Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4347693 - 03/29/17 04:58 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
<I'm listening to the original "Beauty and the Beast" CD Soundtrack while doing yard work today.>

Oh you mean the French language one directed by Jean Cocteau? wink

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038348/?ref_=nm_knf_t1

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/29/17 04:58 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4347695 - 03/29/17 05:04 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
<I'm listening to the original "Beauty and the Beast" CD Soundtrack while doing yard work today.>

Oh you mean the French language one directed by Jean Cocteau? wink

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038348/?ref_=nm_knf_t1

biggrin

I'd say, "You got me!" but there isn't a CD Soundtrack for this one, so I'm still listening to the original "'Beauty and the Beast' CD Soundtrack". neaner

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4347697 - 03/29/17 05:22 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Sure, they don't care about the 50 and over demographic (except for the occasional story about old dudes deciding to rob a bank). I think every age group is grown tired of the pandering, the preaching, the product marketing, the hypocrisy, and the general insult of the intelligence of the audience. When was the last time you walked out of a movie theater and felt moved by the story itself.

Last edited by LB4LB; 03/29/17 05:32 PM.
#4347698 - 03/29/17 05:44 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: LB4LB]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB
. When was the last time you walked out of a movie theater and felt moved by the story itself.

SW: Rogue One. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4347699 - 03/29/17 05:53 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I know, I'm a cynical #%&*$#.

#4347706 - 03/29/17 06:59 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

The constant comic book reboots are getting old.

Although, I found Guardians of the Galaxy to be so original that I didn't really care.

#4347707 - 03/29/17 07:05 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: bonchie]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bonchie

Although, I found Guardians of the Galaxy to be so original that I didn't really care.

In my case, I had no clue about the comic book and I even had a feeling that the movie was going to be a box office dud since it was a sci-fi film that was not already an established franchise like Star Wars or Star Trek. I was quite happy to be proven wrong!

#4347722 - 03/29/17 08:06 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

I hope this new version is similar enough to the animated one, I have much nostalgia for most 90's Disney animated blockbusters. In my CD collection are the soundtracks for "Little Mermaid", "Aladdin", "Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast" and "Tarzan" off the top of my head. In this case, I don't mind a remake if it's similar enough.

From what I've heard, it's pretty much identical to the animated film with the addition of some extra character stuff that a 2 hr film has time for.

Maleficent was a total redo of Sleeping Beauty, almost no connection to the animated one at all. That said, it was a fascinating retelling.
Cinderella was...it just was. It didn't really seem to have been worth making.
Jungle Book was a good idea that I didn't care as much for because I felt it needed to be more musical than it was. Bill Murray was a good Baloo other than he was no Phil Harris. Christopher Walken was good but he was no Louis Prima. The simple brilliance of the 1967 "I Wanna Be Like You" and "Bear Necessities" was missing. Also, it was amazing to me that they held a wide casting session to find a boy who couldn't sing, yet the original just cast the director's son as Mowgli and he did a superior job on the songs.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4347749 - 03/29/17 10:56 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: Jedi Master]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm a little fuzzy with Disney's timeline, I lost interest with "Pocahontas" (never saw it so it wasn't the movie itself, just the times) with the exception of "Toy Story" and "Cars". Now that I think about it, "Cars" was the last movie I saw in a theater on release.

Originally Posted by Wklink
Beauty and the Beast-A remake of a very good cartoon that has made some questionable decisions on character development which may turn off some families from attending.

Interesting. Disney (the folks who gave us "Pleasure Island" from 1989 to 2008) movies have occasional sexual innuendo/tension, but keeps it so subtle that the kiddies (and maybe some adults) never catch on. Same with their theme park performances. I remember going to Universal (in the 90's) and thinking the shows were sleazy compared with Disney, which always stayed classy, IMO. I hope that hasn't changed.

Last edited by MarkG; 03/29/17 11:39 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4347834 - 03/30/17 01:22 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's a fake outrage thing. Watch 90s BatB again. Tell me the animated LeFou was someone you thought was interested in women without lying to me.

I'm tired of people who want to live in a bubble and not acknowledge the world around them. The world isn't here for you. If you don't like it, too bad. It's not going to change to make you happy. Accept it or leave it, those are your choices.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4347844 - 03/30/17 01:50 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: Wklink]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Originally Posted by Wklink

I agree with you except two of those movies were based on shows that people now in their 40s and 50s remember from their youth. The target audience may be people under 30 but I don't know of any teenagers going, 'Gosh, I would love to see a Mighty Morphing Power Rangers movie!'.

My 11 year old daughter loves the power rangers (or more specifically their enemies). I concede this is probably somewhat unusual though, and not something I'd base movie production on.

#4347922 - 03/30/17 06:19 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
power rangers was effing awesome and so not lame!!!!! .. at least to a kid of the times .. though they've totally ruined it .. its got a big budget, effects that look like their supposed to, no dodgy animal models or anything! rant-on-off biggrin

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4347936 - 03/30/17 07:21 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: LB4LB]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Originally Posted by LB4LB
Sure, they don't care about the 50 and over demographic (except for the occasional story about old dudes deciding to rob a bank). I think every age group is grown tired of the pandering, the preaching, the product marketing, the hypocrisy, and the general insult of the intelligence of the audience. When was the last time you walked out of a movie theater and felt moved by the story itself?

January - A Monster Calls. No one went to see it despite being a fantastic movie. It's easily in my top 25 - maybe top ten. It starred Felicity Jones, the same girl who was the hero in Star Wars: Rogue One and the movie about Stephen Hawking. Liam Neeson voiced the monster. The boy was beyond his years in ability and should he have not done as remarkably as he did the movie would have been nowhere near as emotional or moving.

A movie like this is rare but at the same time I enjoyed SPLIT for MacAvoy's performance as the multiple personality antagonist. I was one who saw Kong and got what I expected - a movie to hit with the same excitement I did watching stupid monster movies as a kid. It succeeded but I admit it wasn't high art (though graphically it was amazing to look at). I usually get what I expect from a movie and try to go in with that sort of mind set.

So there are movies out there that are original but as pointed out they tend to not do as well as the tried and true staples. Sad for great movies like A Monster Calls.

#4347966 - 03/30/17 10:00 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: Jedi Master]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
It's a fake outrage thing. Watch 90s BatB again. Tell me the animated LeFou was someone you thought was interested in women without lying to me.

Ah, ok. At first I thought maybe they were implying Beast was tapping Belle (as the world turns today, first sex and then a possible relationship). But then I thought, "Nah, too racy" (even if you think of Beast as a transformed human). And that might not be within the rules of the scenario anyway, before the last rose pedal withers and falls. I really don't remember the entire story, getting it confused now with "Robot Chicken". smile

Then I thought same sex or maybe, what's it called...transgender? That's easy, the clock and the candlestick (think Skipper and his "little buddy" Gilligan). biggrin But no, wasn't the candlestick all over one of the female dishes in the last one?

LeFou, huh? Honestly, I didn't see this coming, I thought LeFou was just a loser suckup. But he does seem to have a fixation on Gaston, I was reminded of this in the soundtrack.

++++++++++

For anyone who thinks it's weird to critique "Beauty and the Beast" in this way, try looking at Disney through the eyes of a non-parent. I had a WDW annual pass (x 2) for 4 or 5 years, plus many more trips with multi-day passes, plus lots and lots of swag. The rat wanted our dollars as much as anyone else's and received them by the thousands...because he knew how to entertain us.

The sun is in the east
#4347971 - 03/30/17 10:24 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
OK here we go the last movie I saw was "The passion of the Christ" at least I think that was the name it was a movie directed by Mel Gibson before that it was "The Longest Day " many moons ago..i hate crowds and with the advent of big assed TV screens I'm happy to stay home and watch a bit of TV ..Still am uncomfortable around crowds,,And nothing really interests me in new movies.."Hacksaw Ridge" I watched on PPV at a big pizza and was happy..King Kong I prefer the B&W version..Yeah I'm an old dinosaur fart.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4348102 - 03/31/17 03:08 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It used to be going to the movies was the best way to see them. The alternative was with commercials, cut down and edited, ruining the flow and looking like crap on a 27" TV in the living room.

I saw a ton of films in the theater until the mid-2000's. By then, my home system was so good and prices were going up enough that it became a thing only for BIG films. That's still how I treat it, but my definition of BIG has gone up. I see maybe 6-7 films a year now out, the rest I buy or rent. smile

The Jedi Master

#4348107 - 03/31/17 03:35 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Jedi's sentiment is shared by me and by millions of other people. That's the reality that the film studios and theater chains are desperately trying to fight. Many studios now are wanting the release window for home use to shrink to about 20-30 days after the theatrical release and are even willing to share some of the revenue with the theater chains in exchange.

#4348131 - 03/31/17 06:24 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The problem is that the "good" audience has dwindled while the "jerk" audience, you know the type that shoots people for throwing popcorn, has stayed steady.

Unless theaters get aggressive about kicking the jerks out for being jerks the people won't return.

The Jedi Master

#4349414 - 04/06/17 03:10 AM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: Jedi Master]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
The problem is that the "good" audience has dwindled while the "jerk" audience, you know the type that shoots people for throwing popcorn, has stayed steady.

Unless theaters get aggressive about kicking the jerks out for being jerks the people won't return.

The Jedi Master

Cell phones have only added to the jerk syndrome.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4349457 - 04/06/17 12:07 PM Re: The current state of the Hollywood film industry [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
There is no doubt that there are many jerks in movie theaters who make the experience a bad one but that's not a major factor on why less and less consumers are going to see movies in the theater. It's really all about the consumers having other options now that are more convenient and cheaper.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.