Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4342005 - 03/04/17 09:57 AM Jane's F-15 keeps bobbing - broken flight model?  
burroughs Offline
burroughs  Offline

It took me some time to realize that perhaps the flight model I am getting in my installation is not the one intended. I reinstalled the game some time ago, but think it used to be like these before, too. I have searched the net and found quite a few number of reports on that issue, but no satisfactory solution. I am using T-Flight X HOTAS and it works great in most of the sims I am flying - had to invert the axes in F/A-18 Hornet PSF and use two other pieces of software like Joystick Curves and the like for Digital Integration F/A - 18 E Super Hornet , bu that's all. However,, F-15 is simply unplayable as it seems; I can't stabilize the VV enough to land on numerous attempts and while in flight the jet is behaving like an overloaded lorry on a mountainous track, the nose keeps bobbing like hell., even if equipped with guns and Sidewinders only. Actually it's the last flight sim to fly on my list - it's not the navy aviation after all - and I know that lots of missions from F-15 trickled into F/A-18 Iraqi addon, but thought it won't hurt to be able to fly an Eagle. So far it's a waste of time. I am using the game on Win7 X64, Nvidia graphic card, the drivers for the joy are in place, I was trying with various in-game flight model options, but the bobbing issue has never gone away a single time.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4342351 - 03/06/17 04:12 PM Re: Jane's F-15 keeps bobbing - broken flight model? [Re: burroughs]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Do you have v1.17 patch installed? I can't remember if it changed anything to the FM, but I was able to land easily each time. I did altered the joystick curves in game options though since the plane is very twitchy and can increase AoA very fast. The default corve setting is just too sensitive. Note that I have the same joystick as you. Also bear in mind that you have to be very gentle on the controls - at corner speed if you yank the stick full back you will bleed off speed instantaneously.

#4342411 - 03/06/17 07:32 PM Re: Jane's F-15 keeps bobbing - broken flight model? [Re: burroughs]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Nancy, North-East of FRANCE
Hi, burroughs,

Seems to me - though I may be wrong - you're running an 'unpatched' version (1.02 ?). As mentioned above you might want to get the 1.17 patch installed.

Anyways, I thought I'd give you a link to some interesting article 'Jane's F-15 to the max' featured on the archives from the good old website Combatsim : http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archive/htm/htm_arc2/f15max4.htm
You'll find a picture showing some custom settings for the joystick in Jane's F-15. It's kind of small to look at but you can make out the values if you pay enough attention to it.

Finally, I'll point you towards one of my posts summarizing some of the improvements and changes brought by the 1.17 patch : http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...u-usaf-working-under-seven-6#Post3860369

Hope that helps,

Fly safe,

Andro.

Last edited by Andromedius; 03/06/17 07:34 PM.

'Au Royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus'. Pierre Dac.
In the land of the blind, one-eyed men are badly looked upon.
#4343755 - 03/11/17 09:48 PM Re: Jane's F-15 keeps bobbing - broken flight model? [Re: burroughs]  
burroughs Offline
burroughs  Offline

Thanks guys. The game is and had been previously patched to 1.17, too. I am slowly digesting the content and input you have kindly provided. Well, so far I have adjusted the joystick curve in the game controller setup, but it was of little use so far - perhaps I should not be landing with full combat gear, but that's just theory - in practice this bird could be just returning from an armed reconnaissance mission which proved to be cold. Anyway, I still can observe the nose bobbing, just gentler perhaps. On final approach I need to work the stick to keep that from diving in a growingly uncontrolled manner, the A0A is about 20 by then and I cannot even see the VV aligned with the glideslope and the centerline., it's somewhere right beyond the cockpit frontal field of view. Every other landing attempt ends in a crash and if I succeed it's like landing in an early naval Phantom - no sight of the strip.

I could not log in here for some time ... Odd or not?

#4343773 - 03/11/17 11:18 PM Re: Jane's F-15 keeps bobbing - broken flight model? [Re: burroughs]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
By the looks of it it seems to me you try to land on specific speed which is a bad habbit. You should forget about the speed and land on AoA. The appropriate landing speed is tied to gross weight, but the AoA should be always the same regardless of weight. So if you have lots of fuel and didn't spent your loadout, you might found yourself landing @200kts. As long as sink rate is not exceeded, you should be fine.

Also if you have patch installed you should check out the patch.txt file in your install directory. There are plenty of useful info about the changes, such as:

F. Flight Model enhancements and changes:

- The fidelity of the pitch trim curve was refined. This has
significantly improved the performance of the Pitch Trim Compensator
(PTC) at speeds below 300 KIAS. Slow speed pitch up with forward
stick input has been eliminated as a result, and slow speed flight
in general has been much improved.

- Expert landings now incorporate sink rate, which had been
inadvertently disabled. The maximum allowable sink rate during
landing is based on aircraft gross weight and is shown in the
following table:

Gross weight (lb) Allowable sink rate (feet per minute)
up to 35,000 900
40,000 828
45,000 756
50,000 702
55,000 648
60,000 603
65,000 558
70,000 522
75,000 486
80,000 441

- Landing above the maximum allowable sink rate may cause damge to the
aircraft or may even cause it to explode, depending on how much the
limit is exceded by.

#4345382 - 03/19/17 12:00 PM Re: Jane's F-15 keeps bobbing - broken flight model? [Re: burroughs]  
burroughs Offline
burroughs  Offline

That would get the job done on most occasions according to what i have tried so far, but I must admit I am a bit puzzled by the way it works. I can remember that there was a remark somewhere that a real-life F-15 E pilot once praised the way the game models the aircraft, but that was before the later patch. Was that patch 1.17? Besides I had an impression that the patch somehow eased the way the aircraft was handled and that diminished the realism of the simulation. Well, that's likely, but it's hard to say that it's easier in any way.

However, the sim is too good to be left out as it seems so I hope that it's just the practice which makes best.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.