Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4348678 - 04/03/17 05:15 AM Airfield attacks  
Macklroy Offline
Macklroy  Offline

I know there are some veteran WOFFers out there that have put in quite a bit more stick time than myself. I was hoping to get some info on tactics on those pesky airfield raids.

I'm currently flying my trusty Nieuport 17 and the comandante insists that we take our single pop-gun planes and attack an enemy airfield.
Problem is after returning from our endeavors all we have to show for it is a few holes in the wings of all of our craft and a scolding because the airfield wasn't damaged enough.

Is there a trick or 'soft target' to hit on these airfield runs to make the comandante happy? Or is he sending us on a fools errand?

PS - I didn't know how much I missed flying in this sim. Just recently picked up the UE and am just enthralled with every mission! Cudos to the OBD team and all the community who helped bring this sim to life in such great fashion. Cheers! cheers

#4348712 - 04/03/17 11:31 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Macklroy, many of us have come to realize that being sent to attack an airfield with nothing more than your MGs is not only ridiculous but quite historically inaccurate. I recommend you start using Jara's Mission Editor and avoid completely these little forays into the ludicrous.

Cheers!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4348761 - 04/03/17 02:59 PM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Pick a plane that can load rockets or bombs is a quick answer. Otherwise shoot at the planes parked in front of the hangers. Make your runs head on , low and slow, pull up and full throttle at once then circle arround to make another pass at the same plane. Most times it takes
two passes to flame a plane.

If returning planes are in the pattern take them out as you circle to make a low pass. The AA gunners will not shoot if you are close to one of there planes. Soon as you get "bingo" fuel and ammo bug out and climb for home.

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4348859 - 04/03/17 09:11 PM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I try to hit tents and boxes of crates on the theory that they are easier to destroy. The theory seems to be crap as I rarely get credit for any damage (or it could just be my poor shooting skills)

#4348873 - 04/03/17 10:42 PM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Another way to complete successfully airfield attack missions is to let your squad attack as usual, while you take care of the AAA nests. I came by this technique through sheer desperation. Typically, during the attack we get cut to ribbons without doing much damage ourselves. If you concentrate on the guns - they don't take much to destroy, you will do enough damage for the brass to consider it a success. If your squad manages to destroy anything else - it's a bonus. 50cal

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4348885 - 04/03/17 11:28 PM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
Macklroy Offline
Macklroy  Offline

Thanks for all of the great ideas gents. I tend to be wary of Mods, as I am usually that guy that once a mod is installed my game never quite works as intended ever again...
I did decide to switch my attack to the parked planes, only I had expended too much ammo and wasn't able to cripple one in one pass.

There were a couple of boche two seaters returning to the airfield just as we were leaving. Was a little miffed I was Winchester and had to rtb....

I also noticed my flight flying a lazy, low altitude circle around the field after the attack. Could it have been because the mission was not yet a success so they decided to hang around? After two full circuits around the field, trying to play catch with the archie, I bid my wingmates good luck and god speed while I turned for home.

#4348898 - 04/04/17 12:54 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Maciroy,

Sometimes, if I'm leading, I simply fly a distant offensive patrol. The boss doesn't like it and sends me back, but I simply do the same thing again and he finds someone else to pick on.

#4348901 - 04/04/17 01:03 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I would recommend taking rockets. Try using those on the hangars. Then use the rest of your guns on the house. You should have enough ammo to take it out. There is definitely a minimum damage threshold for success. Arm the rest of your flight with rockets and hope for the best! (Even then it might not work!)

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4348907 - 04/04/17 02:10 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Nice video, Rick. Did you get any credit for the two kills? And how was the airfield damage credited?

Just curious.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4348913 - 04/04/17 03:24 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: HumanDrone]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by HumanDrone
Nice video, Rick. Did you get any credit for the two kills? And how was the airfield damage credited?

Just curious.

Hmm. I had to go look. Apparently, it's a long standing complaint...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4348917 - 04/04/17 05:23 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Macklroy
I also noticed my flight flying a lazy, low altitude circle around the field after the attack. Could it have been because the mission was not yet a success so they decided to hang around? After two full circuits around the field, trying to play catch with the archie, I bid my wingmates good luck and god speed while I turned for home.

You have to tell your wingmen to rejoin (R). From the WOFF documerntation:

Rejoin
This is a revised implementation of an existing command.
It should really be named "AbortGroundAttack".
Operation
1. Ground searches are terminated
2. Formation aircraft are instructed to terminate ground attack. This will not take place immediately if the aircraft are
performing an attack run or otherwise engaged.
3. Following termination the aircraft will form up on leader.
Prohibitions
1. The player must be formation leader to issue this command.

#4348920 - 04/04/17 05:47 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Thanks for all of the great ideas gents. I tend to be wary of Mods, as I am usually that guy that once a mod is installed my game never quite works as intended ever again...

So, then you could not play WOFF UE either, because it is CFS3 mod biggrin

#4348922 - 04/04/17 05:57 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: JJJ65]  
Macklroy Offline
Macklroy  Offline

Originally Posted by JJJ65

So, then you could not play WOFF UE either, because it is CFS3 mod biggrin

Touche!

Lucky for me, the gents at OBD have made it an idiot proof all-in-one install! smile

#4348931 - 04/04/17 10:24 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: 77_Scout]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY

Originally Posted by 77_Scout

You have to tell your wingmen to rejoin (R). From the WOFF documerntation:

Rejoin
This is a revised implementation of an existing command.
It should really be named "AbortGroundAttack".
Operation
1. Ground searches are terminated
2. Formation aircraft are instructed to terminate ground attack. This will not take place immediately if the aircraft are
performing an attack run or otherwise engaged.
3. Following termination the aircraft will form up on leader.
Prohibitions
1. The player must be formation leader to issue this command.

I think the issue is that, when you are not in the lead, the Leader sometimes rejoins the flight at low altitude over the field. I'm not sure why the rejoin waypoint altitude should ever be particularly low unless forced low by an overcast. But sometimes it just turns out that way.

I try to stick to shooting the houses as they seem to be easy to hit an count towards damage...sometimes. wink

#4349118 - 04/05/17 12:46 AM Re: Airfield attacks [Re: Macklroy]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
MackIroy, I'm leery of mods, too! I kinda do the same thing as Raine even if I'm not the leader. I just fly with everybody but don't go low to attack. I fly top cover. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it and the CO can eat frogs if he doesn't like it (I usually fly with the German Gentlemen)! The mission will fail then we do it again until we don't have to repeat it anymore.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse