Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 49 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 48 49
#4344042 - 03/13/17 02:01 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With the Bengal run in the bag, I mulled over what to do next. I decided to go for the Shashanah and This is Persia achievements. To get both I would need to start as two-province Tarebestan, form Persia then core Anatolia, Greece and Egypt. Got off to a crappy start. Timmies were racked by separatists and a huge Persia popped out. D'oh! So I would then have to destroy Persia in order to form Persia. Maybe another time...

So then I decided to go for the Nobody Wants to Die achievement which requires owning Timbuktu as Songhai. Got crushed in my first war.

So then I decided to get Master of India, which means owning all of India as a European nation. I chose Portugal because I thought it would be challenging, but I think it was a poor choice as I'm struggling to gain enough force limit to even think about invading. I got Goa by event and Bahamis is quite angry over the whole affair. Well, at least I would have a reconquest CB if they take it back.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4344159 - 03/13/17 11:42 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
Originally Posted by DBond
Only good can come of this. I wonder... smile

Well liberty desire is at 68%... Vassals can't declare independence if you're already at war right? Maybe I just need to constantly make with with the Maghreb? smile

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4344167 - 03/14/17 12:20 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Subjects can declare independence wars while at war, or at least it was true. Whether it's been changed at some point I cannot say. I've never had it happen to me. You can reduce their LD by developing their provinces. Find one with low dev so that increasing it costs 50 or less. You would only need to hit the button four times to bring them under 50%.

Of course that makes them that much bigger, but I'd trade that for getting them to loyal status.

#4344215 - 03/14/17 06:00 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Subjects can declare independence wars while at war, or at least it was true. Whether it's been changed at some point I cannot say. I've never had it happen to me. You can reduce their LD by developing their provinces. Find one with low dev so that increasing it costs 50 or less. You would only need to hit the button four times to bring them under 50%..

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea, I was paying for the 'Support Loyalists' option which is -20% desire, some buildings and dev should be easy. I've also expanded my army somewhat to lower the 'subjects strength relative to own' modifier. Think that might be a losing battle against France though. Not that I'll be losing any battles with the mighty French army on my side!

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4344279 - 03/14/17 02:37 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No problem. Were you able to reduce it by 5% for each click of development? I wondered after I posted if perhaps it was DLC-dependent.

As for my Portugal run, it's almost 1600 and I have yet to attack India. I don't know why I would think I have a shot after having taken the whole game essentially as Bengal to take all of India. Now I think I can do it in half the time with Portugal's crap troops?

I ended up leading the Catholics in the League War after I was freakin' elected Emperor right before it kicked off. I wasn't even signed up and of course not even in the HRE. But all of a sudden everyone wanted to vote for me. It's like they all said no way man, not me! Let's elect Portugal, they won't even see it coming and then they will have to lead the war against Ottomans, Russia and most of the rest of it. But ya know what? We absolutely crushed it.. Looking at the lineup ahead of time I would not have given the Catholics much of a chance. But we had France with a PU over England and Spain on our side. I was surprised it all went so well. I was re-elected during the war and now have to try to find new electors who would vote for me. Most of the HRE flipped religion and I don't even care about being Emperor., even Austria went Reformed I don't have time for that stuff, enforcing religion and playing kindergarten cop. Actually, I don't want to be Emperor. The main business lies to the east. But I don't think I have a shot. I have only Defensive as a mil group so far. I need to take Quantity next to have a big enough army to support an invasion of India. So my troops are low quality. I have secured two alliances with Bahamnis' rival/neighbors, so this is feasible. I just don't think I have enough time left. I can go nuts once I hit admin efficiency level 3, so we will see.

#4344483 - 03/15/17 08:35 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
No problem, worked just fine, they're down to ~30% now. Finally broke my alliance with Milan, declared to seize all their provinces and come one step closer to the unification of Italy. They were allied with Spain-Aragon and I lost a few ships due to carelessness but one the whole an easy, straightforward war. Been pushing on tech too but I find myself lagging on dip, I seem to be really short of dip points this game. Maybe I've become used to the cheap, low develpment provinces outside of Europe?

Interesting choice of Emperor, I'm rarely chosen when even when playing in the Empire! I might have missed it but what are your plans for India? Conquest or just a few trade zones to funnel all that wealth back home?

#4344516 - 03/15/17 12:42 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, no plans really other than to take it. It's just the goal of the achievement I chose to try for. I quit that Portugal game anyway, and started over as Castile. I ended up getting stack wiped in India when I finally managed to attack.

