Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4348607 - 04/02/17 06:32 PM Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703)  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

I have been using this for 2 days now through the Insider Preview Fast ring. So far I have to say I am happy with how smooth the update was and no loss of performance or functionality has popped up. I see a small increase in performance on the desktop and some games (through Game Mode) but could be placebo.

I have not tested all these new features yet, but there is nothing that seems to be annoying or in the way. So far I think it is a worthy upgrade.

If you don't want to join the Insider Program, the update will be available after April 5 or 6 though the Windows Upgrade Assistant wizard or wait for official release after April 11 (staged release) and the installer should be available in MS Windows 10 page a day after that.

As we approach the public rollout and availability of Windows 10 feature update 1703 - the "Creators Update" - many of you will be looking for a complete* changelog of what is new and different from the last big Windows 10 Update: Version 1607 - the "Anniversary Update" - which you should be using right now.

I've scraped through the changelogs of all the Insider Builds since Build 14393 (the Anniversary Update) and done my best to filter out all the duplicates and turn the rest into a somewhat organized list for you all (it's not perfectly organized, if you don't want to miss anything interesting read it all!)

My source for all these was: https://changewindows.org/

Without further ado, here is the complete* changelog:
Some highlights 👀:

Night light (Blue light reduction, on/off manually and scheduled)
New OOBE (Out Of Box Experience - the wizard(s) that guide you through the initial setup & install of Windows)
Native USB Audio 2.0 support
New keyboard shortcut: Win + Shift + S (select an area on your screen and an image of it is copied to your clipboard)
Can now create folders in the Start Menus tile area
Game mode (preliminary testing seems to indicate it helps with FPS dips/minimum FPS) - most beneficial for low spec systems!
New inbox app: Paint 3D
You can now buy books through the Windows Store (and read them In Edge)
The Win32 Windows Defender has been removed and Windows Defender systray icon replaced with Windows Defender Security Center icon
"Pick up where you left off" (requires Cortana)
Game Bar now provides support in full screen for an additional 88 titles (I have not used this)
On-screen touchpad
Updated Bluetooth API with GATT Server, Bluetooth LE Peripheral role and unpaired Bluetooth LE device connectivity support

Windows Update experience:

Numlock setting, UAC settings, startup shortcuts, custom (registry) scan code mappings, optional components, custom printer names and folders pinned to the Start Menu are now preserved through updates
Apps that have been de-provisioned from your OS image won't install again automatically unless you reinstalled them yourself
Apps you have previously uninstalled will no longer be installed with every new upgrade
Windows Update will now ask you to schedule a pending update if no good timeslot to automatically update can be found
Unified Update Platform (future updates can be smaller now => faster download and install)
Ability to defer/pause cumulative security updates for 7 days

Shell:

Lunar calendar support in the Taskbar-Calendar flyout
You can now connect to a VPN from within the Network fly-out after selecting it
New default tile layout for clean installs
New Share icon
New share experience / Share UI
Improved high-dpi scaling in Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and Disk Management
Desktop wizards like "Map a network drive" and "Extract from zip" will now scale properly when moving from one monitor to another
New per-application enhanced scaling mode
Improved the system tray logic to be more robust when bad data is presented
Notifications in the Action center now support inline progress bars
Behavior of the scrollbar has been improved for apps using the Creators Update SDK (Apps targeting 15063+)
The "Settings" entry in the taskbar context menu has been renamed "Taskbar settings"
The "All apps" button in Start will now show a badge with the number of new apps

Cortana:

You can now set Cortana to not listen when Windows + C is used
When searching for an app in Cortana, it will now show you commands that work within that app
(Cortana) Time-based reminders can now be recurring every month or year
Cortana can now shut down, restart and lock your device
Cortana can now change the volume of your device
If the device is idle, saying "Hey Cortana" will show a full screen UI optimized for long distance reading

UWP and Apps:

New inbox "Quick Assist" App. Request remote help from friends or assist friends remotely even on Home Edition
New inbox "Mixed Reality" App
Apps can now implement compact mode, which allows an app to be shown on the screen in a small window on top of the window that's currently in focus (like "Picture-in-Picture"-mode on many TVs)
Apps can now make custom groups for notifications
Apps can now overwrite the timestamp in their notifications
New rendering technology for all UWP apps
Reliability improvements to UWP apps
Alarms from 3rd party alarm apps can now break through Quiet Hours

Settings app:

New "Apps" settings page/category that consolidates many previously scattered settings
New "Gaming" settings page/category
You can now hide the apps list in the start menu
Custom accent color picker
Custom background color picker
Many Settings moved around
You can now set websites to open in apps if the website allows it
"Wi-Fi Sense" and "Paid Wi-Fi Services" have been merged into the new "Wi-Fi Services" on the "Wi-Fi" page
A new option has been added under "Storage" to allow you to let Windows remove unused temporary files and files that have been in the recycle bin for longer than 30 days
Dynamic lock
PCs will no longer have to reboot after turning on Developer Mode
Settings up Windows Hello now provides visual guidance which tracks your face in real-time
Improved design on the Printers & scanners settings page
Improved design on the storage usage settings page
Custom scaling factors now possible
"Theme" section in settings
"Enhanced" telemetry/diagnostics choice removed
Many more (custom) gestures for precision touchpads including custom key macros
You can now let Windows block most non-Store apps or ask for confirmation before installing
Under "Restart settings" you can now require Windows Update to show more notifications before restarting
Windows Update has a new icon, resembling the outline of the Windows-logo with two circling arrows in it

Hyper-V:

You can now override the scaling in Hyper-V Virtual Machines
Hyper-V instances will now remember your zoom level for the next session
You can now resize Hyper-V windows in Enhanced session mode

Other:

Windows Hello recognition has been improved
Improved video playback quality on the target device when using Miracast to connect between a high-DPI PC to another high-DPI device
Registry editor got an address bar (and new keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl + L)
Narrator keyboard shortcut changes
Narrator can now explain context of whatever it is reading
OAuth is now supported for Yahoo Mail accounts
Improved many translations
Rainbow flag emoji added (sooo needed ... /s)
Support for spatial sound (e.g. Dolby Atmos)
Beam.pro livestreaming now built-in to the GameBar
Windows will now respond better when Win + L is pressed when playing a full screen game
The Alt + F4 Shutdown dialog has been improved to better handle DPI changes with external monitors
Updated advanced properties in Sounds control panel to allow you to select 24 and 32 bit at 176400Hz, and 16, 24 and 32 bit at 352800 Hz as the default format for devices that support it
The Trusted Platform Module Management control panel has been updated to provide more info when the TPM is "Not ready for use" or "Ready for use, with reduced functionality"
Snipping tool can now be used completely without a mouse
Installing Bash on Ubuntu on Windows will now install version 16.04 instead of 14.04
Many many WSL improvements lead to better compatibility - for example ifconfig works now!
You can now launch Windows binaries from a WSL command prompt
... and Linux binaries from Windows by calling "bash.exe -c <command>"
The "Open command window here" context menu item has been replaced with "Open PowerShell window here"
Command Prompt has been replaced with PowerShell in the Win + X menu by default - same in File Explorers extended context menu
When you turn off Wi-Fi you can now set it to turn back on automatically on a timer
Can now set all audio to be mono
You can now disable Microsoft from using diagnostic data to provide a tailored experience
On devices with more than 3.5 GB memory, service hosts will be split into individual processes
- When one process fails, it will no longer take down the whole service host
- Task Manager will give a better overview of what Windows is doing in these background processes
- It will be easier to troubleshoot which process is causing issues for both IT pros and Microsoft
- Process will now all have their own individual permissions, improving security
Improved precision touchpad recognitions for left and right clicks, two-finger taps, improving pin-to-zoom and two-finger tap detection
Improved recognition for 3 finger gestures for precision touchpads
Improved framerates when the Game bar is being shown on full screen games
Wi-Fi Calling has been added
Improved scaling for games that have a different aspect ratio than the native display resolution
Braille
Ink Workspace: improved performance and reliability plus small improvements to usability

Microsoft Edge:

