Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4352189 - 04/19/17 08:47 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool thanks, I will let you know how it goes. Yes I thought that was target bearing. D'oh!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4352297 - 04/20/17 12:39 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oden, I tried the setting. It does not exist by default and needs to be added to the.cfg file. I tried it without it and got paused after about 10 minutes in the 2D screen. So I tried again with the setting and same thing, I didn't attempt to fly.

On the plus side things are still going quite well in the server. It's day seven! It's cool we've had it running so long, just wish I could fly some hops.

My suggestion to turn off airfield strikes was as poorly timed as could be. It coincided with a big spike in Red aircraft reinforcements. Still, Blue has a huge force level advantage. Our pixeltruppen have made good progress toward P'yongyang. Helicopters are eating our ground troops. If I could have flown last night I would have struck (or attempted to) a highway strip near Sariwon. It houses a Mi-8 squadron that is doing some damage. I forget the name but it starts with the letter S.

All of my attempts lately have been in the 14th out of Kangnung. I can't think of why this would have any effect on my connection issues, but I will try again at Osan to see if it makes any difference.

I think if the server runs for 2 or 3 more day this Rolling Fire will be in the bag.

One thing I've been thinking is that perhaps my issues are simply caused by the fact this is Rolling Fire and has so many units? I know that the more units the program has to track the more traffic and data so perhaps is a factor? I don't know. I hope to work it out. I cannot host a dedicated server myself.

#4352341 - 04/20/17 04:05 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Bummer.
Weird how a 10mbit upload can't handle a single pilot, must be something else.
I'll have a look and see if I can arrange some resources monitoring.

Must be a connection thing since I have flown flawlessly (server performance wise, not me really biggrin ) last few times but at the same time I did have blue-pause earlier too - on the very same LAN as the server (but that could also be due to me connecting from inside).

Really hard to make a pattern out of this.

I have ordered a 500mbit down 50 mbit up connection, should be here in a few days, let's see what that can bring to the table.

I am a bit curious of setting the server directly on the incoming broadband but that will kill my gaming computard, but it could be interesting for a test when outside my hours.

Airfield Strikes will be slider 0 soon and I will update here if I will let the server bypass my LAN during Euro Night Time.

#4352356 - 04/20/17 05:29 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Must be the quality of the chickens DBond's been sacrificing of late....

- Ice
#4352358 - 04/20/17 05:33 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What do you mean? These are free-range, corn-fed chickens with no bed time and little political conviction.

What type SHOULD I be using?

And I have sad news to report..... While watching the action yesterday I saw our intrepid Engineer Team 6 was found by a Red mech battalion and they didn't make it out. Brave men with an impossible task I am afraid.

So as not to be outdone, Red has stationed a unit in the middle of the Sea of Japan.

#4352365 - 04/20/17 06:03 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Found a chicken farm just north of Wonsan.

[Linked Image]

Fragged another 4x Mk84 single ship flight.
This time I had no plans for playing around with MiG'2 halfway home since I by now know I am at max usable range flying without bags.
I also brought one of those camera things but I never got to use it.
At this range from home I can't afford goofing around target area doing 4 times CCRP deliveries.
This time, still setting target steerpoints, I simply went close and personal CCIP delivery letting stp 15 through 18 guide me visually on HUD to find correct target.

Result:

[Linked Image]

Crossing homebase runways still at 2400 lbs, easy flight not much to show but I did get a nice hangar shot after overtaking A-10's on the taxiways.

[Linked Image]

So, DPRK 7th Infantry Corps Base is pretty much no more.

[Linked Image]

#4352372 - 04/20/17 06:23 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great. Juuuust great. Now where am I supposed to source my chickens?

Good work LT.

Eight-Fours continue to rain thumbsup

#4352432 - 04/20/17 11:55 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hopped on tonight to give it another go, and I flew a mission. No problems. No pausing, everything smooth. Since it's the first mission I have actually completed in our campaign in the past three days I think it deserves a short write up smile

Here's the thing... I didn't do anything differently than I have for the past three days, except... I transferred away from Kangnung and flew Block 52s with the 155th out of Choongwon. I had a look about. E-3s still aren't flying. I saw that one, during your time yesterday was it Oden? But none aside from that? Oden, did you frag that E-3?

