Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2333702 - 09/08/07 08:41 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Gatticus]  
Mick Offline
Mick  Offline

UK
Here's a little gem that I always use. SIW, very similar to Sisoft Sandra, except it's a freebie.

http://www.gtopala.com/

If Salvador Dali had a PC, Would it have a surreal port?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2357339 - 10/13/07 08:05 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Mick]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Take almost all the above links and toss them into one site....here ya go

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads2.html

#2620553 - 11/21/08 01:25 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Stormtrooper]  
JAS39 Offline
JAS39  Offline

NYC

Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD
#2930294 - 12/31/09 03:41 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: JAS39]  
Papa_K Offline
Papa_K  Offline

Anchorage, AK
bump

Anandtech Forums: "The LCD Thread"
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226

Table of Contents
i. Preface
ii. Conventions
iii. Primer
I. Panel Types
II. Technology and Limitations
III. Multimedia LCDs/Input Options
IV. Specifications
V. Recommendations (Post II)
VI. Using Your LCD
Appendix A. A Few Words About "Panel Lotteries"
Appendix B. Additional Resources
Appendix C. LCD Module Manufacturers
Appendix D. Issues with Specific Models
Appendix E. Glossy LCDs Listing

#3010939 - 05/12/10 09:16 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Gatticus]  
BuckeyeOne Offline
BuckeyeOne  Offline

Ohio
I can't find a "search" function for these forums..have I missed something?

Aim at perfection. Even if you miss 'tis better than aiming at imperfection and succeeding.
My Rig:
O/S: Windows 7
Chasis: ThermalTake Kandalf LCS (liquid cooled)
MB: XFX nForce 790I Ultra SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.15GHz
Power: 1000W Cooler Master
RAM: 4gig Corsair DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz
Video: 4gig DDR3 Nvidia 9800 GX2 in Quad SLI.
Storage: 120gig, 500gig, 150gig
Monitor: HP 2710
Thrustmaster Warthog and MFDs, TrackIR 5
#3214658 - 02/22/11 11:02 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
I have just bought a P8P67 board based system and was on the point of returning the PSU and VGA crad when I found the following thread:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/910402-asus-p67-series-information-thread-drivers.html

All the resources you will ever need (and updated) on page 1 and then 144 pages of discussion of the various problems and their resolution.

Believe me, if you buy a board with this chipset, you will almost certainly need this info. The one I bought that arrived last Friday had BIOS v1003 on it - the current is v1305 - so you can see how old it is, with around half a dozen updates in between.

BIOS flashing in the new EFI BIOS is very very simple. It's a matter of clicking on the EZ Flash update button, then simply browsing to the BIOS ROM image on your PC and clicking on it (just like in Explorer - only its from the BIOS itself).

Don't be disheartened by the number of pages in that thread - my issues were resolved by the time I got to page 14.

And now I am very happy with my awesome system! thumbsup

Asus P8P67 Pro
Intel i5 2500K SandyBridge
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 6GB
Gigabyte GTX560Ti OC
Corsair ModXStream 700W psu
HAF922 case
Big GRIN! biggrin

Flash

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#3214718 - 02/22/11 12:53 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands

#3852288 - 10/21/13 06:52 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
RAF_Roy Offline
EAW Bodger
RAF_Roy  Offline
EAW Bodger

So. California - U.S.A.
GEGeek - PC Tech Reference
http://www.gegeek.com/

GEGeek Tech Toolkit - Have all your Tech Related Apps running from a
USB⁄Flash drive and never have to re-install them again. Never!
http://www.gegeek.com/documents/85BB69B2F05486B9332CEA18B8D6E4BE690ADA38.html

And my own new small site (under construction) has useful security information you should know:

http://www.badarray.com/security.html

Roy's || Tally Ho Pages
#3855456 - 10/29/13 05:01 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
RAF_Roy Offline
EAW Bodger
RAF_Roy  Offline
EAW Bodger

So. California - U.S.A.
PAE problem timesaver tip:

Deciding which OS to run after Windows XP support expires in april 2014 with your old laptop? Well I am too.

When shopping be sure to check the release notes to see if it needs your CPU to have PAE capability.

