Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 110 of 227 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 226 227
#4352717 - 04/22/17 01:33 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by Banjoman
Thanks guys. There is one thing that sort of bothers me about WOFF. Have you guys noticed that it can snow for days and then when it stops there isn't any snow on the ground? That kind of bothers me.

Banjoman, I'm actually experiencing excellent weather representation since the new update with the historical weather revisions. It snows and there is some patches of snow on the ground, more bad weather and there is even more snow until there is full cover.

[Linked Image]

Before that I was getting exactly what you're describing. One winter I had snow for a week maybe and then spring arrived. This time around I feel the winter will stay around for a while.

Attached Files Shot04-13-17-21-59-10.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4352730 - 04/22/17 03:49 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thnks for the info., I'll keep an eye out to see if I notice the lingering snow. I am running the latest version of WOFF so I should see what you are describing.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4352742 - 04/22/17 04:58 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
As the person responsible for the Historical Weather mod, I think that I may be able to answer your question. Yes, you should see more realistic depictions of snow buildup during the winter months after the 4.15 patch. In fact, that was one of the reasons I started working on the mod in the first place.

During the fall months, however, the CFS3 engine is limited in how much snow you can see on the ground. So, even after several days of heavy snow, all you will see is a dusting of light snow. For example, compare the snow on the ground on 31 December 1916 with 1 January 1917 and you will see what I mean.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4352743 - 04/22/17 05:18 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I recently had the chance to see the snow clearing in the period from March 1916 to April 1916, the appearance of the map matched up beautifully with the changing weather. First the snow stopped and, presumably the temperature increased, making the snow thin on the ground and then the rain began and the snow withdrew to small piles underneath trees and on fencelines. It was all very convincing, great work!

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4352850 - 04/22/17 08:50 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
BuckeyeBob, that's good to know. It's toward the end of December but I think in game terms that's still the fall so I shouldn't see much snow.

#4352857 - 04/22/17 09:54 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Yup, only light snow on the ground in November and December.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4352892 - 04/23/17 04:15 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fritz von Tralenheim
FA 250
Menen, AF

April 23, 1917.

Up on a Arty Spot today.

#4352928 - 04/23/17 10:53 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

23 Dec 1916 Training at Farnborough on N17

Today we practiced formation flying. That is to say it was the instructors intention. What we actually did was described by the instructor as an expletive!!

By the end of the day we were actually getting the hang of it. We were told we would be “doing the same tomorrow until we get it right!!”

Red, Will and I were commended for our performance by the instructor but the fact is I owed my performance to having acquired a better understanding of the process from my experiences in France. Many of the trainees had never seen action. The pilot of my Fee, had made a point of giving me personal lessons when time permitted and had taken me under his wing. He felt that having a gunner who could fly might come in handy if he ever suffered an injury and was forced down.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4353001 - 04/23/17 08:34 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Here is the status report for last week's action.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files ScreenHunter_180 Apr. 23 14.33.jpg
Last edited by Banjoman; 04/23/17 08:34 PM.

#4353013 - 04/23/17 11:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

24 Dec 1916 Training at Farnborough on N17

Today at class, the instructor singled out Myself, Red and Will as the three best in class in formation flying so He asked the three of us to take up three N17’s and form a vic circling the field three times staying in formation. He stated he would remain on the field with the rest of the class to dialogue with them on what he observed.

We broke for lunch before starting the formation demonstration.
This was the best news I had had for a few days. In my estimation, if I didn’t screw this up, all three of us just might be the select few to have a chance to fly the Pup. I could only hope. I spoke with Will and Red on the way to the mess, explaining my views and they both agreed that we would keep our senses alert for this flight. We dialogued and planned our takeoff, where and how we would form up, the cruising speed we would maintain during the circuit and our positions in the flight. I being a little more skilled than Red and Will, we decided should be flight leader to keep the circuit rather large to lessen the throttle compensation required to maintain formation. This would make it easier for Red and Will, off my wings, to maintain correct distance. Red was to take up the inside of the circle where control was more difficult and Will on the outside. We went over the plan several times during lunch. As we arrived back at the classroom, the instructor told us to suit up and head over to the hangars to get our mounts, while he assembled the rest of the trainees on the field to observe.

Our engines running, Will gave the circle signal and began his takeoff, I was next and then Red. I flew onlead and Red was on my right, with will on the left, as we formed up at the end of the field. We did the required three circuits maintaining good formation. I kept the circuit rather large as planned and Will had no difficult maintaining position. Red had the more difficult part having to throttle down without stall or height loss. The wide circle made it easier for him. It wasn’t perfect by any means but in my opinion quite adequate given our flying hours.

Upon landing the trainees and instructor approached us. I heard the instructor stating to the trainees. “That is what I mean by formation flying. Well done lads, although there is room for improvement. There always is in this game, so don’t get swelled heads. Nevertheless, a very solid performance. Well Done!”

Up until he spoke I was feeling beads of perspiration forming on my forehead from the stress of waiting for the instructors response. I now felt considerable relief and my temperament fell back to normal.

The instructor called us all into the classroom and stated that tomorrow morning our ratings would be listed on the board. Those who passed would be receiving their wings. The top three in the class would be given a twenty minutes of flying in a circuit around the field in the new Pup.

The class was dismissed and I headed back to my quarters to assemble all my gear. Either way, I would be going back to France on the 25th, with or without my wings. I knew I surely would not get much sleep and thought of what my mates back in France would say if they knew I would be flying a new scout before it even made it’s debut in France.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 04/23/17 11:51 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4353119 - 04/24/17 02:53 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Robert, great story. Looking forward to seeing your pilot at the front! Banjoman, Thanks for the chart Bud!, those were some beautiful screenshots. Fullofit, I do believe you get the screenshot award. Absolutely gorgeous! Carrick, glad to see you back in the skies.

Drago Duntz
April 22, 1917

Drago's frustration with his squadron almost cost him his life today. Last night he learned his Tripe was not confirmed even though he shot it down within sight of our airfield. Each day they go on patrol and one or two pilots do not come back. Moral is low and Drago's mood is not good.

Flying in a flight of two on balloon defense near the lines we were attacked by Nieuports. Drago sent one packing and looking for his flight leader and saw him being chased by the other Nieuport at low altitude. He dove like a demon and soon got on his tail. His flight leader's plane was smoking. Firing a short burst and pulling up before colliding Drago crippled the Nieuport. The EA started climbing out to head home but Drago was back on his tail. With my prop almost touching his rudder I hit the trigger and......nothing. Gun jam. I beat on gun till I was blue in the face with my nose just yards from his rudder. I finally cleared the jam but with him climbing better than me, I had lost my opportunity. I pitched down a bit to gain some air speed and coming up below him misjudged my attack and had a mild collision him. I brought my crippled plane down in a field while I watched my victim head over the lines. 2 days rest in the hospital with a bad headache! To add insult to injury, my flight leader was killed trying to land his crippled machine.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4353293 - 04/25/17 12:45 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair, thank you for the compliment. What did I win?

You shouldn't complain too much if there is enough pilots and planes for the next mission. I remember one of the Jastas had very limited number of planes and pilots and if something happened to one or the other, I had to skip days until replacements arrived. WOFF was telling me there were insufficient numbers to fly the mission.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4353299 - 04/25/17 01:08 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Fullofit]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by Fullofit
MFair, thank you for the compliment. What did I win?

You shouldn't complain too much if there is enough pilots and planes for the next mission. I remember one of the Jastas had very limited number of planes and pilots and if something happened to one or the other, I had to skip days until replacements arrived. WOFF was telling me there were insufficient numbers to fly the mission.

Yep, been in that situation before. I have been surprised Jasta 1 has not been in that situation. If I get to 5 kills Drago might transfer to a Jasta with decent pilots. I must say it is a bit of a challenge, and a good one, flying with a squadron that when you see a mate go down, he ain't coming back!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4353314 - 04/25/17 02:59 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

25 Dec 1916 Departure from Farnborough to Savy

I awoke early as usual, freshened up and headed over to the mess for breakfast.
I had tossed and turned most of the night, finally falling asleep at 2am.
I felt surprisingly refreshed for only 5 hours sleep but that was probably due to my excitement to find the results of my efforts here. The Hot tea and warm biscuits with sausage helped to drive the cold dampness out of my body, and I was soon feeling rather chipper. I could feel the tension in the air as the men rushed down their food, anxious to get over to the training room to see the postings. I was akin to that mood myself.

