Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4347052 - 03/26/17 10:01 PM Need help with training  
442ndRCT Offline
442ndRCT  Offline

I’ve been flying Falcon for a short while so I’m not a complete newb. I’m familiar with the basics – takeoff, landing, using the A2A / A2G radars, some of the weapons. But I need to learn a lot more including how to understand the radars better, some of the more complex A2G weapons like the AGM 88, AGM 65, etc. And, also need to learn about AAR, TACAN, ILS, TFR, TGP, etc.

I’ve read the various manuals, run through the training TEs, viewed some YouTube videos but I just can’t seem to get a handle on many of the issues. For example - in TFR, the jet angles virtually straight up then straight down. I can’t seem to prevent this. With AAR, even though I’ve tried at least half a dozen times, the jet rocks up and down and I just can’t seem to get into position.

It’s been suggested I join a squadron but I’m not interested, at least not right now. Instead, I’d really like to find one, maybe two, instructors who’d be willing to help a fellow pilot learn as much of BMS as possible. Someone who’d be willing to offer some training in fun, enjoyable sessions. And patience is key because I'm not in my 20's anymore. In turn, I’m willing to put in the time / effort and make the commitment to learn.

I’m on the West Coast (PDT), can fly several nights per week (though real life can sometimes get in the way). For anybody willing to help, please PM me. Thanks.

442ndRCT

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4347063 - 03/26/17 10:42 PM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
First off, welcome to SimHQ and glad you're enjoying Falcon!

Second, I'll be honest and if you want help, you'll get much, much more help over in the official BMS forums. However, that does not mean we won't try to help you!! biggrin Just wanted you to know that if you want the "official" word, head on to the official forums.

Third, well, the best way to help you is to tackle one issue at a time. Or two smaller ones. For instance, you must be doing something wrong with your TFR for the jet to be acting that way. Refer to p.69 onwards on the BMS-Training.pdf manual for TFR training and if a step is confusing, come back here and we'll help. Suffice to say that TFR is working as I've had to do this TE a few times to check that my TFR button in my Helios profile works and syncs with the cockpit button.

As for AAR, this is quite difficult, but do-able. "Rocking up and down" sounds like a PIO - pilot-induced oscillation. Back off, stabilize, try again. A really cool addition to BMS 4.33 is that the old "tractor beam" from 4.32 is no longer there so you'll really have to fly your jet even after the boom has connected. Here's a quick video of my AAR practice:

link

Fourth... a few of us are trying to organize a few flights, just a few SimHQ members having fun. Might be something you'd like to join.... but as I'm not the one organizing, I don't think it's my place to invite so I'll let DBond step in on this one.

Hope that helps!

- Ice
#4347155 - 03/27/17 12:40 PM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey there RCT, welcome to SimHQ. Go for broke!

I'd be happy to fly with you, though I am not able to host at the mo, and frankly I'd be more student than teacher myself. I could show you how to shoot HARMs at friendlies without a problem though biggrin

I flew with Oden and Ice yesterday, but they are in Europe and it will be a challenge to get consistent flight time. Ice had to stay up very late in order to fly with me. So I need some guys here in the states where our flying time aligns better.

Schnidrman!!!!! Where are ya brother?

I am on the east coast. Ice was being polite deferring to me, but as it turns out I cannot host as I said, at least until we discover the trouble. If that gets squared then I can host often. Of all the things you listed the only two I could claim to be qualified in are HARMs and the TGP. Everything else on that list I need to work on myself.

Not in your 20s anymore eh? Well I think we are all a bunch of old farts. I'm 49 myself. SimHQ is Old Fart Central (unofficial name) So you'll fit right in.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4347208 - 03/27/17 03:00 PM Re: Need help with training [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by DBond
I could show you how to shoot HARMs at friendlies without a problem though biggrin

duh

I am on the east coast. Ice was being polite deferring to me

Well, I just thought that this SimHQ thing was your idea and I suspect once you've sorted out your hosting issues, you can fly more often, so might as well take the lead on this one. smile

Not in your 20s anymore eh? Well I think we are all a bunch of old farts. I'm 49 myself. SimHQ is Old Fart Central (unofficial name) So you'll fit right in.

