Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4344168 - 03/14/17 12:32 AM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Fences sure are deadly when making forced landings. I've not survived one yet! OTOH, my pilots seem to always escape captivity even if severely injured when downed in enemy lines!

#4349114 - 04/05/17 12:28 AM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
I lost my four victory guy the other day. He was sneaking up under an RE two seater and I mean dead up on center from below. That observer still got my guy. He must have had a whole in the floor in order to poke the gun barrel at my pilot. Poor sod... he roasted all the way down from over 2000 meters! It's too bad the game doesn't allow the use of known 'blind spots' or am I missing something?

#4351104 - 04/14/17 03:04 PM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
System failures occurring during flight:

I'm not aware of the Albatros D.III having any historical proclivity for spontaneous combustion but, in my last mission, two aircraft from my flight burst into flames for no apparent reason. (I also suspect that A flight lost another machine to similar causes)

As if I don't have enough bloody problems without this! I'd almost sooner risk a firing squad for refusing to fly after seeing those two kites go down.

Does this ever happen to anyone else? I know some types were prone to catching alight in the air but I never heard of it being a problem with the Albatros. The few system failures I've had were all simple engine failures so far, I hope my plane never decides it wants to be a meteor.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4351119 - 04/14/17 04:08 PM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted by ARUP
I It's too bad the game doesn't allow the use of known 'blind spots' or am I missing something?

All two-seaters do of course have blind spots as they had in real. No one is shooting through the floor. Observers also do not shoot while under g-forces or too heavy manoeuvring etc., neither your observer nor AI. If the observers gun can aim downwards past the fuselage, they will do it of course. "Dead up from center" can also be a bit subjective, since you are moving and they are moving and one always can be slightly off the center for a moment.
BTW. blind spots and quality of observers, hitting or missing and shooting or not under g-forces etc. is for the player, flying two-seaters exactly the same as for AI. So another example of experiencing things sometimes subjective is that there are sometimes complaints about AI two-seaters sniping. They are not, but they are firing at you with the purpose to hit you. If flying somewhat after him, realtively to them you are slow and hardly moving, if not keep moving, trying to make it hard for them to train their guns on you. OTOH there are sometimes complaints that the own observer with the very same AI is not hitting a thing. So very subjective although the very same AI. Of course observers also have different skill levels.

Regarding system failures. Some engines were more prone for failure than others, but that it can happen sooner or later to any engine, is how it was. Also what kind of failure. I think in Ace-Pilot's case it was just bad luck. The next 50 flights there won't possibly happen anything thumbsup

#4351148 - 04/14/17 05:23 PM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: Creaghorn]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Creaghorn
I It's too bad the game doesn't allow the use of known 'blind spots' or am I missing something?

All two-seaters do of course have blind spots as they had in real. No one is shooting through the floor. Observers also do not shoot while under g-forces or too heavy manoeuvring etc., neither your observer nor AI. If the observers gun can aim downwards past the fuselage, they will do it of course. "Dead up from center" can also be a bit subjective, since you are moving and they are moving and one always can be slightly off the center for a moment.
BTW. blind spots and quality of observers, hitting or missing and shooting or not under g-forces etc. is for the player, flying two-seaters exactly the same as for AI. So another example of experiencing things sometimes subjective is that there are sometimes complaints about AI two-seaters sniping. They are not, but they are firing at you with the purpose to hit you. If flying somewhat after him, realtively to them you are slow and hardly moving, if not keep moving, trying to make it hard for them to train their guns on you. OTOH there are sometimes complaints that the own observer with the very same AI is not hitting a thing. So very subjective although the very same AI. Of course observers also have different skill levels.

Regarding system failures. Some engines were more prone for failure than others, but that it can happen sooner or later to any engine, is how it was. Also what kind of failure. I think in Ace-Pilot's case it was just bad luck. The next 50 flights there won't possibly happen anything thumbsup

Creaghorn;

This may be subjective but I have noted, more frequently than not, that if I fly at constant full throttle for extended periods of time, I experience engine failures more frequently. Not sure if this is built into WOFF or not. Just a personal observation and thought.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 04/14/17 05:23 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4351200 - 04/14/17 09:31 PM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I hope so, either that or Jasta 5 might mutiny if this rate keeps up.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4351226 - 04/15/17 02:44 AM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Thanks for explanation Creaghorn! I have read of pilots sneaking up on the two seaters. I just haven't been able to do it, yet! One of these days... I really tend to avoid those pesky two seaters or shoot at them from a ridiculously long range anymore.

I have seen some aircraft burn for no reason, too. Maybe their pilots didn't understand a 'system failure' is happening. I have witnessed squad mates fly away (and return or attempt to return home. I did this by 'tagging' them with 'Alt Tab' key.) so figured they must be a little more savvy and experienced enough to know when it is time to try and get machine attended. Whenever I get a 'system failure' I kill the engine immediately. So far, my guys have a 100% success rate of escaping captivity. Don't ask me why! I do have some Irish lineage, lol.

#4351231 - 04/15/17 03:50 AM Re: Interesting Observations in WOFF UE [Re: ARUP]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Thanks for explanation Creaghorn! I have read of pilots sneaking up on the two seaters. I just haven't been able to do it, yet! One of these days...l.

It can be done. Sometimes I've been able to make a full pass at a 2 seater, my guns a blazing, and they don't respond until I come around a second time. Maybe I caught the rear gunner sleeping? Maybe he was in shock and terrified when I first "came out of nowhere" at him? Who knows? But they always wake up unless I get so lucky as to kill them in the first slashing attack.

Might I also suggest that you don't attack two seaters alone. I let my wingmen approach for the back while I make slashing attacks from the high rear quarter. It takes at least some of the heat off of me by diving up the rear gunners time on who he's aiming for. That will improve your chances significantly, but nothing is a guarantee!

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM