#4348198 - 03/31/17 11:29 PM Getting rid off the fog  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Here's a pic of stock WOFF:
[Linked Image]

And here's a pic of WOFF when you remove the fog at the horizon:
[Linked Image]

You can see for miles and miles. This unfortunately only works in QC and not in Campaign mode. I suspect random weather is somehow overriding the setting "NoRain" in the clouds.xmls.
I'd like to pose a question to the weather mod Gods. Is it possible to remove this fog? What setting needs to be hacked? I really don't care for this wall of fog.

Attached Files Stock.jpgNo Fog.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4348213 - 04/01/17 12:33 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
+1

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4348214 - 04/01/17 12:37 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Wow. I would love that!

I wonder if FPS would drop dramatically in campaign since the fog wouldn't limit the front activity

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4348230 - 04/01/17 02:24 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: AceMedic88]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by AceMedic88
Wow. I would love that!

I wonder if FPS would drop dramatically in campaign since the fog wouldn't limit the front activity

Ace, I thought the same thing, that increasing the visibility range would reduce FPS, but then I looked at the stats in the corner of those pictures and it tells a different story. The picture with fog shows 102 FPS. The picture without fog shows 120! I'll have to do a few more runs tomorrow to confirm it, but if I can look further up the field and gain 20 FPS in the process, then I'm sold. Obviously in campaign mode it could be totally different story.

#4348234 - 04/01/17 03:25 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I'm sold regardless!

#4348282 - 04/01/17 11:58 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
Sowercrowd Offline
Sowercrowd  Offline

Thuringia
Gentlemen, you can have this in campaign without problems ,as long as you select your edited 'Custom Weather'
patterns in 'briefing room'( take a look at the ' expanded horizon' post pinned by Stache). However, if you keep 'Auto Weather' ,then 'OFFDynamicMissionWeather. xml' file is generated by WOFF every time again and will give you a mix view distances in flight. For example, you might take of and experience a wide horizon ,then suddenly it gets narrow as you fly on, then it could suddenly get better again.... Woff's dynamic weather generator is triggered by certain longitudinal and latitudinal values, so as you reach a certain point of your flight course, the next weather state kick's in and so on. Unfortunately, the OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml file ,which is composed of the different 'Off_...xml.'files inside the weather folder, combines those by adding the "HeavyRain" precipType. So you won't have consistent far view in flight, even if you removed each and any "HeavyRain" precipType from the entire weather folder , the only way to 'see forever on a clear day ' is to not use 'Auto Weather'. In the end ,the use of dynamic weather in campaign should be notable changes during your flight,including worsening visibility shouldn't it ? From that point of view, you could use auto weather in most sorties, if you don't mind the transitions between the different weather states (as i do)...If this post shed some light on this hazy issue i'd be very glad . The sim looks so beautiful with expanded horizon , hopefully all of you will enjoy it soon !

#4348328 - 04/01/17 03:21 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The fog on the horizon can be removed, I believe, even in the campaign. I checked, and the OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml file is created when you click on the "Briefing Room" button. I then hit alt-tab and located the file in the weather folder and opened it with Textpad. I then searched for all instances of precipType="HeavyRain" and replaced​ each entry with precipType="NoRain" (this is quite simple with Textpad), saved, and started the mission. The mission loaded without error and the fog seemed to be gone!

JJJ65, or someone else familiar with programming in Visual Basic (which I am not), should be able to put together a simple program to read the OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml and make the changes fairly easily, at least I would assume.

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 04/01/17 10:42 PM. Reason: Correction

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4348331 - 04/01/17 03:29 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
On rainy days, without the fog, would there still be a drop in visibility (realistically)?

#4348341 - 04/01/17 04:03 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I believe so. It still looked fairly hazy, but I wasn't paying too much attention at the time. Later, I will try and run some tests. My original tests were on clear, sunny days, so it may look somewhat different on rainy or cloudy days.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4348370 - 04/01/17 06:34 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
T

JJJ65, or someone else familiar with programming in Visual Basic (which I am not), should be able to put together a simple program to read the OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml and make the changes fairly easily, at least I would assume.

I am working on that in my Mission editor - Wind mod. Just try it - open Mission editor, click Save button and you will be presented with Wind mod. It reads and modifies OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml file. Suggest what features/data would you want to add/modify, pls.

#4348405 - 04/01/17 09:28 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Great Thread!!!....all these years....I've NEVER bothered to touch the other buttons in the briefing screen. Looks to me like the Devs have put some of these mods in our hands already....and I for one have failed to get it. My aject apolgies. Good show Sowercrowd! Thx

#4348419 - 04/01/17 10:40 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: JJJ65]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I do use your fantastic mission editor. It is next to JSGME, probably the most indispensable mod out there for use in WOFF. If you can add a feature to eliminate the hazy horizon (at least on clear days) that would be great.