Edge will now open the Connect pane when clicking "Cast media to device"
Improves the behavior of the "Find on page" feature to show the found result more central in the page
eBook Reader (incl. reading books aloud)
Automatically blocks flash
Full color emoji
WebRTC 1.0 now on by default
H.264/AVC is now enabled by default for RTC
Re-deferral support
Chakra JIT is not out-of-process by default
Support for SharedArrayBuffer and WebAssembly behind the Experimental JavaScript Features flag
Web Notes has a new icon and works like Ink Workspace now
Set tabs aside (and share them!)
Run .exe download without saving it
New PDF toolbar + search
Improved performance, reliability and support for today's and tomorrow's web standards and new technologies
You can now import and export favorites from and to a file
In addition to "Alt + D" and "F6" You can now also use "Ctrl + O" to move focus to the address bar
Noteworthy bugfix: When using the "uBlock Origin" extension, Edge would sometimes prompt to download websites instead of opening them - that is now fixed!

Regressions or neutral/subjective changes 🤔:

The option to prevent Windows Update from installing drivers has been removed
It is no longer possible to disable an alarm on the lock screen
Kernel debugging over 1394 has been removed

*This list is just based on the changelogs from the Insider Preview Builds. Those may not (are likely not) complete. I intentionally omitted many improvements made to accessibility and lots of new features for the Asian languages, because there were many and many of us will not need them. I also left out any listed bug fixes, because I think most of these bugs that were fixed were newly introduced in the Insider Builds following the Anniversary Update, and therefore never affected anyone on the stable release branch. Still, there will be lots of fixes coming that Microsoft never made public or I didn't include here that WILL be applicable to users upgrading from version 1607 - the "Anniversary Update".

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4349280 - 04/05/17 04:51 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/05/17 04:53 PM.
#4349290 - 04/05/17 05:15 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I seem to remember this will be an "automatic" update at some point in the next few weeks. Is that true?

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4349292 - 04/05/17 05:36 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Yes. You can wait for a phased deployment (in stages) update through Windows Update after April 11.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/05/17 05:43 PM.
#4349336 - 04/05/17 08:25 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I'm confused. Can I just update to this or do I have to wait until April 11?

I just finished doing a clean install of Win10 on my machine frown

- Ice
#4349350 - 04/05/17 08:42 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: - Ice]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted by - Ice
I'm confused. Can I just update to this or do I have to wait until April 11?

I just finished doing a clean install of Win10 on my machine frown

It is up to you. Either way you get a reinstall (upgrade) of Windows. The difference is just that the installer will download as a Windows Update after 4/11. This an the update are the same upgrade.

I got both the Insider Preview download and the ISO, and can confirm they are the same.

It will install over your existing Win10 install (although you could also do a clean install if you want). Your programs will not be affected (for the most part). Old windows gets saved on a separate folder in case you want to revert.

I just applied this on all my machines. Just like the Anniversary update last year, some settings will revert to default, but it is not difficult to get it all set back how you like it.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/05/17 08:56 PM.
#4349356 - 04/05/17 09:01 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

#4349368 - 04/05/17 09:24 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Installed on both my machines yesterday.Desktop went fine,but the laptop failed to install for some reason but did so on the second try. Noticed a few changes straight away but so far all is good.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4349464 - 04/06/17 01:25 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I can wait for now. It looks a bunch of nice tweaks but nothing "must have."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4349801 - 04/07/17 10:53 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Unfortunately, it's not working well for me. War Thunder doesn't seem to like it and for some reason, my Helios profile does not function very well on Win10CU v.1703.

Is there any way to re-download and install Win10 Anniversary Edition to a USB? I'm guessing the MediaCreationTool only downloads the latest build and I've already over-written the old files on the USB. I also can't "roll back" because this was a clean install on a new drive.

- Ice
#4349875 - 04/08/17 02:29 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Jedi Master]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
I can wait for now. It looks a bunch of nice tweaks but nothing "must have."

I'm hoping I'll at least gain some semblance of control over my own computer, with regard to Windows Updates coming down during my Arma and INS online gaming sessions.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4349888 - 04/08/17 04:06 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Good Game Mode article with benchmarks: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3187...unplayable-games-playable-sometimes.html

Basically, it helps if you have a lot of background apps running while gaming, improves on the minimum FPS more than the max FPS, and it might not benefit AMD processors as much as Intel.

If you already streamline your computer for gaming, your improvements will be minimal.

#4350329 - 04/10/17 09:09 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Is there any way to PREVENT Win10 from downloading this update??

