Real players have separate 1.2, 1.28C, 1.28E, 1.28F and 1.29 installations of the stock EAW with multiple theatres.
1.30 was Ralf's WIP and was never finished, and as far as I am concerned 160 is the only slot free version that anyone needs. It does everything and more that 140 and 150 could do.

Some of the recently released "special" exes were experimental, made especially for people with screen corruption problems, and they seem to work well. They are not needed by players who do not have screen tearing.
I will not be releasing any more exes unless bugs are discovered that need fixing.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4357571 - 05/16/17 02:06 AM Re: Poll// EAW version [Re: MrJelly]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
sigh

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.