Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4345729 - 03/20/17 08:56 PM It's Finally Here!  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
In my continuing quest for my first gun... it's finally here! I'm pretty dang sure this is it. The key word for this new model is CARRY. They made changes to the Compact version which I've used at the range and fell in love with. This version is even better. What do you think? I just can't get into Glocks. I tried.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...compact-carry-finally-arrives-shot-2017/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...25AFEC3DC166C70EF49225AFEC&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by Plainsman; 03/20/17 08:57 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4345733 - 03/20/17 09:05 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Pricey... but nice.

The Wife Unit will let you live? It's kinda fun to see your journey from sceptical gun try-out to actually buying one.

#4345740 - 03/20/17 09:50 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Hmmmm. I have an opinion.

First off, if you want a CARRY gun, then the PX4 Compact is pretty heavy considering. (my Ruger carry pistol is 17 oz verses PX4 28 oz)
AND that is the number one reason people change carry guns. Weight. They don't like the weight of the pistol. I have done this 3 times now. HA!
Also look at the Slide on the PX4. (Basing on Previous model) It is tall, and most of the weight it on the top. So the pistol wants to roll forward out of my hand.
I didn't like that top weight. NOW what it does do is make it really recoil friendly.
And lastly, this is the reason I don't like Beretta at all.... they flip the function of the Safety. They make it flip UP to fire. Everyone else makes it flip DOWN to fire.
That will mess you up if you are used to other firearms. Because when you learn the muscle memory, you will automatically push down....

So my suggestion! Go to the Gun Range that rents it and try it. You could fall in love with it, or decide you don't like it. But either way, you do it before dropping $899

Oh and here is the other issue. I bought my first Pistol back in 2005 or so. It was going to be my only pistol. Ever.
Yeah that didn't happen. biggrin

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4345741 - 03/20/17 09:52 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Once again you guys talking about guns makes me think I should get one.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4345742 - 03/20/17 09:54 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Plainsman, keep in mind that is an OPINION.
I have a friend that loves his PX4 so much that he competes and wins with it.
When he won an XD pistol he sold the XD because he was not changing.

You get what fits you best! That will make you happy.
And don't worry about what anyone else shoots... just learn to shoot what you have really well.

~Bill

#4345745 - 03/20/17 10:19 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
mac495 Offline
mac495  Offline

Battlefield MO.
Can you reach that safety with your thumb?

My random .02 from internet land...

Try a sig 320 sub-compact

#4345746 - 03/20/17 10:22 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Pricey... but nice.

The Wife Unit will let you live? It's kinda fun to see your journey from sceptical gun try-out to actually buying one.

The Wife unit is coming around. She refuses to go to the range herself, but I signed up my two daughters for a Women Only Handgun 101 class and she didn't object! I told her I was going to sign up for a rifle class and she didn't object! When I came home from the range last week, she asked me if I had bought a gun. She didn't seem alarmed or about to go ballistic. She was very calm. I said 'no' and her expression didn't change. I think she's where I need her to be right now. I'm just going to buy one and bring it home. All I need to figure out is how to store this thing safely. We don't have any young kids, nor are we visited by young kids, but you never know. I don't know anything about gun safes. Some seem as flimsy as metal file cabinets.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4345747 - 03/20/17 10:24 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Hmmmm. I have an opinion.

First off, if you want a CARRY gun, then the PX4 Compact is pretty heavy considering. (my Ruger carry pistol is 17 oz verses PX4 28 oz)
AND that is the number one reason people change carry guns. Weight. They don't like the weight of the pistol. I have done this 3 times now. HA!
Also look at the Slide on the PX4. (Basing on Previous model) It is tall, and most of the weight it on the top. So the pistol wants to roll forward out of my hand.
I didn't like that top weight. NOW what it does do is make it really recoil friendly.
And lastly, this is the reason I don't like Beretta at all.... they flip the function of the Safety. They make it flip UP to fire. Everyone else makes it flip DOWN to fire.
That will mess you up if you are used to other firearms. Because when you learn the muscle memory, you will automatically push down....

So my suggestion! Go to the Gun Range that rents it and try it. You could fall in love with it, or decide you don't like it. But either way, you do it before dropping $899

Oh and here is the other issue. I bought my first Pistol back in 2005 or so. It was going to be my only pistol. Ever.
Yeah that didn't happen. biggrin

The PX4 Storm Compact is the one I shot. I loved it! I was one with the gun. So much better than a Glock. This new one is the PX4 Compact Carry. I haven't shot one of these. I wonder if it is different? It is thinner. It does not have a safety. Just a decocker which is kind of a safety, I suppose. Isn't it?

I forgot to say that I also shot my first .357 revolver. I couldn't believe how easy it was to hit the target with that gun! I assumed I would miss by at a least foot. It was heavy and had a really long barrel. Reminded me of a foot long hot dog. Man, I could hit dead center! I was so surprised. It only took six bullets, though.

Last edited by Plainsman; 03/20/17 10:30 PM.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4345749 - 03/20/17 10:45 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4345751 - 03/20/17 10:52 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: JimK]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted by JimK

Yes!! That's the gun I shot at the range! Love that pistol. I just hope the new Compact Carry is just as awesome. The Compact Carry looks to be the same size as the Compact but thinner. The Compact Carry is not the same gun as the PX4 Subcompact which is the smallest.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4345752 - 03/20/17 10:58 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
This is what you are taking about then.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4345755 - 03/20/17 11:10 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I'm just going to buy one and bring it home. All I need to figure out is how to store this thing safely. We don't have any young kids, nor are we visited by young kids, but you never know. I don't know anything about gun safes. Some seem as flimsy as metal file cabinets.

The video review that you linked indicates that it comes with a cable style lock. That will keep somebody from just picking it up and firing it.

