Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4347233 - 03/27/17 04:15 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Here's a funny video with her dad going on a rant at around 2:10 and goes on a rant in Ilonggo...

link

You can also note that the daughter speaks very good english but transitions to Ilonggo when speaking with her dad...

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4347235 - 03/27/17 04:21 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
When I type in French I have an accent Aigu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
#4347240 - 03/27/17 04:32 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Dart

My Southern drawl waxes and wanes depending on circumstance and audience. Or even topic.

And of course there are varying levels of the "Southern accent" intensity. I've met people who sound just like Foghorn Leghorn from Looney Tunes and I've met people who have just the slightest hint of a Southern accent like what you hear from Bill Clinton or Julianne Moore (film actress).

The wife has this softened Northern Alabama accent that is entrancing.

The big thing between Southerners and Others is in syntax and how information is given. I had to un-learn this in the Army.

Yankees and Others:

Event.
Place.
People.

Southerners:

People.
Place.
Event.

So if one is in a hurry to find out what happened when talking to a Southerner, take a deep breath and wait for it. The context always comes first.

Oddly enough, when I was young and could speak some German, the relatives said my accent wasn't bad at all. They didn't tell me they were teaching me Swabish, so I got some laughs when I was stationed in Baumholder. Sort of like if a German learned English in Alabama and then went to Wisconsin.

[edit]

My Mom and Dad's English is nearly perfect. You can tell that English is a second language, but a close second.

Last edited by Dart; 03/27/17 04:33 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4347255 - 03/27/17 04:50 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: - Ice]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by - Ice

Here's a foreigner doing a very good job... initially speaking in Bisaya/Cebuano and then a little of Ilonngo/Hiligaynon around the 1:44 mark. Not "authentic" obviously but see if you can spot the differences between the Bisaya and Ilonngo accents even if you don't understand the dialect.

link.

And now Ice has really put me to shame, hahaha!

Re: my mom, she to me sounds like an American, except for a few things here and there. My wife says she can hear the accent in my mom pretty easily though, so maybe I'm just used to hearing itm I dunno.

Now, what about Ilocano?

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4347289 - 03/27/17 07:20 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

My dad's family was originally from a place where Ilocano is spoken and when some people find out where my dad's from, they get excited because they think I can speak Ilocano.... however, I've only visited the place 3x so never learned the dialect. frown

- Ice
#4347661 - 03/29/17 02:56 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I knew a Chinese girl in HS that was from Jamaica. She spoke neutral English, you couldn't tell where she was from. Yet one time I was on the phone with her when she started arguing with her mom. She slipped into this surreal Jamaican accent that I couldn't believe.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4348225 - 04/01/17 01:59 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Regarding actors and accents, it must be a challenge to avoid slipping into your native accent when you are acting in a non-native one and must trade dialogue with other actors who are speaking in your native accent. example:

Here's an example. Damian Lewis is an Englishman but is speaking in an American accent to another Englishman.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4348266 - 04/01/17 10:02 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Same thing when Jamie Bamber and James Callis conversed in BSG.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4348283 - 04/01/17 12:01 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: Plainsman]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted by Plainsman
It's not just the accent differences. The real learning is in the TRANSLATION! See the following example to help you all understand how to interpret a Minnesota. I'm originally from New Jersey, but my wife is a small rural town Minnesota gal. Minnesota is a passive-aggressive culture, not like the East Coast.

http://haddayr.livejournal.com/690693.html

Native Minnesotan here.. That is true for the most part. Coming from Northwestern MN I always thought this video series from 1993 was spot on. Even providing lessons. A lot kinder, gentler time. But now having been down in the twin cities for over 25 years things have changed. Fore I'm a minority now after the influx of Mexicans and Somalians. Not enough have watched the video. frown

http://www.tpt.org/how-to-talk-minnesotan/

#4348285 - 04/01/17 12:08 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Oiso, i glaub daß koana von Eich des verstehn dad wos mia in Bayern so redn (na guat, vialleicht a paar von de Deitschn und Österreicher hia). biggrin

Good luck running that through Google translate! biggrin

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4348312 - 04/01/17 02:10 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: Dart]  
warrior2seven Offline
warrior2seven  Offline

San Tan Valley, Az

My Southern drawl waxes and wanes depending on circumstance and audience. Or even topic.

And of course there are varying levels of the "Southern accent" intensity. I've met people who sound just like Foghorn Leghorn from Looney Tunes and I've met people who have just the slightest hint of a Southern accent like what you hear from Bill Clinton or Julianne Moore (film actress).

The wife has this softened Northern Alabama accent that is entrancing.

The big thing between Southerners and Others is in syntax and how information is given. I had to un-learn this in the Army.

Yankees and Others:

Event.
Place.
People.

Southerners:

People.
Place.
Event.

So if one is in a hurry to find out what happened when talking to a Southerner, take a deep breath and wait for it. The context always comes first.

Oddly enough, when I was young and could speak some German, the relatives said my accent wasn't bad at all. They didn't tell me they were teaching me Swabish, so I got some laughs when I was stationed in Baumholder. Sort of like if a German learned English in Alabama and then went to Wisconsin.

[edit]

My Mom and Dad's English is nearly perfect. You can tell that English is a second language, but a close second.