The problem this presents is that we then only have Hawkeyes for AWACS, and their range is short, so when I was on, their radar coverage only extended as far as Wonsan. So we can't see anything on the map deeper than that, and if you were flying near Wonsan for example a picture call could come back clear even if there was a four-ship of MiG-29S's bearing down on you in full burner 20 miles to the north. That makes things interesting.

So I looked around and got some blue troops heading for the Wonsan objective since they had gotten within 3 miles and then decided to head off 70 miles to the south. Oh no you don't! I took a few battalions over and sent them to take the objectives. So Wonsan is essentially ours, we also captured Wonsan airbase while I was on. That is a really cool X shaped runway right on the coast. Use it for divert if you can.

I decided to hit a patrol boat task force (TASMO) that was moored at the port just to the north. Sitting still they would make good JDAM targets. So close to the docks I reckoned I could get some collateral damage since GBU-31 make big boom.

[Linked Image]

I took off solo from Choongwon at noon on day 8. Day 8! This is great. Weather was sunny, but as I flew toward Wonsan it closed in, so that is was mostly overcast near the target, forcing me below 11,000 because I needed to use the sniper pod to pick out the boats. We had so thoroughly cleared out Wonsan I wasn't concerned with air defenses. Came in from out to sea a bit and dropped the first JDAM. Good hit. Came 'round and dropped the second on the other boat. Another good hit. JDAMs are too easy. High tech gadgetry I tell ya. I console myself by realizing it's still a Mark-84, just with a few fancy bits.

Here the first JDAM hits the southern-most patrol boat

[Linked Image]

Here you see our newly acquired Wonsan airbase with the X configured runways with my targets burning and sinking in the distance

[Linked Image]

After getting the second bomb off I decided to hunt a bit since I still had plenty of go juice. I remembered the mission I wanted to fly yesterday and hunt down the enemy's A-50. Flew out to the north central part of Korea (with no AWACS support mind) and locked something up at 60 miles. Ah-ha! Soon I spotted a second at a similar range. You're not locking up any fighters at such a distance, except maybe a MiG-31. AT this point I'm thinking transports probably, An-124s? One was hot one was cold, Closed on the closing one and fired a AMRAAM from 16 miles and this missile hit home. Here you see the smoke streak to the right of the HUD. Track IR gangsta lean biggrin

[Linked Image]

The crew bailed out and the An-124 flew on in a dive for five more minutes before crashing in to a mountain.

The second contact had continued flying north and I would have to chase, but a diamond with a 3 inside on the RWR was right in the way and I decided to turn around and ended up flying home when no other targets developed. After crossing the FLOT I flew the rest of the way back to Choongwon on the deck, just because.

Sunk the two boats, check the activity at the bottom, plus a few bits of the port with the big boom. Could Kangnung have been the source of my pausing troubles? Doesn't make any sense, but for whatever reason tonight it worked fine.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 2017-04-20_182000.jpg2017-04-20_184911.jpg2017-04-20_185200.jpg2017-04-20_190123.jpg2017-04-20_192759.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/21/17 12:30 PM.

#4352467 - 04/21/17 04:25 AM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Wonderful!
Both your connection and mission experience that is smile

I did restart the server y'day and a big win10 update occurred.
I also moved my LAN cable from a switch directly to the router connected to my cable modem.

Server-dude has been 2D since restart.

Maybe that restart was making teh difference?

Wonsan, I have been looking at that ship-marker on the map some time but never pulled the trigger smile
Can we reallocate to Wonsan to push north-east?
I can be honest here I really don't have a full picture of the campaign goals.
(this is when having a strat.game 4-star General with us comes in handy haha)

#4352508 - 04/21/17 11:34 AM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Oden, yes, whatever you did may have made the difference, but I cannot be sure.

The only two objectives in this campaigns are Wonsan, which we already have, and P'yongyang. Once we have units in P'yongyang the campaign will be won.

When I was on last night I was again trying to figure out why the E-3s weren't flying. I checked their airbase. Runways were intact, undamaged yet in the campaign. But the tower is destroyed! I mean seriously? That means Red aircraft had to fly all the way there, somehow past the carrier group all the way to Japan, and then to only hit the tower!

I wish I had flown that mission biggrin

While in the E-3 squadron, an E-3 mission suddenly popped up on the frag order. I then re-routed it closer to our lines and gave it a 12-hour station time, so it should be up until about 6 AM on day 9. Oden, if you feel like playing a bit of general yourself, I'd like to see if you are able to frag out a E-3 patrol. If this doesn't work, we should use the No AWACS required setting. Is that a client-side setting does anyone know? Or server only?