Physical Address Extensions, or PAE are not supported in most 400 MHz-bus versions of the Pentium M
Exactly what I have, although its a Celeron M on a Dell laptop!
(btw it isnt's VT capable either which means I can't use any recent VMWare either)

Why its important is in choosing the Linux or BSD or other, you will need to know what the build supports. Otherwise you get all settled on a distro only to find out its the wrong distro or build for your CPU.

Meaning = you can't use it!

To quote wikipedia page below, in the Linux section:
Quote:
A PAE-enabled Linux kernel requires that the CPU also support PAE. The Linux kernel supports PAE as a build option and major distributions provide a PAE kernel either as the default or as an option. As of 2009,[19] some common Linux distributions have started to use a PAE-enabled kernel as the distribution-specific default.[19] As of 2012, common Linux distributions have stopped distributing non-PAE kernels, thus making PAE hardware mandatory - examples being Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS from version 6.0, Ubuntu (and derivatives like Linux Mint) from 12.10.[20] Fedora and Debian still distribute both PAE and non-PAE kernels.

Also some BSD other OS you better check this first.
Read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Now, you need to know how to check your CPU, read this:

http://www.itechtics.com/how-to-check-if...espeed=noscript

So then you know you go to get the coreinfo utility at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722

to run that open a command prompt, type:
coreinfo
and it will output to the (dos)command window
or to put output to a text file do:
coreinfo >corenfo.txt

if you see this, like I have:
Code:
PAE       	-	Supports > 32-bit physical addresses

No * in the output = means NOT. It does NOT support PAE. Sorry.

Sad because it rules out Lubuntu 13.04 which might be a good replacement for XP (Can still use 12.04 but not sure if I want to do that)

Also, note that Windows 8 will only run on processors which support PAE, in addition to NX and SSE2.
(Not that that matters to me, since I would never use Windows 8 by choice, and it would never run on an old laptop like this anyway)

The Intel Processor ID utility (google it) does not specify PAE, so this is hard to figure out, unless you know this.

I'm a trained PC Tech and do some programming and did not realize this. Yes I know how to use BSD and Linux so its not a big issue to me to find another distro, but glad I saw this in the Lubuntu release notes.

So hopefully this post saves someone some time.

p.s. http://distrowatch.com/ is a good place to start if you are looking for a Linux or BSD distribution.

Last edited by RAF_Roy; 10/29/13 05:07 AM. Reason: grammar

Roy's || Tally Ho Pages
#3909128 - 02/08/14 09:00 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
RAF_Roy Offline
EAW Bodger
RAF_Roy  Offline
EAW Bodger

So. California - U.S.A.
Burn a 'live' .iso to usb (usually for booting Linux or a rescue tool disk, gparted or etc) stick or thumbdrive tip:

use rufus - http://rufus.akeo.ie/

use checkbox 'create a bootable disk using' - ISO image - then browse icon to the .iso location
keep defaults for other settings generally. FAT32 usually.

It takes only about 20 -30 minutes or less and you're done (for say a 2 - 4 GB image)

There is also unetbootin - http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ it has more abilitites.
However, here is what I found; it annoyingly took up to 7 hours for the same disk..!
Maybe I had the wrong settings and it downloaded the stuff I needed (Linux).. which it can do.
But I was not intending that, but I was stuck doing some 'musical pc's and drives chairs' so to speak and at the time I did not wish to abort.

Both of these small tools don't have a lot of details on their use in the interface, but they are standards now.

Last edited by RAF_Roy; 02/08/14 09:05 PM.

Roy's || Tally Ho Pages
#4301215 - 10/06/16 07:42 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

New Linux How To - Tutorial is up!

Got Mint? How I got Linux Mint 18 Mate edition Installed, saving my Laptop by making it a Dual-Boot

oh and to burn a cd or dvd .iso to USB on Windows use Win32 Disk Imager Its the easiest program ever.
Just
1 - insert the USB in Windows
2 - with windows format it with fat32
3 - Run Win32 Disk Imager, select the .iso image from your disk
4 - select the USB drive
5 - Burn and you're done.

Using this it made a USB bootable disk from the Linux Mint 18 Mate 64 bit bootable DVD .iso
which I then used to install Linux on a UEFI system.