Feeling rather sated, I pushed back my chair, and made an exit in the direction of the classroom. You would think there had just been an air raid drill as all the trainees were quickly on my heels. We all arrived at the door jostling for access to enter. There on the far wall was the course results and the postings. I spotted my name on the list stating “passed” and posting to 60 Sqn at Savy. My pulse ran high as I read it again. I mumbled “60 Sqn”, and Red responded “lucky sod. That’s a good unit. I’m assigned to 54 Sqn.”

The instructor bellowed “Ok lad, that’s enough, take your seats”.
For those of you who have passed your course, you will have the rest of the morning to get your things together and prepare for movement to your new
Squadrons. Those that didn’t, better luck next time!

Now, it seems that three of you will get your chance to try out the new scout from Sopwith, following a personal introduction to it by Harry Hawker, himself.
The following three men are to follow me over to the test site and the rest of you are dismissed. Godfrey, Red and Will follow me.”

I looked at Red and Will who both looked like the cat that swallowed the canary.
“This is the icing, mates” I said and they both chuckled with excitement.
“Considere it as our Christmas present!” I said. Red and Will gave the thumbs up back at me.

We were introduced to Hawker and he proceeded to explain the nature of the new scout to us. He then told us “Take it very easy and not exercise any extreme manouvers. This craft and quite a few more have been allocated for delivery to 54 Sqn and I don’t think they would appreciate any heavy handedness by freshly qualified pilots.” I looked at Red and said “who’s the lucky sod now?” Hawker said “You might wonder why we are extending you this opportunity given that you are green. Suffice to say we need to confirm that fresh pilots can easily adapt to this new scout. All my personal experience dictates that this is no problem but your flights here will document the fact. So let’s dispense with formalities lads and get down to it. Albert you are up first. Red, second, and you last Will.”

The new scout was a dream to handle, a real turn fighter, with great visibility with a transparent section in the upper wing as well as a synchronized Vickers on the cowl. She was well instrumented and had an altimeter to boot. It was difficult to accept that I would now be going to a squadron outfitted with Nieuport 16’s and 17’s. Being the new man in 60 Sqn, I suspected I would be relegated to the older N16 unless they had finally replaced them all. Such is life, beggars can’t be choosers. All three of us finished our flights with no damage to the scout and I could see the flat look, turn into a smile on Hawker’s face.

All of us new pilots were called out and placed into various groups for departure to the front. I was assigned to a transport taking me to Dover, Where I was to pickup an N17 at 50 Sqn’s base, to be shuttled to 60 Sqn. The hop across the channel would be short, and from Calais I would make my way to St. Omer again. I would refuel there and then fly on to Savy, my new home, hopefully in time for Christmas dinner.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 04/25/17 03:00 AM.

(System_Specs)

#4353480 - 04/25/17 07:22 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fritz von Tralenheim
FA 250
Menen, AF

April 25, 1917.

Flew my last Arty Spot mission. Upon landing, I got orders to report to Jasta 8 as a Scout Pilot.

Attached Files CFS3 2017-04-24 14-23-29-90.jpg
#4353496 - 04/25/17 09:25 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

26 Dec 1916 Patrol to Senlis le Sec airfield

I awoke this morning somewhat fuzzy in the head. The boys here out done themselves with a Christmas bash. Someone had acquired some local Geese, apples, potatoes, celeriac, Salsify (a local root vegetable), and some local wine and some beer.
I was more than glad I had arrived at the field in time to partake of the festive season fair.