I spent nearly 7 years stationed at Baumholder. My wife is from Idar-Oberstein! My high school German was no use to me there and was often ragged on by her family and friends about accent and pronunciation. She of course speaks fluent English, and her accent is barely there anymore after living in the states for 10 years. My 11 year old daughter speaks German fluently with proper accent to boot.

US ARMY Infantry 2000-2007

#4348329 - 04/01/17 03:22 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: NH2112]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112

Both Damian Lewis and Jamie Bamber can do flawless American accents. So flawless that I thought they were both American born and raised actors.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4348417 - 04/01/17 10:38 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I was born in East Lancashire, left UK at 27, five years in Southern Africa then 40 something years in Australia.

Most people think I'm Scottish here, but the people from England that I meet sound to have awfully broad accents. I certainly don't have an Australian accent, though Strine sounds normal to me. Mailman has met me, let him post what my accent is. biggrin

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4348433 - 04/01/17 11:27 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Then again, there's no singular Australian accent. Not all Aussies sound like Paul Hogan. wink

As for me, I think I just have what they call a "non descript" American accent. I don't sound Southern, Cajun, New Yorker, New Englander or Mid-Western.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/01/17 11:31 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4348449 - 04/02/17 12:42 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: warrior2seven]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by warrior2seven

I spent nearly 7 years stationed at Baumholder. My wife is from Idar-Oberstein! My high school German was no use to me there and was often ragged on by her family and friends about accent and pronunciation. She of course speaks fluent English, and her accent is barely there anymore after living in the states for 10 years. My 11 year old daughter speaks German fluently with proper accent to boot.

I spent 2.5 years at Strassburg Kaserne in Idar-Oberstein, from 92-95. The whole Baumholder area was the best kept secret in Germany. A friend and I hiked & camped all over the area, and then there was the weekend 3 other friends and I canoed the Saar from Saarbrücken to where it meets the Moselle at Konz.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4348461 - 04/02/17 01:45 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System

Both Damian Lewis and Jamie Bamber can do flawless American accents.

I wouldn't call Lewis's accent flawless. Sometimes it can get a little mushy like he has something in his mouth.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4348497 - 04/02/17 07:10 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
My wife has a bit of a Scottish accent, but not to those of us from Scotland, and when we are talking I don't hear an accent.

Now, when she gets on the phone to me or anyone else and has to speak English then she has an accent to her English, her voice changes completely, at first I thought it was with me in not seeing her I took out the filters that my brain and ears put in when talking with her, but it is the same when I'm sitting there with her and she is speaking on the phone to one of her friends back in Scotland.

Weird smile

When we are watching TV she will ask me "where is that actor from?" and I have to guess from their accent. Now I can hear the differences between the people here and the surrounding towns and most certainly between the Flemish and the Dutch, my wife says she cannot hear the difference between an American and someone from the UK, never mind the difference between a US and Canadian accent smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4348517 - 04/02/17 10:42 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Being a Londoner, all you lot have accents, not me! smile
Us English don't bother with languages; just shout loudly at 'Jonny Foreigner' and the rum coves will understand.

Seriously though, it astounds me the competence of some non-English speakers that I have encountered in a number of countries, particularly Holland & Sweden. Not only grammatically correct without much of a trace of accent but using idiom, quirks and syntax.

I 'flew' with a chap, using 'Roger Wilco', (remember that?) for a number of years, not realising that he was a Norwegian!

I wonder how our fellow member 'Ice' (who writes excellent English by the way) coped with the regional accent where he lives now. Once working up in the North East of England I had to pretend to be slightly deaf, (to not cause offfence) asking locals to enunciate clearly so I could understand.

#4348546 - 04/02/17 01:40 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: NH2112]  
warrior2seven Offline
warrior2seven  Offline

San Tan Valley, Az
Originally Posted by warrior2seven

I spent 2.5 years at Strassburg Kaserne in Idar-Oberstein, from 92-95. The whole Baumholder area was the best kept secret in Germany. A friend and I hiked & camped all over the area, and then there was the weekend 3 other friends and I canoed the Saar from Saarbrücken to where it meets the Moselle at Konz.

I know Strassburg Kaserne well. I had a few friends that had housing up there. I got my Schützenscnur at the Artillerieshcule down the street.

US ARMY Infantry 2000-2007

#4348550 - 04/02/17 02:03 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: BD-123]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by BD-123
I wonder how our fellow member 'Ice' (who writes excellent English by the way) coped with the regional accent where he lives now. Once working up in the North East of England I had to pretend to be slightly deaf, (to not cause offfence) asking locals to enunciate clearly so I could understand.

Thanks for the compliment, BD! Quite interesting of you to say that seeing as another SimHQ member said this to me recently:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
There, I ignored your poor command of the language and addressed the points that you attempted, badly, to make.

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Addressing your concern, I've learned to listen to the local accent but I also find myself lip-reading a bit. With the guys at work, I just ask them to repeat themselves and after 3x and I still don't get it, I ask them if what they said was in english or "stockton-ese"... that gets a few laughs and they either spell out the word for me or choose a different word. I've done a few shifts in Sheffield and York and much prefer their accents there. I've not done any effort to adopt the local accent so after 7 years, I still sound American or Canadian to them smile

- Ice
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.