- Ice
#4350334 - 04/10/17 09:49 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
It will drop as the Anniversary update did. You might be able to postpone it a few times, but it will need to be installed eventually.

Ironically, the CU gives you the option to delay updates for up to 365 days.

I read about your issues and they are very strange, as nothing in the display managing or drivers was changed. Actually, unless I specifically look, it is difficult to tell that it installed at all. My drivers did not change at all, although i understand your issues are more of a custom display arrangement nature.

Strange about War Thunder too. I went to their forum and there seem to be an issue with full screen after the update that someone solved with this:

Ps: For all others: The solution is to disable all different IME languages and keyboard layouts.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/359317-creators-update-broke-full-screen-mode/

Could it be a tweak or workaround that is no longer recognized, due to probably a change in a registry key or something?

I wish I could help more, but it is difficult to diagnose on the basis of the observed behaviour only.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/10/17 09:56 PM.
#4350343 - 04/10/17 10:16 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I only have the UK and English language set up, and he still has his menu... mine is stuck on the loading screen and the UI never comes up even after leaving it for 15 minutes.

I'm now lost as to what my issue is. I've reverted back to AE, installed it on an 850 Evo SATA SSD, and while it's better than when on the NVMe drive, it's still laggy... not as much, but the issue is still there. All drivers are up to date. frown
I may uninstall programs one-by-one and see if any of it is the culprit.

Is there any hardware-focused forum that you'd recommend?

- Ice
#4350357 - 04/10/17 11:04 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/10/17 11:08 PM.
#4350541 - 04/11/17 09:33 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks Bib!

- Ice
#4350550 - 04/11/17 10:31 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Okay, so far, I've re-installed Win10CU and everything seems to be working fine.... with one exception.

I currently use two touchscreens for my flight sim controls setup using Helios software and three 27" monitors for the flight sim display. Everything was working fine under Win10 Anniversary Edition but after upgrading to Win10 Creators Update (clean install), I'm having issues with one of the monitors.

I have a small 22" iiyama ProLite T2250MTS-B1 and a bigger 24" iiyama ProLite T2452MTS-B4 touchscreen. The 24" one is the one having problems. I can see that the touch function is working fine, I've set Windows to know that these two screens are touchscreens and I've calibrated both screens. I can move and manipulate open File Explorer windows on the touchscreen but when I start up Helios, it does not interact with the software. Under Win10AE, I could press a button on the 24" touchscreen and get a desired effect. Under Win10CU, I press the same button but there's no effect. I can see the indication that the touchscreen has detected a touch input and if I move the mouse, I can see that the cursor is where I last touched the screen, but Helios does not recognize the touch input. I can click the button with the mouse and get the desired effect, but I cannot activate it via touch.

I wonder what's changed in Win10CU that causes such an effect? Unfortunately, Helios software has been abandoned a couple of years ago so I cannot ask the original programmer for help.

Any ideas?

- Ice
#4350754 - 04/12/17 09:01 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Keep on getting another issue as well. My three monitors are tied into a Surround setup at 5896x1080 resolution, then I have the two touchscreens. Every now and again, the PC will boot up, the Gigabyte logo will show on the center Surround screen, but then the whole Surround setup will get a "no signal" message and it'll only be my touchscreens that will show the desktop. As there is no taskbar or any icons on the touchscreens, I'm forced to press-and-hold the power button on the case to shut down the PC. I reboot it right afterwards and a couple of times, the same issue presents itself but most of the time, the issue gets resolved and all my screens will display the desktop.

As far as the touchscreens are concerned, I've even unplugged the 22" screen now but the 24" screen still isn't working with Helios. I'd be less annoyed if it didn't work AT ALL, but it works fine with everything else except Helios. Back to Win10AE I guess. frown

- Ice
#4350757 - 04/12/17 09:25 PM Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update (Ver 1703) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Have you tried running the Helios software on Compatibility mode? There is a new setting in that tab called "Disable Full Screen Enhancements", which probably is for display from programs, but I would try that too.

--Disable Compatibility assistant in Win10

To stop it...
- goto services -> find Program Compatibility Assistant Service -> click it and stop it
- test Helios
- if you it works..then change it's startup type to "disabled"

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/12/17 09:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.