Flight Lieutenant Greaves introduced me around the mess. I was surprised that there were only 2 Lieutenants comprising A and B flights. The rest of the men were Sgt’s like myself, albeit many with far more scout experience than I had. Flt. Lieut. Cole piped up and asked “So what juicy news have you brought with you from old Blighty, Albert?”. I hear you were stationed at Farnborough and that is a field where all sorts of new things are being developed.”
I smiled, and said, “I suppose you are correct Lieut. Cole, but anything being developed within the RAF structures was totally off limits to us trainees.”
I can say, that I did see a new scout outside their hangars that looked rather interesting.” Cole’s eyes raised. “and, and, don’t hold back now. Enquiring minds want to know!” I replied, well, I am very parched at the moment Sir and this talking is greatly irritating my throat. “Damn” he said, “Give the lad a pint so as to free is tongue some.” I thanked him and then having taken a few gulps, pausing for effect, I stated “well, I wouldn’t want to be shot at dawn for revealing classified information Sir”. He looked at me with a frown and stated. “You may very well be shot at dawn, either way! We have a patrol over the lines tomorrow!” I was just swallowing a large mouthful of beer at the time and nearly sprayed it all over the bar when he said that. A hearty laugh rang out among the men at this exchange. Regaining my composure, I stated, “well, she is a fine looking little pup, she is. From what I could see, she climbs exceedingly well and has a turning radius like a dog chasing it’s tail. She looks to have great cockpit visibility based on what I could see.” Cole, put his clenched fist up to his chin, rested his chin on his thumb with his forefinger up along side of his nose and in a curious questioning tone stated. “Is there more?”. I stated that there were rumours that 54 Sqn would be getting a batch of them soon. Draining the last dregs from my glass I stated, that I did have some additional first hand knowledge but I felt that I would have to whet my wistle to continue. Cole was now catching on to my routine. “You Sir, are obviously quite skilled in more ways than one Albert.” I feel my leg is being stretched to the limit here. I laughed and piped up. “Well, actually, myself and two other lads on the pilots training course were lucky enough to win the opportunity to take said Pup up for a spin. I can only say that having to go back to flying N17’s after that was somewhat of a set back.” The night went rather long as did the servings of beer and the exchange of information. My little experience with the Pup made me the center of attention for a few days and made my blending into the squadron all the easier.

I managed to get a couple of strong tea’s into my body along with some hot porridge, all of which settled my stomach and warmed my soul a great deal.
The night had been cold but not as damp and bone biting as it was at Farnborough.

I joined the men in the briefing session where I was informed that I and Bennet (the wing man), would be flying N16’s. The rest of the flight would be in the N17 Lewis. I was not surprised. Why waste a new machine on a new pilot.

There were five of us assigned to the patrol as “B” flight. Lieut. Cole was to lead the flight, with Sgt. Bennet on wing, me, Sgt. Pidcock, and Sgt. Fry.
Since Bennet and myself were the new guys the patrol was to stay behind our lines to Senlis le Sec airfield, then second leg to Marieux airfield, then back to Senlis and finally the last leg would be back to our base. We were to fly at low altitude of 2300 ft. We had 8 kn winds from the WSW with scattered clouds well above and clear weather.

The flight to Senlis was quiet and I focused primarily on staying in formation and scanning the skies for unfriendlies. Upon arrival at Senlis I spotted archie puffs high and off my port side. I struggled to see and thought I might have spotted two craft but couldn’t be sure. I kept glancing at Lieut. Cole to see if he intended to alter course but that wasn’t happening. I suspected he either didn’t see them or considered that they were too high to offer a reasonable opportunity.

We turned west towards Marieux and upon arriving there turned again back towards Senlis. Arriving there we again encountered archie and this time Cole made a move to climb up to investigate but soon gave up the chase and returned us back on course. I again suspected they were too high to chase.

We then turned back towards Savy and had a quiet flight home. I was pleased with myself for having stayed in formation. If we had engage the enemy I am not sure my N16 would be able to keep up and provide reasonable cover for the N17 pilots. I suspected that Bennet and I would have to fend for ourselves and provide protection for each other.

(System_Specs)

#4353517 - 04/25/17 11:38 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Albert's in the big boys club now, I hope he does well! Great story RW.

#4353520 - 04/25/17 11:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto
Albert's in the big boys club now, I hope he does well! Great story RW.

Tnx for the compliment Ace. It means a lot coming from someone with your writing talent.

Yes Albert will have his hands full flying the N16!

(System_Specs)

#4353526 - 04/26/17 12:12 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Have you ever considered taking the plunge from first to third person Rob? I think you'd do just fine if you ever felt like giving it a go. (Not that you need to or anything, just curious to know if you'd toyed with the idea.)

#4353528 - 04/26/17 12:21 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto
Have you ever considered taking the plunge from first to third person Rob? I think you'd do just fine if you ever felt like giving it a go. (Not that you need to or anything, just curious to know if you'd toyed with the idea.)

Yes it would work fine. It does for your report. I guess for me it removes the personal touch. I like to live through the role in first person. I guess I try to live as Albert rather than see myself as third person.

(System_Specs)

Page 110 of 227 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 226 227