Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4344626 - 03/15/17 06:50 PM VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
The design is based on Sukhoi Pak-50 grip (same used in MongoosT50 from VirPil) - but the adjustable palm rest is based on F-35 grip ([Linked Image]).

============================================================

[rrohdeIntroducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

(Shenzhen, PRC / Norman, Oklahoma USA / Utrecht, The Netherlands) - March 16, 2017

VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

VKB is proud to announce the production launch of the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG).

This controller was developed by AVIAAVTOMATIKA in Russia for Sukhoi’s modernized ‘Flanker’ series of fighter jets, as well as their 5th generation prototypes. VKB engineers adapted the ergonomics of the real ‘Flanker’ grip for the use in flight simulations with only minimal design changes.

The VKB-Sim Modern Combat Grip (MCG) is compatible with the following controllers:

- VKB-Sim Black/Fat Mamba Mk.II/Mk.III
- VKB-Sim Vintage Mamba
- VKB-Sim Gladiator Pro Mk.I/Mk.II
- VKB-Sim Gunfighter
- Thrustmaster® Cougar™ * **
- Thrustmaster® Warthog™ * **

* To ensure compatibility with the Thrustmaster® controller base, the MCG’s axes controls (ministicks/brake axis) will function as hat switch/buttons only
** Via adapter, sold separately

[Linked Image]

MCG Grip Characteristics:

- Made from ABS plastic (injection molding)
- “OMRON" Buttons
- Contactless Ministicks (analog or digital) for Slew Control w/ integrated Push Button
- Trigger #1: Dual Stage Trigger
- Trigger #2: Metal Trigger
- Metal Wheel Brake Lever with Contactless MaRS Sensor
- Adjustable Palm Rest
- Quick Release Fastening
- External Twist Adapter (currently under development)

[Linked Image]

VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG) Production Status:

- The development phase has been completed
- The production run of the injection molds is slated for April 2017
- We’re aiming to start shipping towards the end of May, beginning of June, 2017

Price:

MSRP $99 (plus shipping and tax (where applicable))

For more information, please contact:
NorthAmerica@VKB-Sim.pro
http://www.VKBcontrollers.com

Or
VKB@flightsimcontrols.com
http://www.FlightSimControls.com

====================================

With the "brake lever" and ministick (axes) as TDC, more press buttons instead only HAT corners, two triggers (one dual stage) result in a more flexible and universal grip - include for "Kosmosima" virpilots - that that DeJàVu design used by "high end" joysticks in the last two decades. IMO of course. :P

But lack a "pinky" button to be used as modifier for other buttons. Probable due the height adjustable palm rest...

Notice that excluding the trigger the grip is made in... plastic. wink

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4345067 - 03/17/17 04:50 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Update - based on players feedback (posted in Reddit):

Quick update on the VKB-Sim 'Modern Combat Grip' (MCG) we announced yesterday:
VKB has been looking at feedback on the various discussion forums regarding the lack of a pinky switch on the MCG.
Because of your feedback, the MCG will now receive that much desired extra button.
However, due to the design of the MCG's grip handle, it might have to move up and to the side, but you will get that extra button on the grip!
Also, the 2-way switch on the right side of the MCG's head (meant for your index finger) will be resigned as 4-way switch!

This side 4 way switch is other "inspiration" from F-35 grip.

#4345089 - 03/17/17 06:37 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

Hehe, they should mention both our names in the credits Sokol... you for the palm rest, me for the dampers :p

I don't think making the 2-way in that position is an upgrade by making it a 4-way, but the pinky button sounds like a good addition. Too bad they are making it with finger indentations along the front... what a strange thing to include on a grip with an adjustable palm rest, since that will dictate your fingers into certain positions. I also don't understand the little 'hook' at the end of its nose on the inboard side, but that's just an aesthetic preference. I guess it's like they say though... a camel is a horse designed by a committee! :p

#4345141 - 03/17/17 10:02 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
ATAG_Invictus Offline
ATAG_Invictus  Offline

Great. That should push the production out "two more weeks" (i.e. year's end, maybe farther). It's a bloody wonder VKB ever releases anything, and having items "in stock" every 18 months is not a sustainable business model.

As much as I love my Black Mamba, I may sell it and go the Virpil route now. I'm willing to give VKB until May, but if this becomes yet another product that never gets released because they change direction mid-stream I'm done.

ATAG_INVICTUS

Live on Twitch: ATAG_Invictus

Or better still come JOIN the fun @ The Air Tactical Assault Group

#4345220 - 03/18/17 03:47 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: ATAG_Invictus]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
By what people are asking for add, modify, remove... in IL2.ru this "two more weeks" will be only for decide what to do. biggrin

Last edited by Sokol1; 03/18/17 03:48 PM.
#4346929 - 03/26/17 05:41 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

I've been waiting far too long for VKB to announce that grip!

I like that the slew control is a proper analog stick with click-down, but what I want to know is how the analog modes are handled from an electrical interface standpoint - for instance, if someone wants to use this grip as part of an MMJoy2 or Hempstick-based custom stick project, and how it switches into digital mode when connected to a TM stick base.

#4347244 - 03/27/17 04:35 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
VKB grips electronics is proprietary, they use digital protocol though a 3 wires connector for send grip buttons/axes signal for base controller. This made then incompatible with all other joystick controllers in their original form - what is not too different from other joy brands, they are not compatible in between.

In the version compatible with Tm Warthog base is added a extra electronic circuit for convert this digital protocol signal in Shift Register serial protocol signal trough the PS2 connector used in Tm grips, this make the analog stick (with contactless MaRS sensors) used in HAT (and brake lever) work like as conventional button/HAT and not proportional.

- Same happen in VirPil MongoosT-50 grip compatible with Warthog base, the analog brake lever will send only a button press, since TmW base controller don't support extra axis.

MCG grip version Warthog compatible is suitable for use with other controllers that support Shift Register besides Tm controllers, like MMJoy2, Easy Joy32 One (not sure F2/L2), Hempstick and I suppose Baur and VirPil.

#4348255 - 04/01/17 07:12 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Well, if it's proprietary, what are we waiting for? Put an oscilloscope to the signal lines and let's reverse-engineer it!

Granted, my likely use for this thing won't involve a TM stick base at all, but rather whoever manages to make a DIY FFB stick board a reality, like so. This stick grip definitely yearns for the floor-mounted FFB center stick treatment!
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4290649/open-source-joystick-ffb-diy-ffb-joystick
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172964

#4348317 - 04/01/17 02:22 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
I think for this use VirPil T-50 grip will be more "friendly", don't use that proprietary MaRS sensor, but conventional pot for brake lever - thing is that cost almost twice.

#4348413 - 04/01/17 10:21 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

Originally Posted by Sokol1
I think for this use VirPil T-50 grip will be more "friendly", don't use that proprietary MaRS sensor, but conventional pot for brake lever - thing is that cost almost twice.

Do you know if VKB uses independently constructed/socketed 4-ways/ministicks like VPC/Warthog/rl sticks or does it have switched mounted to pcb's inside the grip like CH Products style? My assumption by the pricepoint is that they will be pcb mounted, and judging by the construction of 2 halves suggests this type of corner cutting as well as the $99 price tag. My guess is they are selling the grips for not much more than they cost to make, in order to entice people to their proprietary mounting system, with VPC opting to keep the 5-pin miniDIN and M36-2 mount TM uses.

Really curious to see these non contact ministicks, although I see a flaw with the idea even if they are really nice. If they have acceptable kinematics for slew control/other ministick tasks, they will have poor feedback as a 4 or 5-way switch and the reverse applies, that if the kinematics favor switch mode it will make for an awkward slew control/ministick though I'm not sure how much this lack of optimization will matter. It's possible I'm, wrong in all my assumptions.

The metal trigger/lever is a plus, but the molded-in finger grooves is a mistake on a grip with an adjustable palmrest imo and I dislike grips that do that in general.

#4348444 - 04/02/17 12:33 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Do you know if VKB uses independently constructed/socketed 4-ways/ministicks like VPC/Warthog/rl sticks or does it have switched mounted to pcb's inside the grip like CH Products style?

They say (in Il2.ru) that plan use the minimum of wires possible inside MCG, what suggest something similar to CH.

Yes, this finger grooves will end big for certain hands and smaller for others, bad idea - examples Tm Top Gun and X-Fighter. VirPil approach for this is more smart.

But VKB guys seems a bit of "hard head" - they are always "right". smile

#4349152 - 04/05/17 04:12 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Chris_Soulreaver Offline
Chris_Soulreaver  Offline

Hello,

@ sokol1 the country's, and in USA state are these places the grips will be available from ?
in my case would be the Norman OK location. Curious what is the name of the place or person that will be handing it in these locations ? thanks in advanced look forward to these grips for my own Yoke project i am building for Star citizen.

