Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4347123 - 03/27/17 10:52 AM Question about accents  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I know SimHQ has a lot of members who were born and raised in one country and then ended up emigrating to another country as an adult so I ask this question:

Did your native accent change at all after you were in your new country for a while or have you maintained it?

This question applies as well to people who have moved from one US state to another because accents can and DO vary a lot between different parts of the US.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4347134 - 03/27/17 11:14 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I've been told I have no discernible accent. When I was stationed down south people could obviously tell I wasn't a southerner, but couldn't tell where I was from based on my accent. I've been back in the Notheast for almost 20 yeas now and people have no idear I grew up here.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4347136 - 03/27/17 11:15 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I never had a strong accent in any case, I never took on a local accent :/ no idea why. I have a *slight* Yorkshire accent, despite being Scottish smile (Born in Scotland, raised in Yorkshire).

However, when moving to the Czech Republic, I DID have to speak differently, in that I had to lose all colloquialisms and cultural references.

Last edited by DM; 03/27/17 11:15 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4347140 - 03/27/17 11:20 AM Re: Question about accents [Re: NH2112]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112
I've been told I have no discernible accent. When I was stationed down south people could obviously tell I wasn't a southerner, but couldn't tell where I was from based on my accent. I've been back in the Notheast for almost 20 yeas now and people have no idear I grew up here.

To be honest, I have no idea whether or not Maine has any kind of "unique" accent if you will. I know they don't have the well known Baaaaastan accent and I know they don't sound like New Yawkers either. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4347152 - 03/27/17 12:30 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I spent 2 years in London and my family noted that when I came back I did so with an 'accent'. I didn't notice it myself.

Blimey! I was only in London fer bottle ov glue years. Bloody expensive place ter live I kept runnin' aaaht ov sausage an' mash. Nuff said, yeah?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4347156 - 03/27/17 12:53 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by NH2112

To be honest, I have no idea whether or not Maine has any kind of "unique" accent if you will. I know they don't have the well known Baaaaastan accent and I know they don't sound like New Yawkers either. smile

Finding a video that's not overdone is hard, but here are a couple that show the "Downeast" accent.

I think southwestern Maine, where about half the population is, has intermingled with out-of-staters for too long to have a definitive accent of its own.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4347157 - 03/27/17 01:03 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I've been told by Californians (specifically from San Francisco) that I have a Chicago accent. Honestly, I didn't think I did because when I see people talk on national news and such, they sound like me or anyone else I know. But the Californians said something like my Os are more elongated or something. BTW, the South Side Chicago accent made famous by the Superfans on Saturday Night Live is rarely heard in Chicago (Da Bears, Da Bulls, etc). It's a stereotype.

My wife, on the other hand, still has her Southeast Polish accent. Her English is eloquent, but her accent is still strong. I think if you come to a new country before the age of 12 or so you have a better chance of picking up the local accent than if you came in your later teen years or more. If anything it takes way longer to lose a former accent. My mom doesn't sound quite as Filipina as she did, but some people hav esaid that she still has some trace of accent left.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4347158 - 03/27/17 01:05 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for those videos NH2112. I see that I was totally wrong with what I said earlier! In the second video the older couple almost sound like they're from England.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/27/17 01:09 PM.

#4347163 - 03/27/17 01:28 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Thanks for those videos NH2112. I see that I was totally wrong with what I said earlier! In the second video the older couple almost sound like they're from England.

technically the majority (but not all!) of people who currently live in north america come from england pilot

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4347164 - 03/27/17 01:29 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Moved to Ohio from Connecticut about 10 years ago and folks here always say "Where are you from your accent isn't from around here? " My accent isn't Bostonian but more New England Yankee

Russ
Semper Fi
#4347165 - 03/27/17 01:34 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: Meatsheild]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Meatsheild

technically the majority (but not all!) of people who currently live in north america come from england pilot

Yes but there has now been 300+ years of divergence between the accents you find in England and the accents that arose in North America. smile

#4347170 - 03/27/17 01:56 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I fly on line with a man from Holland and he sure sounds British to me..hell his English is more correct than mine

Russ
Semper Fi
#4347182 - 03/27/17 02:19 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: rwatson]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by rwatson
I fly on line with a man from Holland and he sure sounds British to me..hell his English is more correct than mine

Some years ago I joined a Dutch BF clan. They all spoke very good English,most were perfect. My Dutch however was less than poor. They were also a great bunch of lads,I preferred them to other UK clans I later joined.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4347200 - 03/27/17 02:44 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Many Europeans sound British because I think their teachers are. smile More likely to have an Englishman teaching English in Germany or France than an American or Kiwi or Aussie, so that's the accent that comes out.

My wife's mother and her siblings all have different accents. They grew up in different places over the years, but only my mother in law has that thick NYC accent. Her older sister sounded more mid Western. Her younger brother grew up in FL and out west. Her older brother lived around DC.

Meanwhile, my father-in-law's family all have the same accent, but they all grew up in the same location for decades.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4347212 - 03/27/17 03:21 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
All you Americans sound funny to me ! I have what is called a "Townie" accent around here. Nfld was settled almost exclusively by folks from Devon and Dorset northern part of province and Waterford Ireland in the southern part. Hundreds of years of isolation preserved these accents very well . The two cultures met in the capital St. John's and produced the "townie" accent which my British friends and Irish business colleagues say sounds like a "f#@kedup" Irish accent smile

The latest generation of kids just sound like people from Ontario frown

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4347218 - 03/27/17 03:49 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA

My Southern drawl waxes and wanes depending on circumstance and audience. Or even topic.

Too many years in the Army talking over the radio or dealing with Yankees and other foreign types forced me to speak neutrally. So the more precise I want my words to be, the less accent.

But given a more relaxed environment or topic, the tongue goes rearward in my mouth and the Alabama comes out.

I'm sure OG thought I sounded like personality disorder when he came to visit.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4347223 - 03/27/17 03:59 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Did your native accent change at all after you were in your new country for a while or have you maintained it?

This question applies as well to people who have moved from one US state to another because accents can and DO vary a lot between different parts of the US.

When I speak Bisaya/Cebuano, that comes with an accent. If I speak Tagalog with that accent, it "gives away" that I'm Bisaya and Tagalogs usually look down on "people from the provinces." They feel that since they (Tagalogs) live in and around the capital, that they're superior. Also, if you go to Manila with a non-Tagalog accent, you're more prone to be scammed... like if you ride a taxi and ask to be brought to one location, the route can change depending on your accent biggrin

Because my dad's family is from Pampanga which is in Luzon, we used to go there a lot and also since we spoke Tagalog in my parent's house, I have a very good Tagalog accent so much so that a random Tagalog speaker can be surprised that I can speak another dialect with the proper accent.

Here's a foreigner doing a very good job... initially speaking in Bisaya/Cebuano and then a little of Ilonngo/Hiligaynon around the 1:44 mark. Not "authentic" obviously but see if you can spot the differences between the Bisaya and Ilonngo accents even if you don't understand the dialect.

link

Coming to the UK, I get mistaken for American/Canadian a lot because of my accent. The initial impression is that I'm Chinese because of how I look... which is funny because I would never pass for Chinese back home, even if you were totally off-your-ass drunk. Even after 7 years, I still haven't picked up the local accent and I don't want to.... it doesn't sound like "proper English" to me. A few other Filipinos who came with me have managed to adopt the accent though, which is annoying whenever I talk to them in english so I switch to Tagalog or a dialect instead. So funny how the accent changes like you've just flicked a switch.

- Ice
#4347224 - 03/27/17 03:59 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
It's not just the accent differences. The real learning is in the TRANSLATION! See the following example to help you all understand how to interpret a Minnesota. I'm originally from New Jersey, but my wife is a small rural town Minnesota gal. Minnesota is a passive-aggressive culture, not like the East Coast.

http://haddayr.livejournal.com/690693.html

Last edited by Plainsman; 03/27/17 04:01 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4347226 - 03/27/17 04:02 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: bones]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by bones
My mom doesn't sound quite as Filipina as she did, but some people hav esaid that she still has some trace of accent left.

Filipinos are great at picking up accents... it becomes a point of pride for some people to sound very "local" after a while. I guess your mom just doesn't bother to get the accent correct, but I don't blame her biggrin

Like I said in the other thread, speaking English and adopting a different accent can be very tiring. It's like English is my work clothes, then Tagalog is my comfy home clothes, but then Bisaya is like being in my bed with silk sheets on. Or swap that analogy for heels/trainers/slippers for women.

- Ice
#4347231 - 03/27/17 04:12 PM Re: Question about accents [Re: Dart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Dart

My Southern drawl waxes and wanes depending on circumstance and audience. Or even topic.

And of course there are varying levels of the "Southern accent" intensity. I've met people who sound just like Foghorn Leghorn from Looney Tunes and I've met people who have just the slightest hint of a Southern accent like what you hear from Bill Clinton or Julianne Moore (film actress).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.