✅ Roy's EAW Addons â“EAW HS ⛽ EAW Tally-Ho
♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4309784 - 11/07/16 04:55 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Disable Nvidia Telemetry tracking on Windows

In the case of Nvidia, Telemetry gets installed alongside the driver package. While you may -- and should -- customize the installation of the Nvidia driver so that only the bits that you require are installed, there is no option to disable the Telemetry components from being installed. These do get installed even if you only install the graphics driver itself in the custom installation dialog.

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4314983 - 11/24/16 08:22 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

The Robolinux Stealth VM Software for Ubuntu

Robolinux, a distribution project designed to ease the transition from Windows to Linux with the help of a pre-configured VirtualBox addition running Windows XP or Windows 7, has released installable DEB files for Ubuntu and Linux Mint Stealth VM For Ubuntu & derivatives these packages provide an easy-to-use wizard for installing a licensed copy of Windows that would run in a virtual environment alongside Linux: "What many Windows XP users want to do is run Windows applications inside Ubuntu or their Ubuntu derivative.
In a few clicks the Windows XP or Windows 7 virtual machine is instantly built and fully configured and ready to go. Then you simply load your Windows disk and programs.

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4330031 - 01/20/17 09:01 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

MediCat DVD is a bootable troubleshooting environment that ships with Linux and Windows boot environments, and troubleshooting tools.

MediCat DVD comes in four different flavors;

MediCat DVD -- This is the name giving distribution. It includes the PortableApps Suite, Linux boot environments and a full working mini Windows 10 WinPE Boot Environment.
MediaCat DVD Naked -- Like MediCat DVD, but without the PortableApps Suite.
Mini Windows 10 x64 -- Windows 10 WinPE Boot Environment, and PortableApps Suite.
Mini Windows 10 x64 Naked -- Like the one above, but without the PortableApps Suite.

The main distribution, MediCat DVD as a size of 7.5 Gigabytes. The naked variant size of 5.05 GB, the Windows 10 x64 distribution 3.94 GB, and naked Windows 10 distribution 1.47 Gigabyte.

The main menu displays various options. You can start one of the bootable operating systems included with the distribution, or access diagnostic, repair and troubleshooting tools instead that MediCat ships with.

64-Bit windows Recovery: Choice of Microsoft or Easy Recovery options for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.
Hard Disk Tools: includes currently Acronis TrueImage 2017, GParted, Norton Ghost 11.5, Paragon Hard Disk Manager, PloP Boot Manager, SpinRite, SuperGrubDisk, Darik's Boot and Nuke.
Diagnostic Utilities: includes currently Hardware Detection Tool Memtest86+, TestDisk / PhotoRec / LiliPad, Ultimate Boot Cd.
Scan for Viruses: this launches Comodo Rescue Disk currently only.
Remove User Account Passwords: Active Password Changer, Daossoft Windows Password Rescuer, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, PCUnlocker, Boot Kon-Boot CD.

You may boot in any of the available operating systems.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-dvd-a-multiboot-linux-dvd.361577/

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4334491 - 02/03/17 09:23 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Firefox 52: how to keep on using plugins

from ghacks;
http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/03/firefox-52-how-to-keep-on-plugins/

'Firefox 52 will be the first release version of the Mozilla Firefox web browser that will ship without support for NPAPI plugins.
The only exception is that Firefox 52 will support Adobe Flash.

You may want to block updates of Firefox 51.x to avoid being upgraded to Firefox 52.
It is not really advised as it means that security updates won't become available.

Provided that you want to stay with Firefox, the best course of action at the time is to switch from Firefox Stable to Firefox ESR before the update to Firefox 52.
Firefox 52.0 ESR will be released alongside Firefox 52.0. This is good news for anyone requiring plugins, as Firefox 52.0 ESR will continue to support plugins whereas Firefox 52.0 won't.
A full Extended Support Release cycle lasts seven full releases. This means that you will be able to use plugins in Firefox ESR until March 2018.
Another option that you have is to install a Firefox ESR release next to Firefox Stable, and use it exclusively for sites and services that require plugins."
'
Code:
Step 1: Update channel-prefs.js

First thing you do is update the file channel-prefs.js. You find the file in the Firefox installation directory on your system.

The default installation directories are

32-bit Firefox Windows -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
    64-bit Firefox Windows -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
    Linux -- /usr/lib/firefox-version
    Mac Os X -- /Applications/Firefox.app

You find the file under defaults\prefs\, 
e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\prefs\channel-prefs.js

Open the file in a plain text editor, and replace the line

pref("app.update.channel", "release");

with

pref("app.update.channel", "esr");
Step 2: Modify update-settings.ini

firefox without plugins solution

The second file that you need to modify is update-settings.ini. It is located in the root folder of the Firefox installation, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox.