(Shenzhen, PRC / Norman, Oklahoma USA / Utrecht, The Netherlands) - March 16, 2017

Oh by the way, I don't know what kind of influence you have on vkb would be cool if they built V-22 osprey Grips MK 1 original grips not the make two ones.

Grip

http://electromechanicalcomponents....22&itemid=1018&imgname=a1057.JPG

Last edited by Chris_Soulreaver; 04/05/17 04:26 AM. Reason: fixed for pics
#4349163 - 04/05/17 05:46 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Soulreaver,

When available you can buy from VKB North America - the guy in charge is flight simmer.

This guy is VKB PR in western forums, I suggest subscribe their Newsletter to get better information about dates.

I don't have more knowledge of future VKB plans, but the priority after release MCG is a grip optimized for "space sim".

I think they don't plan make copy of western grips - to avoid copyright issues. This MCG is just based in PAK-50 grip prototype layout, not copy.

#4352396 - 04/20/17 08:48 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Viper1970 Offline
Viper1970  Offline

Bavaria, near Munich
Hi Sokol,

is the shift register of the Warthog version compatible with the one used in the TM Cougar, too?

My pit is based on older hardware. I'm still using PCB's from the old FLCS & TQS for the programmed keyboard emulation ( I prefer the programmability of those over a DirectX solution). All axis run over USB.

The shift register is the same TM uses in the later Cougar (you could put a PS/2 connector to the shift register of the FLCS and connect it to the Cougar base without any problems). Maybe if the hole in my pocket is gone, I will convert all electronics to Cougar PCB's but they get more and more expensive since they aren't produced any more. This way I can run all via USB and the use of keyboard port is then obsolete.

I know my way is a bit complicated, but I play many older sims too and there is often no way to change buttons by ingame settings, so keyboard emulation is the only way. The last HOTAS which is capable of doing keyboard emulation operating system independent (so you could fully use it in a W9X system too), is the HOTAS Cougar cause of it's possibility to download the programming to the chip in the stick itself. No need for running a software like Target in the background how this is the fact with the Warthog.

To come to the fact: I really would like to buy a VKB MCG cause I like the russian fighter-grips and want to have a "Su-27-Replika", but I don't want to canabalize a new grip for making it compatible with my system. Have made enough grips for the next years biggrin ! So if the MCG-Warthog-version is compatible with the Cougar base too, it might be no problem to get it running in my system.

Many thanks, Viper

CockpitPC1: Ryzen9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2 SSD|2TB M2 SSD|Geforce RTX3090|Reverb G2|Win11Pro
CockpitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|2x Geforce GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: Ryzen9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x 2TB HDD|Geforce RTX2070|Win11 Pro
ComUnitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|Geforce GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlonII X2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|Geforce 5950Ultra|2x VoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME
ComUnitPC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce 256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE
#4352416 - 04/20/17 10:43 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
is the shift register of the Warthog version compatible with the one used in the TM Cougar, too?

Is the same CD4021B m/C, you can use Cougar grip in Warthog base.

For use F22PRO grip (same CD4021B) is need do some wire change for HATS, don't know exactly was.

Thing with VKB is the use proprietary electronics (and connector) in their grips, their shift register signal is send for controller through digital channel and not serial like Warthog/Cougar, so nee a extra electronic circuit for change this digital signal in serial protocol.

I think will be more easy use VirPil T-50 grip for this "FrankenStein" use - their electronics is more conventional. smile

#4352448 - 04/21/17 01:36 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Viper1970 Offline
Viper1970  Offline

Bavaria, near Munich
Hmm,

but the VirPil is twice as expensive as the VKB (171.69$) .

That's already half the way to a mint condition Cougar, I really could need for my homepit electronics. Ok must see what the prices are here in Germany if the VKB is available.

Germans mostly pay extra prices if it comes to electronics and hardware. I wish I could live in the U.S, cause you get much more
simulation-hardware in States and the most for half the price. Even used stuff on ebay is a lot cheaper as it is in Europe.

CockpitPC1: Ryzen9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2 SSD|2TB M2 SSD|Geforce RTX3090|Reverb G2|Win11Pro
CockpitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|2x Geforce GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlonII X2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|Geforce 5950Ultra|2x VoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME
#4352459 - 04/21/17 03:35 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
MCG teased is $99 but seems TmW compatible version will be $130, probable due the need to include a kind of "MCG to TmW " electronic adapter, like the existent models TmW to VKB base, that cost $40, to make MCG axes work as buttons.

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=vkb-accessories

BTW - Want a (real) Mig-21 grip (+ Baur gimbal)?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic...d-rud-x55-pedali-brd-ms-metallokonstruk/

#4352699 - 04/21/17 11:58 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Viper1970 Offline
Viper1970  Offline

Bavaria, near Munich
Hi Sokol,

sadly the second link is unreadable for me, cause it's all in russian. Have to wait for my girlfriend. She is from the ex DDR and can read bit russian biggrin .

I personaly would prefer the virpil stick cause it looks more authentic and if the price without the TM-Kit is nearly the same, it's no question. Maybe I will buy one and canabilize it biggrin . If I do so I will donate the electronics to someone here in the forum who could need it. I need mostly the grip itself and put my own electronics in. Its's hard to get SU-27 grip-replicas here in europe and a real one is mostly much too expensive.

What happend to the Virpil throttle. There isn't anything about it on their webpage? Have they decided to stop the production of the throttle? Was a real promising piece of hardware! There is only one pic together with the stick at the mainpage, but you couldn't buy it until now. I think it's three months or more I heard about it and it's still not available. Would be sad if they do not produce it. Not for me, but it could have been a superb alternative against the Warthog! And as we all know competition is good for us simmers.

#4352729 - 04/22/17 03:35 AM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
VirPil grip use common switches, potentiometer in brake lever and Shift Register compatible with TmW, will be easy add in your "FrankenStick family". smile

Their throttle is planed to came after T50 joystick base (scheduled for May), for now they have only the grip TmW compatible and some accessories.

VKB MCG is supposedly to be available for buy in June.

#4354207 - 04/28/17 03:44 PM Re: VKB MCG - Modern Combat Grip [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Re-design

====================

Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG) Range of Flight Control Grips[/b]

(Shenzhen, PRC / Norman, Oklahoma USA / Utrecht, The Netherlands) - April 28, 2017

VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG) Range of Grips
After VKB’s initial announcement of the MCG Grip back in March of 2017, VKB HQ has gathered a lot of useful feedback from the simulation community across the web. This feedback changed the course of the MCG development and VKB has decided to expand the Modern Combat Grip range to include a total of three variants.

‘Modern Combat Grip’ Design

[Linked Image]

The real grip was developed by AVIAAVTOMATIKA in Russia for Sukhoi’s modernized Flanker series of fighter jets, as well as their 5th generation prototypes. VKB engineers adapted the ergonomics of the real Flanker grip for the use in flight simulations with only minimal design changes.

All MCG variants share the following design features:
- Made with OMRON and ALPS buttons and switches
- Grip made from ABS plastic (injection molding)
- Contactless ministicks (analog* or digital modes) for Slew Control w/ integrated Push Button
- Trigger 1: Dual-stage trigger
- Trigger 2: Metal trigger (foldable)
- Metal analog* wheel brake lever with contactless MaRS sensor
- Adjustable palm rest
- Quick release fastening
- Optional external twist adapter** (currently under development)

* Except for MCG-TM; Thrustmaster(R) bases only function in digital mode
** Except for MCG-TM; optional twist adapter not compatible with Thrustmaster(R) bases

Specific ‘Modern Combat Grip’ features:

[Linked Image]

MCG:
- 14 Programmable Buttons
- 5 Analog Axes
- MSRP $99 (plus shipping)

-MCG-TM
- 23 Programmable Buttons
- Compatible with Thrustmaster(R) Warthog(tm) and Cougar(tm) bases; no adapter needed
- NOTE: To ensure compatibility with the Thrustmaster(R) controller base, the MCG’s axes controls (ministicks/brake axis) will function as digital hat switch/buttons only
- MSRP TBD*

MCG-Pro
- 24 Programmable Buttons
- 6 Analog Axes
- Trigger 2: Metal Folding Trigger with two position sensors (flipped up or down)
- Swappable thumb button (push button or 4-way switch with push)
- MSRP TBD*

*To Be Determined

‘Modern Combat Grip’ Production Status:

- Currently in the mock-up production phase for final ergonomics validation and testing
- Order availability, shipping date, as well as final MSRP for MCG-TM and MCG-Pro to be determined and announced at a later date – stay tuned!

For more information, please contact:
http://www.VKBcontrollers.com
http://www.flightsimcontrols.com
http://www.VKB-Sim.pro

===================

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.