Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4352224 - 04/20/17 12:14 AM Rome II Total War  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Hi all,

On a whim, I recently got back into Rome II. I am curious if anyone is still playing this game and wanted to start a thread to discuss it, if there is interest.

I resumed an old saved game that was pretty far along, in the 80's BC. I have been having a blast with it. I love how immersive the game feels...I think they have done a great job creating the vibe of that time period (as they do with most, if not all, of their titles, IMO).

I noticed a few quirks of my own gameplay experience. I have recently begun monkeying around with formations, etc., and playing my battles a little more realistically. For example, I will use some infantry to do the fighting in a city siege, but I will send my unengaged units through town in a column. It looks really cool and has made for some neat screenshots. I guess I have artificially lengthened the battles a bit...dragging them out intentionally (because I think they are rather quick). Curious if anyone else does that?

I can't help but wish that there was a little more functionality to the diplomacy side of the game. At this point, there really isn't much use trying to make nice with any of the factions that remain. They all hate me due to expansionism. Pretty much the only time anyone approaches me diplomatically, it is to try and extort money from me. i.e. some small single region country that wants an outrageous sum for a defensive alliance, or the like.

Regardless, I still find that I truly enjoy this game, and I am really thankful that CA not only released a sequel to the first Rome TW, with all the graphical improvements, etc., but that they also continued development and got us from the rocky start to the great game we have today.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4352227 - 04/20/17 12:43 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
The Legion moves to occupy the town:

[Linked Image]

Pass in review:

[Linked Image]

Over the top:

[Linked Image]

Into the breach:

[Linked Image]

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
#4352238 - 04/20/17 03:07 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Aeronautico Offline
Aeronautico  Offline

Milan, Italy
Nice screens, I know how that historical setting can be captivating. thumbsup

Yes, Rome II is less than perfect but still a very solid game, in my opinion too. The flavour the legions of Rome can give to a strategy game is always remarkable. You may want to try Attila, to maintain the same setting (sort of) and have diplomatic and managing features expanded, for a deeper experience.

Airplanes are now built to carry a pilot and a dog in the cockpit: the pilot's job is
to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything...

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot
#4352243 - 04/20/17 04:17 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: Aeronautico]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by Aeronautico
Nice screens, I know how that historical setting can be captivating. thumbsup

Yes, indeed! I went to Italy and fell in love with it! Came back and studied History (with a focus on ancient Rome) and minored in Latin, haha. Its safe to say it had a slight impression on me. I was fortunate enough to go back afterward and it was even more amazing to me. You're blessed to live there!

Here are a few more screens:

Butchering provincials is hard work.

[Linked Image]

Arrayed for battle.

[Linked Image]

Pila at the ready.

[Linked Image]

#4352245 - 04/20/17 04:30 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Aeronautico Offline
Aeronautico  Offline

Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by VMIalpha454
Yes, indeed! I went to Italy and fell in love with it! Came back and studied History (with a focus on ancient Rome) and minored in Latin, haha. Its safe to say it had a slight impression on me. I was fortunate enough to go back afterward and it was even more amazing to me. You're blessed to live there!

It is a pleasure to read such things. You are lucky to have that kind of sensitivity. smile

Airplanes are now built to carry a pilot and a dog in the cockpit: the pilot's job is
to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything...

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot
#4352278 - 04/20/17 10:44 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yes... still love the game, although I'm not very good at it smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4352282 - 04/20/17 11:19 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I have over 2,000 hours in Rome 2 according to Steam. You could say that I enjoy the game and still play it. smile

I'm actually currently playing a coop campaign with a friend from SimHQ.

As for me, my favorite factions are definitely Rome, Carthage and Macedonia.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/20/17 01:27 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4352406 - 04/20/17 10:01 PM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I just unlocked the Marian reforms for the first time, so I am excited to use the new professional units in battle! For me, it is hard to get away from Rome as my faction...I just really have a passion for that particular nation's history. I have, however, played a bit as Macedon and I played through the Wrath of Sparta...both of which were great fun. For whatever reason, I have played hundreds of hours in this game but never played all the way through the main campaign. I made a significant amount of progress in Age of Augustus but got burnt out, I guess. Never finished it.

Trooper, are you using a mod or are those uniforms the stock game's post-Marian uniforms?

Last edited by VMIalpha454; 04/20/17 10:01 PM.

#4352439 - 04/21/17 12:14 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
For those of you who are still playing Rome II, what are your favorite things about the game? Anything unique in your approach to the game that you'd care to share?

#4352499 - 04/21/17 11:02 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
For those of you who are still playing Rome II, what are your favorite things about the game? Anything unique in your approach to the game that you'd care to share?

Top 3 things I like:

1. The overall immersion and artwork in the game is first rate.

2. The large number of playable and unique factions.

3. The 3D battles for the most part are engaging and fun even though the AI can be stupid at times.

There are only 2 things that I dislike about the game though,

1. The agents (especially the spies and champions) are way too effective. They need to be nerfed a bit.

2. The possibility of having a civil war within your Roman faction due to having too high of a family political influence in the Augustus campaign even though the ENTIRE PREMISE of that campaign is the impending civil war between Lepidus, Octavian and Anthony. It's just silly.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4352697 - 04/21/17 11:50 PM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
1. The agents (especially the spies and champions) are way too effective. They need to be nerfed a bit.

I totally agree. In my current game, there has been a ton of agent fighting, particularly when I began to conquer Britannia. Nearly every time I attempted to attack with a legion it ended up ravaged by agents. It seemed unrealistic, but I did enjoy the challenge. It made finally subduing that region pretty satisfying.

2. The possibility of having a civil war within your Roman faction due to having too high of a family political influence in the Augustus campaign even though the ENTIRE PREMISE of that campaign is the impending civil war between Lepidus, Octavian and Anthony. It's just silly.

I didn't realize that was a possibility, lol! Looks like someone probably just forgot to disable that function for the DLC campaign.

#4352775 - 04/22/17 01:08 PM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK

Trooper, are you using a mod or are those uniforms the stock game's post-Marian uniforms?

Yes a mod, but I binned all mods awhile back and can't remember which one it was, lol!

#4352779 - 04/22/17 01:32 PM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I read posts like this about older games and get the urge to throw them back in and take a spin

Russ
Semper Fi
#4353815 - 04/27/17 01:24 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: rwatson]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by rwatson
I read posts like this about older games and get the urge to throw them back in and take a spin

Why not, Russ? That's one thing I love about a great game... If you do take Rome II for another spin, you should post some screens on here to show us what you're getting into!

#4353873 - 04/27/17 10:56 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm currently playing a coop campaign with a friend from SimHQ. We're playing the Imperator Augustus campaign. He's Lepidus and I'm playing as Egypt. We have taken most of Africa already!

#4354065 - 04/28/17 12:08 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I'm currently playing a coop campaign with a friend from SimHQ. We're playing the Imperator Augustus campaign. He's Lepidus and I'm playing as Egypt. We have taken most of Africa already!

That sounds really fun. I was unaware coop campaigns were possible. I have only ever played a handful of online battles in Rome II. I had fun, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I will have to look into the coop campaigns though because that sounds awesome!

#4354143 - 04/28/17 11:25 AM Re: Rome II Total War [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

That sounds really fun. I was unaware coop campaigns were possible. I have only ever played a handful of online battles in Rome II. I had fun, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I will have to look into the coop campaigns though because that sounds awesome!

The coop campaign mode was introduced with Shogun II and yes, they are a LOT of fun to play.

Napoleon TW only had head to head campaigns.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.