Change the line

ACCEPTED_MAR_CHANNEL_IDS=firefox-mozilla-release

to

ACCEPTED_MAR_CHANNEL_IDS=firefox-mozilla-esr

and save the file.

'

'Mike notes that you should make the change as close to the release of Firefox 52 ESR as possible. The release is on March 7, 2017.

Another option that you have is to install Firefox ESR directly on your system, and start using it. The new installation will pick up the profile that you used up until now.

Please note though that Firefox 45.x ESR may not support certain features yet that Mozilla implemented in Firefox 46 to 51. Some add-ons or features may not be yet available because of the nature of ESR releases.'

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/03/17 09:25 PM.

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4336704 - 02/12/17 11:24 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

-- from gHacks;
"
A comprehensive list of Firefox privacy and security settings
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/18/a-comprehensive-list-of-firefox-privacy-and-security-settings/

Ghacks.net Firefox privacy and security user.js 0.11 is out
http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/12/ghacks-net-firefox-user-js-config-0-11-is-out/

.."The privacy and security list

You can download the most recent version of the list..

Alternatively, you may load a custom HTML version of the list: User.js Light or User.js Dark, and load the changelog directly as well.

Make sure you check the changelog"
-------
-------

Aside from that (Privacy settings) I prefer to set about : config by hand rather than DL a .js file.
Also that version has a ton of refernces urls, very nice wink
I use the html version for reference:
light (white webpage background) or I prefer the dark version: w colored fonts, very nice.
http://www.ghacks.net/files/user.js%20[ghacks]-0.11-dark.html

btw; Like that html and css (webpage code) very much. I do html4 and css2 mostly by hand.

--
OT//(Actually I use add-on "Privacy Settings"
http://firefox.add0n.com/privacy-settings.html
it has most of these can set and switch various modes for security and/or privacy or compatibility with amouse click
This add-on is not real well known. I found out about it from a reference of a very good security programmer. It is great!
--
Im using firefox 51.0.1 - Linux 64, add-ons; NoScript, RequestPolicy Continued, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Settings..
..and UBlock Origin and UMatrix.
Also looking at Decentraleyes which is a great concept I think.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/22/17 07:53 AM. Reason: updated stuff I'm using

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4339857 - 02/23/17 11:10 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

How To Boot a Linux Mint or Ubuntu (and other Linux) iso from a hard disk. Especially to install the Distribution.

You can also use this method for a sort of do-it-yourself Docker type thing. Or Multiboot system or cloner backup / restorer to system for system .iso images.

• ^^Prerequisite - Und Warnung!
    1. A mbr system is required for this method.
    2. This method assumes you either already have modern GRUB2 (not legacy Grub) installed Or want to install it - on which case you can further read-up on it and adapt the method very easily.)
    3. You do not have an EFi / UEFI / Secure Boot or other system
      While you can boot a bootble disk image .iso on an EFI system it requires another method and more reading !
    4. You have a bootable and installable Distribution Disk .iso
      (Although you can simply use this method to boot a 'Live" disk if its Live capable you do not have to install.)
      Also you can create your own disk (advanced and not described here!)
    5. Super GRUB2 Disk . Personally I used the SystemRescueCd disk which has Super GRUB2 Disk as floppy image on it. But I don't describe that. As its a bit hard to find the tool on the disk to launch it - (look for super floppy boot or something?).
    6. A Second Hard disk drive, aka.. HDD aka Secondary disk. If you want to install.

Background:
Having an old extra PC with a Pentium 4 CPU Intel 845 Chipset circa 2000 . This is an legacy system that uses mbr to boot, Not! new technologies like
GPT (GUID Partition Table) , EFI , UEFI or Secure Boot.
I had a hard time putting the Linux Distribution* I want on it since I don't have a working DVD reader / player for it . But it does had a CD. But I want a newer Distribution that only comes on DVD size. (I do not want a 'net install', btw.)
I can use It does have USB and can boot USB however this particular PC has a quirky bios configuration does not allow a OS that boots from USB to be installed on the primary disk. Although the running OS or programs like disk partition tools such as Gparted, etc. can access the disk.
On this old PC;
The method for booting a bootable* Linux .iso image that is simply (i.e.. previously downloaded to) stored on the hard disk does work (see below) .
However when booting from an .iso stored on the primary hard disk drive (not matter what partition while partition manager tools like Gparted etc. can access the disk and redo partitions on the primary disk.
But the caveat is that those partition tables cannot be written to the disk since the .iso is mounted. It has to be umounted. That cannot be done since to umount the disk would mean severe the connection to the .iso running. Actually its a limitation of this PC bios, etc. specifically since it uses up or locks the primary hdd controller (since it is in use).
While I could use a Distro or tool that specifically loads completely to memory or other method (which I tried but again this bios has features that are made to frustrate work-arounds) I won't go about describing that route.
The point here is Not that I wish to partition. That is an easy matter I could simply boot an CD .iso , etc.
The point is how to install.
(Pay attention to read-up on the method and adapt to your own uses also to create your own custom tricks / systems).

• So, its really a Simple method I use, to wit.
    Note; Pay attention!!
    1. Put the .iso on the secondary Hard disk.
    2. Boot the SuperGRUB2Disk
    3. Select Detect loop bootable isos.
      (from the website..
      "Many GNU/Linux liveCD distributions support loop booting from an iso file, that is you can boot from the iso file without needing to burn it to a CD. This option will search all partitions for either a directory /boot-isos/ or /boot/boot-isos/. It will then find all of the .iso files within those directories and create a menu to choose among them. Not all iso files can be loop booted, as the live distribution itself needs to support this. Each live distribution has its own quirks when it comes to loop booting and needs to be treated specially (unless they ship a Loopback.cfg).
      .. supported Distributions:. ..Ubuntu.. ..SystemRescueCd..
      ..Any distribution that ships with a Loopback.cfg "

Ubuntu 16.04 based Distros and disks like Mint 18 18.1, etc. has that Loopback.cfg already enabled so they will be detected.
    4. Then when you see the .iso listed you want select to Boot it!
      • Note that:
      • The output is geeky, If you have more than one drive with bootable .isos
        *(note edited from sdab which is wrong!(whoops) to sdb) sdb would on an Ubuntu or Mint system be the 2nd hdd.
        Thise may be called hdb, hdd1, hdd device 1 (assuming your primary hdd would be hdd0) or similar. If you have no other iso that its easy there will only be one option.
    5. That's it! Done! ^It should boot thereafter.
      Just remove the disk at reboot.
      ^With the caveat that if you are booting from an .iso on the primary hdd you won't be ble to install there. But you can on the second hdd.
      Of course I boot from an iso on the secondary installing to primary.
      Also note it makes no difference if you want to install on a dual boot system (mine is), however if using mbr (as this How to describes) note you can only have 4 primary partitions!. Read-up on it.
      Also then you see actually the advantage of GPT / EFI boot . You can have any number of partitions on a GPT (GUID Partition Table) sytem.

• *Appendix:
  • GPT (GUID Partition Table)
  • Loopback.cfg
  • Distribution - or distro, refers to a specific implementation of a GNU/Linux operating system.
    A project which ships an operating system that includes the Linux kernel is said to be a Linux distribution.
  • bootable - meaning it is a disk .iso that is specifically made by the Distributor, (ex. Ubuntu 16.04, Linux Mint 18) to be bootable.
    Especially from a disk .iso on the hard disk (many are using this method)
  • installable - meaning the Distro disk is built with an install option.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/23/17 11:53 PM. Reason: ps and note edited from sdab which is wrong!(whoops) to sdb

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4340235 - 02/25/17 06:01 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Everything you'll ever need to know about GUID Partition Table (GPT)
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-gpt/index.html]
(Make the most of large drives with GPT and Linux
Preparing for future disk storage with the GUID Partition Table)

Direct from the man himself, Roderick Smith the well known rEFInd GURU
http://www.rodsbooks.com/ and IBM also have info / links to all EFI, UEFI, secure boot etc. matters.

Also the IBM content can be downloaded as .pdf

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/25/17 06:04 AM. Reason: Also the IBM content can be downloaded as .pdf

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4352132 - 04/19/17 05:43 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

So you want a way to host or show a server or service directly from your computer to the internet without a lot of effort or knowing how to run / connect server from home?

