Hop To
#4348827 - 04/03/17 07:16 PM MFG Crosswinds  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anyone using these? I think it's time to replace my TM Elites. I've always hated them, and I want a better solution. Any opinions on them?

Is the only way to purchase them direct?

What keeps them in place on the floor? They look like they will slide out.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4348860 - 04/03/17 09:24 PM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I'm more of a SLAW fan myself, and you can clearly see it's made to be mounted. I think the MFGs would be the same.

- Ice
#4348896 - 04/04/17 12:40 AM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Do you have Slaws? I have no pit, so nowhere to mount, at least for the time being. I do have a room upstairs in the house I recently bought that I call my office, but it could easily become my pit room I would think. Anyway, I could easily fashion a stable mounting solution. The Slaws are amazing, like industrial art ya know? but they are a couple hundred dollars more, plus they look quite a bit wider and there's a wait list?

I think the Crosswinds would meet my needs, well no doubt they would. They could probably be considered the next best thing after the Slaw Vipers. And I imagine some would prefer them. There's a very well-written review here at SimHQ

http://www.SimHQ.com/air-combat/mfg-crosswind-pedals.html

#4348944 - 04/04/17 11:08 AM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No, just Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Pro Flight pedals before that. Never really felt the need for that much more in pedals.... next on my list is a FSSB or FCC mod for the stick, then I'll probably mod my throttle before spending anything on upgrading my rudders.

- Ice
#4348952 - 04/04/17 12:11 PM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, anything is better than what I have now. Your peripheral map seems sound thumbsup

All this sideways landing I'm doing lately is what has me thinking about a better solution.

#4349146 - 04/05/17 03:29 AM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: DBond]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
The correct way to land the F-16 is in the crab. The Viper will straighten out in the direction of the FPM as soon as the rubber hits the pavement. Adding rudder on approach doesn't work well w/ the flight computer which makes corrections with all control surfaces. In other words, your fighting for rudder control with the FLCS.

If you don't have head-tracking, then this is a bit more difficult, but after you get used to the "picture" landing crabbed, it becomes normal. You can side-slip, the F-16 (I've done it), but it is way more wobbly on touchdown, than if you just crab and let everything work itself out.

For Falcon, I use rudders for taxi and in a dogfight occasionally when jinking. That being said, I would feel lost without 'em. It's kinda like saying, you'll never need OSB 16 on you MFD, but it's nice to know it's there in case you do!

What issss your favorite color??

Yellow, no! Blueeeahhhhhhhh.....

[Linked Image]
#4349196 - 04/05/17 12:44 PM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great Jason, now I have no justification for spending all that money. Thanks a lot biggrin

We were crabbing it in last night on Kimpo Three-Two. FPM off-the-HUD sort of stuff. Good fun!

Bah, regardless, I still want good pedals. I'll need to pick up a prop sim to justify. Or re-install EECH or sumpin'.

I ditched my Elites soon after getting back in to Falcon back in January. I hate them. They are terrible. 15 years ago they were terrible. So I've been flying without pedals. Still, I don't feel right without my feet on 'em. Plus the Crosswinds look fantastic and when folks come 'round I can show them off lol.

Who would cross the threshold of death
must answer me these questions three
And the hotpits he see

#4349206 - 04/05/17 01:16 PM Re: MFG Crosswinds [Re: schnidrman]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by schnidrman
Adding rudder on approach doesn't work well w/ the flight computer which makes corrections with all control surfaces. In other words, your fighting for rudder control with the FLCS.

Kick the rudder and the F-16 not only yaws but also rolls, so to compensate, you'd have to put in a little bit of stick pressure. Why juggle with 2-3 control surfaces when you can just crab? I do tend to "straighten out" a bit as I land, I don't like the idea of too much crab angle, but that's just me and I don't know if that's correct or not.

I would recommend the Saitek pedals but it seems that they're scarce at the moment which has blown prices out of proportion. When they were stupidly-cheap compared to the high-end ones, it was a no-brainer to get them. Not so sure now with the higher price point...

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.