Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4352417 - 04/20/17 10:45 PM AI "Enhanced" Enough  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
So a week ago I posted a question about the "Enhanced AI' option in the Workshop. You can see it here: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4350927/ai-enhanced-skill-level#Post4350927

Well, I think I've learned my lesson! Because I've survived one heck of a scrap, gents!

I started a "Pre-Bloody April" campaign with RFC 19. My pilot, David "Jinks" Jenkins has been assigned to a SPAD VII, one of the more unusual aircraft to find yourself in when serving in the Royal Flying Corps! I began my campaign in early February 1917, in the hopes that Jinks could get up to speed before the real mayhem starts sixty days later.

On his first mission, which was a simple scout patrol to the Front and back, Jinks' squadron leader dove after a scattered flight of Roland CII's. I say scattered because by my count there were four of them, but none were intent on maintaining their formation. Jinks held back, and assessed how to attack. Finally, he sized up one of the Rolands, which was painted green with red wheels and a red spinner. He finally committed to attack, and made a diving pass - opening fire and struggling to hit his target while the wind buffeting kept knocking his guns off range. The Roland's rear gunner opened up and sure enough, hit his SPAD with a few well-aimed shots.

The machine seemed intact, so Jinks turned back and made another swiping attack, hitting the Roland a few times with his second pass. But he got a little overconfident and stayed within the German's guns for a moment too long.

*BAM*

Two rounds hit the SPAD's engine, splattering oil all over the windscreen and essentially blinding Jinks. The engine was knocking badly and it was obvious that a cylinder had been shot out. Jinks rolled and dived for home - with a friendly base about 8 miles from his location at the Front.

It looked like he was well and truly clear of trouble. There were no fighters around. The Roland he attacked maintained its heading and was intent on heading for home. Jinks' wingmen were engaged with another Roland in the distance, and the faint crack of gunfire meant that they were still very much on the attack.

And then, Jinks looked behind and saw something he had struggled to comprehend: Two Rolands - these painted green without any red splashes of paint - were diving on his tail! Even as he crossed into Entente territory and tried to fly as low as possible (partly to entice friendly ground fire to help clear his tail), the Rolands continued to give chase and closed the range to the damaged SPAD. Sure enough, these two Rolands, flying line astern, had no intent of breaking off. As his engine rattled and creaked, Jinks realized that a friendly base was not going to be an option. So he began peering past his oil spattered windscreen for a clear field to put his SPAD down in.

The cloudy and socked in weather made seeing ground obstacles difficult. He began to throttle back and for a moment, thought he was safe to land, only to spot a fence line racing towards him at high speed! He quickly jerked the controls back, yanking the SPAD awkwardly back up into the air.

As he did, he heard the unmistakable sound of gunfire behind him!

*BAM*

Another salvo of bullets hit his SPAD, this time tearing his upper wing. The Roland's were now within firing range, and were essentially strafing him as he tried to land. The plane lurched, coughed, and finally crashed down into a clear field, hitting some undergrowth and (possibly) another fence. As the lower wings shredded, the engine coughed once more and died out.

Still the gunfire continued and the hits mounted.

This time, the rear gunners of the Roland's took their turn at Jink's disabled SPAD as it sat, smoking, on the ground.

Sure enough, they made one final pass, hit the plane a few more times, and then strode off into the cloudy horizon, back to their side of the lines.

In all of my years of flying, I've never been chased by a pair of two-seaters, let alone attacked with such impunity, even while landing!!

In other words... WOFF's AI is still more than enough for me. No enhancement needed!

Cheers! cheers

#4352426 - 04/20/17 11:30 PM Re: AI "Enhanced" Enough [Re: CaptSopwith]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
That must have been a real white knuckle ride down to the the ground, Capt! Those Roland's are some tough birds, particularly when manned by aggressive pilots and observers. Glad you survived.

Out of curiosity, what did you wind up setting the Enhanced AI setting to?

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4352444 - 04/21/17 01:16 AM Re: AI "Enhanced" Enough [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ugh, I hate Rolands. I've even devoted videos to my displeasure of them...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4352518 - 04/21/17 01:07 PM Re: AI "Enhanced" Enough [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
That must have been a real white knuckle ride down to the the ground, Capt! Those Roland's are some tough birds, particularly when manned by aggressive pilots and observers. Glad you survived.

Out of curiosity, what did you wind up setting the Enhanced AI setting to?

Hi BuckeyeBob. I run the sim in it's stock settings - so Enhanced AI is switched off.

@Rick_Rawlings - I was amazed at how difficult the Roland was. I haven't engaged one in quite some time and they respond a bit more like a fighter than some lumbering two-seater. A very nasty surprise!

#4352708 - 04/22/17 12:46 AM Re: AI "Enhanced" Enough [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yes, and then they have guns in the FRONT and the BACK! In the game they are kind of Brisfit-ish, not sure how that jibes with real life...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4352833 - 04/22/17 07:15 PM Re: AI "Enhanced" Enough [Re: CaptSopwith]  
RAF28Jenks Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'
RAF28Jenks  Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'

Kentucky
Hair raising for sure!
That name sounds familiar too !!

RAF28Jenks
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
RBWL 3 - 2002

#4352834 - 04/22/17 07:19 PM Re: AI "Enhanced" Enough [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Yes, and then they have guns in the FRONT and the BACK! In the game they are kind of Brisfit-ish, not sure how that jibes with real life...

If I recall correctly, the Roland was sometimes used in fighter appropriate roles because of it's ability to maneuver. I'm not sure if it was as good as the Brisfit but it definitely drove my SPAD to the ground!

Originally Posted by RAF28Jenks
Hair raising for sure!
That name sounds familiar too !!

Hiya Jenks! How have you been? I didn't even think of that when I rolled out my pilot (been going alphabetically) but yeah... something must have jogged in my memory! Good to see you!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse