Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 505 of 608 1 2 503 504 505 506 507 607 608
#4353250 - 04/24/17 10:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

You are closer to Dux than I thought possible. What was this continent like before the English settled? wink Now I am feeling younger for some reason and I may well owe you a beer for that. We do not wish to stop growing older.

File this under: Technology marches on and can screw up your day.
I have just updated Firefox to stable version 53 and notice several beloved extensions are no longer working. Further, I understand that the Firefox browser will no longer allow extensions in their present form when the next full update comes out. Bummer. There is a new virus running amok so I have updated Chrome as well. IE is taken care of as part of MS seemingly constant updates. The extension I will really miss is called Lazarus. It automatically saves what I type here or in any text box so if there is a crash or what I've typed is otherwise lost I can retrieve it. Nice for the long posts I don't use "It's all text" for. The website is down so I'd guess they are being swamped with questions. Oddly enough that extension was just updated this week.

MG:

I am interested in adding a sandbox program and to that end, and to continue my onward and upward my slow climb to becoming a millionaire before I live to be 100, I sought out a freeware version. No joy so far. I looked at Shade Sandbox but was really turned off when I read their terms of use due to privacy issues. On further research I found it was a Russian developer using American addresses and that the general consensus in user reviews was that the software had promise but required a lot more work. Most indicated it slowed everything run in the sandbox to a near frozen crawl. Sandboxie seems to be the favorite. It is a commercial program. It may have a free to try version. Do you use a sandbox? Comodo has a freeware sandbox. I did not like their antivirus suite that included a sandbox however. I'll keep looking.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4353286 - 04/25/17 12:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Ok, neither Dux nor MG mentioned it so I must.

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE.
Today we are privileged to celebrate together the 16th anniversary of SNAFU's long winded thread. Much of that wind comprising hot air from your truly, I have much to ask forgiveness for perhaps however I'll save that for a less festive moment..

Sixteen years ago, during the peak of the BoB sim's popularity, many of our members became dissatisfied for one reason or another and that developed into what we termed the "Flame Wars." Our 'Fearless Founder' SNAFU thought it would be a good idea to establish a "Flame-Free Zone where like minded members could keep their cool and post their BoB experiences and after mission accounts without the distractions of disturbing posts on the main page. he must have got it right because though he has been AWOL for over a decade now this thread goes on. Thanks to Dux, MG, PV1, myseelf and now Fittop HWH flies onward into the second half of another decade. If things continue as they are we may very well make it into the third half.... wink

Thank you all for being here. We have well over 19 million views and a thousand posts. We also thank our readers for their support. If they do not post we may not know who they are yet they do. Thank you anonymous souls. We all thank you. Wherever SNAFU may b, here on Earth, where he can easily light his cigars or learning to play an golden harp, I am sure he thanks us all for keeping his HWH alive.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4353354 - 04/25/17 10:41 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents, Congrats on 16th anniversary of this thread. Quick, we must bring the merry band of regular contributors together to prepare for celebrations! Dux will sort us for music I'm sure, JRT will no doubt provide the words (and that is meant in the nicest possible way Roger) Fittop will fall in as he sees fit, perhaps tapping the table or hum the bass, and I'll be doing the rounds on my newly acquired unicycle.

Roger, I'm familiar with Oracle's VirtualBox which makes it possible to emulate an entirely different OS on a separate virtual machine but this sounds not like the type of thing you're after. My trusty Chinese Total Security 360 does come with a Sandbox in which you can attempt to run dubious programs but I find very little use for it as I'm pretty careful with my downloads and if there is a problem the anti-virus software seems very competent to avoid running suspicious code.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4353456 - 04/25/17 05:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is not raining. The sun peeks out now and again and the current temp is 69F. We have a 7 MPH wind coming from the South. We received plenty of rain to last a while and the world is green and a bit soggy from what I can see of it. The mixed chorus of crickets and frogs not recently drowned will likely be both loud and cheerful tonight.

MG:

We all deserve equal congratulations. Who knows where we may all be a year from now? Or even "IF" we will be for that matter? "To be or not to be... etc." Dux helped write that. We should therefore celebrate together in friendship the many years we have had together and the many friends we have made who passed among us in those early years as well. Three cheers for SNAFU who started it all. Someone please wake Fittop and put a glass in his hand... no LeRoy, a full not empty glass. cheers

One cannot be too careful for there are some sick people out there who want to ruin our day just for fun. A sandbox is just another tool. Properly used it can isolate malware and viruses from your system and prevent damage even when you might be careless. I installed you flavor of antivirus on my phone. It has many excellent features. It turned out to be too big a drain on my meager resources. I am just experimenting to see what is out there and how it may or may not fill my needs.

