Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4351680 - 04/17/17 06:00 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
LOL. No, you won't be able to make out which vehicle is which usually. I use smart scaling and still can't tell a tank from an APC. It was more in reference to you saying you couldn't sort the Air Defence Command site.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4351693 - 04/17/17 07:02 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
The targeting pod aka sniper pod is more useful than that. On A-A engagements, you can VID targets as well... and can also confirm kills easily with it. The burning wreck could be behind and below you but if the TGP has LOS to it, then no need to turn the jet around to confirm a kill.

Your employment of the targeting pod to attack ground targets is spot on as well, DBond. I'm not sure if this is on the 4.33 Training TEs, but used the TGP all the time in the 4.32 bombing TEs... it's getting to the point now that I won't fly without a TGP.

- Ice
#4351702 - 04/17/17 07:26 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Ice. Someone had mentioned using it air to air, maybe it was you. Haven't done that myself but will give it a try.

Here are two shots showing an attack using 'my' method.

[Linked Image]

In that shot you see the target designated on the FCR with the sniper pod showing what I am locked on (though in this shot clouds are obscuring at this moment)

Here is what is in the TGP MFD

[Linked Image]

Note 'Not SOI' in the TGP view. If you switch the SOI, you will slew the TGP away from the radar and will need to zero the TGP back to the FCR cursor to use this method. So I make sure I do not switch SOI at any stage to avoid getting confused over where the two sensors are looking.

#4351733 - 04/17/17 09:14 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
See RMFD in post above. See where OSB6 says WHOT next to it? Cycle that to TV mode and you will see a much closer view that will allow you to ID the target. Use thre rotary on the uncage button on your TQS to zoom in and out. For wider view, just switch back to WHOT or BHOT.

[Linked Image]
#4351739 - 04/17/17 09:46 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Schnidrman. I thought TV was not used at night, or is that old news?

#4351839 - 04/18/17 01:02 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
An update on our campaign.

It is now early AM, day 6. Good that we made it this far. On the ground things are going well. Last night I joined to play general a bit. I fragged out some A-10 interdictions and some other missions. Was able to completely clear out Kaesong, which has now been captured by our troops. That unhinges the Red defense on the western front. Blue troops have also taken T'osan. We have crossed the Hart line in all sectors. Most forward Blue units look to be close to full strength.

It appears that China joined the war while I was at work yesterday, and by the time I got on their air force had already been smashed. It looks now like Russia is also in.

Our E-3s at Fukuoka in Japan are not flying, and I could not frag them last night. Not sure why. Instead, E-2s are being used but they are short radar range and not much help. We need to get the E-3s flying again. Perhaps choose a different airbase for our sever pilot, but I don't see why that would make a difference, unless the E-3 squadron is what our server pilot is actually in. Fukuoka had not been hit, runways still intact. Our carrier group is still undamaged (perhaps surprisingly!)

Performance last night for me was poor. The server kept pausing on me or kicking me out while in the 2D map. I did attempt to fly one mission and after dropping my bombs I was chasing a MiG-21 when I got 'blue paused' and had to quit.

The advice to put a plane in the 3D may be really good advice, but I don't know that we have noticed any difference doing so. Perhaps we should try the other way and see what happens?

Oden, had you reset the bullseye? I had forgotten to suggest it but looks like you were reading my mind there. I suggest turning off 'airfield' from the sliders. We have knocked out so many that there is little Red air flying. Perhaps it's time to let them loose so we can kills what's left and have some airbases for our guys to hit since that's a fun mission type.

China and Russia joining has made little difference at all. We haven't moved forward all that much but are still in really good shape. Plenty of strike targets are now open for us. We need to continue to hit Red ground, and take out any remaining SAM defenses near P'yongyang. The only two objectives in this campaign are Wonsan and P'yongyang. So our efforts should be focused on clearing the way on the ground to allow Blue troops to reach those cities.

#4351849 - 04/18/17 01:34 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Server-dude is in a C-17 on RAMP at Fukuoka, shouldn't intefere with the others (taxiways are clear AFAIK).

Could it be that the E-3's are "refitting"? I will keep an Eye open for them when I fly tonight (3pm coffee now, or the famous "fika" here in Sveedenland).

No Bullseye move from me, but can be arranged when needed.

The poor performance you experience makes me concerned, I have had the server in 3D the last 24 hours without popping back to 2D for unknown reasons as usually happens - let me try keeping the server in 2D after I alter the sliders and let's see what that can bring us in terms of performance.

I can't imagine the server hardware is too weak, only concern I have is the 10 Mbit upload (and the ISP isn't one of the best in Sweden, on the contrary I would say - but it is what this house offers, sadly)

#4351859 - 04/18/17 01:59 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It could simply be a poor connection for me and unrelated to the server itself. Usually I am good on your server, so I have no reason to suspect that is the cause necessarily. While changing the sliders, would you also ensure that both P'yongyang and Wonsan PAKS are turned up to 5 please?

I'm stumped on the E-3s. They have been like this for 12 hours now.

Server-dude is now the official term biggrin

Last edited by DBond; 04/18/17 02:00 PM.

#4351954 - 04/18/17 08:04 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Too bad Oden, I just missed you. I logged on to play general and saw you in the list. So I hopped out to get the comms, stick and TIR set up but by the time I got back in you had gone.

I see an E-3 up near Seosan. Did you do that?

Jumped back in and fragged a HARMCAP near Wonsan in Block 50s out of Kangnung. I loved this airfield in AF and this is the first time I have flown out of it in BMS. Just a great base to operate from. Picturesque:)

I spotted their A-50 on AWACS and was going to see if I could hunt it down. Got to about 10 miles of the front and 'blue paused' out again.