If you concerned about preventing theft, as opposed to just preventing unsafe handling, then you have some more homework to do.

#4345757 - 03/20/17 11:44 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I agree that the safety up versus down is a poor choice by the manufacturer. You need to try them to see the difference. The thumb is weaker throwing it up and there isn't the soft pad to make it comfortable. Try it on something hard and you will see pushing up with the top of the thumb is weaker and less comfortable than pushing something down.

It being opposite of virtually every other gun I see as a drawback. It goes against habit and muscle memory.

I would have to have other compelling reasons to get that pistol.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4345775 - 03/21/17 01:21 AM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: JimK]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted by JimK
This is what you are taking about then.

No, that's not it. See the link to video on my original post. Beretta has a PX4 Compact, a PX4 Subcompact, and now, a brand new PX4 Compact Carry. That's the actual name of the gun. PX4 Compact Carry. It's the size of the Storm Compact and bigger than the Subcompact. It's been slimmed and enhanced to make it an even better "carry" weapon than the Compact.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4345783 - 03/21/17 02:11 AM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Seeee, I'm the opposite of OG and Bill on the safety, but that's because I hate 1911s and have shot Berettas for 30 years. Now, weirdly, I don't have any Beretta pistols as I sold them to buddies - the last being a Cougar (which I now believe was a design they have since licensed to Stoeger.). So my muscle memory would be opposite. In other words, I wouldn't let that deter you because you have no muscle memory one way versus the other so from a personal to you standpoint it's not odd at all the way Beretta does it.

I do think the PX4 is a great design, but is also relatively heavy. I have a friend who was a lot like you, brand new to shooting and CC. I suggested and he tried and bought the PX4 because he really liked it, and really wanted the safety set up it has versus striker fired pistols. Alll good reasons. But unless you go with a revolver or a striker fired like a Glock 26, it's a good choice. But just don't skimp on the holster and belts. A good one can help mitigate the weight quite a bit.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4345789 - 03/21/17 03:01 AM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: oldgrognard]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

I think you should buy one. It will make you feel better, OG.

~Bill

#4345790 - 03/21/17 03:10 AM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by Plainsman

The Wife unit is coming around. She refuses to go to the range herself, but I signed up my two daughters for a Women Only Handgun 101 class and she didn't object! I told her I was going to sign up for a rifle class and she didn't object! When I came home from the range last week, she asked me if I had bought a gun. She didn't seem alarmed or about to go ballistic. She was very calm. I said 'no' and her expression didn't change. I think she's where I need her to be right now. I'm just going to buy one and bring it home. All I need to figure out is how to store this thing safely. We don't have any young kids, nor are we visited by young kids, but you never know. I don't know anything about gun safes. Some seem as flimsy as metal file cabinets.

That is excellent. I think it is great that you can have your two daughters learn how to shoot.
As for the Wife, I suggest that you start her with a .22 pistol
Super fun, easy to shoot, excellent gun to learn on. Builds confidence.

Storage: Well you can get a desk drawer type safe for $80--100. These are the biometric or keyed lock style boxes.
But OG will tell you that you need a Gun Safe. Now you tell the Wife you need a .... Safe. So you can put your valuables, important documents, passports, and oh yeah guns in it. wink
Seriously, if you are just wanting to keep people away from it, the steel gun cabinets are fine. I you want to protect the guns, then a real safe is needed. Costco usually has some decent starter safes (18 gun) for about $500
So what you are telling me is that you shoot the PX4 really well. Then you should try to rent the Compact. That could seal the deal for you. Remember when you buy a gun, they usually will NOT take it back. So be sure you get the one you want and are comfortable with it.
Then go shoot a FiveSeven pistol. winkngrin

Didn't you shoot the AR rifle? Are you going to get one?

~Bill

#4345794 - 03/21/17 03:55 AM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

I think you should buy one. It will make you feel better, OG.

I don't go reaching every time I hear a noise in the house or something rattling outside in the wind, but I am prepared and have rehearsed this scenario many times in my mind. I also rely on my two Jack Russells who are always alert to their surroundings (especially our male, Ralphie). Once he woke us up with intense barking (wife and I are both very deep sleepers) when her mom fell in the bathroom and was calling for help. We run a noisy floor fan in the bedroom and still he heard her and barked enough to get our attention (more so than the occasional cutting up they do when hearing the dogs on the other side of the pond). I trust their keen senses, especially their hearing. If I thought they were detecting real danger or, of course, the house alarm goes off in the middle of the night (likely with glass breaking), I'd shove my wife off the far side of the bed (opposite the door) and follow, then aim center of our locked door until I could figure out what's going on. Alarm would be an automatic distress call but I'd still call 911 on the cell in case the line was cut.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4345821 - 03/21/17 11:03 AM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Rotating barrel actions shoot softer than the typical Browning style tipping barrel setup. I didn't realize there was any available in such a compact package, although I have to say that this Px4 Compact Carry doesn't look particularly compact.

From a quick search, it looks like you may be able to replace the derpy slide mounted safety with a decocker, or possibly even order it that way.

A decocker safely lowers the hammer on a chambered round when its engaged, but doesn't disable the trigger. The long and heavy double action first shot alone should provide plenty of a margin of safety for anyone that's not a window lick.

#4345889 - 03/21/17 04:28 PM Re: It's Finally Here! [Re: Plainsman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
From what I can tell, the lever is just a decocker. On http://www.beretta.com/en-us/px4-storm-compact-carry/ features tab, item 10 is the lever in question. It says:

10. Stealth Levers Decock Only (G-Model)

They only show one model being available, so it would seem that is the "G-Model". Plus, I have not seen any pictures showing the lever in the downward position with the hammer cocked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.