The Molting Ostrich Dance

One evening down at the Prince & Polecat, in celebration of the HWH squadron's first anniversary, Olga was doing her best to emulate the famous Crimean striptease artist Gypsy Rose Leeski by performing her Molting Ostrich dance. You know, the dance where she comes out loaded with feathers and plucks each one off one by one as she dances about until they are all strewn about the floor and Olga is pretty much starkers. Kinda like the Biblical Seven Vales dance but with feathers. Anyway, she was no more than half way through the dense thicket of feathers when Dux, who was slouched over his glass at a corner table, was suddenly aroused (poor choice of words?). He sat up straight, blinked a few times, then shook his head to clear the cobwebs.

A bit wobbly on his sticks, he found he was suddenly upstanding and holding his large glass in his right fist. Right in the middle of Olga's dance he raised his glass high and, for no apparent reason, he shouted "God Save The King!" After that, he took a huge slug from the glass and fell unconscious to the floor rolling under the table. No one turned from the floor show to look his way. No one even bothered to take his pulse. Soon he was snoring away as happy as a card carrying member of the porcine family up to his jowls in excrement. If anyone had been watching they might have wondered how one pint of beer could have laid a man who was in such good standing with the local brewers that they put on a n extra shift every year on his birthday, could have been struck down so easily. None but one had noticed.

Startled, her attention was directed to the corner table by the unexpected shout "God Save The King", Olga had noticed. In fact, it is less likely that he passed out from a full load of the P&P's best bitter than from the heavy beer glass Olga had just clipped his temple with. She was not amused. Willy Hittum, star bowler for the Studley Grange 11 three-time all Derbyshire championship cricket team was not amused either. The same glass that hit Dux a glancing blow had ricocheted off and caught Willy under the left eye and removing a large bicuspid in the process. A tooth, he later pointed out in court, he had only just finished paying Dr. Kenny Numbit, the, local dentist, over 50 quid to replace along with about 31 others.

Being the champion bowler that he was, Willy had staggered over, picked up both his tooth and the heavy glass and angrily threw the glass back whence it had come. Unfortunately, although his aim was accurate, Dux's slowly settling head was still in the way. The heavy beer glass connected with the back of his head with a loud CLUNK! Down went the glass, and faster now, down went Dux to hit the floor and roll under the table.

In the corner, Willy was sitting down desperately trying to refit his tooth in his smile. Under the table, Dux was bloody but snoring peacefully. Out on the dance floor Olga had commenced her dance again as a thunderou.... lou.... charitable applause rose from the attentive audience. No one but Dux who was in possession of their reason dared risk upsetting Olga during her dance.... or at any other time for that matter. It was a memorable evening. Memorable for or everyone but Dux who had to rely on LeRoy's rather suspect memory to learn how much fun he had.

In court, Willy's legal representative Pickum, Washum and Drain claimed damages from Olga for the lost tooth. Willy was awarded 100 quid total for both the physical damages and his extreme depression resulting from vain man's damaged smile. Olga represented herself and was nice enough in court. However, according to the ambulance driver who picked him up one dark night, Willy seems to have paid for his taking Olga to court ... in the end. A person or persons unknown caught the bowler in the alley beside the P&P relieving himself and painfully removed a rather sensitive part of his anatomy with a dull Ukrainian butter knife. I cannot imagine who.

#4353465 - 04/25/17 05:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
I'm up! I'm awake!
But how did my lap get so wet? ...Oh :cheers
Here's to you guys! I for one, have certainly enjoyed reading your musings and stories.
I just saw that one of the apparently long-missed members has checked in.
I will now go and tend bar for you, the Illustrious ones.
Have enough beverages and adult drinks been ordered? I will go check.
Congratulations, all!

