Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4346911 - 03/26/17 01:09 AM True Colors (Trolls)  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I've known of this song for ages, but never really appreciated the Ciny Lauper version version. Lyrics were okay, but it never really captured me. Then there's the Phil Collins version, again never really did anything for me.

Then this evening, I watched Trolls with the family and listened to the Justin Timberlake/Anna Kendrick version and the hairs on the back of my neck just went up. Maybe because it's the slower version? The clear guitar sound? The way it tied into the movie? Either way, it just clicked, hit me rally hard. You know when you've always known the lyrics, but it all made sense JUST NOW? It seems like Justin was "singing from the heart" or "from experience" and was projecting it through the song... cheesy line, I know, but that's how it felt like. I really, really enjoyed this one and wanted to share...

link

Please share if you guys know of any such songs where the original didn't really hit much but a remix/cover version seemed to be a better version of the song...

- Ice
#4346971 - 03/26/17 02:49 PM Re: True Colors (Trolls) [Re: - Ice]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Can't say that I agree with your example of "True Colors", but it's great to be moved by a piece of music, original or not. The only example I can think of (kinda lame in this context) is the joking argument my mom and I have about Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman". Come on, mama, this version is sooooo much better... biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQRDI7mTyw

I'll never forget as a young kid, looking at my brother's "Dark Side of the Moon" LP, wondering how the 'misspelling' of "Any Colour You Like" wasn't caught before printing. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 03/26/17 02:52 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4347177 - 03/27/17 02:13 PM Re: True Colors (Trolls) [Re: - Ice]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
There are a few instances where I liked the cover better than the original, but not many.

The Beatles' cover of Money, for instance, I find superior to the original. I've never heard a cover of a Beatles' song, though, that I liked more.

Sometimes I've enjoyed a remix more than the original song. For example, the remix of Mouth by Bush. The original on their album was just too pondering, but the remix kicked it up a notch and it was far superior.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4347179 - 03/27/17 02:17 PM Re: True Colors (Trolls) [Re: Jedi Master]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jedi Master

The Beatles' cover of Money, for instance, I find superior to the original. I've never heard a cover of a Beatles' song, though, that I liked more.

I like their cover of "Twist and Shout" more than the original Isley Brothers one. However, I like the Isley Brothers "Shout" more than the Beatles cover. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4347295 - 03/27/17 07:58 PM Re: True Colors (Trolls) [Re: - Ice]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Here's another, came up on my daily playlist...

I like Aaron Neville, he's popular in these parts, his first big hit was ""Tell It Like It Is".

I've heard it many times, but I gotta go with Heart's remake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0O7htEkmzM

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4347644 - 03/29/17 02:31 PM Re: True Colors (Trolls) [Re: - Ice]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Never cared for any of Heart's stuff, including this cover. Neville gets the nod from me.

While Blue Swede's cover certainly seemed to have longer legs, and more fame certainly due to its inclusion in Guardian of the Galaxy (and its trailer), I still prefer BJ Thomas' original Hooked on Feeling. Of course, Blue Swede actually did a cover of Jonathan King's cover, which added the ooga-chaka part.
But I always remember the 1968 original first when I think of the song.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4347647 - 03/29/17 02:34 PM Re: True Colors (Trolls) [Re: - Ice]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
How about this cover by the Hoffmeister himself?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.