Rolling to taxi for takeoff on Kangnug 26. Try out this base, you'll love it

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 2017-04-18_161521.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/18/17 09:02 PM.

#4352110 - 04/19/17 04:17 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm hoping someone else will try to join, I've been having trouble since Sunday. I cannot complete a mission without getting paused.

#4352121 - 04/19/17 04:47 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Could it be Server-dude being in 2D after all?

I saw you in the list on the server - yes we must have missed eachothers by seconds!

E-3 AWACS confirmed, yes smile

Edit:
Breaking News, we've had a Stingray351 guesting the server while I was at work biggrin
Welcome and hopefully the server didn't blue-pause you too badly.

Last edited by theOden; 04/19/17 04:51 PM.
#4352128 - 04/19/17 05:14 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sorry man, I have no idea what is the cause. It could be on my end for all I know, but I do have a pretty fast connection. Still that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was hoping to fly some hops tonight. I'll give it another go but if it happens again I will have to stop. I've lost at least 10 air kills, 20 ground kills, 2 naval and a handful of static targets too biggrin

I seem to be able to set up my mission fine and takeoff, but somewhere along the way I get paused.

Are you saying server-dude is in 2D now?

#4352131 - 04/19/17 05:31 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Yes, server-dude has been 2D since I changed the sliders.
I will just grab me a snus after dinner here and go fly one Wonsan visit and see if I get blue-paused too (was OK yesterday with him in 2D and I killed that powerplant just north of Wonsan).
Will set him 3D again before midnight so if you try your evening let us hope for better stability else we need to keep this at weekend meet-ups with a player hosting.

Edit:
Unless you already know, you can check server up pressing Alt+c and o giving you a list telling connected folks are 3D or UI
(well, you can even if you know smile )

Last edited by theOden; 04/19/17 05:33 PM.
#4352146 - 04/19/17 06:32 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, here's what I see. I join fine. The connection established message happens as quickly as I expect. I get in, have a look about then frag something. Now, one of two things have happened in the past few days

1. Campaign clock stops and all units on the 2D map stop moving. I click comms and I am now the only thing in there. 'Server' has disappeared.
2. All seems fine and I take off and somewhere along the way the blue paused thing comes up. I exit the mission and again the comms (lobby) shows just me in there.

I can then reconnect back in. The server is still up. Just somehow I have been booted? Not sure what is going on.

#4352149 - 04/19/17 06:50 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Just flew with server-dude in 2D with no issues at all.
Even some "DISCO" guy joined, but only for a short visit.
No blue-pause.

I'm starting to think it's a connection issue, maybe the server simply put is too far away for you guys on the US side.
frown

Anyway, one less DPRK factory.

Payed them a 4xMk84 visit, like awesome guys do smile

[Linked Image]

Even used the Kodak Film Camera to check what I was aiming for:

[Linked Image]

On my way back I got two MiG-29's in my face!
(This is when you realize you should have 2 bags, always)
No idea where they came from, I mean - I must have passed them without noticing or could they actually have crossed the coastline south of Wonsan?

One amraam away and there was only 1 MiG left.
We got into a dogfight, and you guys know that THAT is NOT my arena.

Got a lock and let go of a 9M that seemed to have missed - actually I think that was a low level helo I had going (two white dots noticed briefly) but no joy.

Turned and turned and tuuuurned, got another lock.
This 9M missed too.

Frustration.

For whatever reason the MiG ran away and me hearing "Bingo" with that horrible FUEL warning in my HUD I knew had to figure out a way to get back home.

Landing at Osan with 400 lbs only after a "Declare Emergency" (only to be waved off 10 seconds later, what the hell Tower?).

[Linked Image]

At least I got Excellent rating.

#4352151 - 04/19/17 06:55 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great work!

That's really very cool that your dogfight ended in a draw with both pilots disengaging. There are very few sims where that is even a possibility. Almost all would see that AI continue to to the death.

'm starting to think it's a connection issue, maybe the server simply put is too far away for you guys on the US side.

Perhaps it's time to pull the trigger on that land in the Azores you've had your eye on biggrin

I really hope I am not out of this. I love what we are doing. And it worked OK for the past few weeks. I'll try again this evening.

Even used the Kodak Film Camera to check what I was aiming for:

Yeah? And it worked well didn't it? thumbsup

Last edited by DBond; 04/19/17 06:56 PM.

#4352155 - 04/19/17 07:01 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Azores, now we're talking biggrin

Could you, just for experiment, open your "Falcon BMS.cfg" inside \User\Config\ folder and set:

set g_bClientServerConnection 1 // Force CS connection

Just to see if there is any difference?

Besides the Azores solution I have been looking at upgrading my ISP connection (despite I don't like the ISP) since I host both DCS and ArmA3 from this server.
Maybe it is time to make a move on this.

Edit: Yes, the Kodak was great - will use it again.

Last edited by theOden; 04/19/17 07:01 PM.
#4352159 - 04/19/17 07:12 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, I will try whatever you suggest.

And you might have missed my edit in an earlier post

While changing the sliders, would you also ensure that both P'yongyang and Wonsan PAKS are turned up to 5 please?

And another edit you might not see.... Also set Sariwon to 5 if it isn't already?

What are you doing to get the target bearing and distance in your DED?

Last edited by DBond; 04/19/17 07:20 PM.

#4352171 - 04/19/17 07:45 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Will update PAK's asap.

target bearing?
You mean the numbers below steerpoint 15?
those are wind direction and speed, press SEQ once to toggle.

#4352174 - 04/19/17 07:51 PM Re: SimHQ Rolling Fire [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Server-dude is now in 3D drinking beer in his C-17 and PAK's are red as requested.
Good hunting!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.