#4353482 - 04/25/17 07:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

We couldn't celebrate properly without you, our newest member, conscious and accounted for. wink It is a great time for patting on the back and reminiscences of happy days gone by, when conversations begin with "Remember when?" Whatever happened to?" Pssssst! Fittop, between you and I, if anyone should ask you to run over to Olga's place and pick up the cake she has baked for the occasion, if you value your life do not go. Find some reasonable way to respectfully decline. You won't be seen again for weeks. Dux was asked his first year and he came up with a doozie of an excuse. He had a large shiner and swollen nose at the time and claimed he was too ill to go for the cake. When asked what terrible affliction he was stricken with he said he had "Seenus" trouble. Everyone laughed and someone suggested he must mean "sinus" trouble. "Not a bit of it, said Dux." I was having a little tete a tete in a corner booth at the P&P with Colonel Cannonfodder's daughter and he seen us. Everyone had such a good laugh he got away with it.

You might try saying you are deathly allergic to Olga's homemade after shave lotion but that has been tried several times before with mixed results.

#4353664 - 04/26/17 03:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 66F. with clear skies it is not likely to snow or sleet today however there is quite a bit of flooding about due to recent heavy rain. Motorists have been stranded and part of highway 58 is under water east of here. Do not be concerned. We are on high ground and I am unlikely to be treading water in my upstairs bedroom anytime soon. Heavy spring rain can sometimes mean a hot, dry summer. That is something I should be concerned about.

wtdwdgldil
Sorry about that, Zena the Russian Blue cat's paws have not yet become accustomed to typing as my own two fingers have. She will, for the time being, have to tell me and let me translate for her. For those more familiar with the cat language than I let me apologize if what she typed was actually an expletive the SimHQ word police failed to censor. I fear the cat requires far more attention than i am willing to give her at this time of day and this can lead to squabbles and less than ladylike behavior on her part. I believe I have on occasion noticed that very same behavior in human women as well. I will have to look that up in the HWH Handbook sometime.

#4353778 - 04/26/17 10:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks, JRT,

Ok, now I understand. The invitation:

"eduglwiue;cfaecbaCDENIIFAIVRPRVJERUUR58UFT
WIOQdhdhwiehIJDIJEJFIHH4RQ9FU9ERFDJJDEW
QWGDG32IEWJDWEIHDEWIEWHDFIH8EW"

To which I responded:
" ...to answer your last entry, I did offer you a pickle and fries earlier, but I could go for a beer later."

That I assumed was from you, was actually from your Zena.

Ok, it's starting to make sense.
Either that, or I need more human contact.

#4353824 - 04/27/17 02:40 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

LOL. This could well break your heart my friend however I must admit to you that Zena has been reading over my shoulder and is now under the impression that a handsome tomcat resides in your house. In order to calm her down I mentioned that it is a very long walk to where you live, especially since your cat has had "the operation". True or not, she has at least stopped trying to get out the window.

Fellows:
Here below is a link to a YouTube, Timeline episode on the BoB. If you haven't watched it, I think you will enjoy it. Especially so if for some unthinkable reason you have always wanted to fly a Spitfire. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H23YtB6Cb9M

#4353943 - 04/27/17 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is 73 comfortable degrees outside at 10:30 AM on this sunny Thursday. I have had such a hard day..... Already I have dressed, made my bed, ate my cup of oatmeal seasoned with a pleasant tasting coffee creamer. Oh, you think that a bit odd do you? We are out of milk and I thought that mixed with water might be a good substitute. It was a very good one. One must think outside the cereal box sometime. Zena has been fed and watered. The duct tape on her mouth has been changed, I have turned the knob on the radio to "on", booted my notebook and launched the browser. Next I carefully navigated here to greet you. OK, there was no duct tape on the cat's mouth at any time although when she insisted i get up before the crack of noon I had considered it.

Firefox has had a major upgrade that sent several favored extensions down the Internet toilet. In November of this year all support for every extension not converted to a new standard will end. Chances are none of my extensions will work after that. I have read many complaints regarding the changes some from developers who say they will no longer update their extensions as it is too difficult to meet the new standard. This griping is not unusual. I won't complain. I will just switch back to IE or Chrome and wait for the dust to settle in Foxville.