Speak for yourselves guys. I may not be in my 20s, but it wasn't too long ago when I left it behind. biggrin

- Ice
#4347209 - 03/27/17 03:15 PM Re: Need help with training [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

... SimHQ is Old Fart Central (unofficial name)

Born 1967 myself, could we have this as a pop-up when logging in?
biggrin
But yeah, I'd love to help out but west coast is really TimeZone'd area from CET where I sit.
Feel free to post questions though and we'll answer as far as our knowledge reach - else I'm sure we can experiment out a good enough answer.

#4347221 - 03/27/17 03:56 PM Re: Need help with training [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by theOden
... SimHQ is Old Fart Central (unofficial name)

Born 1967 myself

See what I mean? A bunch of old farts... and Ice biggrin

'67 here as well. November to be precise.

#4347356 - 03/28/17 12:51 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: DBond]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri

Schnidrman!!!!! Where are ya brother?

Hey,

Got some things to attend to, so I'm out for a week or two. I might be able to get your hosting issue solved in the meantime.

Specify what exactly is the problem, i.e. can't connect as host, client can't connect, IVC not working etc.

What kind of router do you use and what are your port settings. Also, shoot me a screenshot of the host settings in the comms/phone book and maybe a speedtest analysis.

See ya soon!

[Linked Image]
#4347368 - 03/28/17 02:47 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No problem, take care of business first, always time to fly later.

My issue is that clients cannot connect to me. I can join other's games fine. We briefly tested IVC, and that was a fail, but I've done nothing to set that up as we are using TS3.

I am off from work tomorrow so can get you the info. I did a speed test and it showed 100 down and 120 up. The router is a Verizon Fios model, G-1100. I suspect my ports are not open correctly. It appears to me they are, but Falcon doesn't think so so clearly I've got it wrong. Don't want to hijack RCT's thread so any additional info I can put up in the Odyssey thread or maybe I'll start a MP thread.

#4347370 - 03/28/17 02:54 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
442ndRCT Offline
442ndRCT  Offline

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Ice, I looked at the BMS forums before I posted here. Yes, it does seem it's all things BMS, and "official" but I didn't want to post on different forums so I opted for SimHQ. Not sure that's appropriate and I'm not sure it'd be well received. I'm sure you're right about the PIO but no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get out of it. I know, practice, practice, practice. But it can get pretty darn frustrating when I've been trying so many times. I keep trying different areas of training because I just can't seem to get one thing down - like AAR. After trying it a dozen times now, I just need to try something different and then maybe go back to it again - though admittedly, that hasn't worked very well either.

DBond, sounds like your familiar with the 442nd ... nice! For what it's worth, I can host. So if you're able, maybe we can fly sometime and if you don't mind, I can pick your brain about the Harms and TGP. I realize you're on the East Coast so it might be tough to schedule something but I'm game if you are. Maybe drop me a line on my PM here?

Schnidrman, maybe I can ask the same of you? Would appreciate whatever help you can give.

For anyone that's willing to offer some guidance, other than Wednesday nights, I can make myself available on whatever nights work for you.

Thanks, all!

#4347374 - 03/28/17 03:01 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by 442ndRCT

DBond, sounds like your familiar with the 442nd ... nice!

Of course. most highly decorated regiment in US history. And that despite all they had to overcome.

For what it's worth, I can host. So if you're able, maybe we can fly sometime

Sounds good, we'll set it up.

About the PIO, is it possibly a spiking stick? The Viper should be quite stable at a steady speed. Nose'll drop or rise depending on decel or accel of course unless it's trimmed out.

Last edited by DBond; 03/28/17 03:08 AM.

#4347376 - 03/28/17 03:18 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
For me, I have found that some routers just don't do port forwarding very well. Even when all the firewalls are down. In this case, you can DMZ the ports to that particular PC. It leaves it vulnerable, but I haven't had any issues as long as you know how to stay on trusted sites. IOW, you don't want to do a lot of careless web browsing with this PC. Especially if you are using a browser from AOL or Yahoo etc.

Here is the wiki on it...

DMZ wiki

Last edited by schnidrman; 03/28/17 03:39 AM.

[Linked Image]
#4347377 - 03/28/17 03:38 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
@ RCT, sorry for the derail...I'll help w/ what I can, though, probably in a week or two.

[Linked Image]
#4347399 - 03/28/17 08:21 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Ice, I looked at the BMS forums before I posted here. Yes, it does seem it's all things BMS, and "official" but I didn't want to post on different forums so I opted for SimHQ. Not sure that's appropriate and I'm not sure it'd be well received.

Nothing to worry about there, RCT. Just thought I'd point it out... but like I said, by all means feel free to post here and we'll do our best to help out but we may have to point you to the original forums if we get stumped. biggrin

I'm sure you're right about the PIO but no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get out of it. I know, practice, practice, practice. But it can get pretty darn frustrating when I've been trying so many times. I keep trying different areas of training because I just can't seem to get one thing down - like AAR. After trying it a dozen times now, I just need to try something different and then maybe go back to it again - though admittedly, that hasn't worked very well either.

Do you PIO even on a normal flight? If so, then it may well be a controller issue. If not, don't worry. Over-correcting is the cause of PIO and we all do it. As for A-A refuelling, don't stress about it. There was a time when I thought being able to do this on a computer was just a myth and the people who could do it were either super talented, had great hardware, or were lying. However, one of the other SimHQ members I used to fly with decided we'd give it a try.... and as soon as you are able to connect just once, even if it's just for a few seconds, that dispels the myth of A-A refuelling altogether and you'll find that you can do it more and more after that.

There's a great thread about AAR experience in the BMS forums that should give you a good bit of insight. See my advice on post #9.

At this stage, I fire up Falcon just to do AARs and I do AARs both for practice and to help me relax. I still do PIO from time to time, especially when I'm really tired, but since I've done this so many times before and my confidence level is a bit higher than before, I **KNOW** I can do it so that's less pressure on me. I just identify that I'm in a PIO, back off, stabilize, then come back in. I'm currently building up my skill in topping up while the tanker is turning and sometimes I disconnect during the turn. Again, based on experience and confidence level, I know I can stick with it and practice re-connecting in a turn. I currently fly as #2 in package 4980 in the AAR TE and what this does is it gets the AI to refuel before I do. As you can see in the video I linked, the tanker turns soon after he disconnects so I either connect straight away or I'll have to connect in a turn. Also, I'm practicing the Quick Flow procedure which means I skip the pre-contact phase and I'm cleared to contact position straight away.

"Practice, practice, and more practice" sounds like cruel advice when you're getting frustrated, but trust me, you'll see the point. Slowly, you'll gain confidence in flying so close to something so big. Then you'll be able to put yourself in the correct position, even if only for a while. After that, you'll be able to stay in that position for longer. Before long, when you once had to slowly, slowly crawl into the correct position, you can now come in hot and at the last moment go throttle idle, open brakes, and just cruise into pre-contact. smile Even after that point, there's still more practice needed. When they say it's a "perishable skill," go on a week's holiday and you'll realize how quickly you become rusty....

For anyone that's willing to offer some guidance, other than Wednesday nights, I can make myself available on whatever nights work for you.

Pick a topic and I'll go up with a flight with you and we'll drop some bombs on KOTAR. I'm located in the UK, currently on BST (GMT+1), and I'm generally available anytime for the next two weeks as I'm on holiday biggrin

- Ice
#4347556 - 03/29/17 03:22 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
442ndRCT Offline
442ndRCT  Offline

Schnidrman,, no problem about the derail. And if you're still willing to help in a couple of weeks, maybe you could drop me a PM?. DBond's offered to help which I appreciate. I hope to be able to put to good use your knowledge and experience as well.

Ice, your suggestions, thoughts, comments are equally appreciated. Would enjoy the opportunity to learn from you as well, but I think the time difference might be a major obstacle. I'm generally home by 7:00pm PDT which, if I'm not mistaken, is 4:00am your time. I think weekends would be better but unfortunately, the next several weekends are already taken up.

BTW, FYI, I have a TM Warthog. From what little I know of sticks and my feel for it, it's been a great stick and I've never had any real issues with it. It's only about 2 years old but I've only been using it for the past year.

Thanks, all!

#4347590 - 03/29/17 10:00 AM Re: Need help with training [Re: 442ndRCT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, PDT is -8 hours BST (GMT+1) so that's quite inconvenient. 7pm for you is 3am for me, so it's a bit too early.... even 12mn for you is 8am for me. I guess unless you want to be flying around mid-day your time, it'll be difficult. frown

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.