On rainy or cloudy days, it's probably better not to change HeavyRain to NoRain in the OffDynamicMissionWeather file. When I did that earlier today, the horizon was further away, but it was also too clear, considering the cloudy and rainy conditions.

#4348421 - 04/01/17 10:49 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Thanks buckeye for testing out rainy days. Looks like we can further the realism in the game!

#4348437 - 04/01/17 11:46 PM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
+1 Ace.

From now on, or at least until JJJ65 hopefully adds it to his mission editor, whenever I see the weather in the briefing screen as "Good - some clouds" or "Light Clouds" I will edit the OffDynamicMissionWeather file to remove the haze.

#4348442 - 04/02/17 12:29 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
BuckeyeBob, you can try the "LightRain" setting for rainy days. Still some fog at the horizon but further out than the "wall" in "HeavyRain". See it that helps. Perhaps we could use "LightRain" as default to get the sense of atmosphere? "NoRain" may feel too "clean". What do you think?

#4348445 - 04/02/17 12:33 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Sowercrowd]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by Sowercrowd
Gentlemen, you can have this in campaign without problems ,as long as you select your edited 'Custom Weather'
patterns in 'briefing room'( take a look at the ' expanded horizon' post pinned by Stache). However, if you keep 'Auto Weather' ,then 'OFFDynamicMissionWeather. xml' file is generated by WOFF every time again and will give you a mix view distances in flight. For example, you might take of and experience a wide horizon ,then suddenly it gets narrow as you fly on, then it could suddenly get better again.... Woff's dynamic weather generator is triggered by certain longitudinal and latitudinal values, so as you reach a certain point of your flight course, the next weather state kick's in and so on. Unfortunately, the OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml file ,which is composed of the different 'Off_...xml.'files inside the weather folder, combines those by adding the "HeavyRain" precipType. So you won't have consistent far view in flight, even if you removed each and any "HeavyRain" precipType from the entire weather folder , the only way to 'see forever on a clear day ' is to not use 'Auto Weather'. In the end ,the use of dynamic weather in campaign should be notable changes during your flight,including worsening visibility shouldn't it ? From that point of view, you could use auto weather in most sorties, if you don't mind the transitions between the different weather states (as i do)...If this post shed some light on this hazy issue i'd be very glad . The sim looks so beautiful with expanded horizon , hopefully all of you will enjoy it soon !

Sowercrowd, Yes, that is the thread I used with the original idea. All credit goes to you. And thanks for the tip to turn off the dynamic weather, although I think that is a deal breaker for me and will stay away from that. I like the randomness. Fingers crossed JJJ65 can make it work with the Campaign in the ME.

#4348447 - 04/02/17 12:40 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: JJJ65]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by JJJ65
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
T

I am working on that in my Mission editor - Wind mod. Just try it - open Mission editor, click Save button and you will be presented with Wind mod. It reads and modifies OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml file. Suggest what features/data would you want to add/modify, pls.

Triple-J, thanks for looking into this. As to the features that relate to the horizon fog, perhaps have an option for no fog (NoRain), some fog (LightRain) and standard WOFF (HeavyRain). Thanks again!
On an unrelated note, is it possible to get light rain as a transition before normal rain starts to fall? I'm talking about the rain animation - not the horizon fog. Typically WOFF transitions from clear sunny skies to cats and dogs weather within 1 second. It would be nice to have sunny - light rain - heavy rain transition. Is such a thing possible?

#4348489 - 04/02/17 04:47 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Thx guys for your investigation and testing.
Just, be so kind, pls, can you summarize what values/data you want me to modify via ME Weather mod? I will write code for it, however I do not know WOFF weather engine mechanisms. So far I "studied" only wind procedures: speed, directions, turbulence (bumps), gustings, etc. Rains, fogs and clouds are unknow to me yet but I would like to know "how to".

#4348492 - 04/02/17 05:42 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
JJJ, please see the first post in this thread for pictures of the effect we are looking for. I think it can be accomplished by editing the OffDynamicMissionWeather.xml file. You would need to search and replace all instances of precipType="HeavyRain" with precipType="NoRain" The problem is that this should probably only be done when the weather is either "Good - some clouds" or is "Light Clouds" My testing reveals that changing precipType to NoRain or LightRain on cloudy or rainy days is not as visually pleasing (I'll put up pictures tomorrow, but right now must ... get ... sleep). sleepy

#4348495 - 04/02/17 06:21 AM Re: Getting rid off the fog [Re: Fullofit]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
OK, BuckeyeBob, thx, that would be quite easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.