Last night after the upgrade, I noticed my You Tube videos had become choppy. Looking for a fix, I went online and found several hundred million others had at one time or another experienced the same or similar problem. So many kindred sufferers is usually a good thing in that you are more likely to find many "Fixes" and one of these may be the medicine your computer needs. I found a fix that seems to have greatly improved my viewing pleasure. It seems Firefox saves its sessions at a default rate of about every 15 seconds. The "hack" I found on G-hacks website showed me how to change the setting to 100 seconds. That spread the conflict between Firefox and You Tube wider between events and I no longer notice it. In addition to all those other extremely tiring chores I mentioned I also got out my trusty computer log book in which I log any changes I make on my computers and copied down the relevant info should I forget the bookmark to G-Hacks or whatever. I highly recommend you use something similar. Having that info handy has saved me more than once.

I hope those of you who had not watched the BoB video I posted the link for have seen it now. I hope you liked it. I launched Chrome later on last night to see how You Tube videos ran on that. They ran really well. I watched a very interesting "Dogfights" episode on the Grumman Hellcat fighter. I don't know what computing system and simulation they use to make those. I surely would love to have something like it. The Hellcat replaced the shopworn but valiant Wildcat that held the far more agile A6M Zero at bay until the Hellcat arrived in the Pacific. The Hellcat had twice the horsepower of the obsolete Wildcat. It could climb and turn with the Zero It had 6 .50 cals and could out dive the Zero. This was important because the go-to tactic of any Zero driver finding himself in trouble was to dive away toward the sea.

The awesome Hellcat in the hands of a good pilot was a very nasty surprise for any experienced Zero pilot used to shooting down Wildcats for sport. Encountering a Hellcat was a nightmare for the poorly armored Zeros. Zooming upstairs expected the unwary Wildcat pilot who tried to follow to soon stall out and become easy prey. The man in the Zero might suddenly notice the big, blue nose of the "Wildcat" was still hanging on his tail at the top of his own climb! On his way down to a watery grave with his fuel tanks on fore and missing his tail, perhaps the Japanese pilot had just enough time to realize his mistake? Watch that one too. You should be able to find it.

Brother Fittop rightly mentioned to me that he had actually come here in the first place to read about aviation related topics and had stayed because he enjoyed reading our rather eclectic writings instead . He never meant to criticize of course however I do think this should remind us of how this thread began as purely aviation inspired. That said, perhaps we should all try to add more aviation oriented topics to our varied mix. That especially applies to me.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/27/17 03:38 PM. Reason: no empty space between Hellcat and fighter

#4354103 - 04/28/17 03:09 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks, JRT.
Your recommended film was very interesting. I'm glad I would not be the only one who might have a bit of a dance on the rudders and even the rest of flight controls trying to control a tail-dragger on the ground.
I have actually flown in a tail-wheeler only three times in my life, and seen the rudder dance twice.
So yes, that film and a few of the related others were one of the reasons for a late night last night.
Tonight I will again indulge in some virtual pleasure flying seeing if I can at least indulge in keeping the tail up a bit on take-off and down for a three-pointer.

#4354163 - 04/28/17 12:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Congratulations to you fellows on your 16th anniversary. A true milestone achieved only by your skills and tenacity.

Carry on.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4354213 - 04/28/17 03:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
the temp at noon is 77 degrees with a 3 mph breeze coming from the SW. We had some more rain last night and that will not improve the minor flooding that persists. It isn't "minor" for those most afflicted by it of course. It looks like a hot weekend with the mercury erupting into the 90s for the first time this year. The beautiful NC beaches will be crowded this weekend. Time to get out the suntan oil or barbecue sauce whichever you prefer.

Fttop:

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Bob video. The Hellcat video was also interesting. I am surprised I had missed that one on TV. I noticed that at least one "Dogfights" program was reputed to be made using IL2 1946. Probably a greatly modded version if so. That was the video titled Operation Bodenplatte (sp?) I remember that historical scenario from way back in the days I was playing Jane's WW2 Fighters. There is a lot of P47, P51 Vs 109, 190 action. A huge ir armada of german planes tried unsuccessfully to destroy Allied air bases i one swell foop as Woody Allen might say. Check that out too.

Most of us older guys took our flying lessons on a tail dragger. At our old municipal airport that was usually in an old yellow Piper Cub. A beautiful Steerman would have been nicer but the Cub did the job. I guess most military pilots learned on the T6, AT6 or SNJ Texan advanced trainer or in Canada the same plane called the Harvard. You would have seen that in the video. The texan originated from the North American NA-16 prototype. back in the 30s. I believe that in Korea and to a degree in Vietnam the T-6 was actually used as a FAC plane in support of CAS missions. AFAIK my first cousin never flew one in Vietnam. I think he flew an 0-1 Bird Dog.

I saw what seems to be an interesting video on the P38. I may check that out soon.

OG:

I guess you were here way back when some coder typed the first 1 or 0. You honor us old guys just by stopping by. Thank you on behalf of our members for your congratulations. The fellows do indeed deserve recognition for their dogged devotion to SimHQ, BoB and SNAFU's flame-free thread. Thank you most of all for reading and posting.

#4354372 - 04/29/17 08:52 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

The forecast for today is the same as it was for yesterday, and the day before that, and just about the entire week; cloudy, rainy, cold. Tomorrow should be sunny but slightly warmer, possibility for precipitation in the form of random showers, as is the forecast for Labour day May, 1st. I haven't yet watched the Bob docu Roger, I'm waiting for a rainy day..... oh, wait, you or Zena were about to pint out that today might be the perfect occasion to cast the docu to my 42" monitor and watch it in it's entirety. Well, it has to compete with transmission from the Formula 1 weekend in Sochi and countless videos on YouTube from recent IndyCar races. I've even seen uploads of classic races. All this only to point out that we apparently live in the age of Content; we had the Industrial Age, the Information Society and now it is the Content Age. When I was a kid, there was one TV channel to watch - in the beginning b&w, and lots of cultural high brow broadcasts about Jazz and Ingmar F****ing Bergman but no racing. These days as already indicated there's plenty of racing and precious little Jazz and still no Ingmar F***ing Bergman.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4354438 - 04/29/17 04:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We'll have a toasty day today. Already the thermometer is flirting with the mid 80s climbing steadily toward the low 90s. The sky is a beautiful light blue today with Old Sol beaming down powering up for the big heat-up this afternoon. There is a 10 mph wind from the SW with a humidity dripping into the 70% range. Tonight temps will not lift out of the high 60s and that usually heralds the onset of the more crispy season in Dixie.

MG:

I believe I detect the slightest bit of disfavor with a certain Director. Today racing must be far more accessible. It seems to me that NASCAR was not on our first B&W Crosley Super V TV back then and remained that way until the advent of cable TV in our area. Of course every town of any size had a dirt track where local drivers risked life and transmissions with souped-up engines screaming as they raced blindly around. This they did through thick red clouds of nearly impenetrable dust. This they did on weekends for a tiny purse and mostly for bragging rights. I well remember watching those races as a kid. The sound was incredible. Not until I stood on the flight line at SJ AFB as Phantoms or F15s rose from the hot Goldsboro runway in full afterburner did I experience sound so powerful it seemed to be all but lethal. With fingers pressed into my young ears I discovered you could actually feel the sound reaching down deep into my bones. I was thrilled.

There was this kid who had a terrible accident. He was cutting grass one afternoon and somehow the mower turned over and his foot slipped int othe whirling blades which cut off all the toes on his right foot. After a painful recovery the young fellow coped quite well through life.

IIn the fullness of time, the young man finished school and since his love of planes had grown and not the least bit diminished, he went to his local Air force recruiting office and signed up. On the appointed date he reported to the recruitment center at the capitol city and began the induction process. During his medical exam the physician noticed his foot had been seriously injured.

"I see that you lack toes on your foot son.", the doctor mentioned. "I had a mowing accident when I was a kid.", replied the hopeful new inductee. "Son, I'm very sorry to inform you that will mean you cannot be accepted by the US Air Force.", said the doctor with a sad expression. In shock after that, the fellow dressed, left the induction center, walked to the bus station and took the lonely trip home. Arriving in his hometown late in the afternoon the unhappy young man was surprised to bump into an old pal arriving on a different bus at the same time.

"Hey Jack, I thought you were on your way to basic training in Lackland Texas.", said Jack's pal. "Nope.", said Jack, in his saddest voice. "Why not?", asked Jack's friend. "Well buddy, I found out that the US Air Force is " Lack toes Intolerant", replied Jack with a rather sad grin.

After that low blow, your aching Solar Plexis may well be longing for another limerick

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/29/17 04:50 PM. Reason: not enough REM sleep last night

#4354546 - 04/30/17 08:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
"The Sun has got his Hat on, hip-hip-hip-hoorayh! The Sun has got his hat on and he's coming out Today!"

