Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4351468 - 04/16/17 07:41 PM Using Track IR in old DOS-era Origin flight sim titles  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes

While fooling around in Pacific Strike I came up with a crazy idea.

Since the old Origin flight sim games based on RealSpace engine (Strike Commander, Pacific Strike and Wings of Glory) can use mouse input to pan your view inside the cockpit, you could basically use Track IR's mouse emulation feature to make your Track IR work in those old games!

To make it work you have to run the TIR software as usual, run the Mouse Emulation application. While In game press ALT-O to open options screen and be sure to set Panning Ctrl: to Mouse.

You will have to tweak few settings in Track IR software - I had to decrease the sensitivity and invert the Pitch axis.

The flying is a bit clunky, but it works!

The only drawback of Mouse Emulation is that if you hit the view limit in game you will shift the center position.*

Sorry for sucking in game, I haven't played Pacific Strike in a long time!

Also worth noting is that any game using the mouse for view panning can use the same method. I alredy used it successfully in Jane's F-15 or in the first release of IL-2 Sturmovik from 2001 which doesn't support Track IR.

[*] If you hit the "view limit" in game (while looking back), and your actual head still moves past this limit, when you try to bring back the view to center you will find that your head position isn't centered as initially. It will be offset from center the same amount you moved your head past "view limit" (considering that mouse acceleration is disabled in Windows, if not it will add another variable, since the speed of your head movement will influence the distance travelled). That's because while your head movement in game has stopped, the cursor of emulated mouse does not. At this point when your try to bring back your head to center, the movement will start immediately since the input is taken from emulated mouse cursor, not the pitch and yaw axis absolute position describing your head orientation. With this kind of tracking you will not be able to center your view with the usual F12 command - it will center your virtual head in Track IR software but it will not have any effecy on the mouse emulation software - the cursor will stay in place. But you can easily add a command for your joystick button or HAT switch to center the view by means of switching the view to F1 view in game (or just press the F1 key). I have it bound to my HAT up switch in dosbox mapper.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4351980 - 04/18/17 10:13 PM Re: Using Track IR in old DOS-era Origin flight sim titles [Re: damson]  
Capt Haddock Offline
Capt Haddock  Offline

UK, EU
Brilliant! Nice one

Il est plus tard que tu ne crois
#4356753 - 05/11/17 02:12 AM Re: Using Track IR in old DOS-era Origin flight sim titles [Re: damson]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Nicely done. cool

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.