I only had 12 transports, so I ran three shuttles back and forth from Lisbon to Goa, leaving the homeland entirely unguarded. Once this stack was ready, I attacked Bahmanis with Vijayanagar and Bengal as allies. I kicked off the war and quickly got in to a battle with a similar sized Bahmani stack. We were just a few phases from winning when they were reinforced by another stack which cracked my morale and got a forced retreat in to another enemy unit. This repeated itself four times until I had no army at all.

Our alliance was big enough to win, but I had to hope to avoid fighting all of the enemy on my own at the start. But I didn't and got spanked.

So I restarted as Castile. Sort of like Portugal but bigger and not crap troops. Got the Iberian Wedding but missed the BI. My biggest weakness with Portugal was force limit, and it's better with Castile. Plus their NIs are better for conquest. Problem is I don't get Goa by event to give me a bridgehead in India.

#4344680 - 03/16/17 12:32 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So I tried the alt-tab thing....

[Linked Image]

We beat Austria and her cronies plus an England/Brittany union to secure the PU over France and while that was going on we inherited Aragon. Forced Austria to cancel their alliance with England and rivalry with France, then we allied Austria after the war. Not bad for a few years work .

Edit, next day... Too bad we live on opposite sides of the big blue marble. You make a post and I reply 12 hours later, then I post and you reply 12 hours later smile

Switching to Castile was a good move. I've already gained a foothold in southern India by taking the island Ceylon starts on plus the mainland province on the other end of the strait. All before 1580. As Portugal I was busy getting crushed in 1610. And I did it solo, because all my allies decline due to distant war. I took all of the stuff they could colonize to be closer. Tactical error but strategic victory I suppose.

France has been quite a good lad. I PU'd a rather uninspired France, they hadn't expanded at all because England gave up Maine in the event. OK, so they got Maine biggrin As a result they have a pitiful navy and aren't any help in India. However it does allow me to ship the bulk of my army over there, as France and Portugal can defend the homeland.

It's all going rather swimmingly so far.

Attached Files alt-tab.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 03/16/17 04:25 PM.

#4345569 - 03/20/17 11:31 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
[Linked Image]

What a fun run this was. I was able to get the Master of India achievement, although by 1630 or so I was seriously doubting whether I could do it. The PU over France was a huge help, and I decided to actually integrate them. It took almost 40 years and tons of Dip mana, but it was a good move. The additional force limit and income were invaluable in getting this one done. You can see almost all of my realm in this shot. Spain/France, plus I grabbed Cornwall in England for a future beachhead, which I never pursued. It's 1761 in this shot so plenty of time left to take over England if I choose to. They have a huge navy, but so do I.

You can see I also hold South Africa, Austraila and New Zealand. Numerous islands throughout the world as well. You cannot see the two colonies in the New World, which I inherited when integrating France. I did no colonizing in the New World.

For Ideas I took Defensive, Exploration, Humanist, Quantity, Influence, Offensive and Diplomatic. I felt critically short of diplomats the entire game. Taking India was done by splitting the coring between feeding then diplo-annexing vassals and regular coring. Between the diplo-annexing and integrating France diplomats spent a lot of time tied up and unavailable for anything else.

Ottomans had grown ridiculously strong, and for once everyone else started to gang up on them. Near the end Ottos got stomped again and again. Protestants won the League War and at the end there were just 6 Catholic nations.

I am planning to swap the mobo in my dead desktop this afternoon, and if successful I'll be back in the air in F4. Plus I bought the new Deus Ex in the last Steam sale. So it might be a while before I start a new EU IV run. The new box has been dead a month so I'm itching to get it back up and running.

Attached Files spain.jpg

#4346445 - 03/24/17 01:21 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Very nice. I've never played as Castille/Spain in EU4. It was my first successful game in EU3 though.

It's been slow going but I need only one province (Aquilia) and I will finally have all of Italy under my control. I also have Sicilian Colombia and Australia.
The AI is also using the formable nations mod, GB has become UK and that blue blob in the HRE is Hesse-Nassau.
Most of the Magrab is also culture converted, I had a surplus of DIP and thought 'why not?'

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 20170324120517_1.jpg
Last edited by Security_Device_Enclosed; 03/24/17 01:27 AM.

#4346487 - 03/24/17 11:13 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Oops

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 20170324221148_1.jpg

#4346545 - 03/24/17 03:30 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, a bit of a pickle. And I say that only because you are so poorly positioned in this fight. They will surely come for you. Do you have a strong navy? If you can control the seas around Italy, you can just chokepoint them at the top in your mountain provinces. Did you build forts there?