These words might not mean a lot to you gents across the pond but OldDux probably recognises the words (not from original release but from subsequent radio broadcasts I hasten to add), as they made up the refrain in a popular song; One of Ralph Butler & Noel Gay's collaborations, rendered by crooner Sam Browne with the incomparable Ambrose Band. It is from 1932 so of course the lyrics are dated and non pc in places. Even Afro-Americans and people living on the Equator can get a tan if they don't get out of the midday sun.

I did manage to check out the BoB docu that you recommended Roger and it turns out that I had already seen it. A very fine documentary to memorialise the BoB hosted by the Brothers Colin and Ewan MacGregor, one an actor, the other a former RAF pilot from 617 Squadron. Good interviews with surviving members of the Battle.

Ingmar F. Bergman. Wiki states; "His work often dealt with death, illness, faith, betrayal, bleakness and insanity". How wonderfully uplifting. No gents, I can just observe reality if I want to engage in thoughts about death, illness, faith, betrayal, bleakness and insanity. Asides, living in such close proximity to Sweden and relying on only one TV-channel, state-owned at that, and featuring jazz-loving, pipe smoking intellectuals as hosts, wearing tweed, corduroy and cashmere on-screen in the late sixties and early seventies extolling the virtues of said Bergman, at a young age I decided not to have anything to do with Bergman. Visually unmemorable and with little humour to soften the blows as I recollect his work. Just the lines from the Seventh Seal as they are being expressed in the Swedish language sound ridiculous; "Who are you?" "I am death". Oh well, why don't we have a game of chess then.

I wonder what would have happened, if Bergman had gone to Hollywood. Would he have made for lighter viewing? Lubitsch, Wilder, Bergman. The eclectic avantgarde pop duo Sparks dedicated a whole album of music to explore the potential of such a scenario in their opus; "The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman".

Someone coming to blows yesterday were A. Joshua and W. Klitschko . What a fight! Especially Rounds 5. 6 and 7 were intense, and of course, the conclusion to the fight.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4354584 - 04/30/17 03:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is not as warm here today as the 90s we saw yesterday. It is nearly 10::30 AM and the temp has rsen to 76F. We have an 11 MPH wind from the SW at the moment. Visibility is about 10 miles and the humidity 79 damp percent. I hesitate even mentioning the weather considering the terrible weather that struck Texas and the mid-west yesterday. I hope our pal Fittop and his family are safe.

MG:

Actually I am familiar with that happy song. And I remember where I heard it. I heard that song first when watching an episode of "Keeping Up Appearances". Emmet was cheerfully playing the piano in celebration of Hyacinth being away for a while. It is a lively tune indeed. I can easily imagine that being sung in elementary school class each morning. that being back before the war dimmed prospects for clear skies not yet darkened by Axis bombers and well before city children were being sent from their homes to be shipped off to the relatively safer country on big British buses .

I am glad you had seen the doc. It is a good one that I believe worth recommending. YouTube has far more interesting videos, it seems to me, than just a few years ago. Maybe I simply have learned more about searching them out? I was surprised how many fascinating historical films there are. Just the number of docs. from our PBS posted there are large. I can watch newer PBS shows on Roku and the older shows on YouTube.

That 11 round encounter in England was indeed a bruiser. My favorite boxers of all time are Ali and Marciano. What a fight that would have been if they had ever been in the ring together when they were both at their peak. There have been computer "what if" programs that pitted the two against one another. We will never know how that might have played out for sure. Neither will we ever know what Ali's record might have been had he not been unfairly IMHO deprived of his title all that time.

I am not a huge fan of Bergman films either. I do not know what might have happened if Bergman had been influenced by the economic pressures of Hollywood. Even more in question would be the effect upon his films had he gone to Bollywood.... wink At least one Bergman made a huge success and a long career in Hollywood. That would be Ingrid. Even with the worldwide scandal she endured (without apology) which forced her from Hollywood for a time she became a giant international star.

