Page 34 of 64 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 63 64
#4353620 - 04/26/17 01:18 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Dart, it's been over a year since my visit. Surely it's time for me to come back.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4353761 - 04/26/17 09:05 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I think it should be flying before your next trip up!

Right now it's all just airplane pieces scattered around a hangar.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4353765 - 04/26/17 09:23 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Can you believe over a year ? Man how the time goes by.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4353788 - 04/26/17 10:52 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Dart, here are a couple pictures from Sun n Fun that you might find interesting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What is the clear tube on the left side of the cockpit in the fourth picture ? Surely it isn't for fuel.

#4353795 - 04/26/17 11:25 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yep, that's what it is.

smile

But it's to show fuel is flowing.

Btw, big smile on doing all the woodwork in the cockpit, burnishing the outside of the aluminum, and not taking some rubbing alcohol to remove the factory stencils on the inside of it.

Gotta be a Robert Baslee/Airdrome Aeroplanes construction!

Re-polished the crankshaft, polished the inside of the prop hub, heated it to a tad over 400* degrees and she fell right down to the oil slinger like it was supposed to in the first place.

While I was waiting on it to heat up on the hot plate, I also put a new big N on the tail.

Time to put it all back together!

* All the instructions say "heat it to where it will fall down the crankshaft freely." No numbers with that. I called Great Plains and they said "somewhere around 400 degrees." Well, 400 didn't cut it, so I took out my torch and heated her up as evenly as I could to about 475 or so and she plopped right on. The problem, I think, is that the "400" assumes an oven with the whole thing heated up equally. I don't have an oven in the hangar, so I had to make due.

Last edited by Dart; 04/26/17 11:43 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4353826 - 04/27/17 02:52 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Dart,
I understand about the prop hub stopping upon install, but why did you have to tear down the crankshaft to remove?

What you did is called an interference fit., or so I was learned wink.

Be careful how you heat things. You can make them soft or brittle.

" "400" assumes an oven with the whole thing heated up equally "
You are correct in that it assumes an even heat. If you ever learn how to bore a cylinder, you have already learned how to press a sleeve.

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 04/27/17 02:55 AM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4353829 - 04/27/17 03:13 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
In order to remove the prop hub which was on half way, I had to use a puller. The only way to get a grip on it was to have the crankshaft out of the engine.

And I needed to inspect the crankshaft and the woodruff key that the hub fits over. The only way to do that is by removing it.

The upside is that I kept the rods, bearings, etc. on the crankshaft so it'll be quick to put it all back together. Clean everything up, put the crankshaft back in (lining it up with the camshaft), mate the case, put the pistons back in the cylinders, wrist pins to rods, heads on cylinders, valve rods and lifters on, carb, oil screen, oil pump, and I'm ready to start thinking about triple checking timing marks and spark plugs...

From Laser:
#4353833 - 04/27/17 03:33 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

not to be an ass, but a bearing spliter can grab that type of sleeve and remove it with more types of tools then a shop press.

Not that my opinion matters, but you are doing a grand job. Glad to hear you have everything fitted.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4353843 - 04/27/17 05:06 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Looking really nice Dart, Again. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4353862 - 04/27/17 09:53 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I keep learning new stuff from this thread, awesome!

Oh and Dart, I think you should start teaching "Anger Management" and "Extra Patience" classes. You're obviously good at these things wink

#4354275 - 04/28/17 07:32 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Dart, here are a couple pictures from Sun n Fun that you might find interesting.

[Linked Image]

What is the clear tube on the left side of the cockpit in the fourth picture ? Surely it isn't for fuel.

Great thread! Been reading through what I missed...

I will only chime in to say, that's actually an oil pulsator for rotary engines. smile

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4354346 - 04/29/17 04:06 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yes, but he's running a VW with a reduction drive.

From Laser:
#4356558 - 05/10/17 02:53 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Hmmm, let's try this again.

Prop hub on the crankshaft? Yep.