I just hopped on for a minute to see the situation. E-3 is still up. Carrier group is undamaged. Wonsan is ours. The 3rd Marines have swept through Haeju, brushing aside an infantry division and turning north to hit P'yongyang from the south through Sariwon. The 25th Armored and the 14th Infantry are approaching P'Yang from the east.

Last edited by DBond; 04/21/17 11:55 AM.

#4352525 - 04/21/17 01:29 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Maybe something wrong with the server... some of those things that are fixed by turning it off then on again... smile

- Ice
#4352597 - 04/21/17 04:03 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, that may be all that was needed. I don't know. I'm just a vpilot and part time general anyway. You tech guru guys can worry about that stuff. Just make sure it works aight? biggrin

I'll hop on tonight and see if we can't bring this one across the finish line. I'd like to be on at the time we actually win one of these.

With Rolling Fire almost in the bag maybe it's time to think about our next one? Any suggestions? I can start getting it set up.

#4352618 - 04/21/17 04:53 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Any flights planned for this weekend?

- Ice
#4352623 - 04/21/17 04:59 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

After RF I'm split for another try on Balkans but I suspect that will make it harder for us to attract new pilots since it requires additional download and install to be processed.
Iron Fortress is one I've never flown pretty much mostly due to me being a mud mover and my picture of IF is that is required a magnitude of air-to-air.

You guys decide and I host smile

Edit: as per Ice's question - I'm available all weekend but to manage time zones I guess saturday would work best (even if next weekend)

Last edited by theOden; 04/21/17 05:01 PM.
#4352630 - 04/21/17 05:06 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Just FYI I'm still working nights so if we can fly around 4pm BST, that would be best. Available both Sat and Sun.

- Ice
#4352640 - 04/21/17 05:24 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I work Saturday. Earliest I could be on is about 9PM EDT, way too late for the Euros.

Sunday the mini-me and I are going fishing.

As for the next campaign....

Balkans, yes, I want to too. Oden makes a good point, but then again we didn't attract many new guys even flying KTO. Well, Balkans is a self installer so it doesn't get much easier.

The Balkans campaigns are

Balance of Power. Big campaign that takes a while. Makes it good for a 24/7 server. Lots of SA-6

Under Siege. The smallest campaign I've flown. Can be done in SP in less than 24 hours. Would probably take 3-5 days if we don't get involved on the ground. Has a rather nice compact feel though, with the action well-concentrated.

Powder Keg. Sort of a 'tweener. Might be good.

The main issue here is that in the Balkans the defensive air is virtually non-existent. We would routinely have Red aircraft flying behind our lines. Losing bases is much more likely. Of course, there are a lot more bases too.

Iron Fortress. We actually have two versions of this. The KTO one is a much easier version of the venerable IF. The front line is very close meaning some quick hops. The Strong DRPK theater version is very difficult and I don't think would make a good choice for a 24/7 server that cannot be paused.

#4352642 - 04/21/17 05:33 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Dear All Lurkers,
Would you help us decide on Balkans or KTO based on your view IF you would fly with us but not going to for whatever perfectly good reasons?

DBond, as you say Balkans is not much of a hassle to get installed but it still adds an obstacle - and at the same time we didn't manage to attract too many lone-wolfs to the server anyhow.
So yes, maybe we should go for Balkans again (it is a truly magnificent theater).

Maybe BoP again, and shoot lasers, sharks, sharks with lasers and atomic bombs on those darn Gainfuls?

#4352652 - 04/21/17 06:32 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I am up for it. Yes, I think Balance of Power is good. I vote for that. So many F-16 squadrons and marks. Good stuff!

#4352728 - 04/22/17 03:28 AM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

BMS had stopped working.
Server restarted (back on Day 8 again)

#4352736 - 04/22/17 04:27 AM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri

Dear All Lurkers,
Would you help us decide on Balkans or KTO based on your view

What about ITO?

The Egypt campaign was the toughest I've ever flown. The Egyptians have SA-10's and Patriots, F-16's Migs. Rafaels, M1A1's, Soviet T-series tanks, etc.

The Syrian/Lebanese Campaign is a bit more subdued and comparable to the KTO campaigns.

Both are winnable and ITO doesn't have as many versions floating around as Balkans.

That being said, for running a server based campaign, KTO is probably the safest bet for overall reliability.

FWIW stirthepot

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.