#4354758 - 05/01/17 03:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

In case your calendar isn't handy, it is the very first day of the merry month of May. The temp here is a toasty 76° F. We have a 13 mph wind from the S, 76 drippy percent humidity and 10 mile visibility at 10:30 AM as I begin to type with nary a clue what to write about. I doubt it will excite you much that we finally bought gas and began the task of cutting the grass for the first time this year. Maybe I should rephrase that "We business". I had nothing to do with it. My grandson loves to cut grass. I am highly allergic to fresh cut grass, I always have been. I took a regime of allergy shots in my teens that did help a lot but did not help with my grass allergy. Also, in the interest of truth I might add that when I said the grass was cut I might have pointed out that an exceptionally large portion of the "grass" was Dandelions. We have quite a good crop of those this year. Although that bumper crop of bright yellow blooms has been in evidence for several weeks, not one neighbor has inquired as to how we managed it. The kids love to wait until they are seeding and blow the seeds into the wind for luck. Apparently there is some truth to that at least for the weeds.

When I think of Dandelions I always think of little feet unencumbered by shoes running through cool grass on sunny, sultry days of summer. When I was a little guy I do not think any kid in my neighborhood touched a pair of shoes except on Sundays from the last day of school to the first day of school the next fall. That changed when the first commercial for canvas and rubber tennis shoes hit our 17" B&W TV screens. We all had to have a pair of those. I easily remember my first pair. They were so comfortable and light I hardly knew I had them on. Although I ran right out of the house to test them I was not the least discouraged that I could not quite break the sound barrier as those kids in the PF Fliers commercial seemed to be able to do. Leather shoes, though fashionable, were clunky and heavy. They slowed you down, they were hot and easily scuffed. After the first shake down cruise about the neighborhood during which I had several races with other kids also wearing new tennis shoes, I forgot I even had shoes on.

I hope Fittop will check in soon so we'll know he and his loved ones are OK after those nasty twisters. It would appear that Dux has found the birding in Wales to be as good as the fishing. On the other hand, he may have discovered some other pleasant pastime. Maybe he joined a naturist colony and is suffering from mosquito bites and sunburn? Perhaps he was playing his electric bass in the rain again and had another shocking experience? There are so many possibilities...

#4354762 - 05/01/17 03:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
12 degree C, that's right! We hit double digit temperatures today but it was necessary to find a quiet spot out of the wind because 28 m/s made the biking tres fun in one direction and trop triste in the other direction. French elections coming up soon you see. John W. Lennon once wrote ih is "A Spaniard in the Works"; "we must not forget the General Erection".

Dandelions you say? Yes, we have them here a plenty as well. I collected a few this afternoon briefly contemplating is I should use them for soup or in a salad but decided against it as I didn't bother the cleaning up part of the process. Removing dirt and washing the harvest seemed a rather boring prospect to me.

Yes, May 1st and the day off today. Currently a miniseries is broadcast here about Danish fighter pilots and some of the action takes place in Grove, or Karup as it has become known, where I was with the Air Force myself doing that national (dis)Service, so many years ago. Episode 2 is on tonight.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4354798 - 05/01/17 06:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

My friend 53° F. does not seem all that spring-like to moi. If it is that warm at least the snow must be gone or going. Snow lasts about a day or two around these parts. We expect temps down in that range Wednesday and Thursday nights however. Daytime temps should stay in the mid to high 70s F. range. The front that caused all the trouble in the west is passing through NC right now. We have 15 to 30 MPH wind gusts from the south beating against my window. There was a heavy shower from that an hour ago. It is expected that as it crosses our western mountains it will lose much of its power and most of it will go north. we may get a soaking late tonight. Folks are still drying out from the heavy rain and flooding around here that came last week.

MAY Day. We no longer celebrate that date since the cold war. However, I remember the big deal we made about that date way back in the early 50s at our elementary school. It was a big deal requiring home-made costumes, dancing, singing and all done out doors on the playing field. There was a large wooden stage built to hold the local dignitaries complete with chairs, fake grass floor and several huge loud speakers attached to the sides. We practiced for weeks. There was a May Pole dance and, as the representative of my class I stood on the field as a flag bearer. My grandmother made my costume and it was beautiful but a little scratchy on that hot day. That is what I remember most about it. That hot sun beating down, the sound of the loud speakers and the large crowd of spectators. It was a bigger deal than when the Emperor of Ethiopia visited our town and his motorcade passed our school. Later that day, I had an emperor in my backyard for about 30 seconds. Frankly, as a kid I was underwhelmed by the majesty but respectful nonetheless.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 05/01/17 06:34 PM. Reason: too many words

Page 505 of 608 1 2 503 504 505 506 507 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.