[Linked Image]

Everything all lined up and the case put back together? Yep.

[Linked Image]

After torquing the case nuts I stopped for the day. I was getting all scatter brained and started setting things down and forgetting where I put it and not finding things that were right in the open.

Not a good way to be when I had the task of positioning piston rings and putting the pistons in the cylinders. Better to call it a day, drink some water, and get something to eat.

I borrowed a bit from the instructions on the circle thingie that goes between the flat oil slinger and the prop hub. With it on the crankshaft I couldn't get a good view if the prop hub was fully seated or not when mounting it. It said that it could be split and the join rotated horizontally in the case once joined, so I did that.

From Laser:
#4358104 - 05/18/17 07:14 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I need a pinion removal tool to back out and re-align the distributor gear...I was off a tooth when I put the darned thing back together. It's on its way and should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Then it's a matter of putting the bolt into the prop hub (Dave has it to drill a hole for the cotter pin), putting the Diehl case and starter on the back of it, putting the spark plugs in, mounting it on the engine, filling it with oil, and seeing if she'll start and adjust the timing.

Getting closer....

[Linked Image]

From Laser:
#4360150 - 05/30/17 04:19 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
So engine is pretty much done. Just have to put on the valve covers, torque the spark plugs and hook them up, and mount the engine and prop.

Just to show how my "bad luck/good luck" life works, there's a little spring that goes between the cam gear for the distributor and the distributor. Once everything is lined up as it should be, one simply drops it into a hole on the gear and puts the distributor on top of it.

There is a cut in the side of the well where the distributor fits in to meet the gear, no doubt to allow oil in and out, and is about a third the way up from the cam gear. It is horizontal. The spring goes in vertically.

I know that it is the perfect size - not one bit bigger or smaller than absolutely necessary for a zero tolerance fit - for the spring to fit through. The spring fell to its side and I used my little wooden skewer to pick it up and it simply vanished. Gone. Not popped out, just gone.

The spring is in the engine. The tiny half inch long three eighths inch wide spring Is. In. The. Engine.

Breathe.

Flashlight down the hole. Can't see it. Start undoing the bolts to the plate where the mechanical fuel pump would go.

Have my two Pros From Dover gently step in and volunteer, suggesting I sit in a chair and let them do it.* Apparently I looked like I was about to rip the whole thing apart with my bare hands while producing a stream of profanities that would probably take the paint off the cars parked outside the hangar.

Pump plate removed. Flashlight. No spring seen.

Oil filler plate removed. Flashlight. Silence. More flashlight. "Hand me that magnet," Rusty says, and expertly removes it from the bottom of the engine.

So fantastically terrible luck in having the spring go into the engine, but also wondrous good luck that it could be spotted and fished out.

From there things went pretty quickly, and we moved the engine onto a stand over by the aircraft, hooking up various electrical things and turning it over to set the timing. It was off initially, but thanks to the flashy flash gun and an allen wrench, we soon got things right.

* LOL, it's been a long time since I was put in "Time Out."

From Laser:
#4360183 - 05/30/17 10:53 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
You are freakin amazing Dart.....

Seriously. What an amazing adventure so far.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4360345 - 05/30/17 10:13 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by Dart

* LOL, it's been a long time since I was put in "Time Out."

Yeah... but that is probably because you don't get frequent enough adult supervision ... winkngrin

Seriously though, well done, Dart! I wouldn't have the patience and drive to accomplish what you are doing.

#4360834 - 05/31/17 06:47 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Next up is my mildly bent engine mount.

I'm going to try and jury rig a press to see if I can straighten it. If not, then I'll have to make a new one.

From Laser:
#4361142 - 06/01/17 11:49 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Here you go Dart. This would finish off your airplane nicely.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/650580678

#4361516 - 06/02/17 02:53 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Holy crap, it would be cool to have one. Even cooler to have the money to afford it.

Bonus plan - nobody would suspect it was real.

smile

From Laser:
Page 34 of 64 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.