Very easy with this software and service.
BUT it is a paid service, unless you are a FOSS developer.
https://pagekite.net/

How Does It Work?

https://pagekite.net/support/quickstart/

Summary

How Can PageKite Help Me?
Hackers & Tinkerers

Any computer can be a server!
Simplify SSH access to mobile or virtual devices.
Avoid the limitations of dynamic DNS.
Stop worrying about IP addresses, port numbers, routers, firewalls, ...
Protect your privacy by taking control of your data and logs.
Use the source, Luke!

Web Developers

Let colleagues and clients test or remote-debug directly off your computer.
Simplify testing on mobile devices and live networks.
Run webhooks, API servers or git repos on your desktop - or in a VM.
Develop Facebook apps using our wild-card SSL certificate.
Work from anywhere, even over 3G or limited WiFi.
Secure your work with HTTP auth. and SSL encryption.

Embedded Developers

Name and access devices in the field using free, standard tools, even over hostile 3rd party networks.
Use our redundant, managed infrastructure to out-source administration and scaling concerns.
Future-proof your business by building on Open Source and open standards.
Get priority support and non-GPL licenses directly from the authors.

This information FYI, AYOR
I'm not an agent for them nor have I tried it. But will it seems very easy and good for some limited things.
The source I got this is this blog: http://planet.debian.org/deriv/ If you like the technical Linux (Debian) information.

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
#4378640 - 09/09/17 07:04 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Where and How to get a safe encrypted solution for file storage online particularly to store for example critical data, web passwords etc. so you can access anytime in a jam and "Sync" to other devices.

First let me say I use Linux Mint Operating system.
For making my own encrypted data file I use the free progrm KeypassX
https://www.keepassx.org/
It is basically the alternative for Keepass, which is practically an industry standard many people use.
There are tons of download versions / alternatives posted at this url for Keepass, KeepassX, etc. :
http://keepass.info/download.html

Many Linux Distros include it also as available in repositories.

Now to store the data file or files I use a free online storage solution:
https://owndrive.com/

Owndrive is the same technology as Owncloud. But is not Owncloud it is a private host.
There re free as well as paid options. I use the free options now for almost ayear with no problems ever.
It uses uses an Owncloud client available from the site.

It has both a web interface as well as sync client for both Windows, MAC, Linux as well as smartphones Apple IOS and Android.
https://owndrive.com/sync-clients/

All you do is set the Owncloud sync client to my.owndrive.com
its real easy.

The avantage of Owndrive is the Additional Web Interface. You can log in from the internet just like any web service and access you files anytime also.
Very useful if you either lose your device or not have it with you,. Or if you get stuck somewhere.

Also Owndrive is based in Norway as well as their servers.

Thus for example the US Patriot act cannot be used to subvert your legal rights to yur data, etc.
Note that I actually don't have anything to hide. Nor would I ever endorse any criminal activity. That is not the reason I am posting this.
I just am against such incursions which IMHO violate the spirit of the US Bill of rights that guaranteed the right of its citizens to be secure in their 'papers' and such.
And certainly every individual needs to know how to secure their data from crackers, criminals, enemy states, etc.

That said, note that by using the Keepass / KeepassX , etc. solution (properly that is - read and understand their information and what encryption is and does as well as what it does not do first before you do this!) you fully encrypt your data before you ever upload it.
Its a very good solution and frankly no one is ever going to be able to crack your data if you encrypt it reasonably using this method.
The strength of the data encrypt will be well enough safe or really safer than any financial institution uses. And frankly way less likely than them to ever be targeted.
And depending on your choice of what method you use as a keyfile or password in KeepassX (in other words your level of paranoia. Mine is fairly high but even so I don't even bother with using the most sophisticated method. As long as your passphrase is over 20+ characters mixed chars and numbers, etc. so forth it is enough. But that is up to you.
Also making multiple archives is safer than a single obviously.
If you have data that needs higher protection than this it shouldn't even be online frankly.

In other words you would be a military actor or mogul, or criminal etc.
In that case you hardly need my advise.. lol.

Cheers!
2017-9

Last edited by FsFOOT; 09/09/17 07:37 AM. Reason: fixed a link back.. nevermind the details..

♉ Wine 🜠Steam ⭕ GoG
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.