Whose war is this? What is the target?

What happened to Lithuania, how did they explode?

#4346721 - 03/24/17 11:57 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Do you have a strong navy? If you can control the seas around Italy, you can just chokepoint them at the top in your mountain provinces. Did you build forts there?

Fairly strong and yes I have forts up in the mountains and have moved and merged a few stacks up there. I'm hoping France can help me by attacking across the North. Just want to peace out.

Whose war is this? What is the target?

Succession war with Austria over Savoy. I hit 'yes' without checking Alliances.

What happened to Lithuania, how did they explode?

Habsburg Poland happened. Hence why I wanted to contest Austria over Savoy. It's hard to make a move into the HRE when they've got multiple PUs and alliances...

#4346735 - 03/25/17 02:27 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Am I correct that Russia is an ally because they are green? If so, do you think they can be of much help, or is it just a convenient war for them to grab the adjacent red bits.

It will be interesting to see how you manage this situation.

Edit: What is the yellow green areas?

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 03/25/17 02:28 AM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4346778 - 03/25/17 10:56 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
The light green is territory I own, the dark green is cored territory. I think it was a few patches ago that Paradox introduced the states and territories feature. Basically territories cost much less to core but you get a 75% penalty to manpower, tax etc.

Yes, Russia is helping me out but I don't have high hopes for them.

#4346799 - 03/25/17 01:34 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
Am I correct that Russia is an ally because they are green? If so, do you think they can be of much help, or is it just a convenient war for them to grab the adjacent red bits.

Well technically, they are green because they are an ally, but I'm being pedantic and that's what you meant anyway biggrin

Russia tends to be a good ally mostly because it gives your enemies vast lands to occupy that aren't your own. Their armies tend to be huge --manpower too of course -- but they also tend to lag behind in tech.

As for them attempting to grab land.... it is possible, but unlikley unless they were to negotiate a separate peace. And AI allies rarely do unless they are getting beaten up, in which case they are in no position to demand territory. It's rare they will do this when thing are going well, unlike us treacherous humans.

As war leader it would be up to SDE to grant them provinces in the peace deal.

#4346801 - 03/25/17 01:42 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Security_Device_Enclosed

Fairly strong and yes I have forts up in the mountains and have moved and merged a few stacks up there. I'm hoping France can help me by attacking across the North. Just want to peace out

You probably do this, but since besiegers are now considered attackers when attacked themselves you should let them sit on your forts for a bit then hit them with a relief army, don't defend the fort province but sit just behind it. Do you ever use scorched earth? Use this in a mountain province with a fort and the sieging enemy stack will virtually melt. Maybe most of enemy is off dying on the Russian Steppe anyway right? smile

#4347387 - 03/28/17 04:56 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
End result - Not too bad, Austria retains PU over Savoy but I smashed them hard.

The initial assault came in waves and we were able to get a few bloody victories in, I then ordered France to focus on sieging down provinces, which they did but not the ones I wanted, I occupied all of Savoy and Austrian Burgundy when the second big wave of attacks came from the Turks. My manpower was getting low by now but thankfully they were busy fighting a multi-front war against Russia and the Mamluks. Poland didn't do much it looked like a war of attrition with Russia and Russia was slowly beating them back but the Poles and Livonians were occupying a good amount of land in turn. Russia peaced out at about 20% warscore, I think, might have been more.

That left me and France to do the heavy lifting, I told France to choose their own strategy and split my armies between a home guard and an siege force to push into the HRE, I managed to peace out a few minors but had some trouble with forts and military access, cost me a couple of potential victories. Britain didn't really do anything. A smallish stack passed through the France at some point but didn't stick around for long after besieging a couple of provinces.

Now it was time for the third wave of attacks, it was a real slog by now, low manpower and a peasant rebellion, I really didn't want to have to try to occupy multiple large powers and just focused on Austria. After hitting Wien and Prague things came pretty quickly, I was up to about 30% warscore or so and decided to offer cash and peace out. Turns out they really like cash.

I'll add some screens later.

#4347588 - 03/29/17 09:53 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
And Austria lost their PU over Savoy within the decade. clapping

Not that it makes a huge difference. Check out the dynastic map... Habsburg über alles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 20170329155618_1.jpg20170329155620_1.jpg

#4347620 - 03/29/17 01:33 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nicely done in that war.

Now, that's a proper Ottos for once smile

Page 25 of 49 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 48 49

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.